What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2022 Thread - team only allowed soft foods on filght home for fear of choking again. *** (1 Viewer)

Gr00vus

Footballguy
Well here we are again, disappointment fresh in our psyches from another season where at the outset we all figured the Chargers were about a 9-8 team (give or take), that the right side of the offensive line, lack of talent on defense (particularly up front) and lack of depth overall obviously limited their ceiling - and then got sad because they finished 9 - 8. Of course the record's not the thing, it's the twisty turny roller coaster ride that got us there in which the team raises our hopes, and then dashes them on the rocks - multiple times throughout the season, within a single game even. Because that's the essence of the Chargers and Charger fandom.

I don't see any major shake ups happening in the franchise management or coaching staff this offseason, as much as some of us think Telesco deserves the boot. X

Last edited:
Well here we are again, disappointment fresh in our psyches from another season where at the outset we all figured the Chargers were about a 9-8 team (give or take), that the right side of the offensive line, lack of talent on defense (particularly up front) and lack of depth overall obviously limited their ceiling -  and then got sad because they finished 9 - 8. Of course the record's not the thing, it's the twisty turny roller coaster ride that got us there in which the team raises our hopes, and then dashes them on the rocks - multiple times throughout the season, within a single game even. Because that's the essence of the Chargers and Charger fandom.

I don't see any major shake ups happening in the franchise management or coaching staff this offseason, as much as some of us think Telesco deserves the boot.
:goodposting:

Maybe that LB from Georgia lasts until you guys in the first and you snap him up, because from what I saw and heard this year, the low-value position of LB was a problem for you. 

Maybe that LB from Georgia lasts until you guys in the first and you snap him up, because from what I saw and heard this year, the low-value position of LB was a problem for you. 
IMO LB should be very low on the priority list.

1. The team traded up for LB Murray in the 2020 draft and he has been a bust, but his salary is guaranteed through 2023, which means they are stuck with him. They also have LB Tranquill who is solid, and could re-sign UFA LB White, who was pretty good this season.

2. LB wasn't really a problem when Murray was hurt or on the bench. He hurt them badly in the final game because the team chose to play him heavily. I have seen some speculation that was due to pressure on the coaching staff by the front office, which has reportedly happened in the past with the Chargers. I can't confirm this, but he was terrible in this game, and it was surprising he wasn't pulled at some point and no defensive adjustment was made to cover for him. But he is going nowhere, so the team has no choice but to try to coach him up to use his impressive athleticism to more positive effect.

3. The Chargers #1 problem on the entire roster is the interior defensive line. And on top of that, starters Linval Joseph and Justin Jones are both UFAs. Not that I necessarily want to retain either of them, but it illustrates the problem. The Chargers need to acquire/sign/re-sign at least 3 IDL this offseason, and at least 2 of them need to be starters. That is a big problem. If they solve it, the LBs will all look a lot better.

4. Next, the pass rush is the #2 problem for the defense. They have struggled for at least the past couple of seasons to generate any quality pass rush to complement Bosa, which enables Bosa to get double teamed constantly. To make this problem worse, the top 2 Edge players opposite Bosa, Uchenna Nwosu and Kyler Fackrell, are both UFAs. So they need to acquire/sign/re-sign at least 2 Edge players, and either 1 of them needs to be a strong starter or both of them need to be solid in a rotation.

5. After that, CB is arguably still more important than LB. They don't have a legit #1 CB on the roster, unless rookie Samuel grows into that, but he looks like a solid #2 at this point, as does the other outside corner, Davis. Slot corner Chris Harris will be gone, so he needs to be replaced. Feels like they need to draft or sign a strong CB, ideally a legit #1.

6. And that is just the defense. On offense:

• TE1 Cook is a UFA and should be allowed to walk, but there is no clear replacement on the roster.
  • WR1 Williams is a UFA and will probably require a huge contract to keep; I'd rather see him walk, but in that case probably need to sign another more moderately priced veteran.
  • They will release RT Bulaga, who has barely played, and don't have a quality replacement on the roster.
  • Both players who started at RG this season are UFAs. So they have work to do on the offensive line.
  • Despite drafting RBs in each of the past two drafts, their RB depth is terrible and in need of an upgrade.
I think LB comes after all of that, and the most likely move is they re-sign White. If so, I think they direct their attention elsewhere and stand pat with that LB group, and I think that is probably the right call.

