What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (1 Viewer)

Yes, I was highest on both Spanish Eyes and I Fall Down. We are getting to songs that I listened to a ton back in the 80s and early 90s. They are songs I had the most exposure to and listened to with regularity. There is no way the newer songs can touch that, and the nostalgia factor for me is going to place those songs way higher on my list. As I mentioned earlier, the age of the rankers and the timeframe they got into the band will dramatically impact their rankings. I also find that being around when they were immensely popular and at the top of their game offered a much different experience than younger folks that can enjoy their music but were not immersed in the experience. Just not Songs of Experience. 
Yep.  It’s generational / timeframe based to a degree.  Like Nintendo vs today’s gaming.  Or early Star Wars (4-6) vs middle (1-3) or later (7-9) Star Wars.   Innate preferences matter, but so does age of exposure.  My son doesn’t really like early Star Wars because “the CGI sucks.” 

#79 - I Fall Down (1981)

Highest Rank - 53

Lowest Rank - 142

Where to Find it - October LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -102/218 - By the time the band needed to be working on the follow-up to their debut, three-fourths of them were deeply enmeshed in a Christian fellowship group called Shalom. They were attending regular meetings of the group while trying to put together the album, which was causing Bono, Edge, and Larry to question everything, including their membership in the band. The Edge actually quit U2 at that time, but didn’t tell anyone except Bono. Some of this, or all of this, is inside “I Fall Down,” which is accompanied by a surprisingly sophisticated arrangement around delicate piano work from the Edge, and a gorgeous vocal from Bono. The whole thing shimmers with gold.

Comment - Very good Album Track, but ranking better than i thought it would as it seems unfinished and unpolished, but thats Lillywhite for you. 

Tomorrow, a very good B Side and a possibly divisive track from the 90s
Great song.  Big fan.  Sounds somewhere between most of Boy……and Gloria.  U2’s version of an early Springsteen song?  Who knows, I’m sleep deprived but listened to this and felt energized.

Yep.  It’s generational / timeframe based to a degree.  Like Nintendo vs today’s gaming.  Or early Star Wars (4-6) vs middle (1-3) or later (7-9) Star Wars.   Innate preferences matter, but so does age of exposure.  My son doesn’t really like early Star Wars because “the CGI sucks.” 
I had a friend my age that had never seen any of the Star Wars movies. He wasn't a big movie guy and then we watched them all. He hated the original series. Thought they were cheesy, he had no attachment to the characters, and they looked like they were one step above a college film in terms of production value. He didn't like them at all and he almost refused to watch more. But then he LOVED the newer ones. Of course, my opinion is 180 degrees the opposite. I remember going to Star Wars when it first came out. There were no movie complexes then. It was basically a stand alone single theater and people lined up around the block to get in and you were lucky to get a ticket. The only way to get a ticket was to wait in line. People would leave the theater and jump back in line to watch it again. The world was a different place back then and people took to that movie like it was one of their kids. But to someone that didn't live it, it's just a run of the mill movie. My kids all ask the same thing . . . why do you like that movie so much, it's lame.

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:
U2 considered several other titles for the album, including:

• Man (in contrast to the group's debut, Boy)
  • Zoo Station
  • Adam.....................which would have been paired w the nude photo of Clayton.   :eek:
  • Fear of Women 
  • Cruise Down Main Street   (a reference to the Rolling Stones' record Exile on Main St. & the cruise missiles launched on Baghdad during the Gulf War.
    Most of the proposed titles were rejected out of the belief that people would see them as pretentious & "another Big Statement fr U2"
Expand  
I think Achtung Baby is a great title. I am also excited that U2 have just released it on a double vinyl colored LP.
Yep....then you must have also rec'd the email from U2.com:

This Friday, Nov 19th, the 30th Anniv Edition of AB, will see a special Standard black vinyl release, along w a Deluxe color vinyl release, w AB (2018 Remaster) & AB (Unter Remixes) also available digitally on the same day. 

And on Dec 3rd the 50-track digital box set arrives incl Uber Remixes, Unter Remixes &, B-Sides w 22 tracks never before available digitally. (Complete track list here)

Want to visit Hansa Studios, where the album was recorded? For 1 wk, from Friday, U2 x THIERRY NOIR makes that possible…  if you can get to Berlin!      From Nov 19th to the 26th, you can book a 30 min time slot free of charge to visit the installation at Hansa Studios between the hours of 12:00 & 20:00. In Berlin and want to visit? Link

Last edited by a moderator:
#80 - Spanish Eyes (1987)

Highest Rank - 43

Lowest Rank - 185

Where to Find it - B Side to I Haven’t found what I’m looking for

Vulture.com ranking and comment -26/218 - “Spanish Eyes” is primal, foolish, and eternal. There’s a whole second album of this type of aching echo that came out of The Joshua Tree sessions and ended up as B-sides, but the album would have felt a little more complete and well-rounded had one of them — preferably this one — made the cut. “Trip Through Your Wires” was meant to represent this particular element, but it doesn’t go as far as this one.

Comment - One of the more interesting b sides. Still its clear why it couldnt make an album. Enjoyable, but forgettable. I’m in the middle of the high and low here. Amazing that vulture absolutely loves it. It wouldn’t have worked well on Joshua Tree imho. We do have 2 top 50 rankings here though. 

Next up, one of the true reasons to tune into October.
The "way-hey-hey, baby hang on" stuff is dumb, and Bono loses control of his voice a few times, but I like the rest of it. 

