What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Alec Pierce, IND (1 Viewer)

Why did he leave the Senior Bowl?  Saw some podcasts that said he was terrible at practice and probably left to not embarrass himself further.  One would have thought he would be on the same page with his QB since his college QB was there.  His stock is plummeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce posted an unofficial time of 4.33 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. 

In true "blow up the Combine" fashion, Pierce added a 40.5-inch vertical jump and 10'9" broad jump. Quite the performance for a man who stands in at 6-foot-3, 213 pounds. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein has graded Pierce as an "average backup or special teamer," but this will earn the American Athletic Conference product a longer look after he posted a 52/884/8 line in 2021. 

SOURCE: NFL.com 

Mar 3, 2022, 9:53 PM ET

Matt Miller says Alec Pierce is good enough to start as a rookie WR3 starter with his size and athletic ability. 

Pierce (6'3"/211) has outstanding explosion and straight-line speed that make him a deadly vertical threat. He ran a 4.41 40, and his 40.5" vertical led the WRs at the Combine. That's rare for a guy who's not small at 6'3", and he knows how to use his size and leaping ability to box out and out jump defenders on medium and deep routes. He had a 9.62 RAS, putting him 97th out of 2557 WRs tested in the last 35 years, with his only flaw being his agility scores. When compared to the rest of the class though, those aren't even that bad, ranking sixth amongst Combine WRs in the three-cone and fourth in the short shuttle. The slot makes a ton of sense for Pierce as it will help him avoid the press and use his athleticism to the fullest. Pierce isn't put into that top group of receivers, but he is certainly right below them and has the tools to be one of the most productive in the draft, especially in year one. 

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Apr 4, 2022, 1:00 PM ET

Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce had top-30 pre-draft meetings with the Bengals and Bears.

Pierce (6'3"/211) is an outstanding athlete with incredible jumping scores and a great 40 (4.41) for his size. Pierce had a nice season for the Bearcats, going 884/8 and has shown a great contested catch ability as well. He easily could be one of the best WRs in the class with his physical abilities and deep threat capability, and considering he won't cost a first round pick than many of these other guys he might just be the best value. The Bears in particular could really use WR help for Justin Fields, while the Bengals could be looking to retool, especially with Tyler Boyd nearing the end of his contract.

SOURCE: Justin M on Twitter

Apr 27, 2022, 3:45 PM ET

Could see a team like, ooooh I don’t know… Pittsburgh selecting Ridder in the 1st then Pierce 2nd.  Keep that connection going to ease the transition. 

Colts selected Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Desmond Ridder's WR1 will have a shot to be the immediate WR2 for the receiver-desperate Colts. Pierce (6'3/211) is a former volleyball player, which helps explain his stellar 40.5-inch vertical at the Combine. Pierce also impressed with a 129-inch broad jump and a 4.41 40. His athleticism helps alleviate concerns about a lack of production during his four-year Cincinnati career. Pierce wasn't totally uninvolved; He had a decent 26% career yardage share. However, he never emerged as a dominant weapon in college, operating instead as a field stretcher with a 16.8 career aDOT. It's possible his downfield skill-set will be unlocked in the NFL, and he brings the necessary size and athleticism to continue operating as a deep threat as a pro. He projects on the Marquez Valdez-Scantling spectrum.

Apr 29, 2022, 8:46 PM ET

Why did he leave the Senior Bowl?  Saw some podcasts that said he was terrible at practice and probably left to not embarrass himself further.  One would have thought he would be on the same page with his QB since his college QB was there.  His stock is plummeting.
Hope that was nothing now that the Colts drafted him.  I still don't know why they took him over Skyy Moore, but I suppose Ballard has his reasons.

Colts draft WR Alec Pierce: How he fits with Indy 

Film Room: What Does Newest Colts' Wide Receiver Alec Pierce Bring to the Team?

NFL Rumors: Teams Praise Jets for Draft Picks and 'Jealous' Colts Got WR Alec Pierce

Excerpt:

The Indianapolis Colts were among those that earned praise after the draft, per Fowler:

"Teams like what the Indianapolis Colts did because they didn't have a first-round pick and they got a bunch of needs filled with some really good players. I talked to some teams that were in the receiver market and were sort of jealous that they got Cincinnati wideout Alec Pierce in the second round, he's going to be a big-time player."

