What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Brian Robinson Jr. - WAS (1 Viewer)

Alabama senior RB Brian Robinson has accepted an invitation to the 2022 Senior Bowl.

Robinson (6'1/225) along with defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis both accepted invites to the Senior Bowl, which is set to be played on February 5th. Robinson led the Crimson Tide in rushing this season, toting the rock 223 times for 1,071 yards and 14 touchdowns while averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Per Pro Football Focus, Robinson Forced 63 tackles on the season, and had 16 carries of 15+ yards on the year. PFF.com graded Robinson. Mathis played in all 13 games for Bama this season, totaling 46 tackles, including 10 tackles for a loss and eight sacks.

SOURCE: 247Sports.com

Dec 8, 2021, 2:53 PM ET

As more and more teams go to some form of RBBC I can see Robinson being a solid NFL RB...the kid has nice size and always runs hard and it appears he has receiving skills as well...my guess is his fantasy upside will not be overly high but he could really put a nice dent into someone else's value, especially if he becomes a goal-line RB.

NFL Draft analysts discuss Alabama football's Brian Robinson Jr., Phidarian Mathis at Senior Bowl

Excerpts:

Brian Robinson Jr. evaluation

Senior Bowl practices aren't the best venue for a running back such as Robinson. Some of his best skills – vision, physicality and ability to make cuts – are limited in individual drills.

Good thing Robinson has a solid year of tape.

"I like Brian as a back," Matt Miller, a draft analyst for ESPN/The Draft Scout, told The Tuscaloosa News. "It’s a deep running back class. I think the key for him here is seeing that runaway speed. Seeing his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is so, so huge."

Miller said teams watch the tape and know a players' ability, so Robinson won't necessarily get knocked for not being the fastest player at the Senior Bowl.

"Arian Foster wasn’t the fastest running back and he had great vision," Miller said. "He had great contact balance and he was very successful. I think Brian could be a similar player where you’re never going to win the combine but it’s the other stuff. Kind of the intangibles. His vision, his toughness, his consistency, I think those are big keys for him."

Edholm sees some of the same characteristics in Robinson as former Alabama running back Damien Harris.

As for Robinson, Edholm and Miller each called him a round three or four pick.

“If he runs a 4.7 at the combine, that’s obviously going to hurt his stock," Miller said. "You need to be at least as fast as we think you are. If he takes care of business in Indy, I don’t think round 3 is crazy. Round 4, I’d be a little more comfortable with that projection. Definitely has a chance to be a top 120 pick I would think."

Brian Robinson Jr. Wins American Team Running Back of the Week at the Senior Bowl

NBC Sports Edge:

Former Alabama RB Brian Robinson was named top RB on the American team during the player-of-the-week awards ceremony at the Senior Bowl.

Robinson (6'1"/225) won the award over Florida's Dameon Pierce, Florida International's D'Vonte Price and South Carolina's ZaQuandre White. WIth being a big bruiser-type RB he didn't start the week too well when the players went without pads, but when the pads came on was when he shined. He was able to show that power-running ability that helped average 4.8 yards per carry season. The highlight of the week came not on one of his runs but when he had a pass block rep against Georgia's Channing Tindall and absolutely stuffed him. If he can show he has that skill, his stock will continue to rise.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy

Feb 4, 2022, 4:52 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing special
I'm not saying you are incorrect here but can you unpack some of the reasoning behind this conclusion?

-Is it because it took him 5 years before he finally showed he could handle a big chunk of the touches? 

-Is it because when he finally got the break to be the starter or see a lot of touches as a 5th year Senior that he only managed 5 yds a clip? With the type of OL he likely had in front of him it should have been much easier, right? 

There's a lot of things that could point to you saying these things, just curious if you are hanging your hat one one particular thing. 

I'm not saying you are incorrect here but can you unpack some of the reasoning behind this conclusion?

-Is it because it took him 5 years before he finally showed he could handle a big chunk of the touches? 

-Is it because when he finally got the break to be the starter or see a lot of touches as a 5th year Senior that he only managed 5 yds a clip? With the type of OL he likely had in front of him it should have been much easier, right? 

There's a lot of things that could point to you saying these things, just curious if you are hanging your hat one one particular thing. 
Just watched almost every snap and all I can say is they really had nobody else and he was prob the least impressive bama back I have seen in 10 plus years.   Hell maybe longer.   Hes serviceable.   Seems like a guy you could pick up off the street for the NFL imo though

Alabama RB Brian Robinson has the second most missed tackles by an SEC RB since 2019.