#79 - I Fall Down (1981)

Highest Rank - 53

Lowest Rank - 142

Vulture.com ranking and comment -102/218 - By the time the band needed to be working on the follow-up to their debut, three-fourths of them were deeply enmeshed in a Christian fellowship group called Shalom. They were attending regular meetings of the group while trying to put together the album, which was causing Bono, Edge, and Larry to question everything, including their membership in the band. The Edge actually quit U2 at that time, but didn’t tell anyone except Bono. Some of this, or all of this, is inside “I Fall Down,” which is accompanied by a surprisingly sophisticated arrangement around delicate piano work from the Edge, and a gorgeous vocal from Bono. The whole thing shimmers with gold.

Comment - Very good Album Track, but ranking better than i thought it would as it seems unfinished and unpolished, but thats Lillywhite for you. 

Love this. I don't see the "unfinished, unpolished" angle at all. The piano work is the best part. 

#80 - Spanish Eyes (1987)    Highest-43    Lowest-185         B Side to I Still Haven’t found
Vulture-26/218 - primal, foolish, & eternal. TJT would have felt more complete had it made the cut.

Comment - 1 of the more interesting b sides. Still its clear why it couldn't make an album. Enjoyable, but forgettable. I’m in the middle of the high & low here. Amazing that vulture absolutely loves it. wouldn’t have worked well on TJT imho. 
Songfact:
In almost every region, the "I Still Haven't Found..." single featured the same 3 songs across 7", 12", cassette & CD formats:
               the album version of      “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”
               previously unreleased    “Spanish Eyes”
               previously unreleased    “Deep in the Heart.”
(In Australia & the Philippines, the 7" single contained only “Spanish Eyes” instead of both tracks)  (I had the US cassette release)

@John Maddens Lunchbox“Spanish Eyes” was written early on in TJT recording sessions at Danesmoate, but was then misplaced. It was found too late to finish for the release of the album.    <--there is a whole lot of material about the recording & schedule of TJT.  So much in fact, that I might make that a totally separate post (esp since we will see nearly all of TJT songs in the next tier of rankings.

Lyrics:     
not going to post them all, but to me this 1 is worth mentioning, its Bono's admission that he needs his wife more than she realizes:
             "I cross the world for green & gold, but it's those Spanish Eyes that get me home"

“Spanish Eyes” has been played live 20 times over the yrs, incl 13 shows on TJT Tour.
Since then, it has been played once on the Zoo TV, Elevation, U2360, I+E, & TJT 2017 Tours............with ALL 7 of those at tour stops in Spain or Mexico City.   (Similar to how U2 usually only play One Tree Hill when they perform in NZ)

It was among the 46 tracks in consideration for U22, but it did not garner enough votes to make the final track list. It also did not make the cut for the follow up compilation released through the fan club, From the Ground Up, but the performance from San Sebastian, Spain on Sept 26, 2010 was released as a digital download prior to that fan club gift being delivered. Link
========================

As i stated above, I had the cassette single & I always loved this song & my thoughts:
       it should have made it on TJT album

Adam & Larry's parts really drive this song  (I always like these types of songs from the band &..........IMHO, THIS is what's missing from a lot of U2's albums over the last 15 or so years.)
      For as good of a song this is,.........The ending of Spanish Eyes is crap.   wish they re-worked it.           

#79 - I Fall Down (1981)   Highest- 53       Lowest- 142                October LP
Vulture-102/218 - 3/4ths were deeply in Christian fellowship group called Shalom, while putting together the album causing Bono, Edge, & Larry to question everything, incl their membership in the band. Edge actually quit U2 at that time, but didn’t tell anyone except Bono. Some of this, or all of this, is inside “I Fall Down,” which is accompanied by a surprisingly sophisticated arrangement around delicate piano work from Edge

Comment-Very good Album Track, but ranking better than i thought. seems unfinished & unpolished, but thats Lillywhite for you. 
Songfact:
It was 1st played on April 17th, 1981 in Bogart's Club in Cincinnati, Ohio while U2 was still on their Boy tour     (this was 3 mths BEFORE the October album was recorded).  It would be played a total of 15 times during that stretch on the Boy tour where the band was obviously working on the arrangements.  Early versions of the song didn't include piano at all and the drums were much heavier & prominent/punkier & the lyrics were quite different.

The original title of the song was "When I Fall Down"
Earlier version from 05-15-1981 Live in San Fran  you can hear the "When I/You Fall Down" lyrics

Been played live 176 times:     All on the Boy, October, War, & TUF tours.....& hasn't been played since 1985

#79 - I Fall Down (1981)

Highest Rank - 53

Lowest Rank - 142

Great tune. I recall listing this as one of their "really good songs" when talking about the band to friends as kids are wont to do, probably in the 1983-1984 timeframe. The piano part isn't particularly complicated, but it shows a nice depth. 

#79 - I Fall Down (1981)

Highest Rank - 53

Lowest Rank - 142

I’ve probably listened to this song 10 times today…..including multiple listens to a live version we have on a bootleg from way back.  Both versions are good, but I love the live version so much.  Even more raw, energetic, Bono making up new lyrics on the spot, etc.  This is a great song.  It really belonged on Boy, but that’s ok.  How did I overlook this song?  Man.  This is why the rankings/countdown have been so awesome.  I love to revisit all these songs AND get exposed to stuff I’ve glossed over.   Thanks @John Maddens Lunchbox 

I’ve probably listened to this song 10 times today…..including multiple listens to a live version we have on a bootleg from way back.  Both versions are good, but I love the live version so much.  Even more raw, energetic, Bono making up new lyrics on the spot, etc.  This is a great song.  It really belonged on Boy, but that’s ok.  How did I overlook this song?  Man.  This is why the rankings/countdown have been so awesome.  I love to revisit all these songs AND get exposed to stuff I’ve glossed over.   Thanks @John Maddens Lunchbox 
No, thanks to you guys. Im learning a ton doing this and its a great way to basically force you out of established comfort zones and hopefully appreciate things more. 

