What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wifi questions (2 Viewers)

skol asylum

Footballguy
I have Cox Gigablast internet and rent their modem/router gateway for $12 a month. We have a two story 2750 sq ft house. My wife frequently complains of her connection downstairs around the corner a couple of rooms over from the den where the gateway is connected and both her and the kids have issues upstairs with connectivity sometimes. I was going to add one or two wifi extenders but wasn't sure if that's the way to go or which ones. I see there is this eero mesh stuff but it looks pricey. Also that's just the router portion right? I'd still need a modem? Oh I almost forgot, Cox will also sell me "pods" for $129 each which I guess are their version of wifi extenders, but they describe it as creating a mesh system.

Looking for some expert advice on which direction to go to get super solid speeds throughout the home. We are a family of four big web users as we both work from home, my wife is doing grad school, and my oldest is doing online school, not to mention all our streaming for games and video etc. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
At first, I thought it was wife questions.

Then I read the OP, and it turns out it actually is!

Anyway, get a mesh system. I have the Google mesh system and it works great. It just always works.  The 3 pack will run you about $200. It's one of the best purchases I've made. Others here have Eero and happy with it too. It'll be $200-300 no matter which system you go but it'll be worth it. 

Thanks. I was looking at the cheaper eero systems like you mention. I still need a modem though right? Any recommendations there? Again currently I'm using the Cox provided rental Panoramic gateway 2 in 1 modem / router.

Thanks. I was looking at the cheaper eero systems like you mention. I still need a modem though right? Any recommendations there? Again currently I'm using the Cox provided rental Panoramic gateway 2 in 1 modem / router.
You can still use that modem. You just add this system to it and use it as your router instead. 

However, no idea why you are renting a modem. It should be cheaper to just buy it outright. Talk to Cox about that option. If you buy your own, you need to make sure it's compatible with their service. 

Wired eagerness backhaul is nice if you can get one of the satellites far enough away (say 50') to get extra coverage and you have the ability to run a cat5 line to that satellite. 

My dad did this to get wifi coverage on his backyard.  The router is in the house and the satellite is in the detached garage about 25' away from the exterior of the house and 60' from the main router. 

Coverages and speeds both excellent. 

You can also backhaul using ethernet over power lines inside your house.  Not the best speeds but could help.

GLLLLLLLLLL

I actually cancelled the TP Link and upgraded to a higher TP Link model which mentioned the wifi 6 speeds. That's what the current gateway supposedly has.

TP-Link Deco WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X20) - Covers up to 5800 Sq.Ft. , Replaces Wireless Routers and Extenders(3-Pack, 6 Ethernet Ports in total, supports Wired Ethernet Backhaul) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_KC1GH01R406EXB5DVKCT

I know you probably already know this but, imho, with the way things are, you definitely want to do some basic things once you get your new WiFi units.  I've linked a site from the FTC but you'll want to change every default setting you can (name, admin password, etc.) but I would make sure you keep it set for automatic firmware updates turned on but then disable as much as you can that you don't need (things like remote management, old wifi standards you don't use, etc.) set up a guest network to keep visitors off your primary network and then make your primary network password something long and complex (yes it's a PITA but you want it that way) and then I would change that like once every 6-12 months to be on the safe side.

I would read this link over from the FTC and if there's something there you don't understand, google it and learn what it is.  The bad guys out there thrive on people's laziness and/or ignorance, don't let them do that to you read up : https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-secure-your-home-wi-fi-network

At first, I thought it was wife questions.

Then I read the OP, and it turns out it actually is!

Anyway, get a mesh system. I have the Google mesh system and it works great. It just always works.  The 3 pack will run you about $200. It's one of the best purchases I've made. Others here have Eero and happy with it too. It'll be $200-300 no matter which system you go but it'll be worth it. 
:goodposting:

Second the google system....no problems whatsoever with it and I can have both it and the wifi running from my cable modem/router combo...no interference.

Wired eagerness backhaul is nice if you can get one of the satellites far enough away (say 50') to get extra coverage and you have the ability to run a cat5 line to that satellite. 

My dad did this to get wifi coverage on his backyard.  The router is in the house and the satellite is in the detached garage about 25' away from the exterior of the house and 60' from the main router. 

You can also backhaul using ethernet over power lines inside your house.  Not the best speeds but could help.

GLLLLLLLLLL
Good info.

Wired backhaul over coax works great, too. Near-ethernet speed. Both blow away power lines. Love my MoCA 2.5 network.

GLLLLLLLLLL
Agreed on the wired backhaul. I use a lesser known mesh system, Gryphon. Great parental controls and security features. 

Gryphon AX

Also, for anyone else reading this thread, I didn't really see this addressed - Wifi "extenders" (not mesh, but the ones that promise to just "plug into the wall and get additional coverage with your existing setup") are generally a bad idea. Not saying they can't work, but they can muddy up the network (I know, super technical there), they often present as separate networks if not setup right, often only have half-bandwidth, devices often connect to that instead of the maybe slightly weaker, but full bandwidth router, and there is also a possibility of it creating feedback loops that reduce speed on the entire network if not setup properly or in a really bad area (which is the reason for getting them in the first place). So just be warned - for someone that knows what they are doing and can get them setup properly, they can work, but they are often way more trouble than they are worth.

And the answer is to just get a mesh network setup when you need the additional coverage, rather than trying to piecemeal it with extender(s). It'll work better and is probably better technology as well.

cap'n grunge said:
Looking at the design of what I ordered, the brand name makes so much more sense now.

Limited-time deal: TP-Link Deco WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X20) - Covers up to 5800 Sq.Ft. , Replaces Wireless Routers and Extenders(3-Pack, 6 Ethernet Ports in total, supports Wired Ethernet Backhaul) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_MA7NK7ZD2PFPKH7XC0MJ
Google is only $185 for the 3 pack

I can only speak for personal experience, but this is the one I own and I've had zero issues with it.  Flawless coverage over the same square footage.

Also, for anyone else reading this thread, I didn't really see this addressed - Wifi "extenders" (not mesh, but the ones that promise to just "plug into the wall and get additional coverage with your existing setup") are generally a bad idea. Not saying they can't work, but they can muddy up the network (I know, super technical there), they often present as separate networks if not setup right, often only have half-bandwidth, devices often connect to that instead of the maybe slightly weaker, but full bandwidth router, and there is also a possibility of it creating feedback loops that reduce speed on the entire network if not setup properly or in a really bad area (which is the reason for getting them in the first place). So just be warned - for someone that knows what they are doing and can get them setup properly, they can work, but they are often way more trouble than they are worth.

And the answer is to just get a mesh network setup when you need the additional coverage, rather than trying to piecemeal it with extender(s). It'll work better and is probably better technology as well.
Good to know. That was my initial plan until I looked into a little deeper.

It's cheaper because it's not WiFi 6. I'm not sure if it really makes a real world difference but it looks like WiFi 6 takes advantage of the gigabit speed I'm paying for. 
Well, fwiw, I changed to AT&T fiber and get 300 up and 300 down and my Google Wi

But, I can see getting the technology now since it'll be good to have moving forward.  I've heard great things (as well as seen people post here) about the Eero 6. It's not that much more to what you linked. 

ConstruxBoy said:
Agreed on the wired backhaul. I use a lesser known mesh system, Gryphon. Great parental controls and security features. 

Gryphon AX
Also just noticed on that page they offer a 90 day money back guarantee. That’s amazing. 

Well, fwiw, I changed to AT&T fiber and get 300 up and 300 down and my Google Wi

But, I can see getting the technology now since it'll be good to have moving forward.  I've heard great things (as well as seen people post here) about the Eero 6. It's not that much more to what you linked. 
Looks like the 3 router version is $349. Not sure what the difference is with the smaller add-ons. Also a slower speed than what I bought. Again though it's probably all overkill and no representative of the true wifi speeds you get.

Looks like the 3 router version is $349. Not sure what the difference is with the smaller add-ons. Also a slower speed than what I bought. Again though it's probably all overkill and no representative of the true wifi speeds you get.
Unless you need to plug devices directly into either of the 2 hubs, you don't need the 3 router version.

Unless you need to plug devices directly into either of the 2 hubs, you don't need the 3 router version.
I think I'm going to like the option to plug in. My wife has issues with her work laptop downstairs and school laptop upstairs. If I understand correctly plugging directly in will give her better stability.

Also chatted with Cox and I guess I can go to a Cox store and turn in the Panoramic Gateway, cancelling my $12 a month rent, and get a Docsis 3.1 modem from them for free because I have phone service. I asked what happens if I cancel my phone service because I'm thinking of doing so and they said you just keep the modem for free. Thinking of using a Google Voice number as our "home phone" and routing it to our two cells. Whole other topic as I'm new to using Google Voice but have been doing some reading and playing around with the app.

Also chatted with Cox and I guess I can go to a Cox store and turn in the Panoramic Gateway, cancelling my $12 a month rent, and get a Docsis 3.1 modem from them for free because I have phone service. I asked what happens if I cancel my phone service because I'm thinking of doing so and they said you just keep the modem for free. Thinking of using a Google Voice number as our "home phone" and routing it to our two cells. Whole other topic as I'm new to using Google Voice but have been doing some reading and playing around with the app.
Just get this and you can have a home land line for free (other than cost to buy this)

I've read a little about this. So plug into router and into existing home phones. Then use Google voice number with said phones. Is that the gist of it? Thanks. Obviously a late adapter of alot of this tech.
Yep.  Simple as that.  And you can still forward the number to your cell phone if you want (like when you're not home) but I never do that since we rarely use the number.  It's just for emergencies so that kids at home have a phone to use.  Of note, this does not have 911 service.  There are other options that do (such as Ooma) but you have to pay a small monthly amount for taxes that cover that 911 service (usually like $4-5/month). 