Alec Pierce was the 21st pick in the second round and the 12th receiver taken in the draft, but he could end up being a steal. The 6'3" wideout led Cincinnati with 52 catches for 884 yards and eight touchdowns last season and should quickly transition as an exciting downfield threat for the Colts and new quarterback Matt Ryan.

Grading the Colts' draft selection of WR Alec Pierce

10 Colts Things Learned About 2022 NFL Draft: Chris Ballard's Strategy, Alec Pierce's Fit, Jelani Woods' Upside And More

Excerpt:

3. Frank Reich sees Alec Pierce as a versatile, explosive weapon.

Frank Reich's offense usually requires receivers to know how to play multiple positions – split out to the field, in the slot or to the boundary. For example: Michael Pittman Jr. has played 20 percent of his snaps in the slot over the last two years; Zach Pascal played about 25 percent of his snaps outside in the same span. So even if receivers are primarily outside or slot guys, they have to be effective lining up elsewhere.

And the Colts believe Pierce has the talent and football IQ to be a primarily-outside yet versatile receiver in Reich's offense.

"I like him on the outside," Reich said. "I think he'll move around, and we'll see how much he'll play. He'll compete but as you guys know, it's play by play. We're going to move the guys around multiple positions. They need to be smart enough to do that, all of our receivers are, and he fits in that mold as well.

"One of the things I like on his tape is I like him outside. I think he's very good versus press, I think he's got length and vertical speed to get down the field. I think for his size, he's a very good route runner. So, it'll be fun to see him grow and develop and compete over these next couple of months."

While Pierce didn't get a ton of opportunities in the slot at Cincinnati, the opportunity to learn how to play that position is one he's excited to dive into as he begins his career in the NFL over the next few weeks.

"I love doing either," Pierce said. "I mean, I got a lot more opportunities at Cincinnati playing on the outside. But the small chances I did get to play in the slot, I loved it. You get a lot of mismatches in there and matchups with people other than cornerbacks. So, it's usually a pretty good deal when you're in the slot."

4. Pierce fits the mentality the Colts want from their wide receivers, too.

The Colts aren't worried about Pierce's ability to develop as a route-runner – that's something most wide receivers need to hone in on in making the jump from college to the NFL.

"That's more common that not for guys coming out of college football, particularly a lot of the schemes that are being run nowadays," Henry said. "And it's just basically along the same lines of a running back that needs to get better at pass pro — sometimes they're just not asked to do it. ... I think you could probably say that for at least half of the receivers coming out of college, they need work on the route tree because they have't run a full tree.

"The thing we look at in that regard is, okay, is this guy athletic enough? (Pierce) certainly is. Is this guy intelligent? Does have have instincts? He does. Is he coachable? Is he willing to learn? Is he willing to work and perfect that craft? I think he checks all those boxes, so I think we're in good shape with him."

But here's the other thing with Pierce, one which fits a sneaky need – a need only a team with one of the best running backs in the NFL can actually consider.

Pierce likes to block. And he's good at it, too.

"We think he's going to be able to do a lot of the stuff that Zach (Pascal) did blocking for us in the run game," Ballard said, "which is really important."

This is a guy who was so physical Cincinnati tried him out as a SAM linebacker for a few practices during bowl season his freshman year. And the opportunity to help turn Jonathan Taylor runs from 10 yards to 70 yards is one he's looking forward to at the NFL level, too.

"It gives you more motivation to block because he's a really good running back and he's gonna be able to get through that hole and get to the second level, get to those DBs," Pierce said in an interview on the Colts Audio Network. "So you want to be out there covering men up and making it easier for him to get past those DBs."

I'm intrigued, and looking at early rookie ranks, could be a value play.
Agreed.  I see him ranked as low as 30 and more than a few in that late 2nd/early 3rd range.  Would love it if he fell to me there!  Only a matter of time before Paris Hilton Campbell breaks a nail or gets an ingrown eyelash and is out for the year again.  

Super intrigued and I had no idea he tested so well at the combine. I dug into Ridder tape recently and was repeatedly blown away by how good Pierce looked. Additionally, he and Ridder had *really* good chemistry. Lots of back shoulder stuff. Lots of throwing to a spot only he can make the play. I was very impressed and that was before I knew he was such a great athlete.

Add in DC and the fact he is flying under the radar right now... yeah he is a target.

Super intrigued and I had no idea he tested so well at the combine. I dug into Ridder tape recently and was repeatedly blown away by how good Pierce looked. Additionally, he and Ridder had *really* good chemistry. Lots of back shoulder stuff. Lots of throwing to a spot only he can make the play. I was very impressed and that was before I knew he was such a great athlete.

Add in DC and the fact he is flying under the radar right now... yeah he is a target.
It's almost like watching Rodgers to Nelson TDs and sideline catches from yesteryears. 

Saw a bunch of Cincinnati games and he looked good. Just wonder if his talent will translate to the NFL like or unlike many have over the years. Should be a good red zone target. Have time to wait and see. Good luck you guys with early rookie drafts.

Saw a bunch of Cincinnati games and he looked good. Just wonder if his talent will translate to the NFL like or unlike many have over the years. Should be a good red zone target. Have time to wait and see. Good luck you guys with early rookie drafts.
Fair point, but problem is that Pittman is as well. Target opportunities may not be plentiful and he may be very much a boom or bust guy - well see.

Nate Atkins of The Indianapolis Star projects second-round rookie WR Alec Pierce as the Colts' starting Z receiver.

The Colts lost Zach Pascal in free agency and haven't re-signed T.Y. Hilton yet. The depth chart as a whole is rather inexperienced, as Ashton Dulin is the only backup wideout on the roster that returns with more than 10 catches last season. Oft-injured Parris Campbell is slotted in as the third receiver. The Colts would be a team that makes plenty of sense in the Will Fuller/Jarvis Landry/Julio Jones discussion if Hilton ultimately doesn't return. Alternately, they could just start Pierce right away, which would put him on the fantasy radar. 

RELATED: 

T.Y. Hilton

, Parris Campbell

SOURCE: Indianapolis Star

May 9, 2022, 2:56 PM ET

I for sure got dubious about Jordy comps, because you know. But still thought this was to compelling cases being made for him that were explained well, and fwiw Simms threw in some Metcalf and Claypool comps as well.

Twitter thread from ex-NFL scout who scouted Jordy,  says Pierce is closest thing he's ever seen to him and explains why he's a good fit with Colts

Twitter thread from Chris Simms comping Pierce to a faster Jordy Nelson and then providing a lengthy explanation via video why he is his #3WR

I'm looking at the rookies now and he's one of the players from this class who popped for me. Possibly the best option of the day 2 WRs. I might like Watson more and Pickens is interesting, but I would clearly have Pierce ahead of Wan'Dale, Metchie, Thornton, Skyy, and all the round 3 guys.

Jordy comp? I don't know. Jordy was so vertical in college (famously toasted Aqib Talib 1v1 deep). This guy tests like an unreal deep threat, but plays a little differently. The comp that actually came to mind was Eric Decker for me. Think there are a lot of similarities. Good athlete, but not freaky. Adequate speed (don't quite think he plays up to the stopwatch). Excellent body control and contortionist abilities. Not an elite separator on intermediate routes, but looks very comfortable vying for the contested catch. Should make a strong #2 WR for an NFL team and can potentially be prolific in that role (think Thielen, Decker, Drew Bennett).

Looks to be a nice value in rookie drafts. He's not some sensational monster who's going to take the league by storm, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a long and productive career as a piece of the puzzle. Decker's rookie ADP was probably right around 15-20, and he wound up having three NFL seasons with 1k+ yards. This guy feels very similar in terms of ADP, skill set, and long-term trajectory.

Sure it's rookie mini-camp but you know you love to hear it:

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1525541288157884416

@HolderStephen

I considered not tweeting this because I know the replies will be extreme in either direction, but… Alec Pierce had some moments of dominance in today’s Colts rookie camp practice. Absolutely killed it in the red zone.

This doesn’t indicate whether he’ll do this in September. But you want your top pick to be the best player on the field in rookie camp. And he was.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1525535042155466752

@JoelAErickson

I haven’t seen Alec Pierce drop a ball this weekend, and we’ve just seen him make two big jump-ball catches in the end zone

Sure it's rookie mini-camp but you know you love to hear it:

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/1525541288157884416

@HolderStephen

I considered not tweeting this because I know the replies will be extreme in either direction, but… Alec Pierce had some moments of dominance in today’s Colts rookie camp practice. Absolutely killed it in the red zone.