#78 - The Three Sunrises (1984)

Highest Rank - 38

Lowest Rank - 197

Where to Find it - B Side to Unforgettable Fire single.

Vulture.com ranking and comment -138/218 - The same bass figure that opens “4th of July” opens this outtake, which, unlike most of the other rejected tracks for the album, morphs into a mostly complete thought, jangly and Beatles-esque. It allegedly almost made the record but was rejected because it didn’t fit, which is definitely true.

Comment - An ambitious b side track. This is the 5th last B Side we see, tomorrow sees the fourth last. This one doesn’t fully gel, but interesting nonetheless. The 197 low ranking, is the third lowest remaining. The next song is one of the other 2. 

Next up, is this the other divisive track from the 90s after Lemon, or was that Miss Sarajevo or another one to come?

#77 - Numb (1993)

Highest Rank - 30

Lowest Rank - 211

Where to Find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -53/218 - The Edge gets another solo outing, writing and performing it, with visits from Bono singing in his “Fat Lady” falsetto. He called it “the sound of the inside of somebody’s head,” an accurate characterization of this almost Kraftwerk-ian composition, which also contains a healthy dose of humor — all of which can be seen in the hilarious video for the song.

Comment - The last track in the middle third of this countdown. Totally different to anything U2 had done before. Took a lot of guts to release this as the first single from Zooropa. As with most of the electronic stuff that U2 does, I am a big fan. Kraftwerk getting a lot more mentions in this than I would have thought. I’m a but disappointed to not be the highest ranker, but one behind is pretty cool lol. As with Lemon this song split the rankers with a 211 being the lowest remaining. We only have one song ranked in the 200s left and it sees the light of day in a few days time. 

Tomorrow, a track from Rattle and Hum and one of the final B Sides

Numb is about 100 spots too high, lol. Good idea, mediocre execution. 
Yeah, I ranked it too high (in the low hundred range). I would not even say it was a good idea. Not really singing, not much of a song, and Bono falsetto makes it somewhat tepid. But it got a higher score from me out of familiarity. Even with all that, it is kind of catchy. 

Numb is the  kind of song that when I saw the rankings, I wasn't sure if I was the 30 or the 211. 

I was the 30.  When going through the whole catalog, it definitely stands out and doesn't blend into the background. I appreciate them trying something completely different.  I personally like the falsetto.   If this song got overplayed, I'd probably hate it, but as it came and went pretty quickly, when I hear it once per year or whatever, it's great (in small doses). 

Highest Rank - 38

Lowest Rank - 197

Vulture.com ranking and comment -138/218 - The same bass figure that opens “4th of July” opens this outtake, which, unlike most of the other rejected tracks for the album, morphs into a mostly complete thought, jangly and Beatles-esque. It allegedly almost made the record but was rejected because it didn’t fit, which is definitely true.

Comment - An ambitious b side track. This is the 5th last B Side we see, tomorrow sees the fourth last. This one doesn’t fully gel, but interesting nonetheless. The 197 low ranking, is the third lowest remaining. The next song is one of the other 2. 

Next up, is this the other divisive track from the 90s after Lemon, or was that Miss Sarajevo or another one to come?
Sounds like a song I would rank highly. Checks list. Status confirmed as top ranked. The intro is a little bland, but the main song has a driving bass and drum beat. It’s also not a song that’s been played to death. Another high energy song that sounds like it should have been on TUF and not a leftover. The lyrics don’t make a ton of sense, but in this case I like the music so that takes top billing. 

Highest Rank - 38

Lowest Rank - 197

Would love to hear more about the 197 ranking.   Personally, I love this song.  Mrs APK already knew the song when the B-Sides album came out (because she’s been a U2 groupie for a long time), but it was unfamiliar to me.  Instantly loved it the first time I heard it.  The best of the whole band coming together.  Soaring.  Emotive.  Uplifting.

#78 - The Three Sunrises (1984)   Highest- 38    Lowest- 197      B Side to Unforgettable Fire single
Vulture-138/218 - same bass figure that opens “4th of July” opens this outtake, which, unlike most of the other rejected tracks for the album, morphs into a mostly complete thought, jangly & Beatles-esque. It allegedly almost made the record but was rejected because it didn’t fit, which is definitely true

Comment - ambitious b side track. This is the 5th last B Side we see, tomorrow 4th last. This 1 doesn’t fully gel, but interesting nonetheless. 
Songfact:
Actually, in some regions, "The Unforgettable Fire" wasn't commercially released as a single (it wasn't released in the US).

So, for many regions, the 1st introduction to "The Three Sunrises" would have been on the “Wide Awake in America” EP, which included:

•  Bad
  • A Sort of Home Coming (Live)
  • The Three Sunrises
  • Love Comes Tumbling
It has never been played live.

Would love to hear more about the 197 ranking.   Personally, I love this song.  Mrs APK already knew the song when the B-Sides album came out (because she’s been a U2 groupie for a long time), but it was unfamiliar to me.  Instantly loved it the first time I heard it.  The best of the whole band coming together.  Soaring.  Emotive.  Uplifting.
:kicksrock:

I'm jealous. My current wife is not a fan. As in when U2 comes on, she turns it off. I don't mean she puts on something else, I mean she turns the music off and says she doesn't want to listen to that noise. She would rather sit in silence on a road trip than have a U2 song come up. I'm not sure she could even name 3 U2 songs. Can be rest assured she doesn't like any of their songs. I think she thinks Bono is full of himself and she doesn't agree on his views on a lot of things. Maybe Bono kicked her dog for no reason when she was a child,

The Three Sunrises sounds like a song I would rank highly. Checks list. Status confirmed as top ranked. The intro is a little bland, but the main song has a driving bass & drum beat. It’s also not a song that’s been played to death. Another high energy song that sounds like it should have been on TUF & not a leftover. The lyrics don’t make a ton of sense, but in this case I like the music so that takes top billing.