Robinson (6'1"/225) forced 79 missed tackles in 2021, second to just Leonard Fournette's 2015 season where he forced 85. Considering the quality of SEC running backs since then like Najee Harris, Clyde Edwards-Helaire and many more, that is impressive. Robinson had a major breakout senior year, rushing for 1,343 yard and 14 touchdowns, and catching 35 passes for an additional 296 yards and two scores. Despite that, he's not generally considered a top RB prospect like Breece Hall and Kenneth Walker, but this stat shows Robinson's wiggle and success outside of just having a great team around him. 

SOURCE: PFF Draft on Twitter

Mar 27, 2022, 5:39 PM ET

Alabama RB Brian Robinson met with the New York Giants on Tuesday.

Robinson (6'1"/225) had a breakout season in 2021, running for 1343 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also caught 35 passes for 296 yards and two scores, showing versatility to his game. He forced a lot of missed tackles for Bama too, showing it wasn't just their great o-line doing the work. The Giants also had James Cook and Breece Hall in the building so RB is clearly a priority for them despite having Saquon Barkley on the roster. One of those guys going in the second or third round is very likely at this point. 

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 5, 2022, 3:50 PM ET

I kind of like him. Obviously has the size but also brings some pass catching. I was more impressed by what I saw of him than Zamir White.

Ilov80s said:
I kind of like him. Obviously has the size but also brings some pass catching. I was more impressed by what I saw of him than Zamir White.
Both White and Robinson, along with Cook might be 4th round picks, maybe late 3rd. In 2021, many RBs drafted 4th round or later had major roles. Carter, Stevenson, Hubbard 4th. Gainwell 5th. Mitchell and Herbert 6th.

I could see White, Cook, and Robinson playing big roles, depending on which team drafts them. But not as many RBs as in 2021. Cater and Stevenson could be studs, based on the eye test, while Mitchell is partly a system product.

Alabama RB Brian Robinson took a top 30 meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Wednesday.

Robinson (6'1"/225) is a versatile and productive back, and the Buccaneers are am RB needy team. Leonard Fournette was retained, but he's been less than stellar and getting close to that the RB expiration date of 28. Robinson forced a ton of missing tackles while piling up yards and touchdowns for a great Alabama squad, and almost every back to come out of Tuscaloosa seems to do quite well in the NFL.

SOURCE: Ryan Fowler on Twitter

Apr 13, 2022, 2:53 PM ET

Alabama RB Brian Robinson was elusive in 2021.

Robinson (6'1/225) broke out in 2021, tallying 1,343 rushing yards with 14 touchdowns. He brings a level of versatility to the table, also catching 35 passes for 296 receiving yards and two touchdowns. Robinson had a knack for making defenders miss last season, more than any other SEC running back, as he totaled 79 of those to make his way to the top of the category.

Apr 22, 2022, 8:50 PM ET

Commanders selected Alabama RB Brian Robinson with the No. 98 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

It's yet another blow to Antonio Gibson's fantasy fortunes after J.D. McKissic's Bills switcheroo. Robinson (6'2/225) joined 'Bama in 2017, the same year as Najee Harris, entering into a running backs corps that included sophomore Josh Jacobs and a junior Damien Harris. Jerome Ford arrived the following year. Unsurprisingly, Robinson was not a featured runner until Jacobs, Harris, and Harris left for the NFL. When he got his chance in 2021, he produced 1,343 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 296 yards and two more scores as a receiver. Robinson isn't particularly explosive, posting a 4.53 40 30-inch vertical and 9-foot-11 broad jump at the Combine, but with above-average size, a solid all-around skill set, and Alabama pedigree, he looks likely to emerge as a trusted committee option or clear-cut backup in the mold of Alexander Mattison. It's clear the Commanders want to reduce Gibson's workload after last year's grinding, injury-marred affair. 

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

Apr 29, 2022, 11:11 PM ET

I think Robinson is definitely a threat to Gibson...maybe not right away, but eventually.
Gibson is an athletic freak while Robinson has an adequate athletic profile. It's nothing like Gibson's. I think this is insurance for Gibson's injuries that he has seemed to pick up over the past two years; injuries that might have accumulated in a reduction of rushing effectiveness. 

Gibson is an athletic freak while Robinson has an adequate athletic profile. It's nothing like Gibson's. I think this is insurance for Gibson's injuries that he has seemed to pick up over the past two years; injuries that might have accumulated in a reduction of rushing effectiveness. 

Robinson is no slouch.  I could see him getting a decent percentage of touches in a full blown committee in an effort to protect Gibson.  The longer NFL season is a helluva thing for RBs.

Robinson is no slouch.  I could see him getting a decent percentage of touches in a full blown committee in an effort to protect Gibson.
Robinson isn't a slouch. He'll be serviceable in case of injury or if, as you say, they want to lighten Gibson's touch load. But I don't think he's taking Gibson's job. 

I could be wrong. I just don't see him having fantasy relevance except for an injury, and he dings Gibson's value. I don't think it was a good pick for fantasy teams or the Commanders. 

This is an excellent pick for Washington for real football as they now have a very legit and diverse backfield...Robinson is a quality player who will be used...this landing spot hurts his value because with Gibson and McKissic there it will be tough for him to put up quality/steady numbers although it is easy to see him as the goal-line RB...if I was a Gibson Owner, I would not be thrilled by this at all...it does not kill him but it definitely doesn't help him...Gibson is still the top dog but both McKissic and Robinson can catch the ball and Robinson has more size so that could potentially be an issue in short-yardage situations...I am a big Robinson fan and was hoping he would go somewhere where he would have the opportunity for a lot of touches but that looks like a reach right now but I also think it removes the potential for Gibson to be a #1 RB...welcome to the new NFL where backfields are gonna be constantly getting quality additions...adjust your expectations accordingly.

Robinson could take the every down back job from Gibson down the road.  Gibson is a great talent, but he's not really a RB.  Which is why he gets hurt.  He can't avoid the hit in trafiic because he was never trained to.  Robinson has nice feet and vision when he hits the line, and can finish a run.

It will be interesting  to see how they use what I think is a good number of weapons  ... Gibson, McKissock, Robinson, Samuels, McLaurin, L Thomas, Brown.  And I guess Dotson though I still don't see where he fits immediately.   Seems to me Gibson could be motioned to the slot just as easily.  And Wentz is better than Heinicke, no matter what you think of Wentz.  He just is.  Even Sam Howell probably is day 1.  Scott Turner has enough weapons now.  No excuses.  Let's see if he can deliver. 

ESPN's Matt Miller believes the Commanders took RB Brian Robinson "at least a full round" too early in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Washington's third-round selection of the Alabama running back was something of a stunner for draft observers, and probably doesn't bode well for Antonio Gibson. J.D. McKissic re-signed with Washington this offseason and will continue dominating pass-catching duties while Robinson could eat into Gibson's early-down work in 2022. Taking Robinson in the third round was one of several objectively terrible draft decisions made by the clueless Commanders. Robinson could be a valuable end-of-bench fantasy selection who would see a decent workload if Gibson struggles with injuries this year. 

RELATED: 

Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

May 3, 2022, 9:51 AM ET

So he should have been a 4th round pick...that makes him what, a  3rd round rookie pick in a dynasty league? 

Rookie camp recap: Notes on Dotson, Howell, Turner and more

Excerpt:

Third-round running back Brian Robinson Jr. is regarded as a thumper with the ball in his hands, and with that reputation comes a certain picture in one's mind. Robinson Jr., though, was a bit skinnier and much quicker than his scouting report would suggest and, on multiple occasions, displayed soft hands when catching swing passes in drills and 9-on-9 scenarios. Be careful assuming that he's just a three-yards-per-tote, run-over-a-nose-tackle kind of option for the Commanders.

Who Impressed at Commanders Rookie Minicamp?

Excerpt:

Alabama running back Brian Robinson Jr. also impressed, looking fluid and comfortable as a receiver with soft hands and good movement in and out of his routes. Teammate Phidarian Mathis was asked if he was surprised at all about Robinson's receiving ability put on display during the minicamp, to which he laughed and replied he was used to it having seen the same skills during their practices with the Crimson Tide.

Football Jones said:
Looking at his ADP as a guide, I’m sky-high on BRob.

I'm a big fan and was definitely targeting him pre-draft but his landing spot was not a positive IMO.

Commanders head coach Ron Rivera likened Antonio Gibson and Brian Robinson to the Panthers former backfield of D'Angelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. 

Rivera, of course, likens everything in Washington to his Carolina days. But if the Commanders see Gibson as nothing more than one part of a "1-2 punch" alongside rookie Robinson, Gibson probably should have been among the first 15 running backs off the fantasy draft board this summer. J.D. McKissic, who re-signed with the Commanders this offseason, is expected to maintain pass-catching duties, while Robinson possibly eats into Gibson's early-down role in Washington's offense. The Commanders in 2021 had the league's ninth lowest pass rate over expected, so a run-first approach could be valuable for fantasy purposes if Gibson or Robinson emerge as the team's go-to options in 2022. 
Per Rotoworld/NBC Edge now.

I think this is really interesting.  Obviously you have to take coach speak in April with a grain of salt.  But if he's true to his word, Robinson's going to have a pretty big role.  Maybe Robinson isn't a consistently useful fantasy piece, but I don't love this if I own Gibson.

I’m pretty high on BRob & expect him to show well so I don’t believe he’ll be easily replaceable.

I am very high on him as well but got a feeling like most of the NFL he will be part of some form of a RBBC...hopefully when Gibson walks (if he does) the RB they add won't be as good.

Users who are viewing this thread