What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Tyler Conklin, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Minnesota Vikings tight end Irv Smith Jr. to miss start of 2021 NFL season due to meniscus injury

Excerpts:

Tyler Conklin is now draftable in all formats: The fourth-year tight end has also been battling injury — a hamstring pull has kept him out of the preseason.

For now, it might be best to avoid the Vikings tight ends: Instead, bump up target hogs Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, who should see as high a percentage of targets as any receiver combination in the NFL.

Last edited:
Tyler Conklin caught all four of his targets for 41 yards in the Vikings' Week 1 loss to the Bengals. 

Conklin got the start over Chris Herndon, who joined the team less than two weeks ago. Primarily a blocker, Conklin moved well in space and could hold off Herndon for receiving snaps if he keeps playing well. His biggest hurdle for targets could be K.J. Osborn. The third receiver for Minnesota saw nine looks in the passing game. Conklin is a deep TE2 option for the Vikings' Week 2 matchup against Arizona.

Tyler Conklin caught 7-of-8 targets for 70 yards and a touchdown in the Vikings' Week 3 win over the Seahawks.

Conklin was a consistent part of the Viking's short and intermediate passing in this game after turning in a pair of four-target games to open the year. His bump in targets appears to have been directly correlated with K.J. Osborn's lack of usage. Osborn was targeted just twice. The two could trade off usable weeks but picking which one will operate as the third target in the offense will be a weekly nightmare. Conklin is nothing more than a TE2 versus the Browns next week.

Sep 26, 2021, 9:34 PM ET

Thread needs a title change to note new team.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Every NFL team's most impressive player in training camp

New York Jets: TE Tyler Conklin​

One pleasant surprise thus far in camp has TE Tyler Conklin. Coming off his best season of his career last season with the Minnesota Vikings, Conklin has quickly built a strong connection in camp with QB Zach Wilson. Wilson, of course, is injured, but the latest he should be back should be Week 2 against the Cleveland Browns. So Conklin will be catching passes from Joe Flacco for the time being. But the early look is that Conklin will be a favorite red-zone target for the Jets’ offense. He may quietly have yet another career year in his first season with the Jets. —

Conklin was surprisingly good for us last year. I was shocked they let him go. I don't believe in Irv Smith. He's shown literally nothing.

Conklin was surprisingly good for us last year. I was shocked they let him go. I don't believe in Irv Smith. He's shown literally nothing.
Smith was buried as a rookie and missed his entire second season - when could he have shown anything?
Thanks for confirming my point. He's shown LITERALLY nothing.
So you don’t believe in him because he was behind two solid professionals as a rookie and then got hurt in training camp before his second season? Seems like solid analysis.

Last season he was expected to start over Conklin.

The Athletic's Zach Rosenblatt reports TE Tyler Conklin has been a favorite target of both Zach Wilson and Joe Flacco.​

Rosenblatt said Conklin has appeared "athletic and sure-handed and is good enough as a blocker that the Jets will have a hard time taking him off the field." Jets head coach Robert Saleh said in early August that Conklin was "awesome" in the early days of training camp, dominating underneath targets in New York's offense. Conklin, unfortunately nicknamed "Conk Daddy" by Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty, caught 61 of his 87 targets last year in Minnesota for 593 yards and three touchdowns. He'll be a popular streaming option in favorable matchups in 2022.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 23, 2022, 11:30 AM ET

Tyler Conklin caught 4-of-7 targets for 14 yards and a touchdown in the Jets' Week 1 loss to the Ravens.

Conklin salvaged an otherwise forgettable day with a garbage time touchdown grab from Joe Flacco. A standout in Jets training camp, Conklin should suffice as a reliable underneath target for Flacco -- and eventually Zach Wilson. Lots of negative game script for the down-bad Jets could generate a surprising number of targets for Conklin this season. The team's nightmarish quarterback situation might make that meaningless.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Tyler Conklin caught 8-of-8 targets for 84 yards in the Jets' Week 3 loss against the Bengals.​

Despite the high number of targets, Conklin was only fourth in that category for the Jets with Joe Flacco throwing 52 times. Still, Conklin turned it into a pretty solid day and continues to see a decent amount of targets. It remains to be seen whether or not he'll be able to keep this up when Zach Wilson returns, but seeing at least seven targets in each game thus far may put him on a bigger radar.
Sep 25, 2022, 6:34 PM ET

Tyler Conklin caught 1-of-2 targets for 16 yards in the Jets’ Week 6 win over the Packers.

Now splitting time with C.J. Uzomah, you’re free to drop Conklin. Passing volume for the Jets has gone down since the return of Zach Wilson.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Tyler Conklin caught 4-of-6 targets for 22 yards in the Jets' Week 7 win over the Broncos.

After weeks of declining workloads, Conklin led the Jets in targets on an afternoon where Elijah Moore was out and Corey Davis departed early with a knee injury. We certainly would not expect it to remain a trend going forward. Conklin will be outside the top 20 for Week 8 vs. the Patriots.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Tyler Conklin caught 1-of-2 targets for seven yards in the Jets’ Week 9 win over the Bills.

Nothing much to see here, just Conklin being much like every other tight end in fantasy. After a two-touchdown outing in Week 8, he was a non-factor against the Bills. He’s seemingly splitting tight end duties with C.J. Uzomah.
- NBCSportsEDGE

No chatter on this guy. Seemed like some signs of life with White. Again any TE with a pulse is viable this year.

No chatter on this guy. Seemed like some signs of life with White. Again any TE with a pulse is viable this year.
Given White’s penchant to check down to his receivers, you could do a lot worse. I expect the Jets will be pretty pass heavy against the Vikings on Sunday. And if you believe in these things, it’s a revenge game for him.

Conklin or Engram this week?
I had this choice.....and took Engram as they are playing the Lions!
I think the two are similar with Conklin a few rankings higher. I'm already going with Etienne and Zay Jones in that game. That's more than enough JAGS to start lol.

Yes, the Lions lol. My team. The Lions still feel like they are in the hunt, and they are. They will play tough. Some points in this game on both sides.

Contemplating the same although concerned about the dearth of targets for Engram in recent weeks. Conklin’s targets also haven’t been great in recent weeks, but that was with Wilson and I think we could see a bit of a jump with White.

Contemplating the same although concerned about the dearth of targets for Engram in recent weeks. Conklin’s targets also haven’t been great in recent weeks, but that was with Wilson and I think we could see a bit of a jump with White.
That's exactly where I was at. Went Conklin because of White change to QB. Engram still on FA wire for free. Downturn, getting less targets, and now JAX gets the Lions for enticement.

Tyler Conklin caught 2-of-7 targets for nine yards in the Jets’ Week 13 loss against the Vikings.​

Conklin was thought of to be a solid play this week, but he was anything but as Corey Davis and Garrett Wilson has most of Mike White’s attention. Seeing seven targets is encouraging, but depending on Conklin (and most tight ends) weekly is always tough. It’ll get tougher for the Jets as a whole in Week 13 against the Bills.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:07 PM ET

Amazingly enough, Conklin was 10th points in FFPC scoring. I didn't even realize that.
There was 10 guys within a few points of that but still, seems like there's real upgrade potential there.

I would think they'll work hard to try and integrate Ruckert. They spent a high pick on him and he is already a very strong blocker. Mediocre production in college but lots of tools.

IMO (as a Jets fan) Conklin is just above JAG level. Makes most of the plays he should, so he produced with lots of opportunity. But he's a pretty low upside option in my eyes

The Athletic’s Zack Rosenblatt believes Tyler Conklin could be the Jets’ No. 2 pass catcher this season.
“He had a great training camp and clearly already has some chemistry with [Aaron] Rodgers,” Rosenblatt said. “As it stands right now, Conklin might be second or third in the pecking order for Rodgers — behind Garrett Wilson, maybe Lazard — and should get a healthy number of targets, especially in the red zone.” Conklin in 2022 had 58 receptions, 552 yards and three touchdowns for the Jets. If he gets the primary route-running tight end job for New York, the veteran could have some deep league PPR appeal. C.J. Uzomah is widely expected to be a blocking tight end this season.

As someone who punted the TE position after missing out on guys I wanted, Conklin is definitely someone I have on my streaming radar.

But to add more data to the previous post: I saw a tweet from Rosenblatt where he tracked all of Rodgers' targets in training camp and Conklin was 4th(although very close behind 2nd/3rd). Wilson had 35, Lazard and Carter each had 28, Conklin 27. Cobb was 5th with 14.

Edit: do any Jets fans have any strong opinions on Conklin for this season?

Users who are viewing this thread