Personally, I love this song.  Mrs APK already knew the song when the B-Sides album came out (because she’s been a U2 groupie for a long time), but it was unfamiliar to me.  Instantly loved it the first time I heard it.  The best of the whole band coming together.  Soaring.  Emotive.  Uplifting.
I couldn't find any background on the song.......but I do agree w both of you.  It does seem like this was a jam song & the lyrics were never really fleshed out or finished as the words "This Love" are repeated 16 times & the words "Sunshine, Sunshine on Me" appear 5 times.

Musically, I think the 4 of them sound awesome together on this song, especially Bono's vocals are right in his wheelhouse (and w/o any of the yelps or ad-libbing that makes JML's skin crawl).  And again, here is a song where you can hear Adam's bassline throughout the song.....So i'm a fan.

I couldn't find any background on the song.......but I do agree w both of you.  It does seem like this was a jam song and the lyrics were never really given fleshed out or finished as the words "This Love" are repeated 16 times and the words "Sunshine, Sunshine on Me" appear 5 times.

Musically, I think the 4 of them sound awesome together on this song, especially Bono's vocals are right in his wheelhouse (and w/o any of the yelps or ad-libbing that makes JML's skin crawl).
From what I found, the song was originally entitled Spirits of the Rising Sun and then later African Sun. From an old notebook from TUF sessions, the song was listed as "filler." It's unclear if they ever intended to release it as is, had other plans for it, or if this would be considered a work in progress or an unfinished song. It was generally agreed that the song didn't fit with the rest of the album (although I disagree).

Apparently in The Making of TUF documentary, there was a reference to Larry, Adam, and Bono having an epiphany to suddenly realize the depth of Edge's talent and they represented the Three Sunrises having an awakening. Sure . . . I guess. Still doesn't explain the seemingly I-wrote-the-lyrics-on-a-napkin-while-I-was-waiting-in-a-drive-thru approach to the songwriting.

#77 - Numb (1993)    Highest-30     Lowest-211             Zooropa LP
Vulture-53/218 - Edge gets another solo outing, writing/performing it, w Bono singing his “Fat Lady” falsetto. Contains a healthy dose of humor—all of which can be seen in the hilarious video for the song
Comment - Totally different to anything U2 had done before. Took guts to release this as the 1st single from Zooropa. As w most of the electronic stuff that U2 does, I am a big fan. Kraftwerk getting a lot more mentions in this than I would have thought. As with Lemon this song split rankers w a 211 being the lowest.
Songfact:
The Edge wrote the entire song, even the lyrics  (so much so that 2 verses had to be cut from the song). "The lyrics came very quickly  & I tapped into many of the ideas behind Zoo TV, the sense that we were being bombarded by so much information that you find yourself shutting down & unable to respond." 

Edge had recently gone through a divorce.........."It conveys the confusion & hurt & numbness one feels in a relationship break up. How one goes over every negative thing said to them or order thrown at them by their prior spouse that sends them numb."

Edge sang lead vocals (this is only the 3rd time he did this)...the other times being "Seconds" fr War & "Van Diemen's Land" fr Rattle & Hum.  Bono provided falsetto & even Larry provided backing vocals (for the very 1st time).

The song started as an outtake from a discarded AB session track called "Down All The Days".....at that time, the band was not fond of the track.
Edge:  “Down All the Days" was a quite unhinged electronic backing track w a very traditional melody & lyrics”. “It almost worked.”   But what made it work as “Numb” was replacing Bono’s melody w the Edge’s deadpan rapping & lots of errant noises & samples.  

During the Zooropa sessions, U2 revisited the song & producer Brian Eno began working & adding 6 or 7 tracks of keyboards to the submix, mostly samples. Some of the samples included Arabic voices & congas. "The idea of his overdubs was to make up music out of non-musical noises, like loops of pieces of dialogue & video samples."  “What we’re trying to do is re-create that feeling of sensory overload,” said Bono. “So you hear a football crowd, a line of ‘don’t’s, kitsch soul singing in that context.”j  (At one point, a sample of a Walkman cassette player rewinding was accidentally recorded onto the audio tapes, but the group liked the sound & looped it throughout the song.) 

The backing drumbeat was taken from the 1935 Leni Riefenstahl Nazi propaganda film called Triumph of the Will, which shows an 11-year-old Hitler Youth playing a bass drum.   (Here we go again w the Hitler reference)

Rolling Stone listed "Numb" as the 49th best U2 song.

Releases
"Numb" was an unlikely choice for a 1st single (especially since it was Edge singing, not Bono) & was released in an even more unlikely format, a video single.
A remix of "Numb" appeared in the 1995 movie Showgirls.
The Mike Hedges Mix ended up on U2's compilation release for the 1990s, The Best of 1990-2000

Videos:
The official music video is mostly a tight shot of The Edge, wearing his signature black hat, & staring straight into the camera sitting under a dripping tap.  He stoically sings the song while strange things happen to him or try to distract him, such as:
       Adam blows smoke into his face from the side
       Someone massages his neck from behind
       Hands prod his face from the front
       Two women lick & kiss his face from the side
       A hand feeds him from one side
       A young girl comes in from the side & slaps him repeatedly
       Someone cuts his shirt off
       Someone wraps string around his face
       Larry & Bono come in from the sides to sing the chorus

A foot rubs against his face from either side  (see below)
        Roses are thrown at him
        A male hand caresses his face
        A belly dancer dances in front of him               (see below)
        Various people come up and take selfies with The Edge
        Paul McGuinness whispers in his ear

The video was filmed in Berlin on June 14, 1993, the day before a concert was held in Berlin.
It was directed by Kevin Godley, who came up w the concept the day before the shoot.  There were 8 takes in total & the final video uses 2 of them.  For The Edge, the challenge was keeping a straight face throughout.  Edge never laughs!

