What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (1 Viewer)

#139 - A Man and a Woman (2004)

Highest Rank - 97

Lowest Rank - 199

Where to Find it - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 160/218 - “That’s really the wild card on the album,” the Edge said in 2006. He’s not wrong, and it’s not a bad song — it is actually a fascinating, unexpected melody, but it’s kind of an abrupt pause on this particular record.

Comment - Harmless enough. Not in the worst 3 somgs on album. Good album filler

Next up, A very early B Side sits down for a chat
Me at the bottom again. Sounds like another formulaic slow song that pretends to try to build to something with Edge's guitar flurries towards the end but overall has nothing all that distinctive about it.

#137 - The First Time (1993)

Highest Rank - 94

Lowest Rank - 221

Where to Find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 44/218 - Just when you think the record is going to be enjoyable, but not classic, “The First Time” shows up. Bono said he had been listening to a lot of Al Green, and wanted to write a song about faith, or rather, the loss of faith, or the struggle not to lose it. The prodigal son returns home, but it’s not a happy ending. Bono invokes John 14:2 — ”In my father’s house, there are many mansions” — but then says, “But I left by the back door / And I threw away the key.” It’s a quiet but intense song.

Comment - Like a lot of this album, just rushed and sounds like achtung baby leftovers. A funny criticism considering the extensive time put into trying to get Pop and No Line on the Horizon to sound right. The #221 ranking is interesting. We still have 4 tracks that attract a bottom 10 ranking from one of us, with many still in the 200s to come

Next up, one of the more interesting, to some, tracks from Pop.
I checked my ID badge, and it said #221. I don't know which is more noteworthy . . . that I ranked it that low . . . or that Vulture ranked it at 44. I am not a fan of quiet, slow songs from any artist. It also doesn't seem to fit the sound of the rest of the album. Given how I have ranked the songs so far, it's really not so surprising I had this in my Bottom 10. I still have one more Bottom 10 song left.

Miracle Drug is not one I would rate very high, but I return to it often simply because I love the bridge that Edge sings.  That moment when he finishes it and Bono comes back in and explodes into the chorus is amazing. 

#141 - Paint it Black (1991)

Highest Rank - 52

Lowest Rank - 221

Where to Find it - Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses B Side

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not Listed

Comment - A more faithful cover than some of the massacre jobs, but is it adding anything or doing an interesting take? No. The disparity in rankings is interesting. The 221 in particular. I’m somewhere in the middle as it really doesn’t do anything wrong, but it’s not why we tune in to U2. 

Next up, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb gets another track
Solid cover.   It just happens to be a song that nobody should cover, ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
#140 - Miracle Drug (2004)

Highest Rank - 72

Lowest Rank - 168

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 118/218 - The one thing that stops this song from being great is the chorus: “Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby’s head,” which is of course Bono’s favorite line in the song. Also: Sometimes there can be too much backstory to a song, no matter how inspirational it might be.

Comment - Just doesnt move the needle. This sounded a lot better when it came out. Now it sounds more like their newer stuff. Not a good thing. Edges solo lifts it from a lower rating. Interesting that the highest ranking here is the outlier from the rest of us who all have it in the lower middle of rankings. 

Next up, let’s stick with the same album for a back to back Bomb track
The song is solid.  I enjoyed listening to it again.  Vulture is right…….Bono’s favorite lyric is idiotic.

#139 - A Man and a Woman (2004)

Highest Rank - 97

Lowest Rank - 199

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 160/218 - “That’s really the wild card on the album,” the Edge said in 2006. He’s not wrong, and it’s not a bad song — it is actually a fascinating, unexpected melody, but it’s kind of an abrupt pause on this particular record.

Comment - Harmless enough. Not in the worst 3 somgs on album. Good album filler

Next up, A very early B Side sits down for a chat
I enjoy this song, which as y’all can guess at this point isn’t something I say a lot about U2 songs post-2001.  Not special but the sound is good, and the lyrics/singing actually fit the rest of the music.

#138 - Touch (1980)

Highest Rank - 110

Lowest Rank - 169

Where to Find it - B Side to 11 O’clock Tick Tock,

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 148/218 - A perfectly acceptable B-side to “11 O’clock Tick Tock,” brisk and peppy, very much in tune with where U2 had decided they were going. But it’s simply not very memorable lyrically or instrumentally, Bono scatting about “touching you,” and the Edge trying to see how few notes he could play and, you know, still call it a song.

Comment - Opening is straight up punk. Bono doesn’t know what he is doing just yet. An Interesting time capsule. At least it tries. Good early effort. An interesting statistical note. You can tell we are getting to the better songs as this is the second last track that doesn’t have a top 100 ranking from at least one of us. The last one is at #132 and its a reasonably well known track. 

