What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***PSA - Arbys Potato Cakes discontinued *** (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago when I stopped at Arby's at dinner time for a couple of sandwhiches and curley fries for me and the missus. I pull up to the drive through:

Arby's Worker: How may I help you?

Me: I'd like two roast beef sandwhiches and two large curley fries please.

Arby's Worker: We are out of roast beef.

Me: Say what?

Arby's Worker: We are out of roast beef. I'm sorry about that. Would you like anything else?

Me: Aren't you a roast beef fast food restaurant? 

Arby's Worker: Yes, but we are out of it today.

Me:  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Arby's Worker: We are out of roast beef. I'm sorry about that. Would you like anything else?

Nope, wasn’t me!  Must’ve been someone else, as I swear I never worked drive through while employed at Arby’s.

:bye:  @ChiefD

Reminds me of the time about 10 years ago when I stopped at Arby's at dinner time for a couple of sandwhiches and curley fries for me and the missus. I pull up to the drive through:

One time I took my family to Dairy Queen for late Summer evening vanilla soft serve cones.  One of life's simple pleasures

The employee apologized that they were out of vanilla soft serve.

Me: But....aren't you the ice cream store!?

Him:  :oldunsure:

I loved these triangular mega hash browns. Bummer. 

ETA: Buddy and I stepped out for lunch to KFC a long time ago and were informed at the drive thru that they were out of chicken.  :mellow:

On a related note, my wife and youngest daughter still complain about a time several years ago that they went to a local Dunkin' Donuts in the middle of the afternoon and they were somehow out of donuts.

My wife was crushed the day we went through the Arby's drive thru and discovered this several months ago. Just makes no sense and they act like adding Crinkle Fries makes us forget.   #Neverforgetthecakes.. 

cap'n grunge said:
Haven't seen chili cheese burritos since college probably. So damn good.

They still have them.  Just not on the menu.

Begs the question, if no one knows they have them, how long has that chili been sitting there waiting for someone to order it?

Many many years ago McDonald’s got rid of the breakfast danishes and I never forgave them. 

Also miss the caramel apple empanadas from Taco Bell. 

As far as potato cakes from Arby’s.. never heard of them. 

Many many years ago McDonald’s got rid of the breakfast danishes and I never forgave them. 

Also miss the caramel apple empanadas from Taco Bell. 

As far as potato cakes from Arby’s.. never heard of them. 
MMMM empanadas!!!

I loved when you ordered them, our Taco Bell was always like "We have to see if there are any cooked."   It was like winning the lottery when you got them.

I miss the chicken snack wraps that both McD and Wendys used to have. 

MMMM empanadas!!!

I loved when you ordered them, our Taco Bell was always like "We have to see if there are any cooked."   It was like winning the lottery when you got them.

I miss the chicken snack wraps that both McD and Wendys used to have. 
Those wraps were very good, I forgot about them.

My wife was crushed the day we went through the Arby's drive thru and discovered this several months ago. Just makes no sense and they act like adding Crinkle Fries makes us forget.   #Neverforgetthecakes.. 
Those Crinkle Fries are currently the best fast food fries available.  Damn Good.

this - it's like a giant tater tot ...only much better

for me ...I dip it both Arby's sauce and Horsey sauce - not ketchup.
One of my favorite things about holiday meals when I was a kid was the next day, because my mom would make potato cakes out of the leftover mashed potatoes. They didn't look like what's in your link, though (agree with ChiefD that I would call that a hash brown) - mom's were caked up like hamburger patties with some egg & onion. She'd flour the outside a bit, then fry those ####ers in lard. 

Might be the 2nd worst fast food cut in history, only behind the elimination of the chili cheese burrito at Taco Bell (although I guess that is available in limited locations)

The worst fast food cut is Taco Bell’s Mexican Pizza. I’m still mourning it and Taco Bell is dead to me until it returns. 
Worst Taco Bell cut for me was their 7-Layer Burrito,  last year I think.