To put it more succinctly, they need upgrades at all but like 3 spots on defense, IDL in particular, they need upgrades on the right side of the OL (I don't buy into Aboushi being the long term answer, he's a journeyman), they'll probably need replacements at TE and WR. They need depth everywhere. They need an upgrade at punter also. I guess Hopkins is the best K they've had in a while, but  of course he gags an FG in their biggest game of the season and helps cost them a spot in the playoffs.

It's 2022! Happy new year ! 

aaannnnnd the crowd goes mild.

New stadium that they get to rent. New city to represent. New awesome QB they get to waste career of. New coach who makes all new crazy mistakes and blunders. 

Maybe the arrow points upwards but it seems to me that you cannot move away from your true home to get away from your true problems. You can upgrade everything but ownership and Karma a #####. 

But I'm not bitter lol.

You should be sad. They belong here! Not there! Some Googleite should buy this team move it back and make this family whole again!   LOL

I guess for now I'll enjoy the weather and eat a few more tacos from The Taco Stand down a Pacifico and dream of what was. 

Yes please play off as Spanos does fiddle as his team burns.
No idea what this means. I was playing the violin for you sarcastically since you mentioned that you can move on from your disappointment by just going to enjoy great weather, great tacos, and great beer. Not all of us have those options.  :penalty:

Last edited by a moderator:
BoltNlava said:
You should be sad. They belong here! Not there! Some Googleite should buy this team move it back and make this family whole again!   LOL

I guess for now I'll enjoy the weather and eat a few more tacos from The Taco Stand down a Pacifico and dream of what was. 
They should totally still be in San Diego. If I had the money, I'd buy the team and move them back, with their own modernized Jack Murphy in a different part of town.

I've been to SoPhi - didn't really like it. Big and loud. Zero character.

Not a Chargers fan but watched a lot of games because of Herbert. Excited about his fantasy prospects as long as that defense is as bad as it is. Can't stop the run or make a stop when they don't make their 4th down attempts and give up a short field.

Priority on offense should be getting a RT. Storm Norton was whatever is looser than a turnstile. To be expected since he was the backup but the amount of times he was asked to block one-on-one had to be due to the offensive scheme. If Herbert can have adequate protection, the offense will be even more potent. I really see his trajectory being like Peyton Manning's where he is becomes the co-ordinator on the field. If they can't build a team around him, his career may be a 21st century Dan Marino.

Man does this team need some beef in the middle of the defense.

It wouldn't fix everything but everything would benefit tremendously. 

Gr00vus said:
To put it more succinctly, they need upgrades at all but like 3 spots on defense, IDL in particular, they need upgrades on the right side of the OL (I don't buy into Aboushi being the long term answer, he's a journeyman), they'll probably need replacements at TE and WR. They need depth everywhere. They need an upgrade at punter also. I guess Hopkins is the best K they've had in a while, but  of course he gags an FG in their biggest game of the season and helps cost them a spot in the playoffs.
So basically bosa and Herbert are great, ekeler and Allen are serviceable and everyone else is terrible.

Just Win Baby said:
No idea what this means. I was playing the violing for you sarcastically since you mentioned that you can move on from your disappointment by just going to enjoy great weather, great tacos, and great beer. Not all of us have those options.  :penalty:
As the myth goes: Nero, the Emperor of Rome, and perhaps the most perverse & vile person ever to walk the Earth, danced and played the lyre while Rome burned.

But more stunning than that is the question of how a person with a username of Just Win Baby is a Chargers fan.

Late to the party with this but...

Chargers fired ST coordinator Darius Swinton, and his assistant coordinator. Seems a little weird to me, sure they weren't the best ST unit in the league, but they were in the average range by the end of the year, which is a huge improvement over the past 5 seasons or so.

Joe Lombardi got an interview for the Texans HC job. Can't imagine he'd get it because I don't think he's that great but who knows.

But more stunning than that is the question of how a person with a username of Just Win Baby is a Chargers fan.
@Just Win Baby You really gonna let this slide brah?