Next up, we return to Zooropa
Huge fan.   I didn’t own any singles, this didn’t get to hear b-sides until Mrs APK and I started buying live albums (at a place called B-Sides in Madison WI).  One of the live albums had this song, and like most of the Boy era I liked it immediately.  Raw.  Angsty.  The live version we have is better.

#137 - The First Time (1993)

Highest Rank - 94

Lowest Rank - 221

Where to Find it - Zooropa LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 44/218 - Just when you think the record is going to be enjoyable, but not classic, “The First Time” shows up. Bono said he had been listening to a lot of Al Green, and wanted to write a song about faith, or rather, the loss of faith, or the struggle not to lose it. The prodigal son returns home, but it’s not a happy ending. Bono invokes John 14:2 — ”In my father’s house, there are many mansions” — but then says, “But I left by the back door / And I threw away the key.” It’s a quiet but intense song.

Comment - Like a lot of this album, just rushed and sounds like achtung baby leftovers. A funny criticism considering the extensive time put into trying to get Pop and No Line on the Horizon to sound right. The #221 ranking is interesting. We still have 4 tracks that attract a bottom 10 ranking from one of us, with many still in the 200s to come

Next up, one of the more interesting, to some, tracks from Pop.
Love the sound.   Hate the lyrics.  Still a solid listen.

#136 - Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 170

Where to Find it - Pop LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 42/218 - Instead of ending this record with a hymn, U2 ends it with a prayer. Contextually, if you follow the arc of the album, this is literally the only place they could have arrived at, praying for guidance in the blackness and desperation. The key to the song are the two ringing guitar chords in the chorus, which are a reveille calling out to God and to the disciple who’s lost faith.

Comment - At least this song has direction and a story to tell unlike a lot on the pop album. I am the highest ranker, by far, with the other 3 almost 100 behind. I maybe put it a little high, but i would still be comfortable having this in my top 75. 

Next up, another B Side. This i am the outlier in the opposite direction. 
I’d be closer to 170 than 58.  But it’s a very different sound for them, and maybe one of the only decent songs on Pop.

In hindsight, I probably ranked it too high . . . but I like it better than the Stones version. More energy, more frenetic, more rocking. That being said, it does seem like a song U2 didn't really need to record . . . and in that time period they wre busy writing a plethora of their own songs.
Wow

In hindsight, I probably ranked it too high . . . but I like it better than the Stones version. More energy, more frenetic, more rocking. That being said, it does seem like a song U2 didn't really need to record . . . and in that time period they wre busy writing a plethora of their own songs.
I had it at 221. As meatloaf would say 'this is a ####ing terrible cover and should never have been recorded'. 

See - wasnt that fun? 

I had it at 221. As meatloaf would say 'this is a ####ing terrible cover and should never have been recorded'. 

See - wasnt that fun? 
It's all good. We all like different things. I am not a huge Stones fan, so to me it's not sacrilegious to like someone else's version of a song.

It's all good. We all like different things. I am not a huge Stones fan, so to me it's not sacrilegious to like someone else's version of a song.
slap it high.  all good with me as well. 

You'll see in time that I do like some of the U2 covers.  Part of my reaction of this was given homework to rate these B-sides and covers in a short amount of time.  I tried to be open minded but seeing "Paint It Black" as an assignment was like being asked to review the "Point Break" remake... I'm sure there are good moments, but the world didn't really need a new version of it.  

With a fresh set of ears; it's fine and probably not the worst thing U2 has recorded.  It's a more muted version of the original but not an innovative take.  I'd probably put it in the 180s.    

slap it high.  all good with me as well. 

You'll see in time that I do like some of the U2 covers.  Part of my reaction of this was given homework to rate these B-sides and covers in a short amount of time.  I tried to be open minded but seeing "Paint It Black" as an assignment was like being asked to review the "Point Break" remake... I'm sure there are good moments, but the world didn't really need a new version of it.  

With a fresh set of ears; it's fine and probably not the worst thing U2 has recorded.  It's a more muted version of the original but not an innovative take.  I'd probably put it in the 180s.    
The cover of Paint it Black was way easier to ingest than the remake of Point Break! ;)

#143 - Drowning Man (1983)

Highest Rank - 90

Lowest Rank - 176

Where to Find it - War LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 70/218 - It’s not the best song on the record — to be fair, there is a fair amount of competition — but it is both ambitious and fully realized. Every single member of the band turns in a stunning performance, the instrumentation providing both delicate shade and solid counterpoint, the vocals raw and impassioned, and the lyrics grounded in adoration of both spiritual and physical. Extra credit to Steve Wickham’s violin and Edge’s almost Spanish-guitar flourishes toward the end of the song. Ethereal.