One of my favorite things about holiday meals when I was a kid was the next day, because my mom would make potato cakes out of the leftover mashed potatoes. They didn't look like what's in your link, though (agree with ChiefD that I would call that a hash brown) - mom's were caked up like hamburger patties with some egg & onion. She'd flour the outside a bit, then fry those ####ers in lard. 
I'm gonna have to try this.  I've experimented with frying up leftover mashed potatoes just to try something new and can't quite get it right.  

I'm gonna have to try this.  I've experimented with frying up leftover mashed potatoes just to try something new and can't quite get it right.  
I've never been able to get them as right as my mother. Getting the right binding is the key, but - with me - it varies based since I'm so inconsistent with my mashed potatoes. 

My grandfather did this for years with leftover mashed potatoes. I’ve never been able to re-create them either. 

We usually just do FF on road trips and will go to arby's when available. Those potato cakes were a favorite.  Trader Joe's has something similar and we do keep those around the house.

As for the leftover mashed potatoes, yeah making pancakes from them has been a hit (i like chive , sour cream, and/or bacon).  The flour helps hold or seal the pancake.  You can also use them to make croquettes or pierogis. 

I've never been able to get them as right as my mother. Getting the right binding is the key, but - with me - it varies based since I'm so inconsistent with my mashed potatoes. 
Any idea how much lard/oil she puts in the pan? Does the oil come halfway up the pancake or are they completely immersed (basically deep fried)?

Any idea how much lard/oil she puts in the pan? Does the oil come halfway up the pancake or are they completely immersed (basically deep fried)?
No, not deep fried. But I don't know how lard/bacon grease much she used. I use a skillet and coat the bottom with all seasoning "lard". I tried oil once, and it wasn't good. I can get the outside to crisp up well, but - as I said - sometimes I make the potato too wet and don't use a proper amount of binding because it changes every time. If you're more patient than I (it would be hard NOT to be) and are willing to experiment a little, you could probably nail it on your first or second try. 

for those of you on twitter and wish to support the cause of bringing these delicious and yet semi-reasonably priced side dish ...

* you can express your discontent with Arby's focus on bring out a crinkle and curly fry flavored vodka at $60 a bottle - and dumping the potato cake at @ArbysCares

* you can also choose to follow

Bring BACK Arby's Potato Cakes!

@NoMoreCrinkles

·

Aug 10

Hello followers. This page was created for one simple reason, to convince

@Arbys

to bring back their potato cakes! I'm a lifelong fan of Arby's and love the meats, especially the classic roast beef sandwich with some Arby's sauce and a jamocha shake. But something is missing..

My daughter's hockey practices are about an hour's drive from our house.  About two weeks ago we swung by Arby's to get her and her teammate something to eat for dinner on the drive home.  I hadn't had Arby's in at least a decade or two.   Later that evening, my bowels were not happy with me at all.  Took about a week for my intestines to recover, it was unbelievable.

Jon Stewart was right...“Arby’s: It’s like shock and awe for your bowels.”

#neveragain 

When the worker said "We are out of roast beef", the correct response would have been "well then, you're closed".

I'd like to add that Taco Bells Taco Light was their best taco ever, but their new Cantina Crispy Melt Taco is pretty darn close.

*The Cantina Crispy Melt Taco features a white-corn taco shell filled with a melted layer of 3-cheese blend and nacho cheese, seasoned beef, reduced-fat sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheddar cheese. It's basically a Taco Supreme but with a sturdier shell and a layer of melted cheese along the bottom.

this - it's like a giant tater tot ...only much better

for me ...I dip it both Arby's sauce and Horsey sauce - not ketchup.

I share Binky's appreciation for absolute best thing on Arby's menu!  I haven't had these in years, hell I haven't been to Arby's in years but I was (quite literally) just talking to one of my co-workers the other day.  He was eating lunch at his desk and I said "Oh Arby's are still open?"  He said "yeah, the only thing that didn't have 15 cars in line was Arby's. . . " I immediately said "Potato Cakes instead of fries, right?"  He looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language.  I said "Potato Cakes instead of fries. . .wait. . . seriously, you don't know what I'm talking about???"  Now he's REALLY gonna think I'm nuts when they tell them they don't carry them any longer.  Ah well.

Thats not roast beef. It's slimy lunchmeat. 

Roy Rogers has a good roast beef sandwich. 

Users who are viewing this thread