What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Biden be impeached for lying to the country about Afghanistan? (1 Viewer)

Should Biden be impeached for lying to the country about Afghanistan withdrawal?

• Yes

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No (he either didn't lie or he shouldn't be impeached for lying)

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters
I think this boxes Biden detractors (I consider myself one) into a corner.  All that’s been said about him, even prior to his running, is that he’s in serious cognitive decline (which I believe he’s is).  If so it’s impossible to know if he lied about the 2500 troops info or just doesn’t remember. But one can’t argue cognitive decline and not allow for the forgetting.    

I think this boxes Biden detractors (I consider myself one) into a corner.  All that’s been said about him, even prior to his running, is that he’s in serious cognitive decline (which I believe he’s is).  If so it’s impossible to know if he lied about the 2500 troops info or just doesn’t remember. But one can’t argue cognitive decline and not allow for the forgetting.    
I would think it boxes his supporters into an even tighter corner, no?

Can’t find it on Newsmax
Geez. It's everywhere. Try the BBC.

Testimony by Gen Mark Milley and Gen Frank McKenzie to Congress seemed to contradict President Joe Biden, who said he did not recall any such advice.

This appears to contradict President Joe Biden's assertion to an ABC journalist on 19 August that he did not recall anyone giving him such advice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58719834

Last edited by a moderator:
When did the bar for impeachment get lowered to "he lied about something"?

Neither of the Bush presidents got impeached for lying about tax hikes or weapons of mass destruction. I mean, isn't it reflexive dogma to just assume all politicians lie at some point? I get that those under the GOP influence can't wait for "payback" for the Trump impeachments, but those were completely deserved for breaking the law and anti-democratic activities. There is no comparison to any other POTUS in American history.

VIDEO: Jonathan Turley’s full opening statement | Trump's first impeachment Dec 4, 2019 PBS NewsHour

Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor, cautioned House lawmakers on Dec. 4 against impeaching President Donald Trump. Speaking during the first day of public hearings by the Judiciary Committee in the impeachment inquiry into Trump, Turley said that to impeach Trump based on the current evidence “would be to expose every future president to the same type of inchoate impeachment.” The focus of the Judiciary hearing, which came after the House Intelligence Committee held hearings in late November, is to define the grounds for a presidential impeachment. The impeachment inquiry has revolved around a July 25 phone call in which Trump asked the president of Ukraine to investigate former vice president and 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son, Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G3BTOwwqTs

Jonathan Turley asked the same core question you did. He voted against Trump and his answer should surprise some people.

Since he talks about things the left leaning MSM won't like nor support, his viewpoints were suppressed in the daily media cycle.

I'm fine with impeaching and removing any president for lying.  In fact I think we shoudl take it one step further and ban anyone that has lied from running as president.

JC in 2024

It might be time to rethink the bar when literally no one in the competition clears it....maybe?

It might be time to rethink the bar when literally no one clears it....maybe?
Impeaching him for this is silly. But, damn, can we not have a POTUS that can color inside the lines?  Or at least not look like a three year old doing it?  

The statements about the 2500 troops and about this 3.5T bill costing nothing are so transparently, ridiculously false they permanently injure the reputation of the office.

Trump just lied as part of his fabric but believed his lies.   

I agree with you that Biden`s lies are because he is very much in cognitive decline.    

Is he is decline for a guy pushing 80 and sitting around in his lazy boy repeating the same stories?  Probably a little but that is to be expected.   For the demanding job of POTUS?  100% and you can see it when he talks and even walks.

I have watched old videos of Biden to catch up, he was not a sharp guy back in the 90s, but is much worse now.

When he keeps saying the 3.5 trillion bill will will be closer to 5 trillion will cost nothing what in Gods name is he talking about??

Neither of the Bush presidents got impeached for lying about tax hikes or weapons of mass destruction. I mean, isn't it reflexive dogma to just assume all politicians lie at some point? I get that those under the GOP influence can't wait for "payback" for the Trump impeachments, but those were completely deserved for breaking the law and anti-democratic activities. There is no comparison to any other POTUS in American history.
When the lie is covering up for hundreds of Americans lives and tens of thousands of allies.  There is no But Trump! comparison for this. Probably just your reflex. 

If we impeach any or every president for simply lying, we'd have a revolving door of presidents. No.
Or we would have had over 20000 new presidents during the last term  Although by now his lies are over 30,000 (although he does reiterate the same disproven ones over and over).

Should Biden be impeached for lying to the country about Afghanistan withdrawal? Should he?