Comment - Vocals, music and production arent talking to each other here

Next up, All the way back to Boy
Forgot to post this when we talked about this song. I found this version / creation to be pretty interesting and a good listen . . .

Bono / Madeline Iris - Drowning Man

Me at the bottom again. Sounds like another formulaic slow song that pretends to try to build to something with Edge's guitar flurries towards the end but overall has nothing all that distinctive about it.
I really like a Man and a Woman. I think the verse and pre-chorus are outstanding and then the chorus misses a bit. Still, I thought this was a standout song on that album release. 

#141 - Paint it Black (1991)

Comment - A more faithful cover than some of the massacre jobs, but is it adding anything or doing an interesting take? No. The disparity in rankings is interesting. The 221 in particular. I’m somewhere in the middle as it really doesn’t do anything wrong, but it’s not why we tune in to U2. 
Exactly this. As with Fortunate Son, it's not terrible but doesn't have a reason to exist. Why there is such a disparity between where this one lands vs. that one, I have no idea. 

#138 - Touch (1980)

Comment - Opening is straight up punk. Bono doesn’t know what he is doing just yet. An Interesting time capsule. At least it tries. Good early effort. An interesting statistical note. You can tell we are getting to the better songs as this is the second last track that doesn’t have a top 100 ranking from at least one of us. The last one is at #132 and its a reasonably well known track. 
As with some of the Boy tracks I've commented upon, this is perfectly good post-punk. If it was an Echo and the Bunnymen song or something like that, no one would bat an eye. 

#136 - Wake Up Dead Man (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 170

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 42/218 - Instead of ending this record with a hymn, U2 ends it with a prayer. Contextually, if you follow the arc of the album, this is literally the only place they could have arrived at, praying for guidance in the blackness and desperation. The key to the song are the two ringing guitar chords in the chorus, which are a reveille calling out to God and to the disciple who’s lost faith.

Comment - At least this song has direction and a story to tell unlike a lot on the pop album. I am the highest ranker, by far, with the other 3 almost 100 behind. I maybe put it a little high, but i would still be comfortable having this in my top 75. 

Next up, another B Side. This i am the outlier in the opposite direction. 
LOVE this. Probably top 50 overall and top 3 on the Pop album for me. It's one of their very best religion songs and pulls off the tough feat of being intense and calming at the same time.  

#140 - Miracle Drug (2004)      Highest - 72     Lowest - 168
Vulture - 118/218 - The 1 thing that stops this song from being great is the chorus: “Freedom has a scent / Like the top of a newborn baby’s head,” which is of course Bono’s favorite line in the song. Also: Sometimes there can be too much backstory to a song, no matter how inspirational it might be

Comment - Just doesn't move the needle. This sounded a lot better when it came out. Now it sounds more like their newer stuff. Not a good thing. Edges solo lifts it from a lower rating. Interesting that the highest ranking here is the outlier from the rest of us who all have it in the lower middle of rankings. 
Songfact:
The song 'was written about Christopher Nolan who was a pupil at Mount Temple (as the band was leaving) who was paraplegic after being temporarily deprived of oxygen for ~2 hrs at birth. However, his mother believed that he could understand the world around him & home-schooled him for yrs. Eventually a drug was discovered that allowed him some movement in his neck, after which he began writing poems w a 'unicorn' device attached to his forehead. In Bono's words, "he put out a collection called Dam-Burst of Dreams, which won a load of awards & he went off to university & became a genius. All because of a mother's love & a medical breakthrough." 'Miracle Drug' is a tribute to the medical teams who made his treatment possible & the way God worked through them to help him overcome his disability.  Bono explains before a live performance

On this day Oct 27:

1988: The Rattle and Hum (the film) has its world premiere.

2021 (today!):  Announced that for the Sing 2 movie

• “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” will be performed by Scarlett Johannson in the film
  • Bono appears in a speaking / singing role as Clay Calloway, a retired rock star (a lion) in English versions of the film.

More U2 tidbits:

• Bono originally headed to University College Dublin for an arts degree. However, Bono was forced to withdraw after a few weeks when the school realized he had failed Irish & therefore did not meet its entrance requirements. 

• Before U2 met Paul McGuinness, Adam took up the role of temporary manager as well as bassist, booking shows & representing the band in early negotiations w CBS Ireland. He even tried to stir up a bit of buzz about the band by placing fake 'fan messages' in the local music press in the hope that it would stimulate interest & increase the band's profile.   Bono has credited Adam w being the driving force that got the band off the ground in the early days, as his dedication & determination to succeed spurred them all on to make a success of it.

• Bono & Adam are particularly good friends, to the extent that the U2 frontman asked Adam to be his best man when he got married to Alison Stewart in 1982.