:popcorn:
I always liked the phrase and adopted it as my username way back in the Old Yeller days of this forum. I didn't become a Chargers fan until they traded for my favorite college player, Rivers, in 2004. (I am a NC State alum.) I'm not sure what year I started in the Old Yeller board, but it was somewhere around 2001-2002.

The only FAs I have more than moderate interest in retaining are Nwosu, White, Guyton, Williams (only if the price is right, which I don't think happens). I have moderate interest in bringing back Hopkins, Anderson, Overton. I assume they'll retain Parham, but he's a pretty big question mark - he should be seriously thinking about leaving the game for health reasons. The rest are warm bodies at best - the Chargers should be looking to fill those spots with other players, hoping for better.

We talk about how bad the defensive line was, and it was awful, but IMO the secondary sucked just about as bad and is pretty berift of talent outside of James. Samuel seems like a high end nickel back to me, not a starting CB you can feel secure can play on an island if asked.  I think Staley's scheme somewhat disguised how crummy most of these guys are - he chose to die slow rather than die fast which put less pressure on the secondary. They really need upgrades in that unit.

First priority is IDL, 2nd priority is RG/RT, 3rd priority is a complimentary edge rusher (Nwosu should be the 3rd guy, not the 2nd guy), 4th priority is secondary. After that they'll need to roll some draft dice or go bargain hunting for WR, TE, punter, RB, plus depth everywhere.

Lot of work to do this offseason, good news is they have a lot of resources and flexibility. Bad news is it looks like the same front office will be handling things. If an ideal guy isn't there at 17, I'd love to see them trade down for more picks - but they never do that.

well.......another season of disappointment behind us. 

Our coach is overly agressive, and while I like that mentallity at say the opponents 40...rather than punt go for it , but you cannot be going for it at your own 18 in the 2nd quarter.

And who ever that RT with the pony tail was in the Raiders game, hes awful, and them not really helping/chipping with a TE much on Crosby was unacceptable. 

NEEDS:

Whole right side of the O line

All new LBs

New CBs

And FFS can we get an interior Dlinemen or 4?  

wish list in first round - Jordan Davis DT - Georgia

Our coach is overly agressive, and while I like that mentallity at say the opponents 40...rather than punt go for it , but you cannot be going for it at your own 18 in the 2nd quarter.
Definitely. I'm not judging Staley from a long term perspective at this point. I want to see if he learns from his mistakes (and this is an example of a mistake) in year two.

Couple of mock draft items for discussion.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic:

17. Los Angeles Chargers — Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Do the Chargers make the playoffs if they receive better play at right tackle over the final month of the season? Penning has a massive frame (6-7, 329, 35-inch arms) with the athletic footwork and competitive chops to develop into a Pro Bowl-level player.

Mel Kiper, ESPN:

17. Los Angeles Chargers

Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

The Chargers again struggled against the run in 2021, an issue that has plagued them for years. Just go back to their 2018 divisional-round playoff game against the Patriots, when they were dominated up front. They allowed 4.8 yards per carry this season, which ranked 28th in the NFL. With Linval Joseph hitting free agency, there is a massive hole in the middle of their defensive line.

Who better to fill that than the 6-foot-6, 340-pound Davis? He'd make the entire defense better because he eats up blocks and allows linebackers to roam free. He also can play on three downs; he's not just a plugger. He showed on his sack in the national title game that he has some pass-rush ability, which is scary for a man of his size. Davis won't be a fit for every team, but the teams that run a 3-4 defense will eye him in this range.

Couple of mock draft items for discussion.

Dane Brugler, The Athletic:

17. Los Angeles Chargers — Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

Do the Chargers make the playoffs if they receive better play at right tackle over the final month of the season? Penning has a massive frame (6-7, 329, 35-inch arms) with the athletic footwork and competitive chops to develop into a Pro Bowl-level player.

Mel Kiper, ESPN:

17. Los Angeles Chargers

Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

The Chargers again struggled against the run in 2021, an issue that has plagued them for years. Just go back to their 2018 divisional-round playoff game against the Patriots, when they were dominated up front. They allowed 4.8 yards per carry this season, which ranked 28th in the NFL. With Linval Joseph hitting free agency, there is a massive hole in the middle of their defensive line.

