What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
2022 NFL Draft Wide Receiver Stock Watch: Jameson Williams emerges as wideout we need to take seriously

Excerpt:

Jameson Williams, Alabama: Stock Up

Best catch
In the third quarter, Williams put his leaping skills and the strength of his hands on display when elevated for a high throw from Young and held onto the football after getting hit on his side by a defender.

Later in the third, he got a few steps on the outside corner on a go route for a touchdown. He was super-slippery on a screen in the fourth quarter and flashed some power. His burst and vision were noticeable on a late dig route too. The two-point conversion to tie the game at 31 was a nasty diving grab in the front corner of the end zone. Williams got open with ease all evening, and frankly, has a play style reminiscent of Jerry Jeudy. He's skinny, ultra-fluid, and scintillatingly fast down the field.

Last edited:
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr dropped a new big board and had Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams ranked one spot ahead over teammate John Metchie III.

This came as a surprise seeing Williams (6'2/188) over his teammate Metchie III, as Metchie III has gotten a lot more praise early on in the draft process. The Ohio State transfer Williams has been electric in his first four games for the Crimson Tide, catching 12 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns, along with an 83-yard kick return. Williams offers an appealing combination of size and speed and that will be on full display this Saturday against Ole Miss.

SOURCE: Mel Kiper Jr

Sep 30, 2021, 9:07 PM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams made his inaugural appearance on Mel Kiper Jr's big board.

With his teammate John Metchie III getting all the publicity before the season, Williams (6'2"/188) didn't take log to make his presence felt for the Crimson Tide, posting four catches for 126 yards and a touchdown against Miami. Throughout the rest of the season, Williams has grown a rapport with QB Bryce Young for a total of 35 catches for 710 yards and six touchdowns. Williams has been able to do it all for Alabama, catching deep balls, taking short passes for long gains, and even returning a touchdown against Southern Miss. His debut at number 11 on the big board and second in Kiper Jr's WR rankings will turn some heads, Williams has done plenty to warrant consideration for that spot.

RELATED: 

Bryce Young

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 27, 2021, 1:03 AM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams was able to pick up 160 yards on 10 catches with a touchdown in a 20-14 win over LSU on Saturday. 

Williams scored from 58-yards away on a pass from Bryce Young in the third quarter to give the Crimson Tide a 20-7 lead. That'd be the last score from Alabama, but it was the last score they'd need. The former Ohio State transfer combined with John Metchie for 19 catches in this one, and it's one of the better wideout tandems in the country. The 6-foot-2, 188-pound wideout should have a blast next week against New Mexico State while the game is still being contested in the first quarter. 

Nov 6, 2021, 10:31 PM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams caught six passes for 153 yards and three touchdowns in a 59-3 win over New Mexico State on Saturday.

After the exodus of the four first-round picks at wide receiver the last two years, it was assumed that John Metchie III was the next great receiver. So far this season, it's been Williams (6'2/188). His diverse skill set was on full display on Saturday, as he won on all three levels of the field. The most impressive of his three scores was a post route weaving through defenders and Young hit him with ease. This was Williams' fourth 100-yard game in his last five games played, as it was with touchdown receptions as well. The Crimson Tide take on Arkansas next Saturday.

Nov 13, 2021, 5:01 PM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams caught eight passes for 190 yards and three touchdowns in Alabama's 42-35 win over Arkansas. 

Williams' breakout season continued, as he showed off his ridiculous burner speed over and over and over. Perhaps not wanting to be outdone by his old team's trio of receivers, Williams played like he was on a mission. He caught touchdowns of 79, 32 and 40 yards in an absolutely dominant performance. He sped past corners and deep safeties, and Bryce Young found him every time with perfectly placed dimes. Williams has topped 120 yards in four straight now, and he'll look to make it five times when Alabama takes on Auburn next Saturday. 

Nov 21, 2021, 1:13 AM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams caught seven passes for 184 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 41-24 win over Georgia.

Just because you know what Williams (6'2"/188) is going to do, doesn't mean you can stop it, and that was the case for Georgia. Between taking screens for first downs basically every single time he touched it, he housed two big touchdowns that secured the win for the Crimson Tide. His first was a truly breathtaking display of speed. Bryce Young found Williams all alone in the middle of the field, and once Williams caught it he activated the afterburners and flew past Georgia's defenders in the most predictable footrace of all time to score from 67-yards out. His 55-yarder was a gorgeous ball by Young, placing it right in Williams hands who hit the cornerback with a devastating hesitation move that gave him the step he needed. Williams has had an unbelievable season and will no doubt continue Alabama's legacy of first round wide receivers. He'll add to his stellar totals in the College Football Playoffs. 