• Al Kooper's memoir tells the story of how Kooper 1st heard U2 in 1979. While visiting England (& employed as producer for Epic Records), Kooper took in a show at the Marquee Club to see The Photos. He wasn't too impressed, but the opening act, "an Irish band," blew him away & as soon as their set was over, Kooper met the band backstage to ask if they'd signed with a label yet. They had - to Island Records. Al Kooper, the prodigy who discovered Lynryd Skynyrd, just missed being the first to discover U2!

• The child on the cover of Boy is 7 yr-old Peter Rowan, a nephew of a friend of the band. For the American release, the album's cover image was changed, due to Island Records' fears that it could be perceived as pedophilic & used a black-&-white photo of the band.   Two albums later, Rowan was used again for the cover of War.

• For the recording of the song "40", Adam & the Edge switched instruments.

• On the songs "City of Blinding Lights" and "Iris (Hold Me Close)", it is Adam playing the keyboards.

More U2 tidbits:

• Bono originally headed to University College Dublin for an arts degree. However, Bono was forced to withdraw after a few weeks when the school realized he had failed Irish & therefore did not meet its entrance requirements. 

• Before U2 met Paul McGuinness, Adam took up the role of temporary manager as well as bassist, booking shows & representing the band in early negotiations w CBS Ireland. He even tried to stir up a bit of buzz about the band by placing fake 'fan messages' in the local music press in the hope that it would stimulate interest & increase the band's profile.   Bono has credited Adam w being the driving force that got the band off the ground in the early days, as his dedication & determination to succeed spurred them all on to make a success of it.

• Bono & Adam are particularly good friends, to the extent that the U2 frontman asked Adam to be his best man when he got married to Alison Stewart in 1982.

• Al Kooper's memoir tells the story of how Kooper 1st heard U2 in 1979. While visiting England (& employed as producer for Epic Records), Kooper took in a show at the Marquee Club to see The Photos. He wasn't too impressed, but the opening act, "an Irish band," blew him away & as soon as their set was over, Kooper met the band backstage to ask if they'd signed with a label yet. They had - to Island Records. Al Kooper, the prodigy who discovered Lynryd Skynyrd, just missed being the first to discover U2!

• The child on the cover of Boy is 7 yr-old Peter Rowan, a nephew of a friend of the band. For the American release, the album's cover image was changed, due to Island Records' fears that it could be perceived as pedophilic & used a black-&-white photo of the band.   Two albums later, Rowan was used again for the cover of War.

• For the recording of the song "40", Adam & the Edge switched instruments.

• On the songs "City of Blinding Lights" and "Iris (Hold Me Close)", it is Adam playing the keyboards.
Love these facts and information. Keep it coming

I really like a Man and a Woman. I think the verse and pre-chorus are outstanding and then the chorus misses a bit. Still, I thought this was a standout song on that album release. 
Welcome to the commentary. Will be interested in what era U2 you prefer and if have listened to the last 3 albums

I don’t think any song is sacrilegious. If its done right and offers something new.

Huge fan.   I didn’t own any singles, this didn’t get to hear b-sides until Mrs APK and I started buying live albums (at a place called B-Sides in Madison WI).  One of the live albums had this song, and like most of the Boy era I liked it immediately.  Raw.  Angsty.  The live version we have is better.
Bootleg i assume. Is it on vinyl, cassette or CD? 

Miracle Drug is not one I would rate very high, but I return to it often simply because I love the bridge that Edge sings.  That moment when he finishes it and Bono comes back in and explodes into the chorus is amazing. 
Even on most U2 songs that are average or even poor, there is usually something interesting happening. Ive been listening heavily to a song we havent got to yet that has some wonderful Mullen and Edge work, but doesnt work well as a song. 

#135 - Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of milk (1991)

Highest Rank - 68

Lowest Rank - 203

Where to Find it - The Fly B Side

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 175/218 - Written upon request for a theatrical production of A Clockwork Orange, the director was advised by Edge that while he might want a hit musical, “We warned him we weren’t very good with hits.” On the other hand, if you view this Berlin gothic-pop instrumental through the lens it was created for, it fits pretty damn well. It ended up as the B-side to “The Fly,” a good home for it.

Comment - I am the outlier here. I do not get this song. I am much more in line with Vulture here. I don’t think its worth a b side. Let’s hear why it is good from others.

Next up, another single from Pop that divides opinion.

#134 - Please (1997)

Highest Rank - 23

Lowest Rank - 204

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 110/218 - The genius of “Please” is in the last two verses, where the beats pause and the vocals gently layer — like a friend putting a hand on your shoulder and looking you in the eye in an attempt to get you to be honest with yourself. The remainder of the song feels light years away from the first half, and maybe that’s meant to be intentional. The cool detachment of the early verses open up to an impassioned pleading. It’s going to sound like a broken record to state that, like almost everything on Pop, no one in U2 thinks this track was finished.