Who better to fill that than the 6-foot-6, 340-pound Davis? He'd make the entire defense better because he eats up blocks and allows linebackers to roam free. He also can play on three downs; he's not just a plugger. He showed on his sack in the national title game that he has some pass-rush ability, which is scary for a man of his size. Davis won't be a fit for every team, but the teams that run a 3-4 defense will eye him in this range.
I don't know anything about Penning yet, but I'd be okay with drafting a starting RT at 1.17.

I'd be much happier drafting Davis, though. I'm just not confident he is going to be there. He is the #1 guy on my wish list.

Eric Weddle comes out of retirement and goes to the super bowl. Can't think of any other Charger alums on either SB team - anyone else you can think of?

McDaniels back in the division as an HC. Think he'll be any better his second time around?

It would really suck if Rogers lands in Denver - for the next couple of seasons at least.

Chargers really need to nail this offseason. I guess last season was the offense offseason, maybe this offseason is the defense offseason. Plus a new punter.

Eric Weddle comes out of retirement and goes to the super bowl.
He played every snap in the NFC Championship game, at age 37 in his third game back after 2 seasons off. He led the Rams with 9 tackles in the NFCCG. That is amazing. I'm very happy for him. I never understood all the anger and bitterness many Chargers fans had for Weddle. He will always be one of my favorite Chargers.

McDaniels back in the division as an HC. Think he'll be any better his second time around?
Could he reasonably be worse? I'm sure he won't waste a first round pick on the equivalent of Tebow again... That said, while he will be better this time, that doesn't mean he will be good. We'll see.

It would really suck if Rogers lands in Denver - for the next couple of seasons at least.
I will be very surprised if he doesn't, along with Davante Adams.

Chargers really need to nail this offseason.
What else is new? We've been saying this for Telesco's entire tenure, and it generally hasn't happened. The cap space and draft capital are there to do it. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

no excuses for the losses and mishaps with THAT QB, That run game, Those WRs. 

Chargers have sucked since Schotts left, and even with him there, they won nothing. this franchise is worse that just about any  in the NFL.

I don't blame Weddle for his dislike of Telesco. I share it, and he is not wrong IMO.

That said, I think Weddle comes off poorly bringing it up while basking in the glow of a Super Bowl win, with him being a significant contributor. He should have taken the high road and never brought it up IMO.

Mike Williams signs a 3 year $60M extension with the Chargers. $40M guaranteed, $28M year 1  :eek: . Did they just spend about half their available cap this offseason on Williams?

I guess this makes him, currently, the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL.

I imagine this makes WR a much less urgent priority in the draft and FA. It's nice to keep a guy who seems to have a good rapport with Herbert around. I hope Williams doesn't have a post-FA return to mediocrity.

Thoughts?

On another front, it seems several of the possible FA TEs the Chargers would be interested in have re-signed with or been franchise tagged by their current teams.

Oh, also Wilson goes to the Broncos. I hope the Chargers have a solid plan in place for upgrading the pass rush and DBs. This division demands it.

Mike Williams signs a 3 year $60M extension with the Chargers. $40M guaranteed, $28M year 1  :eek: . Did they just spend about half their available cap this offseason on Williams?

I imagine this makes WR a much less urgent priority in the draft and FA. It's nice to keep a guy who seems to have a good rapport with Herbert around. I hope Williams doesn't have a post-FA return to mediocrity.

Thoughts?

On another front, it seems several of the possible FA TEs the Chargers would be interested in have re-signed with or been franchise tagged by their current teams.
He gets paid $28M year 1. I'm sure that includes 1/3 of his signing bonus amount plus his year 1 salary. So perhaps something like this:

• $18M signing bonus - guaranteed
  • Year 1 salary $10M - guaranteed
  • Year 2 salary $12M - guaranteed
  • Year 3 salary $20M - not guaranteed, Chargers can trade or release him with $6M in 2024 dead cap money (the final 1/3 of his signing bonus)
In this scenario, his cap numbers per season would be:

• 2022 - $16M - basically the same as 2021
  • 2023 - $18M
  • 2024 - $26M
If the contract is structured close to this, it's about as team friendly as they were likely to get.