Yep.  Simple as that.  And you can still forward the number to your cell phone if you want (like when you're not home) but I never do that since we rarely use the number.  It's just for emergencies so that kids at home have a phone to use.  Of note, this does not have 911 service.  There are other options that do (such as Ooma) but you have to pay a small monthly amount for taxes that cover that 911 service (usually like $4-5/month). 
If you don't forward to cells can you still use Google voice apps to access the voicemail? How else would you do so? OG landlines wouldn't have voicemail I assume unless you had OG voicemail machine built into base unit?

I'd you don't forward to cells can you still use Google voice apps to access the voicemail? How else would you do so? OG landlines wouldn't have voicemail I assume unless you had OG voicemail machine built into base unit?
Correct, still goes to voicemail and you can see that on your phone when it happens even if it isn't forwarded.  The only thing that doesn't happen is that it won't ring your phone (which it would if you forwarded it).

That's great. Make sure they give you one that supports the speed you are paying for. IIRC it seems like some Docsis 3.1 modems don't.

Mesh routers should fix your coverage/connectivity issues.

Will you be connecting the mesh routers via ethernet cables or wirelessly?

That's great. Make sure they give you one that supports the speed you are paying for. IIRC it seems like some Docsis 3.1 modems don't.

Mesh routers should fix your coverage/connectivity issues.

Will you be connecting the mesh routers via ethernet cables or wirelessly?
Pretty sure the docsis 3.1 supports gigabit but I'll definitely double check. I don't have Ethernet wiring so they will be wireless.

DOCSIS stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification. ... DOCSIS 3.1 supports blazing speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second, a speed only remotely possible with a fiber optic connection up until this point.Feb 17, 2019

cap'n grunge said:
Looking at the design of what I ordered, the brand name makes so much more sense now.

Limited-time deal: TP-Link Deco WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X20) - Covers up to 5800 Sq.Ft. , Replaces Wireless Routers and Extenders(3-Pack, 6 Ethernet Ports in total, supports Wired Ethernet Backhaul) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z35GY6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_dl_MA7NK7ZD2PFPKH7XC0MJ

Looking into this for helping a friend trying to extend coverage in a larger house. Curious if I am reading the descriptions right...

1) one mesh unit will replace the router in a traditional modem + wifi router setup, and as far as connecting devices goes, behaves just like the wifi router did? 

2) how far will a single mesh unit reach? trying to figure out if one or two (or more) mesh units are needed here

3) for myself, if I replaced the wifi router with a mesh unit (like the one capn g linked above), would it give me better speeds on my connected devices? and wifi range would be better/worse than router? (trying to see if I need one of these myself, even if I don't "need" it :lol:  )

TIA

I think I'm going to like the option to plug in. My wife has issues with her work laptop downstairs and school laptop upstairs. If I understand correctly plugging directly in will give her better stability.

I used to think this too until I splurged for a good mesh system (Orbi in my case).  I've had our entire house running completely wireless for 18 months now.  We've got the following running 100% wireless

• 2 laptops that are WFH full time
  • 3 iPhones
  • 3 Rokus that are streaming TV all day long (we cut the cable at the same time)
  • Xbox One
  • Ring doorbell and security system
  • And a bunch of other SmartHome stuff like our thermostat, Philips Hue, etc. 
Between my wife's work laptop and my son's gaming, trust me when I say I'd hear about it if their connections were even the least bit spotty.  I'm not saying this will be the case for every person in every situation, but today's mesh systems are a night and day difference from the stand-alone Wi-Fi routers so many people are still using.

I used to think this too until I splurged for a good mesh system (Orbi in my case).  I've had our entire house running completely wireless for 18 months now.  We've got the following running 100% wireless

• 2 laptops that are WFH full time
  • 3 iPhones
  • 3 Rokus that are streaming TV all day long (we cut the cable at the same time)
  • Xbox One
  • Ring doorbell and security system
  • And a bunch of other SmartHome stuff like our thermostat, Philips Hue, etc. 
Between my wife's work laptop and my son's gaming, trust me when I say I'd hear about it if their connections were even the least bit spotty.  I'm not saying this will be the case for every person in every situation, but today's mesh systems are a night and day difference from the stand-alone Wi-Fi routers so many people are still using.
Nice.