Comment - After the 3 previous songs on the album, this sounds like With or Without you. In reality its a nice enough song, more album track than single, but a rare album highlight. This one sharply divided us with two rankings around the 200 area, one at 23 and I am sitting in the middle at 105

Next up, My biggest regret in rankings doing this. A song from Songs of Innocence

#133 - Raised by Wolves (2014)

Highest Rank - 39

Lowest Rank - 222

Where to Find it - Songs of Innocence LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 79/218 - A story of the Dublin and Monaghan car bombings in 1974, “Raised by Wolves” is a collection of sharp, cinematic scenes, every word carefully chosen, yet offering a wealth of astonishing, heartbreaking detail; the specificity brings you into the scene so that you’re looking at it from the same perspective as Bono. You won’t realize that, until the chorus arrives and you are there with him in his sorrow and rage: “Raised by wolves / Stronger than fear” is the anguished cry. It was a phenomenal piece of stagecraft on the Innocence and Experience tour, segueing in from “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” which wasn’t so much obvious as necessary.

Comment - This is another well produced and well thought out song. I rated it at 39. Way too high in hindsight. There was something i really liked, but upon relistening to the track over and over again I cannot hear it. On a good day now, I would barely have it inside my top 100

Next up, we return to October

Love these facts and information. Keep it coming
Thanks (tips hat).    And A Big Kudos⭐ right back at you for being "our pilot" on this journey thru time & song (& memories)

I'm a big U2 fan & started noticing them during War album......but I was really hooked when I was travelling overseas & a friend let me borrow his "Under a Blood Red Sky" cassette & I got to listen to some of their other stuff.  (I wore that cassette out.) In the early & late 90's.... I graduated college, got married, & started having kids at a time that U2 was moving away from their previous album sound.  When Pop & Zooropa came out, I wouldn't say that I "divorced" U2 because of it, but you could say that I had other things that I was focused on & was hoping U2 would continue releasing more albums in the future.  I know there are a couple of gems on Pop & Zooropa, but after hearing the lesser known songs again on those albums recently in this countdown, my opinion hasn't waivered or improved.

With that said, it's been quite busy to keep up w 3 songs posted a day & listen & grab songfacts & compile tidbits to post later.  @John Maddens LunchboxI assume at some point, you will transition to 2/day & then 1/day?   (to give the more time for posting about the well known songs) 

And actually, I've got several more PAGES of info already saved & ready to post, but I don't want to hi-jack or overwhelm the crowd here with too much info at any 1 time.   (But if I'm being honest, I was hoping the info would spark some more side discussions than i've seen so far.)   

I'm trying to focus on things that might have gotten overlooked & stay away from the obvious info that most U2 fans already know.    Some hints at the info I have coming soon:

• I'll post the background info of one of the bandmembers whose birthday is upcoming & show that he had a tragic upbringing
  •  I already posted about Edge's 1st marriage & divorce.....this time, I'll post about the person who has been in his life since then & I think you'll be surprised at some of things i found & how many times you've seen her w/o even knowing.  ( at least, I was surprised)
  • I'll post about one of the most famous videos of U2 & why it was rejected :eek:  & had to be re-shot.
  • I'll post about some of U2's financial dealings (spoiler alert:  They've made a lot of $....They've spent a lot of $)
  • I'll post about some of U2's accolades.......some of their failures/mis-steps
Am I buggin' you?           I don't mean to bug ya................ Ok, Edge play the blues 🎵🎸.🎸

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are starting to get juicy! IMO, Miracle Drug, A Man & A Woman, Wake Up Dead Man and Please are all big winners. Wouldn't skip any of them, all relatable, and all sing-along worthy, which is something I just made up. 

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
#135 - Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of milk (1991)  Highest - 68   Lowest - 203
Where to Find it - The Fly B Side
Vulture - 175/218 - Written upon request for a theatrical production of A Clockwork Orange, the director was advised by Edge that while he might want a hit musical, “We warned him we weren’t very good with hits.” On the other hand, if you view this Berlin gothic-pop instrumental through the lens it was created for, it fits pretty damn well. It ended up as the B-side to “The Fly,” a good home for it

Comment - I am the outlier here. I do not get this song. I am much more in line with Vulture here. I don’t think its worth a b side. Let’s hear why it is good from others.
ALEX DESCENDS: 
A mostly instrumental song that complements 'The Fly'  (a song which Bono said was a 'phone call from hell").....but it uses the following Latin lyrics:
Dies irae, dies illa
Dies irae, dies illa
Tuba mirum spargens sonum
Decet in inferno
Dies illa, dies illa

The English translation of the Latin lyrics:
A day of wrath, that day
A day of wrath, that day
The trumpet's wondrous call sounding abroad
He descended into hell
A day of wrath, that day

This song was the only part of the Clockwork Orange score which was officially released. The author of the original book, Anthony Burgess, was reportedly very unsatisfied w the soundtrack. This song was also featured on the soundtrack to the 1995 movie Johnny Mnemonic (starring Keanu Reeves).