Naomi Campbell was one of the hands / feet in the video, and was on the set during the production.

The other pair of feet belong to Morleigh Steinberg, who also does the belly dance for him in the clip. She was the dancer on the Zoo TV tour who performed during "Mysterious Ways." She and The Edge got married in 2002.  (I will have a totally separate post about Morleigh & Edge's relationship & documenting all of the times you've seen Morleigh)

Godley used a similar concept when he directed the "Sweetest Thing" video, which he described as "'Numb' on wheels." That one locks in on Bono from the back of a carriage.

The official video was placed at #16 on New Music Express's list of "50 Worst Music Videos Ever",

A 2nd Video remix was produced by the  Emergency Broadcast Network version  (it was this version that used on stage during live performances of the song on the Zoo TV Tour Live)

The song was also performed live at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, w only the Edge & multiple video screens on stage Link

Parodies:
"Weird Al" Yankovic performed a parody of the song called "Green Eggs & Ham" reciting verses fr the book Green Eggs & Ham as the song's lyrics while having the strange things fr the original video happen to him. Yankovic originally planned for "Green Eggs & Ham" to be featured on his 1996 album Bad Hair Day, but he was unable to get permission from Dr. Seuss' estate.   Link

As a promo for the TV show.....The New WKRP in Cincinnati:  Richard Sanders (aka Les Nessman) rambled out the lyrics to the show's opening theme song while the rest of the cast did odd, random things to him.      Link

Mike Myers & Dana Carvey, in character as Wayne & Garth respectively, inserted themselves into the video on a 1993 MTV special promoting the upcoming Wayne's World 2.  Link

The video was riffed on by Beavis & Butt-Head, notably remarking that the song should've been titled "Dumb".

In Concert:
U2 added "Numb" to their live set lists on 33 times after resuming their Zoo TV Tour in May 1993, but like most songs on Zooropa it has never been performed live since the end of that tour.

From what I found, the song was originally entitled Spirits of the Rising Sun & then later African Sun. From an old notebook from TUF sessions, the song was listed as "filler." It's unclear if they ever intended to release it as is, had other plans for it, or if this would be considered a work in progress or an unfinished song. It was generally agreed that the song didn't fit with the rest of the album (although I disagree).

Apparently in The Making of TUF documentary, there was a reference to Larry, Adam, & Bono having an epiphany to suddenly realize the depth of Edge's talent & they represented the Three Sunrises having an awakening. Sure . . . I guess. Still doesn't explain the seemingly I-wrote-the-lyrics-on-a-napkin-while-I-was-waiting-in-a-drive-thru approach to the songwriting.
Thanks....I did read an unofficial comment that "The Three Sunrises" could have been a biblical meaning   "And on the third day, he rose from the Dead".    But none of the lyrics really point you in that direction. 

I did find this:
"Spirits of the Rising Sun” is a song that was developed for The Unforgettable Fire.
In the exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame celebrating U2 in 2003, a number of notebooks identified as being Brian Eno’s were on display, however, we believe these may have been Daniel Lanois’ notebooks. In the notebooks “Spirits of the Rising Sun” was one of the titles, but there is little additional information given.

The song is described in the notebooks as “filler”, and an alternate title is also given “African Sunrise”.  It is likely this song became “Three Sunrises”.

Sounds like a song I would rank highly. Checks list. Status confirmed as top ranked. The intro is a little bland, but the main song has a driving bass and drum beat. It’s also not a song that’s been played to death. Another high energy song that sounds like it should have been on TUF and not a leftover. The lyrics don’t make a ton of sense, but in this case I like the music so that takes top billing. 
I've been a B-sides hater much of this countdown, but I have Three Sunrises at my #41.  It's really good.  I think Wide Awake in America was the first time I delved into getting a B-sides or whatever from an artist.  I thought it was the #### at the time like I was in some club because I bought a stupid cassette.  Ah the teen years.  

Songfact:
The Edge wrote the entire song, even the lyrics  (so much so that 2 verses had to be cut from the song). "The lyrics came very quickly  & I tapped into many of the ideas behind Zoo TV, the sense that we were being bombarded by so much information that you find yourself shutting down & unable to respond." 

Edge had recently gone through a divorce.........."It conveys the confusion & hurt & numbness one feels in a relationship break up. How one goes over every negative thing said to them or order thrown at them by their prior spouse that sends them numb."

Edge sang lead vocals (this is only the 3rd time he did this)...the other times being "Seconds" fr War & "Van Diemen's Land" fr Rattle & Hum.  Bono provided falsetto & even Larry provided backing vocals (for the very 1st time).

The song started as an outtake from a discarded AB session track called "Down All The Days".....at that time, the band was not fond of the track.
Edge:  “Down All the Days" was a quite unhinged electronic backing track w a very traditional melody & lyrics”. “It almost worked.”   But what made it work as “Numb” was replacing Bono’s melody w the Edge’s deadpan rapping & lots of errant noises & samples.  

During the Zooropa sessions, U2 revisited the song & producer Brian Eno began working & adding 6 or 7 tracks of keyboards to the submix, mostly samples. Some of the samples included Arabic voices & congas. "The idea of his overdubs was to make up music out of non-musical noises, like loops of pieces of dialogue & video samples."  “What we’re trying to do is re-create that feeling of sensory overload,” said Bono. “So you hear a football crowd, a line of ‘don’t’s, kitsch soul singing in that context.”j  (At one point, a sample of a Walkman cassette player rewinding was accidentally recorded onto the audio tapes, but the group liked the sound & looped it throughout the song.) 

The backing drumbeat was taken from the 1935 Leni Riefenstahl Nazi propaganda film called Triumph of the Will, which shows an 11-year-old Hitler Youth playing a bass drum. 