The Federalist Papers : No. 65 The Powers of the Senate
Friday, March 7, 1788. HAMILTON

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed65.asp

Alexander Hamilton brings up three key points in impeachment

1) The overarching issue should always be what serves the best interests of the American people i.e. the "public trust"

2) All American political systems need a functional "jury" as a bridge between the "judges" and the "accused"

3) Impeachment should not come down to which political party is currently carrying the biggest stick in the yard given the time and place

Could someone stretch an impeachment charge against Biden? I'd weigh out that if you stretched it out for 45 thousand miles first, you might be able to swing seditious conspiracy to try to fit something approximating Constitutional muster. But the problem is it would not functionally pass actual Constitutional muster.

Whatever people think about Donald Trump, the two impeachments lowered the bar and did so egregiously. I'm not going to sit here and universally defend all of Trump's words and actions, because as Hamilton points out, the best interests of the American people need to be considered. Did Trump behave always in the best interests of the American people? No. But aside from that, from a legal and Constitutional standpoint, should he have been impeached twice?  No.

The law is not the same as justice. It's a distinction too many lawyers here on the left side of  the aisle routinely ignore. But given the desperate incompetence I've seen from many of the regular posters who are lawyers parading around their law degrees ( not all but far too many), it doesn't surprise me. 4th tier ambulance chasers begging for accolades they can't get from actual talent. The law is actually fascinating and vibrant and even sometimes beautiful, and these mouthbreathing Quad A wannabe All Stars reduce it down to a two dollar whore at closing time.

Defense of Donald Trump is NOT the same as defense of a Constitutional principle. If you defend the principle, you defend the law, which is meant to defend ALL PEOPLE. What Hamilton is discussing is about actual principle. People live and they die. Scandals come and they go. But principles are meant to stand the test of time.

Donald Trump should NOT have been impeached twice because doing so is an attack on Constitutional principle.

In keeping with that, Joe Biden should not be impeached, at least as per this scenario presented, because it also would be tantamount to an attack on Constitutional principle.

If establishment Democrats want to sell their integrity because they believe "stopping one man" is bigger than the Republic, than I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for the world the want to leave their children. When you see people set their integrity on fire, just walk away. Don't get engulfed in the flames of their tribalism.

The GOP should not play ###-for-tat.  Hamilton warned of the dangers of this. The danger is taking killshots by ignoring principle is a sad pathetic repugnant way to watch actual freedom die.

It's not a real victory if you have to slaughter actual principles in order to hollowly claim a win.

When the lie is covering up for hundreds of Americans lives and tens of thousands of allies.  There is no But Trump! comparison for this. Probably just your reflex. 
Wait, we care about our allies now?  Or we care about lying now?  Or we care about the debt ceiling?  Or we care about the filibuster?  Or we care about the sanctity of our elections?  And on and on.  

No.  We really need to stop this cycle of yelling "Impeachment"  for everything that goes wrong. 

The Democrats finally got payback for Clinton. Lets it go now and move along. 

Wait, lying is now an impeachable offense? I wish somebody had told the Democrats that in 2017 or so.

Shouldn't be impeached for lying.  But to be honest, if I was a General sitting in that room and I gave the President military guidance and he proceeded to ignore that guidance, I would resign my post out of protest.  

VIDEO: Jonathan Turley’s full opening statement | Trump's first impeachment Dec 4, 2019 PBS NewsHour

Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor, cautioned House lawmakers on Dec. 4 against impeaching President Donald Trump. Speaking during the first day of public hearings by the Judiciary Committee in the impeachment inquiry into Trump, Turley said that to impeach Trump based on the current evidence “would be to expose every future president to the same type of inchoate impeachment.” The focus of the Judiciary hearing, which came after the House Intelligence Committee held hearings in late November, is to define the grounds for a presidential impeachment. The impeachment inquiry has revolved around a July 25 phone call in which Trump asked the president of Ukraine to investigate former vice president and 2020 presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son, Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G3BTOwwqTs

Jonathan Turley asked the same core question you did. He voted against Trump and his answer should surprise some people.

Since he talks about things the left leaning MSM won't like nor support, his viewpoints were suppressed in the daily media cycle.
yeah, I watched all of Turley's opening statement at the time.  Wasn't impressed then and what he said certainly can't be used to say I told you so about Biden potentially lying about something a general told him.  To call that impeachable is absolute nonsense.  People can disagree about the validity of the Trump impeachment for strong arming the Ukraine (which I have zero doubt he did), but that is nothing like what is being proposed here.  If lying to the American people is impeachable, Every president could have been impeached dozens of times to thousands of times (in Trump's case).

Users who are viewing this thread