What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ridley Scott: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should Ridley Scott go into the Movie HOF with?

• Alien

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Thelma and Louise

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • American Gangster

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • The Martian

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Black Hawk Down

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
So I was thinking when athletes enter the HOF, they have to pick the team they will go in for. Randy Johnson, Mariners or Diamondbacks? Gretzky, Oilers or Kings? Deion, Falcons or Cowboys?​

What if directors were entered into the Movie Hall of Fame and had to choose 1 movie to represent them. Look at it however you want, best movie, most successful movie, breakout movie that put them on the map, etc. It's however you see the director best represented. 

Our first inductee was http://SpielbergSteven Spielberg- Jaws (50%)

Now with the recent release of House of Gucci The Last Duel, we debate the movie that Ridley Scott will enter the HOF under...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall of Very Good guy.  His best film is his first The Duellists.

Ridley's brother Tony was a gigantic hack but his movies had greater cultural impact.
He's not Spielberg but not many directors have had 3 movies as well regarded by peers, critics and the general public as Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator. 

Went with Gladiator.  I am a huge Blade Runner fan, but Gladiator was perfect.  

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

Alien

Followed closely by Blade Runner.

At any given moment, I'd most likely watch Gladiator.

Black Hawk Down is my favorite war movie.

Kingdom of Heaven is his last movie that could be considered "good". Yes, that includes The Martian.

Huh. This is interesting. I'm as casual as the next guy about movies and cinema is, and I'm not sure those are really movies to hang a HoF upon. 

Out of curiosity- why was he a hack?  He has a pretty good list of movies.

Tony Scott is a hack because of the highly commercial projects he specialized in. His brother Ridley's films tend to be more middle-to-highbrow projects

I'm not using hack as a pejorative term regarding the quality of their work.  Tony's movies had a distinctive style and visual flair behind all the smoke and dust and diffuse lighting.

The Martian has no business being included with so many other excellent films.
Perhaps. I liked it and my wife loved it so maybe she’s influencing me. It also is an original non superhero adult drama that made $630 million at the box office in 2015. We might never see that happen again. 

:cough: troyaikman :coughcough: 

Please admit your bias here. Troy Aikman is still the most accurate passer Ive ever seen. 

Certainly better than ANY QB who laced up for whatever theyre calling your team at this moment. 

Three of his movies are in my top 50 of all time. Impressive.

Alien

Blade Runner 

Gladiator 

Voted Alien.

Three of movies are in my top 50 of all time. Impressive.

Alien

Blade Runner 

Gladiator 

Voted Alien.
Yeah I didn’t expect this to be controversial especially given the age/gender bracket around here. I like that little extra spice that’s been added to the discussion.

Surprised at all the Gladiator love.  That film felt like post-ascendancy shlock, just turning the big movie big ticket crank.  Had a predictable story arc (with hints of Ben Hur).  Yes, I was entertained, so it achieved the bare minimum I suppose.

I’m with Eephus. Not a HOFer for me. 
There’s a probably 300ish players in the NFL HOF. Are there 300 or so better directors than Ridley? Make your case.

Also I hope everyone knows I’m just having a fun debate,  no offense taken to any disagreements here. 

There’s a probably 300ish players in the NFL HOF. Are there 300 or so better directors than Ridley? Make your case.

Also I hope everyone knows I’m just having a fun debate,  no offense taken to any disagreements here. 
It's a really good example for me of debating batting average vs. HRs with these directors.     Like others have said - he's made a few of my favorite movies, but holy crap - when you look at the entire filmography there are some stinky turds in there.  

Of course he'd be in a mythical Director's HOF. We're not talking about Zack Snyder or a Mount Rushmore here.
What's our cut off for # of directors in our mythical HOF?    I could be off base, but if we are talking top 100 directors I could see him not being on that.  200-300?  Probably, but I could also still see him not making that cut.  

I think there are 300 better. The top two here are Alien and Blade Runner, but I personally find them very overrated.  :scared:   Everyone’s tastes vary though; to each their own, and obviously not judging anyone who enjoys them. 

The only movies of his that I’d say that I enjoy and would watch again are probably Gladiator and Blackhawk Down. I think his greatest artistic achievement was probably the 1984 Mac commercial. That falls short of HOF for me.

ETA: I may go back and watch Blade Runner again and see if my view has changed, as it has been awhile. (It looks like “The Final Cut” is available to stream and I have not seen that version.)

I think there are 300 better. The top two here are Alien and Blade Runner, but I personally find them very overrated.  :scared:   Everyone’s tastes vary though; to each their own, and obviously not judging anyone who enjoys them. 

The only movies of his that I’d say that I enjoy and would watch again are probably Gladiator and Blackhawk Down. I think his greatest artistic achievement was probably the 1984 Mac commercial. That falls short of HOF for me.

ETA: I may go back and watch Blade Runner again and see if my view has changed, as it has been awhile. (It looks like “The Final Cut” is available to stream and I have not seen that version.)
I actually don’t live Alien either but I know a lot of people who consider it the scariest movie ever made. Objectively speaking, he’s made a Best Picture winner and 2 of the most influential movies sci-fi movies ever made. The look and feel of Blade Runner was a massive influence. Also I think people are short changing how good Thelma and Louise is. Ridley is one of the few directors of his era that was really strong with his portrayal of women in movies. 

Also let’s keep in mind that The Lovin’ Spoonful and John Mellencamp are in The Rock and Roll HOF.

It's a really good example for me of debating batting average vs. HRs with these directors.     Like others have said - he's made a few of my favorite movies, but holy crap - when you look at the entire filmography there are some stinky turds in there.  
There are a LOT fewer "great" directors than people are giving credit to. Every director that has made more than, say, five movies is going to have a stinker. 

Very few directors have been making movies for over 40 years. 

And even Spielberg had Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Lost World: Jurassic Park...and those were sequels to two of his GREATEST works. :shrug:

Man, this is a tough crowd. I honestly would consider Ridley for the Mt. Rushmore of directors. He made two of the most popular and influential sci-fi movies of all time. Alien is a masterpiece of horror and sci-fi, and if not the first to mix the two genres, then certainly the most successful entry into that field. It also spawned lots of sequels, including Aliens, which is the best horror/sci-fi/action mashup ever (or at the very least one of), directed by another HOFer.

Blade Runner admittedly is not long on nuanced story or character development, but its look is as good as it gets for pre-CGI effects, and the atmosphere put on screen was pitch-perfect for the feel of the film. Probably would have been better if an actor with superior chops to Harrison Ford (that's a looooong list) was cast as the lead.

I haven't seen American Gangster, but Gladiator is easily my least favorite movie on this list, and it's a helluva good film.

There are a LOT fewer "great" directors than people are giving credit to. Every director that has made more than, say, five movies is going to have a stinker. 

Very few directors have been making movies for over 40 years. 

And even Spielberg had Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and The Lost World: Jurassic Park...and those were sequels to two of his GREATEST works. :shrug:
PTA says this is completely untrue.  ;)  

Please admit your bias here. Troy Aikman is still the most accurate passer Ive ever seen. 

Certainly better than ANY QB who laced up for whatever theyre calling your team at this moment. 
Speaking of the Cowboys, Staubach was significantly better.

Aikman played really well when they had a great team around him, but mediocre when they didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread