What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts On This Statement - Rittenhouse Case And White Supremacy (1 Viewer)

How much do you think the Kyle Rittenhouse case had to do with white supremacy?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I read this statement online and wanted to get thoughts on it here.

"The Kyle Rittenhouse case had nothing to do with white supremacy. The people he killed were white."

Now we all know, anytime "nothing" or "everything" is part of the statement, there are going to be holes. Few things are all or nothing. 

But in general, how much do you think the Kyle Rittenhouse case had to do with white supremacy?

I realize this is a sensitive and serious topic and people have strong feelings. Please be civil and respectful. If you can't do that, please don't post in this. 

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "the Rittenhouse case".  Does that refer to the actual court case?  The actual shootings?  The actions Rittenhouse took prior to the shootings?  The overarching events leading to that night?  My answer would be different depending on the context.

I think it depends a lot on what you mean by "the Rittenhouse case".  Does that refer to the actual court case?  The actual shootings?  The actions Rittenhouse took prior to the shootings?  The overarching events leading to that night?  My answer would be different depending on the context.

It's the internet. We don't get that nuanced. ;)

You're right of course. But the practical reality is we don't get the luxury of being more clear. It just gets talked about as the whole thing. 

In the initial onset, I think some media outlets either jumped to the conclusion or wanted to believe very much so that Kyle killed black people that night. Once they put that idea out, white supremacy was the easy narrative to sell because people wanted to believe it. After a year of it though, they were too invested to let it go.

It's like the guy that put a first round pick on Trent Richardson in 2013. It was obviously bad after the first few weeks but he couldn't drop him. He held on for the whole year telling everyone "He's an RB1, you'll all see!!" Even in the end he sits huddled in the corner mumbling about Trent returning to form any day. The media here is way too invested to just let it go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest. And full disclaimer, I don't follow this closely. But from the tiny bit of info I had, I thought up until a few weeks ago that he'd killed black people just in a shooting spree. :(   :bag:  

I voted "not much."  The legal case against Rittenhouse had nothing to do with white supremacy.  But white supremacy played an irrationally large role in the public perception of the case, and that should count for something.

The author, Drew Holden, writes for The Federalist, appears on Fox News and is a a former Republican congressional staff member. As such, I don't feel that he is most objective observer and commentator of how "some" of the media framed it. 

We'll disagree. In my opinion, that's exactly how some of the media framed it. The best part of threads like those is it's not up for debate what was posted. The posts themselves, may be opinion or even wrong, but it's a fact they were posted. 

Why is there “not much” and “very little” as essentially the same option and no “nothing to do with “ option? Seems to lead towards linking to white supremacy doesn’t it? 

Because the other end of the scale was not "all" or "everything". 

The author, Drew Holden, writes for The Federalist, appears on Fox News and is a a former Republican congressional staff member. As such, I don't feel that he is most objective observer and commentator of how "some" of the media framed it. 

Also, do you equally dismiss information from people as not an objective observer who appear on MSNBC or have worked as a Democratic congressional staff member?  I don't. 

Seems like an interesting take. 

Also, do you equally dismiss information from people as not an objective observer who appear on MSNBC or have worked as a Democratic congressional staff member?  I don't. 

They would be as objective or as non-objective as Drew Holden as far as media coverage is concerned. 

It was such a ridiculous question I didn't think you were actually serious. 😆

No, I am not a member of this violent anarchist anti-fascist organization. 
Thanks for the reply. It was a very serious question. 

I appreciate your passion even if we disagree almost entirely. Have a great day. 

Why is there not an option for “Had nothing to do with white supremacy”? 

Every option implies that white supremacy was at play at varying degrees.

I’m choosing not to vote. 

I'll be honest. And full disclaimer, I don't follow this closely. But from the tiny bit of info I had, I thought up until a few weeks ago that he'd killed black people just in a shooting spree. :(   :bag:  

Depending on the media you follow you might still believe this.  In part that is what is dividing Americans.  Creating a belief that anyone from "the other side" is the enemy.

It had nothing to do with it . Thanks to the media spewing propaganda. People as intelligent as Joe bought into the false narrative.  Shows how powerful propaganda can be.

Other than Kyle's maybe proud boy tie, what other ways has the media linked this to white supremecy?

I didn't get the impression this case had anything to do with white supremecy. 
I don't have any idea how a white guy who shoots three white people in self defense becomes a racial issue. That's why I'm looking at the media and some real dumb celebrities. 

The "what if he was black" angle could be the dumbest take of this whole thing. 

Did you read through the Twitter link Joe posted?
I read through some of it.  But I watched NBC news every evening and don't remember a single mention of the trial and white supremecy.  Sure left wing talking heads with 16 hours of show to fill probably said something about it from time to time.  But that's certainly not close to the majority MSM coverage.

I read through some of it.  But I watched NBC news every evening and don't remember a single mention of the trial and white supremecy.  Sure left wing talking heads with 16 hours of show to fill probably said something about it from time to time.  But that's certainly not close to the majority MSM coverage.
I’m glad you admit the NYT, PBS & AP are left wing talking heads.

I don't watch any cable news, but I do read a lot of news, and a lot of twitter.  This case has been framed a racial matter by many on the left, and many in the MSM, and I just do not see it at all.  The kid was embraced by white supremacy adjacent groups after the incident, and he strangely has become a hero of some on the right, but none of the facts of the case itself have anything to do with white supremacy.

I say this as someone who has typically supported Democrats and Democratic policy.  This case was completely misrepresented by MANY on the left, and by many in the MSM.  

I don't have any idea how a white guy who shoots three white people in self defense becomes a racial issue. That's why I'm looking at the media and some real dumb celebrities. 

The "what if he was black" angle could be the dumbest take of this whole thing. 

I wouldn't tie it to white supremacy at all but just the white power structure.  Kid like that is going to get an easier ride...

See, this would be a more interesting poll: Riitenhouse case and White Privilege

I wouldn't tie it to white supremacy at all but just the white power structure.  Kid like that is going to get an easier ride...
So are you saying he got off because he was white? I'd disagree. Given the same circumstances, the same witnesses, the same prosecution and the same defense team, I would argue if Rittenhouse were black you'd get the same verdict

I absolutely question the objectivity of media members who are clearly partisan.  Do I listen to them?  Sure.  Do I consume their narrative as if it is gospel truth?  No chance.

Made that argument this week.   There are a lot of posters here who will immediately dismiss something because of the source.  I dont know of they are unable or unwilling to put their own thoughts to it. 

And I voted nothing to do with supremacy. 

It was such a ridiculous question I didn't think you were actually serious. 😆

No, I am not a member of this violent anarchist anti-fascist organization. 

For the love of God, they are NOT anti-fascists: :doh:   

They are PRO Marxist/Communists.  The only sense they are "anti-fascist" is they see Fascism as a direct competitor to the power and control THEY want AND to fool rubes into thinking they are some benevolent organization fighting for YOU.  They aren't. They're fighting to implement their own form of fascism.

Made that argument this week.   There are a lot of posters here who will immediately dismiss something because of the source.  I dont know of they are unable or unwilling to put their own thoughts to it. 

Where was that option? 

If it was there and I missed it my apology to Joe, when I looked it wasn’t an option. 

This seems fair.   It really comes down to this: do you consume facts or narratives?   I prefer to consume facts and then piece together a narrative.  Many people do the opposite:  anchor on a narrative and then only accept facts that fit their chosen narrative (which is usually emotion- or affiliation-based rather than fact-based).

https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1461774470113280009?s=20

There was a little bit of Joy Reid. But there was a lot in there of NY Times or NPR or CNN or AP.  :shrug:

This is rather disappointing -

Reason

“ACLU-Wisconsin Interim Executive Director Shaadie Ali lamented the "deep roots of white supremacy" in Kenosha that prevented Rittenhouse from being "held responsible for his actions."

"Kyle Rittenhouse was a juvenile who traveled across state lines on a vigilante mission, was allowed by police to roam the streets of Kenosha with an assault rifle and ended up shooting three people and killing two," said Brandon Buskey, director of the ACLU's Criminal Law Reform Project. "These are the simple, tragic facts.“

Reason

“ACLU-Wisconsin Interim Executive Director Shaadie Ali lamented the "deep roots of white supremacy" in Kenosha that prevented Rittenhouse from being "held responsible for his actions."

"Kyle Rittenhouse was a juvenile who traveled across state lines on a vigilante mission, was allowed by police to roam the streets of Kenosha with an assault rifle and ended up shooting three people and killing two," said Brandon Buskey, director of the ACLU's Criminal Law Reform Project. "These are the simple, tragic facts.“
Wow.

https://twitter.com/DrewHolden360/status/1461774470113280009?s=20

There was a little bit of Joy Reid. But there was a lot in there of NY Times or NPR or CNN or AP.  :shrug:

There were likely thousands of stories written about the trial. Finding a few that mentioned white supremecy isn't surprising.  I was just giving my honest take based on watching Lester Holmes every night.  To me the overall arching theme of the trial was self defense vs provocation by carrying his gun around.

There were likely thousands of stories written about the trial. Finding a few that mentioned white supremecy isn't surprising.  I was just giving my honest take based on watching Lester Holmes every night.  To me the overall arching theme of the trial was self defense vs provocation by carrying his gun around.

In Wisconsin and most states, it is perfectly legal to OPEN carry.  THAT is not provocation.

I'm starting to think that many people on the left have no idea what "provocation" actually means.

Reason

Yes this is very dissapointing.  But Joy Reid, the ACLU, all super liberal.  

In Wisconsin and most states, it is perfectly legal to OPEN carry.  THAT is not provocation.

I'm starting to think that many people on the left have no idea what "provocation" actually means.
I'm saying that that was my impression of what the trial boiled down to.  Not that the provcation angle was ever correct.

Clearly though the more liberal side of the media did indeed play up the white angle more than what I saw.  It's stupid and needs to stop. 

Users who are viewing this thread