For me, I had never heard this song & I actually liked it.......but l wish they would have continued to work this into something greater as I think Edge had something promising & building with this one.

ALEX DESCENDS: 
A mostly instrumental song that complements 'The Fly'  (a song which Bono said was a 'phone call from hell").....but it uses the following Latin lyrics:
Dies irae, dies illa
Dies irae, dies illa
Tuba mirum spargens sonum
Decet in inferno
Dies illa, dies illa

The English translation of the Latin lyrics:
A day of wrath, that day
A day of wrath, that day
The trumpet's wondrous call sounding abroad
He descended into hell
A day of wrath, that day

This song was the only part of the Clockwork Orange score which was officially released. The author of the original book, Anthony Burgess, was reportedly very unsatisfied w the soundtrack. This song was also featured on the soundtrack to the 1995 movie Johnny Mnemonic (starring Keanu Reeves).

For me, I had never heard this song & I actually liked it.......but l wish they would have continued to work this into something greater as I think Edge had something promising & building with this one.

The words are either from a poem (Dies Irae - Day of Wrath) or from Verdi’s Requiem.   I’m too lazy to look it up and I don’t speak Latin — but I did sing Verdi’s Requiem in a college choir and the words are familiar.

I like this song but also can’t take most purely instrumental songs seriously.   Still, it’s better than a lot of their later work.

#134 - Please (1997)

Highest Rank - 23

Lowest Rank - 204

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 110/218 - The genius of “Please” is in the last two verses, where the beats pause and the vocals gently layer — like a friend putting a hand on your shoulder and looking you in the eye in an attempt to get you to be honest with yourself. The remainder of the song feels light years away from the first half, and maybe that’s meant to be intentional. The cool detachment of the early verses open up to an impassioned pleading. It’s going to sound like a broken record to state that, like almost everything on Pop, no one in U2 thinks this track was finished.

Comment - After the 3 previous songs on the album, this sounds like With or Without you. In reality its a nice enough song, more album track than single, but a rare album highlight. This one sharply divided us with two rankings around the 200 area, one at 23 and I am sitting in the middle at 105

Next up, My biggest regret in rankings doing this. A song from Songs of Innocence
One of the better songs on Pop.  I’d be closer to you than the other rankings, but definitely nowhere near 23.

it feels like a song that should have been better.  Oh, and the video looks like it was filmed by high school kids over a weekend as a film class project.

#133 - Raised by Wolves (2014)

Highest Rank - 39

Lowest Rank - 222

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 79/218 - A story of the Dublin and Monaghan car bombings in 1974, “Raised by Wolves” is a collection of sharp, cinematic scenes, every word carefully chosen, yet offering a wealth of astonishing, heartbreaking detail; the specificity brings you into the scene so that you’re looking at it from the same perspective as Bono. You won’t realize that, until the chorus arrives and you are there with him in his sorrow and rage: “Raised by wolves / Stronger than fear” is the anguished cry. It was a phenomenal piece of stagecraft on the Innocence and Experience tour, segueing in from “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” which wasn’t so much obvious as necessary.

Comment - This is another well produced and well thought out song. I rated it at 39. Way too high in hindsight. There was something i really liked, but upon relistening to the track over and over again I cannot hear it. On a good day now, I would barely have it inside my top 100

Next up, we return to October
It’s fine.   Knowing the context/meaning of the song makes me like it more.  Solid song.

#134 - Please (1997)   Highest - 23          Lowest - 204     Where to Find it - Pop LP
Vulture - 110/218 -The remainder of the song feels light years away from the 1st half, & maybe that’s meant to be intentional. The cool detachment of the early verses open up to an impassioned pleading. It’s going to sound like a broken record to state that, like almost everything on Pop, no one in U2 thinks this track was finished

Comment - After the 3 previous songs on the album, this sounds like With or Without you. In reality its a nice enough song, more album track than single, but a rare album highlight. This 1 sharply divided us with 2 rankings around the 200 area, one at 23 & I am sitting in the middle at 105
Yes, i'd like to hear the argument for ranking it #23 too.