Rolling Stone listed "Numb" as the 49th best U2 song.

Releases
"Numb" was an unlikely choice for a 1st single (especially since it was Edge singing, not Bono) & was released in an even more unlikely format, a video single.
A remix of "Numb" appeared in the 1995 movie Showgirls.
The Mike Hedges Mix ended up on U2's compilation release for the 1990s, The Best of 1990-2000

Videos:
The official music video is mostly a tight shot of The Edge, wearing his signature black hat, & staring straight into the camera sitting under a dripping tap.  He stoically sings the song while strange things happen to him or try to distract him, such as:
       Adam blows smoke into his face from the side
       Someone massages his neck from behind
       Hands prod his face from the front
       Two women lick & kiss his face from the side
       A hand feeds him from one side
       A young girl comes in from the side & slaps him repeatedly
       Someone cuts his shirt off
       Someone wraps string around his face
       Larry & Bono come in from the sides to sing the chorus

A foot rubs against his face from either side  (see below)
        Roses are thrown at him
        A male hand caresses his face
        A belly dancer dances in front of him               (see below)
        Various people come up and take selfies with The Edge
        Paul McGuinness whispers in his ear

The video was filmed in Berlin on June 14, 1993, the day before a concert was held in Berlin.
It was directed by Kevin Godley, who came up w the concept the day before the shoot.  There were 8 takes in total & the final video uses 2 of them.  For The Edge, the challenge was keeping a straight face throughout.  Edge never laughs!

Naomi Campbell was one of the hands / feet in the video, and was on the set during the production.

The other pair of feet belong to Morleigh Steinberg, who also does the belly dance for him in the clip. She was the dancer on the Zoo TV tour who performed during "Mysterious Ways." She and The Edge got married in 2002.  (I will have a totally separate post about Morleigh & Edge's relationship & documenting all of the times you've seen Morleigh)

Godley used a similar concept when he directed the "Sweetest Thing" video, which he described as "'Numb' on wheels." That one locks in on Bono from the back of a carriage.

The official video was placed at #16 on New Music Express's list of "50 Worst Music Videos Ever",

A 2nd Video remix was produced by the  Emergency Broadcast Network version  (it was this version that used on stage during live performances of the song on the Zoo TV Tour Live)

The song was also performed live at the 1993 MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles, w only the Edge & multiple video screens on stage Link

Parodies:
"Weird Al" Yankovic performed a parody of the song called "Green Eggs & Ham" on television while donning a hat similar to the Edge's, sitting in front of a black background, & reciting verses fr the book Green Eggs & Ham as the song's lyrics while having the strange things fr the original video happen to him. Yankovic originally planned for "Green Eggs & Ham" to be featured on his 1996 album Bad Hair Day, but he was unable to get permission from Dr. Seuss' estate.   Link

As a promo for the TV show.....The New WKRP in Cincinnati. Richard Sanders (aka Les Nessman) sat in Edge's place & rambled out the lyrics to the show's opening theme song while the rest of the show's cast did the odd, random things to him.      Link

Mike Myers & Dana Carvey, in character as Wayne & Garth respectively, inserted themselves into the video on a 1993 MTV special promoting the upcoming Wayne's World 2.  Link

The video was riffed on by Beavis & Butt-Head, w Butt-Head notably remarking that the song should've been titled "Dumb".

In Concert:
U2 added "Numb" to their live set lists on 33 times after resuming their Zoo TV Tour in May 1993, but like most songs on Zooropa it has never been performed live since the end of that tour.
"A remix of "Numb" appeared in the 1995 movie Showgirls." 

Ooooh - can I change my rating now? 

Numb is about 100 spots too high, lol. Good idea, mediocre execution. 
Wrong. I think its about 46 spots too low to be exact.

Yeah, I ranked it too high (in the low hundred range). I would not even say it was a good idea. Not really singing, not much of a song, and Bono falsetto makes it somewhat tepid. But it got a higher score from me out of familiarity. Even with all that, it is kind of catchy. 
Yes to the last bit. In preparation for listing it. I’ve been whistling and humming the electronic instrumental break for days. I actually love the Bono falsetto, here and on Lemon.

Love, love, love The Three Sunrises. 

Hate, hate, hate Numb. 
Admit it, you love Numb. Such passion for a track.

I never minded the song but the nasty feet getting rubbed all over the Edge's face in the video still gives me nightmares like 25 years later.
As a foot fetishist, its just another reason to be all in. Not the Tarantino dirty foot thing, yuck. A nice clean well proportioned foot....the things ive done lol. Finding a woman who gets off on your kink, now thats heaven.

"A remix of "Numb" appeared in the 1995 movie Showgirls." 

Ooooh - can I change my rating now? 
Elizabeth Berkley is worth every second of sitting through the “dialog”. 

Just watching Numb again....oooh boy, love the 2 ladies kissing and licking the Edges face. Then we get the 2 feet just after 3 mins. Then the pretty blonde.

Numb never was sexier. Might give it a 10 spin run before thinking of tomorrows batch. 

Only a few more divisive tracks left before we all starting agreeing. 

:kicksrock:

I'm jealous. My current wife is not a fan. As in when U2 comes on, she turns it off. I don't mean she puts on something else, I mean she turns the music off and says she doesn't want to listen to that noise. She would rather sit in silence on a road trip than have a U2 song come up. I'm not sure she could even name 3 U2 songs. Can be rest assured she doesn't like any of their songs. I think she thinks Bono is full of himself and she doesn't agree on his views on a lot of things. Maybe Bono kicked her dog for no reason when she was a child,
My wife literally hates music. If Im playing something, all i hear is “Turn it down”. I’m the one who told the children to turn it up when they put music on, anything. Music should be loud. She insisted on coming to a U2 concert, a) to spoil me enjoying something and b) to spoil me enjoying something.