Dec 4, 2021, 10:02 PM ET

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams went down with what appeared to be a non-contact knee injury during the national championship matchup against Georgia.

Williams (6'2/188) has been among Alabama's most talented players this season, and at least for now, the Crimson Tide have lost him to what appeared to be a non-contact knee injury during the first half of the national championship matchup against the Georgia Bulldogs. With this kind of injury, the primary concern becomes an ACL tear, something that will surely be a setback for Williams if the worst-case scenario is confirmed.

SOURCE: SEC Network

Jan 10, 2022, 9:38 PM ET

Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_

Second game where Alabama has been without Jameson Williams, the other being Auburn. They aren't recognizable without him. That's how impactful he has been.

Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams (knee) might have an ACL injury.

The Tide certainly turned when Williams (6'2/188) went down with a non-contact injury early in the National Championship. Before that, quarterback Bryce Young and Williams had a great connection and were moving the ball forward. Without the deep threat, Alabama could not make that big play, it didn't necessarily cost them the game, but it was a factor. After the game when head coaches Kirby Smart and Nick Saban met for the post-game handshake, Smart asked about Williams' status. You can hear Saban saying "I think he might have an ACL." We'll certainly find out if that's correct and the severity of the injury. With nine months till the start of next season, we'll see if the star receiver is on the field in Week 1.

SOURCE: Ari Meriov

Jan 11, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

JohnnyU said:
That will make him more affordable on draft day.  Both NFL and Fantasy.
More affordable because he is potentially less valuable.  There is some obvious risk in drafting a player who cannot workout for teams and may spend his entire rookie season rehabbing, but ACL reconstructive surgeries are generally successful.  I am sure there are other examples of players who entered the draft under similar circumstances, but I am drawing a blank.  It would be interesting to look back on how it affected their draft values, both real and fantasy, and eventually their production value.

My suspicion is that Williams stays in school, but we will see.

Do we ever see a day coming when some of these players will skip a playoff game because of this outcome?
Players already skip less meaningful bowl games, and I think it is just a matter of time before we see an NFL prospect sit out a playoff game.  However, it would go against the competitive spirit of the player and bypass an opportunity to play on the biggest stage.  If a player has sufficient game film and is confident in his draft status, I would not fault him for bowing out with so much wealth on the line.  Last season, we saw Jaylen Waddle, at less than 100%, risk great fortune to participate in the National Championship Game.  It worked out for him.  When wealth that will change your life and the lives of your family is on the line, it makes perfect sense to guard that.  I have heard of players in the past obtaining insurance policies, and I wonder if that is a better solution.

Do we ever see a day coming when some of these players will skip a playoff game because of this outcome?

Why playoff or bowl game?  Injuries happen all the time.  Once a player gets 4-5 games in with good film and results why play anymore?  They can get hurt just as easily in the 5th or 6th game of the season or in practice.

Pack it in by November and train for the draft.

Why playoff or bowl game?  Injuries happen all the time.  Once a player gets 4-5 games in with good film and results why play anymore?  They can get hurt just as easily in the 5th or 6th game of the season or in practice.

Pack it in by November and train for the draft.
We saw Ja'Marr Chase skip an entire college season to avoid injury.  :shrug:

We saw Ja'Marr Chase skip an entire college season to avoid injury.  :shrug:

Yep!  Sewell and Parsons too.

Get a good year in and be projected as a future high pick and have skills you will get drafted even if you don`t play.  NFL teams don`t care .

Last edited by a moderator:
Alabama sophomore WR James Williams has declared for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Even with a torn ACL that he suffered in the national championship game against Georgia, this was always going to be the likely move for Williams (6'2/188) who had high-end first round pedigree on him prior to suffering the injury. While his recently suffered injury may impact his stock some, it isn't expected to keep him out of the first round, as many draft experts still believe Williams is a lock to go on Day 1. Williams is unquestionably one of the best playmakers in the 2022 NFL Draft, proving as much after he went for 1,572 yards and 12 touchdowns on 79 receptions while averaging 19.9 yards per reception. Prior to his breakout season in 2021, Williams had spent 2019 and 2020 at Ohio State, where he caught 15 passes for 266 yards and three touchdowns.

SOURCE: ESPN College Football on Twitter

Jan 13, 2022, 2:20 PM ET

it isn'texpected to keep him out of the first round,
This will surely affect Williams' draft placement.  An NFL team is likely going to have to wait a season while Williams rehabs.  Still, his potential is enticing.