Songfact:
14 yrs after “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” U2 released their 2nd single to address the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland. (the 3rd time was the song "The Troubles")   As the song slowly builds, Bono paints the picture, coloring the world in terms of religion & war colliding to the point where bombs are left in cars. 

The iconic photo for the single features the pictures of 4 Northern Irish politicians — Gerry Adams, David Trimble, Ian Paisley, & John Hume.  It was a direct message for them to ‘get up of their knees’ & hasten the peace process which was grinding along slowly......while some of Bono's lyrics paint the picture:
             Your Catholic blues, your convent shoes
             Your stick-on tattoos, now they're making the news
             Your holy war, your northern star
             Your sermon on the mount from the boot of your car

September, streets capsizing
              Spilling over down the drains
              Shards of glass, splinters like rain
              But you could only feel your own pain

October, talk getting nowhere
              November…December…remember
              Are we just starting again?

Bono also cleverly entwines the songs meaning to be ‘about a girl’ – so much so that if you aren’t paying clear attention to his words, you could be duped into thinking the song is simply a love song about an explosive relationship. 

On the origin of the music:   Producer Howie B, who Mullen called U2’s “disco guru,” had taken the band to dance clubs to help usher in their electronica experiment Pop. For “Please,” he played them a beat rooted in a loop of Mullen’s drums from the sessions for another Pop tune, “If God Will Send His Angels.”    Bono constructed a melody, & the song promptly fell into place. “Once the band got it, boom,” said Howie B. Bono called it “a mad prayer of a tune.”   

Bono recorded his vocals in one take.

#133 - Raised by Wolves (2014)   Highest - 39       Lowest - 222
Vulture - 79/218 - A story of the Dublin & Monaghan car bombings in 1974, is a collection of sharp, cinematic scenes, every word carefully chosen, yet offering a wealth of astonishing, heartbreaking detail;  “Raised by wolves / Stronger than fear” is the anguished cry. It was a phenomenal piece of stagecraft on the Innocence and Experience tour

Comment - This is another well produced & well thought out song. I rated it at 39. Way too high in hindsight. There was something i really liked, but upon relistening to the track over & over again I cannot hear it. On a good day now, I would barely have it inside my top 100
Songfact:
Raised by Wolves is a recounting of 3 car bombs in Ireland that that killed 33 people & Bono witnessed. 
"It was a real incident that happened in our country where 3 car bombs were set to go off at the same time in Dublin on a Friday night, 5:30," Bono recalled, "On any other Friday I would have been at this record shop, just down the corner, but I cycled to school that day."  

"The bomb tore apart the street," he continued. "I escaped but 1 of my mates was around the corner w his father, & it was a very hard thing for him to witness and I'm not sure he really got over it."

some of the Lyrics
           Face down on a broken street
           There’s a man in the corner in a pool of misery
            I’m in a white van as a red sea covers the ground
           Metal crash I can’t tell what it is
           But I take a look, and now I’m sorry I did
           5:30 on a Friday night, 33 good people cut down

Boy sees his father crushed under the weight
           Of a cross of passion where the passion is hate
           Blue mink Ford I’m gonna detonate and you’re dead
           Blood in the house, blood on the street
           The worst things in the world are justified by belief
           Registration 1385-WZ         (<--registration plate of the blue Ford Escort used in the bombings)

Vulture's comment of:  "It was a phenomenal piece of stagecraft on the Innocence & Experience tour".  
This video might help explain this comment

It’s fine.   Knowing the context/meaning of the song makes me like it more.  Solid song.
Agreed.

Nemesis said:
Thanks (tips hat).    And A Big Kudos⭐ right back at you for being "our pilot" on this journey thru time & song (& memories)

With that said, it's been quite busy to keep up w 3 songs posted a day & listen & grab songfacts & compile tidbits to post later.  @John Maddens LunchboxI assume at some point, you will transition to 2/day & then 1/day?   (to give the more time for posting about the well known songs) 

And actually, I've got several more PAGES of info already saved & ready to post, but I don't want to hi-jack or overwhelm the crowd here with too much info at any 1 time.   (But if I'm being honest, I was hoping the info would spark some more side discussions than i've seen so far.)   

I'm trying to focus on things that might have gotten overlooked & stay away from the obvious info that most U2 fans already know.    🎸
Thanks. Love the info.

When we get into the more well known songs we might score more foot traffic. Right now we are going through album tracks on the less popular albums or poorly regarded singles. Only the fans for now.