Also her shenanigans meant I missed the support slot from Interpol, which I was looking forward to as much as the main act. 

I've been a B-sides hater much of this countdown, but I have Three Sunrises at my #41.  It's really good.  I think Wide Awake in America was the first time I delved into getting a B-sides or whatever from an artist.  I thought it was the #### at the time like I was in some club because I bought a stupid cassette.  Ah the teen years.  
I sort of agree, but it has added a flavor to the countdown. Ultimately the quality isn’t there, despite 3 or 4 B Sides still to come. I mean if we include the No Line on the Horizon album we have to include songs better than it, dont we?

The B Sides always fascinated me as I love a band that puts unique releases there unlike Simple ####### Minds who often do instrumental, dubs or album tracks. Lazy pricks.

My wife literally hates music. If Im playing something, all i hear is “Turn it down”. I’m the one who told the children to turn it up when they put music on, anything. Music should be loud. She insisted on coming to a U2 concert, a) to spoil me enjoying something and b) to spoil me enjoying something.

Also her shenanigans meant I missed the support slot from Interpol, which I was looking forward to as much as the main act. 
I can relate on that Interpol comment, though I can't picture many women liking Interpol. 

My wife is a U2 fan, but she's not really into music that much (not a hater like JML's Footloose SO, but she can give or take music).  The good news for me is that I control the tunes most of the time "Who wants to hear Lemon again?!?"  I've been to see U2 five or six times and the last 3 times we've gone together.  One of those was U2 at Soldier Field with Interpol as the opener.  Of course we got there late too, but I didn't miss their whole set.  Hallelujah.  

This comment will make one ranker angry/disappointed and one happy.

Right now with 76 tracks to go, we have 9 left from Rattle and Hum. By the time we get to 50 that number will be........2

These albums have more top 50 tracks than Rattle and Hum - Pop, Boy, War, UF, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

Songs of experience has 2 top 50 tracks.

All those albums with a top 50 tracks move forward......Not so fast No Line on the Horizon.

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
At first blush, I felt dirty and needed a shower on reading that. But then I looked at my list and noticed I have 3 songs off that album in my Top 100.

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
This comment will make one ranker angry/disappointed and one happy.

Right now with 76 tracks to go, we have 9 left from Rattle and Hum. By the time we get to 50 that number will be........2

These albums have more top 50 tracks than Rattle and Hum - Pop, Boy, War, UF, ATYCLB, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

All those albums with a top 50 tracks move forward......Not so fast No Line on the Horizon.
I’m actually fine with the first comment.  Rattle & Hum is a good album.  I like a lot of the songs — but I don’t LOVE that many.

The second comment?  It’s a bit wild to think that Pop….has more top 50 tracks.  I can’t fathom that.  The rest all deserve to have more than R&H.

More than a bit surprised Songs of Experience has as many top-50 as R&H.  But it’s pretty consistent with what we’ve seen to this point.

Highest Rank - 38

Lowest Rank - 197

Doesn't fit the vibe of UF but is a better song than at least half its tracks. I always got a strong '60s vibe from this one. Got a lot of radio play, at least on the Philly FM rock stations, after it was released on the Wide Awake in America EP. 

#77 - Numb (1993)

Highest Rank - 30

Lowest Rank - 211

Where to Find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -53/218 - The Edge gets another solo outing, writing and performing it, with visits from Bono singing in his “Fat Lady” falsetto. He called it “the sound of the inside of somebody’s head,” an accurate characterization of this almost Kraftwerk-ian composition, which also contains a healthy dose of humor — all of which can be seen in the hilarious video for the song.

Comment - The last track in the middle third of this countdown. Totally different to anything U2 had done before. Took a lot of guts to release this as the first single from Zooropa. As with most of the electronic stuff that U2 does, I am a big fan. Kraftwerk getting a lot more mentions in this than I would have thought. I’m a but disappointed to not be the highest ranker, but one behind is pretty cool lol. As with Lemon this song split the rankers with a 211 being the lowest remaining. We only have one song ranked in the 200s left and it sees the light of day in a few days time. 

Tomorrow, a track from Rattle and Hum and one of the final B Sides
It's very un-U2 but it's executed really well. I always found it pretty fun. Can't fathom why someone would put it at 211. 

At first blush, I felt dirty and needed a shower on reading that. But then I looked at my list and noticed I have 3 songs off that album in my Top 100.

I’m actually fine with the first comment.  Rattle & Hum is a good album.  I like a lot of the songs — but I don’t LOVE that many.

The second comment?  It’s a bit wild to think that Pop….has more top 50 tracks.  I can’t fathom that.  The rest all deserve to have more than R&H.

More than a bit surprised Songs of Experience has as many top-50 as R&H.  But it’s pretty consistent with what we’ve seen to this point.
I rate Songs of Innocence much higher than Experience. The only remaining Innocence song left I have rated 7th or 8th on the album just inside my top 100.  My taste is a bit askew from everyone else. 2 of the top 3 Experience songs I rate high, but the other is mediocre imho. 

#76 - Silver and Gold (1988)

Highest Rank - 31

Lowest Rank - 163

Where to Find it - Rattle and Hum LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -50/218 - When Keith Richards somehow refrains from planting his boot up your ### for confessing that you not only don’t know the blues, you “object to it,” you go home and write this in penance. And then, somehow, Bono managed to charm Ricahrds and Ron Wood into recording the track with him, which appeared on the Sun City album in all its overwrought vocal glory.