This doesn’t indicate whether he’ll do this in September. But you want your top pick to be the best player on the field in rookie camp. And he was.

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/status/1525535042155466752

@JoelAErickson

I haven’t seen Alec Pierce drop a ball this weekend, and we’ve just seen him make two big jump-ball catches in the end zone
These are great, because you either get to pat yourself on the back for paying attention to camp reports, or you get to say next summer, "oh, yeah, remember when we heard Pierce was dominating last May? Pffft!!"

Win/win

(RotoWire) Pierce (undisclosed) is participating in Saturday's rookie minicamp practice, Joel A. Erickson of The Indianapolis Star reports. Analysis: The Colts didn't specify what caused Pierce to leave Friday's practice early, so we're left assuming the 2022 second-round pick was dealing with a case of dehydration which was hinted at by coach Frank Reich. The Cincinnati product is expected to compete for a starting WR spot opposite Michael Pittman.

Obviously as a Colts fan I hope he is good, because I was pissed Ballard passed on Skyy Moore to select Pierce.  I hope he knows what he's doing.

Obviously as a Colts fan I hope he is good, because I was pissed Ballard passed on Skyy Moore to select Pierce.  I hope he knows what he's doing.
I personally like Pierce a lot better than Moore. I know Moore went to the Chiefs but even with that advantage I am taking Pierce over him every time. I think Pierce has enough upside to be a number one receiver for a team whereas I think Moore is better suited for a 2 or 3.

I personally like Pierce a lot better than Moore. I know Moore went to the Chiefs but even with that advantage I am taking Pierce over him every time. I think Pierce has enough upside to be a number one receiver for a team whereas I think Moore is better suited for a 2 or 3.
Why do you think Moore is better suited for a 2 or 3?  From what I read he is very good in open space and has the speed.  Much like Tyreek Hill if I'm not overstepping my bounds here.  

Why do you think Moore is better suited for a 2 or 3?  From what I read he is very good in open space and has the speed.  Much like Tyreek Hill if I'm not overstepping my bounds here.  
You did not ask me but I personally feel like Skyy Moore is more of a Golden Tate type inside WR/slot then someone you can line up outside. Not really much like Tyreek at all to me other then being short.

Fantasy speaking I'd still take Skyy because Mahomes. But in terms of real NFL I can absolutely see why Ballard thought higher of Pierce.

He is a nice small school prospect but I don’t see anything special that pops on tape. At 5-10 I would like to see more suddenness in his game. I actually liked Eskridge’s tape better when he came out of WMU the prior year. Pierce plays more fierce, has better quicks out of breaks, larger frame, better contested catcher, and can also get vertical. I am far from an expert though, but I think you will grow to like Ballards choice.

I will add that I think Tyreek is a generational freak and Moore is not in the zip code physically as him. As crazy quick & fast as Tyreek is I don’t think he gets enough credit for how freaky his physical traits are.

He is a nice small school prospect but I don’t see anything special that pops on tape. At 5-10 I would like to see more suddenness in his game. I actually liked Eskridge’s tape better when he came out of WMU the prior year. Pierce plays more fierce, has better quicks out of breaks, larger frame, better contested catcher, and can also get vertical. I am far from an expert though, but I think you will grow to like Ballards choice.

I will add that I think Tyreek is a generational freak and Moore is not in the zip code physically as him. As crazy quick & fast as Tyreek is I don’t think he gets enough credit for how freaky his physical traits are.

Yea, finding the next Tyreek is like finding the next Moss or Calvin. The number of guys who evoke the comparison because they share a few superficial traits is high, but basically you're trying to replicate a 1/1. My comparison for Skyy is Deion Branch, another smallish 2nd round WR with quality talent who featured with a HoF QB and produced some decent seasons. That's probably a more realistic trajectory.

It's not revisionist to say Tyreek's mobility always looked special. Even as a gadget player at OSU, he had reps and plays that were jaw-dropping. He also had track times that put even the fastest NFL players to shame. At that point it was just tough to predict his NFL outlook because he was a positionless "weapon" who split time between the backfield and returns. There was really no way of knowing he had elite WR skills. That was a surprise development, but the athleticism was always otherworldly.

This is what I said about him shortly after he was drafted:

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/749107-wr-tyreek-hill-mia/#comment-19467808

He looked like a first round athlete at Oklahoma State. Screwed up big off the field.