I didn't think Williams was worth his 2021 5th year option salary, though he played better than I expected. So I don't think he is worth these cap numbers, either. But I fully expected the team to either tag him or sign him to a multi-year contract; I did not think they would let him walk.

I agree that it *should* reduce or, better yet, eliminate WR as a priority. It still leaves the team short on speed in its top 3 WRs if you view those as Allen, Williams, and Palmer, but it doesn't make much sense to draft someone to slot in ahead of any of those three. Guyton will probably be back and has some speed, but he will be a role player; no reason to believe they need someone to slot in ahead of him, either IMO. But I have zero confidence that the team will agree with me through their actions in the draft.

Gr00vus said:
Solid plan too much to ask, or are my priorities off?
No, your priorities are fine. I'm just reacting to the idea that the Chargers' priorities align with what we think they should be. That basically never happens...

As pessimistic as I am, I can't imagine management looking at the AFC West landscape - and the AFC landscape beyond that, and not have it be glaringly obvious that they're going to need to seriously beef up the pass rush and coverage capabilities. I know I've been bellyaching about the interior line, and no mistake, the run defense is awful and needs work, and where their pick lies it seems an impact DT may be available and the way to go in round one, but with 6 games against Mahomes, Wilson and Carr definite, you can't stand pat in those other areas now.

Thoughts?

Avg 900 yds and 7 TDs the last 2 seasons, that seems like an awful lot of scratch for a guy with up and down numbers and consistency last 2-3 years. 

WR batch this year in the Draft is nothing like last year from my research so far, probably better to hold on to him. 

Avg 900 yds and 7 TDs the last 2 seasons, that seems like an awful lot of scratch for a guy with up and down numbers and consistency last 2-3 years. 

WR batch this year in the Draft is nothing like last year from my research so far, probably better to hold on to him. 
It's a lot of money, but finding a replacement wasn't going to be easy either, and if they front load the cap hit to this season, where they have a decent amount of cap space to play with, it may make this not such a questionable deal over its whole lifetime. That would be counter to @Just Win Baby's structure above, but it's what I'm hoping they do as they're going to need to pay Derwin James and Herbert (most likely if they do an extension) in the following 2 years.

I agree. Probably too much for the guy but cannot afford to risk being unsuccessful finding a replacement especially with Allen hitting 30 this year.

On a side note, are there any sources out there that do this the right way? Comparing total dollars per season is obviously wrong. The comparison should be percentage of (projected) salary cap per season, not dollars per season. Twenty million in 2019 is obviously not the same as twenty million in 2023. Whenever somebody signs a new contract, it always looks weird on those ranking lists because his dollars are all in future years while people with existing contracts include past years without going so far into the future.

So Khalil Mack for a 2nd and 6th huh……seems pricey.  

Chargers acquired OLB Khalil Mack from the Bears in exchange for 2022 second-round pick and 2023 sixth-round pick.

That is extremely light trade compensation for someone who remained one of the league's very best defensive players before his injury-ruined 2021. Not only is Mack not fetching a Day 1 pick, only one of the selections are for this spring. That, obviously, is an indication of a cratered market after Mack battled foot issues before turning 31 last month. It could be a roaring steal for the Chargers. It signals a top-to-bottom rebuild for a picks-starved Bears just that just flat out is not good right now. That bodes poorly for Justin Fields' development. As for Mack in L.A., head coach Brandon Staley was adept at moving around his superstar defensive chess pieces with the Rams. Staley also coached Mack in Chicago, so the duo knows each other well. If Mack is healthy, he and Joey Bosa are going to straight up terrorize the AFC West's superstar quarterbacks.

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

LOVE this move. Mack would have a monster year in 2022 and with Bosa, Mack, and James, the Bolts have 3 All Pro-ish talents on defense.  

Well done TT.  

If Mack is healthy...

But I can't fault Telesco rolling the dice on an impact pass rusher. I suppose this means they'll be allocating their remaining draft/FA capital elsewhere? (Please be DT and CB, please be DT and CB, please be DT and CB...)

Users who are viewing this thread