So one concern I have. She set up a corner in our master walk in closet to do her school work, mostly so she can have quiet and no one bothers her. If I put one of the mesh units in the closet I wonder how good a signal it will get from the main unit. I'm thinking I might want to buy one more unit. So main unit downstairs in den (converted dining room), 2nd unit around corner and 2 rooms over for her work station, one upstairs in loft to cover loft and 2 kid rooms, and 4th in the master bedroom closet.

DOCSIS stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification. ... DOCSIS 3.1 supports blazing speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second, a speed only remotely possible with a fiber optic connection up until this point.Feb 17, 2019
A DOCSIS 3.1 modem is still worth getting as long as your local ISP supports it. It uses entirely different channels than previous DOCSIS specs. If your area has low adoption of DOCSIS 3.1 you will be getting the best speeds possible with less competition for bandwidth. I upgraded my modem last year and now get 25% MORE bandwidth than I'm paying for. 

Master bedroom closet is directly on top of downstairs of her work station if that makes a difference. Not sure how well these signals travel through ceilings/floors.

Found a floor plan online which is basically the same as ours. One difference is upstairs we have an open loft area whereas this one added a wall to close off a 4th bedroom. I highlighted where I think I'll put the mesh units assuming I get a 4th for loft. The main unit is in the room called dining room.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ykFq2NtxRndvuuQ19

Found a floor plan online which is basically the same as ours. One difference is upstairs we have an open loft area whereas this one added a wall to close off a 4th bedroom. I highlighted where I think I'll put the mesh units assuming I get a 4th for loft. The main unit is in the room called dining room.

You're going to be amazed at the coverage the mesh system provides. I would start with the 3 and see how it works. If you're having an issue, add one more. It gets through walls and covers upstairs/downstairs well.

I agree with Gianmarco, start with 3 then add a 4th if necessary. Floors and interior walls aren't a big problem. Concrete or brick can be a problem. If you do need a 4th it'll more likely  be for the 1-car garage area than the closet. Generally, I would probably avoid putting put them directly above/below each other.

I agree with Gianmarco, start with 3 then add a 4th if necessary. Floors and interior walls aren't a big problem. Concrete or brick can be a problem. If you do need a 4th it'll more likely  be for the 1-car garage area than the closet. Generally, I would probably avoid putting put them directly above/below each other.
Already get decent coverage in the one car garage. We've been working on making that a home gym. Put a new window AC unit in there and a couple of treadmills. Also bought a new recombent bike I still need to put together. Got a cheap Fire TV from Amazon in there.

Thinking of using a Google Voice number as our "home phone" and routing it to our two cells. Whole other topic as I'm new to using Google Voice but have been doing some reading and playing around with the app.
That is a pain in the #### on the free version...

During the pandemic I took the time and ran cable from my basement rec room (where my router is at) and put in an Ubiquiti access point on the first floor opposite side of the house. Now I still run hardwire to my PC and our iRacing rig since they are in the rec room right next to the switch but beyond that we have 2 Xboxes, 4 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 streaming TV's and my wifes laptop and the kids two laptops running on it and the only issue I ever have is my iPad which is the oldest will occasionally act like it has no connection for 30 seconds and then work again when in our bedroom which is the farthest spot away.

Looking into this for helping a friend trying to extend coverage in a larger house. Curious if I am reading the descriptions right...

1) one mesh unit will replace the router in a traditional modem + wifi router setup, and as far as connecting devices goes, behaves just like the wifi router did? 

2) how far will a single mesh unit reach? trying to figure out if one or two (or more) mesh units are needed here

3) for myself, if I replaced the wifi router with a mesh unit (like the one capn g linked above), would it give me better speeds on my connected devices? and wifi range would be better/worse than router? (trying to see if I need one of these myself, even if I don't "need" it :lol:  )

TIA
bump :popcorn:  

Already get decent coverage in the one car garage. We've been working on making that a home gym. Put a new window AC unit in there and a couple of treadmills. Also bought a new recombent bike I still need to put together. Got a cheap Fire TV from Amazon in there.
Um...you're saying it gets decent coverage now, right, using your Cox gateway which is in the den? With your new setup (dots on your floorplan) there won't be a router in the den anymore. Maybe you should put the third Deco in the den.

TIA
bump :popcorn:  
1. Yes.

2. It depends on the mesh unit, but mesh systems will have 2 or three to start with. The main unit and at least one satellite.

3. It depends on what type of wifi you have today, it is possible that it will be faster. It should have better coverage.

TIA
1.) Yes. You'll still need a modem. The mesh system is a system of wifi routers that work together, with the first one connected to your modem and the others connected to the first one.

2.) Varies by product (signal power) and your home's layout. Signals traverse interior walls & floors well. I had issues with brick exterior walls.

3.) Range would likely be better depending on above. Speed & reliability should be much better than a router+extender combination. I fought with router+extender combinations for years but have had zero issues since getting mesh (though my satellites are wired due to distance & brick).

Users who are viewing this thread