If he stays out of trouble, no reason why he can't have a long and productive NFL career.

He's a bit of a tweener though. Not really a RB. Not an ideal outside WR. Looks like they will use him as a versatile slot guy.

IMO, he is a better pure athlete than Tavon Austin or Brandin Cooks, two first round guys he reminded me of in college. He has power that Austin never had and is just a more juiced version of Cooks with better sideways quickness. I think he could've been drafted in the top 25 if he'd had a more productive college career. The athletic parts have always been there. However, he was pretty raw at Oklahoma State and a year in the wilderness at a small school probably didn't do him much good. He will get better and his ability to do different things will grow.

I don't see him ever being Antonio Brown or anything like that, but we've seen that non-traditional playmakers can find a great niche in today's NFL (i.e. Reed, Woodhead, Edelman). If they commit to getting the ball in his hands 8-12 times per game, a lot can happen.

Sometimes players surprise you with their upside, but on the surface I didn't see anything in Skyy's film that screamed freak.

Pierce isn't that level of talent either, but the style comparisons may point to a higher trajectory (Decker is my go-to comparison).

I like pierce quite a bit as well. I was able to grab him 14-18 picks later than skyy in my drafts(idp).  Good luck and draft smart. 

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports WR Alec Pierce was a "featured" red zone target in the Colts' rookie minicamp. 

Holder said Pierce, taken with the 53rd pick in the 2022 NFL Draft after wowing teams at the combine, dominated opponents near the end zone with two "eye-opening touchdown catches that each displayed his ability to use his long frame to his advantage." Pierce talked up his ability to get into position to make grabs in tight spaces near the end zone. “I think definitely my ability to go up and make contested catches, to go up over people, is definitely one of my strong suits," said Pierece, a field stretcher at Cincinnati with a 16.9 career average depth of target. "Being able to go up and make tough catches and twist your body, and really make a huge catch radius, the quarterback’s able to throw the ball wherever and you can make the play. You’re kind of always open that way.” The rookie's presence and downfield ability should prevent opposing defenses from focusing entirely on Michael Pittman this season. Pierce will likely be a boom-bust fantasy option in a run-first Indianapolis offense. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 16, 2022, 9:11 AM ET

Colts signed No. 53 overall pick WR Alec Pierce to a four-year contract. 

The contract is worth $6.6 million and includes a signing bonus worth roughly $2 million. Pierce has already turned some heads in Indy, nabbing multiple red zone scores during his time in rookie minicamp. He was mainly used as a deep threat during his college days at Cincinnati. If he can add a consistent red zone role to the presumed field-stretching work he should see as a rookie, Pierce could make an immediate impact for fantasy purposes. 

May 16, 2022, 5:13 PM ET

Colts coach Frank Reich said the team is "definitely pushing" second-round WR Alec Pierce to compete for a starting role.

"He's done a good job so he's going to compete for every snap, right? It's a very competitive group. We're definitely pushing him and want him in the mix." A deep threat at Cincy, Pierce has been a featured red-zone target in offseason workouts. The Colts are a run-first offense that used 12 personnel on 23% of plays last year, but with no proven options behind Michael Pittman, Pierce has a clear path to Year 1 targets.

SOURCE: USA Today Sports

Jun 5, 2022, 9:20 AM ET

Didn't Reich just get done saying how Parris Campbell looked like a star or something?  

Seems like less than high praise to be “pushing” a second round pick for playing time. 
I’m on board with him in deep leagues, so hoping he’s decent. 

you'll be on board with him in all leagues before long. 
Maybe. All my dynasty leagues start a minimum of 36 or 48 and a maximum of 72-80 WR total. I like his chances to be relevant there. Not so much in leagues starting 24-36 WR. 

Louis Riddick Names 1 NFL Player Who Is Going To "Shock" Fans

...there's one in particular that will shock everyone this upcoming season. According to ESPN's Louis Riddick, that player is Alec Pierce.  

...The Indianapolis Colts selected Pierce with the 53rd overall pick in this year's draft.

Pierce, who measures in at 6-foot-3, had a nice career at Cincinnati. Last season, he hauled in 52 passes for 884 yards and eight touchdowns.  

While there's no guarantee Pierce will be a Week 1 starter for the Colts, it seems like it's only a matter of time before he makes a noticeable impact. 

Users who are viewing this thread