U2 recorded it during The Joshua Tree sessions, where it ended up in the outtake pile, even though in many ways it is better than the version that appeared on Sun City. The Sun City version absolutely has its moments (with Keith Richards hitting some very Keith Richards chords), but it is mostly a mess in a “Dylan shows up to Live Aid with Ron Wood and Keith and the three of them make damn fools of themselves” kind of way. The studio version, on the other hand, is compact, taut, focused, and takes no prisoners. The moment when both Larry and Edge explode after the second chorus is priceless, and Bono’s vocals are far more believable now that he’s not trying to imitate a 70-year-old black sharecropper.

Finally, there’s the explosive live version that showed up on Rattle and Hum — except Bono had to offer that sarcastic, “Okay, Edge, play the blues,” which was just fuel to the fire for the critics who didn’t pick up on the sarcasm and thought the band were too full of themselves.

Comment - We enter the top third of our countdown. An interesting story, but its got B side written all over it. Promoted for the Rattle and Hum LP

Next up, the third last B Side we see and it’s a beauty. As an aside, out of the next 8 tracks I have the second highest ranking on 7 of them

#75 - Lady with the Spinning Head (1991)

Highest Rank - 34

Lowest Rank - 139

Where to Find it - B Side to One

Vulture.com ranking and comment -76/218 - This early track was another useful exercise in the process toward Achtung Baby, but ended up being a parts car, with different elements stolen to be part of “The Fly,” “Ultraviolet,” and “Zoo Station.” The art of the B-side is lost in the days of streaming, but in this context, a B-side was a perfect place for this particular track, as it gave the fans a piece of the puzzle to figure out for themselves.

Comment - Interesting. Almost madchester in vibe. This experimentation works well. This was left off Achtung Baby and is better than most of their other 90s stuff? U2 at their creative peak when B Sides like Salome and this one cannot make an album, you are in a good place. I think this would have actually fit well on Achtung Baby with a bit more work and on Zooropa it would have pushed for the better half. We only have three more B Sides left. The top two ranked B Sides I had mistakenly attributed elsewhere, but they are officially B Sides

Next up, Tomorrow we will have consecutive songs from the same album. Both singles and much lower than I would have thought.

As a preview, Representation in the top 50 is as follows:

No Line on the Horizon = 0

Songs of Innocence = 1

Zooropa = 1

B-Sides/ Greatest Hits etc = 2

October = 2

Rattle and Hum = 2

Songs of Experience = 2

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb = 2

Pop = 3

Boy = 3

War = 4

Unforgettable Fire = 4

All that you can’t leave behind = 5

Joshua Tree = 9

Achtung Baby = 10

Highest Rank - 31

Lowest Rank - 163

Vulture.com ranking and comment -50/218 - When Keith Richards somehow refrains from planting his boot up your ### for confessing that you not only don’t know the blues, you “object to it,” you go home and write this in penance. And then, somehow, Bono managed to charm Ricahrds and Ron Wood into recording the track with him, which appeared on the Sun City album in all its overwrought vocal glory.

U2 recorded it during The Joshua Tree sessions, where it ended up in the outtake pile, even though in many ways it is better than the version that appeared on Sun City. The Sun City version absolutely has its moments (with Keith Richards hitting some very Keith Richards chords), but it is mostly a mess in a “Dylan shows up to Live Aid with Ron Wood and Keith and the three of them make damn fools of themselves” kind of way. The studio version, on the other hand, is compact, taut, focused, and takes no prisoners. The moment when both Larry and Edge explode after the second chorus is priceless, and Bono’s vocals are far more believable now that he’s not trying to imitate a 70-year-old black sharecropper.

Finally, there’s the explosive live version that showed up on Rattle and Hum — except Bono had to offer that sarcastic, “Okay, Edge, play the blues,” which was just fuel to the fire for the critics who didn’t pick up on the sarcasm and thought the band were too full of themselves.

Comment - We enter the top third of our countdown. An interesting story, but its got B side written all over it. Promoted for the Rattle and Hum LP

Next up, the third last B Side we see and it’s a beauty. As an aside, out of the next 8 tracks I have the second highest ranking on 7 of them
Always had a love/hate relationship with Rattle and Hum, but Silver and Gold certainly fell in the love column. The song flat out rocks. 

Highest Rank - 31

Lowest Rank - 163

The live version, which is presumably the best-known since it's on Rattle and Hum, is fire. It's one of those songs I would anticipate when it was getting close in the running order. Maybe a top 20 song for me because of that. 

#75 - Lady with the Spinning Head (1991)

Highest Rank - 34

Lowest Rank - 139

Where to Find it - B Side to One

Vulture.com ranking and comment -76/218 - This early track was another useful exercise in the process toward Achtung Baby, but ended up being a parts car, with different elements stolen to be part of “The Fly,” “Ultraviolet,” and “Zoo Station.” The art of the B-side is lost in the days of streaming, but in this context, a B-side was a perfect place for this particular track, as it gave the fans a piece of the puzzle to figure out for themselves.

Comment - Interesting. Almost madchester in vibe. This experimentation works well. This was left off Achtung Baby and is better than most of their other 90s stuff? U2 at their creative peak when B Sides like Salome and this one cannot make an album, you are in a good place. I think this would have actually fit well on Achtung Baby with a bit more work and on Zooropa it would have pushed for the better half. We only have three more B Sides left. The top two ranked B Sides I had mistakenly attributed elsewhere, but they are officially B Sides

Next up, Tomorrow we will have consecutive songs from the same album. Both singles and much lower than I would have thought.
My friend and I always called this "Ultraviolet (Light My Other Way)" -- strong resemblance between this one and that one. Just being strong enough to make Achtung on its own merits says a lot. But I'm OK with it being sacrificed so The Fly, Ultraviolet and Zoo Station could live. 

Lady with the Spinning Head is a fun little tune, but not sure I'd put it this high. 

Silver and Gold is one I always enjoyed, but I find that I rarely revisit it anymore.  

Users who are viewing this thread