I am curious what data we have on players returning from ACL injuries.  Does it often take them a playing season back before they return to pre-injury level?  

It is already a difficult transition to the NFL, and this is yet another hurdle for Williams.  I am pulling for the kid

I could see a scenario where he falls to round two. There are three WR's that will be drafted before him and another two that could go before him now after the ACL tear.

ETA: Really depends on team need and if they can endure a redshirt year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see a scenario where he falls to round two. There are three WR's that will be drafted before him and another two that could go before him now after the ACL tear.

ETA: Really depends on team need and if they can endure a redshirt year.
Total Howie Roseman move, even more so having 3 1st’s this year

He’s not gonna fall in the draft due to an ACL injury.  At his age it’s basically a non-issue.
By Draft day, George Pickens will be a full year removed from his ACL tear and has amazingly completed a speedy and successful same-season recovery, and still his injury is affecting his draft grade.  I am a huge fan of Jameson Williams, but if I am managing an NFL team, I have to take into consideration that he is likely to miss most or all of his rookie season while he rehabs, and the potential that the injury robs Williams of some of his explosiveness.  Every NFL team has immediate needs, so it may take a team like Philly with the luxury of extra early picks for Williams to get drafted at or near his pre-injury grade. 

"Win now" teams will pass, some GM with his job on the line or with an aging QB.  But someone will take a chance and do the draft & stash.

"Win now" teams will pass, some GM with his job on the line or with an aging QB.  But someone will take a chance and do the draft & stash.
Absolutely some team will draft him to stash him away a season.  The question for me is how far does he drop in the draft?  Williams was considered a likely first-round pick prior to his injury, and some believed he would be the first WR drafted.

Absolutely some team will draft him to stash him away a season.  The question for me is how far does he drop in the draft?  Williams was considered a likely first-round pick prior to his injury, and some believed he would be the first WR drafted.
I’ll be surprised if he’s still not one of the first 3 WR’s drafted.

jameson / Wilson/London in some order. 

Jaylon Smith dropped to end of first round 

Jake Butt had a bigger slide. 

I think he still gets taken in the first

Titans reelected Jeffrey Simmons in the first just a couple months after tearing his ACL. That one worked out well.
Simmons was a freak of nature. He was every bit the prospect Nick Bosa was in that draft without the ACL tear. Jameson Williams was never going top-5. I'm surprised he and Metchie came out, instead of staying with a Heisman winning QB, and possibly improving their draft stocks, while contending for a national title. 

We'll see how they recover, but right now I'd be shocked if either went in the 1st round. Metchie might even fall to round 3. 

Simmons was a freak of nature. He was every bit the prospect Nick Bosa was in that draft without the ACL tear. Jameson Williams was never going top-5. I'm surprised he and Metchie came out, instead of staying with a Heisman winning QB, and possibly improving their draft stocks, while contending for a national title. 

We'll see how they recover, but right now I'd be shocked if either went in the 1st round. Metchie might even fall to round 3. 
Simmons was never going to drop far.  Dominant interior pass rushers are too scarce for that.  

Todd Gurley was considered a rare, elite talent at RB, and was taken in the top 10 despite his injury.

Jameson Williams is a very good, but not elite prospect in a what is a pretty deep WR class.  

Jaylon Smith dropped to end of first round 

Jake Butt had a bigger slide. 

I think he still gets taken in the first
There are at least 4 other WRs better than him (Burks, London, Wilson, and Bell) and probably a fifth in the conversation (Olave), and not all of them will go in the first.  That being said, even if Williams hadn't got hurt there is a good chance he wouldn't have gone in the first, let alone doing so after the ACL tear.

Former Alabama sophomore WR Jameson Williams ahead of schedule following ACL tear in national championship game.

Williams (6'2/188) spoke with the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport a week after his surgery to repair his torn ACL, and told Rapoport that he feels awesome and is reportedly ahead of schedule. Williams declared for the 2022 NFL Draft on January 13th despite suffering the devastating injury in the national championship game, and should be a first round draft pick in the 2022 NFL Draft barring any unexpected setbacks. Last season, Williams caught 79 passes for 1,572 yards and 12 touchdowns for the Tide.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 25, 2022, 4:47 PM ET

There are at least 4 other WRs better than him (Burks, London, Wilson, and Bell) and probably a fifth in the conversation (Olave), and not all of them will go in the first.  That being said, even if Williams hadn't got hurt there is a good chance he wouldn't have gone in the first, let alone doing so after the ACL tear.
I'd add Dotson to that list

Users who are viewing this thread