I hadn’t thought about the pacing of this. I will do 4 next to celebrate us getting to the 100th song on the list. Will do 3 at a time until 100 to go. After that I might drop it to 2 until 50 and then 1 a day for the final 50. That is a timeline of approx 85 more days lol

Grace Under Pressure said:
Things are starting to get juicy! IMO, Miracle Drug, A Man & A Woman, Wake Up Dead Man and Please are all big winners. Wouldn't skip any of them, all relatable, and all sing-along worthy, which is something I just made up. 
Yeah we will get to some real good stuff soon, if we havent already. I think ive had 3 or 4 of my top 50.

Next four songs are from the following years, in order, 1981, 2017, 2000 and 2000. One may be a surprise. 

In the next 25 songs we have 5 songs that were a single in some form or another. 

While I like the somewhat chaotic sound of Pop, Please is one song that would have been benefited by a different production and mix;  It was much better on the PopMart live DVD.  Very good tune.  I love Wake Up Dead Man as well (just realized I did not comment on that one when it was featured). 

I liked Raised by Wolves a lot at first, but it wore off me a little.  I still like it, but I cannot say that I love it. 

While I like the somewhat chaotic sound of Pop, Please is one song that would have been benefited by a different production and mix;  It was much better on the PopMart live DVD.  Very good tune.  I love Wake Up Dead Man as well (just realized I did not comment on that one when it was featured). 

I liked Raised by Wolves a lot at first, but it wore off me a little.  I still like it, but I cannot say that I love it. 
Same here. When i did the rankings I really liked it a lot. Since, not so much. I think there are lots of mixes of songs from Pop and NLOTH, but imagine the even worse ones trying to a find a better one than was released. 

Another statistical note. We only have 38 songs that all four of us have inside the top 100. We will not see the first one until #55. 

The highest ranked song which one of us has outside the top 100 is the 20th ranked song.

#134 - Please (1997)

Highest Rank - 23

Lowest Rank - 204

I've mentioned before that Pop tracks are polarizing.  I had this at 204 - it's just not my kind of song; a little too jarring without a steady rhythm or melody.  No qualms about anybody having it ranked high - I can recognize that this is a little different for U2 and I do appreciate breaking out of the cookie cutter.  

#134 - Please (1997)

This song is a case of missed potential. Excellent lyrics with music that doesn't serve them well or stand out much in any way. 

Same here. When i did the rankings I really liked it a lot. Since, not so much. I think there are lots of mixes of songs from Pop and NLOTH, but imagine the even worse ones trying to a find a better one than was released. 

Another statistical note. We only have 38 songs that all four of us have inside the top 100. We will not see the first one until #55. 

The highest ranked song which one of us has outside the top 100 is the 20th ranked song.
All of my Top 50 songs are still pending (which seems odd).

All of my Top 50 songs are still pending (which seems odd).
I wasnt sure who’s was who’s where i mainly look....deliberately. Guess i just figured out your column lol. 

We won’t see your first one until #115. By then one of the rankers will have seen 3 top 50 entries, another four and i will have had 5 (4 off the last 2 albums and the Saints are Coming)

#132 - I threw a Brick through a window (1981)

Highest Rank - 104

Lowest Rank - 154

Where to Find it - October LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 58/218 - The difference between the album version and the live version of this track is dramatic. On record, it’s interesting rhythmically, but feels lugubrious and stiff. This isn’t surprising when you learn that Larry Mullen could not get through the tempo and came back one day to find that the Edge had overdubbed the drums. But live, this track is electric and cathartic, U2 building a sonic space that others would later try to duplicate but never succeed in doing. And, more importantly, the freedom of the expanded space makes it easier to instinctively understand what story Bono was trying to tell — because that’s exactly what the song is about, an action that creates space where there was none before. It’s the story of punk rock. “I THREW A BRICK! I THREW A BRICK!” Bono would cry out back in the day, and the hair would stand up on the back of your neck.

Comment - Standard early album filler. For some reason I am the top ranking. This is the last track which dies not attract a top 100 ranking from at least one of us.

Next up, The 9th track we see from Songs of Experience. Not many left now. In fact 4.

#131 - 13 (There is a Light) (2017)

Highest Rank - 50

Lowest Rank - 198

Where to Find it - Songs of Experience LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not listed

Comment - May as well be a lullaby. I don’t get this one. I am again the lowest rank. I definitely am not in tune with the others on most tracks on the last two albums. Ones i love, they dont and vice versa. That will change later lol

Next up, All that you can’t leave behind racks up its 3rd mention

#130 - Grace (2000)

Highest Rank - 62

Lowest Rank - 204

Where to Find it - All that you can’t leave behind LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 156/218 - “Hey, how about we end the record with another hymn, like we always do?”

Comment - Sleepy time. This album really doesnt have a dud track. Doesnt have much brilliance, but a good complete work

Next up, Beautiful Day. Bit early I think. Well it’s not really, but it is. This will be the 100th song we have ranked.

Users who are viewing this thread