What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Corral, NE (1 Viewer)

After scoring seven touchdowns last night against Tulane, Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral is the new Heisman Trophy betting favorite per BetMGM.

Corral (6'1/205) currently has the best odds at +210 with Alabama redshirt freshman QB Bryce Young just behind him at +250. It's really no surprise for the Ole Miss QB, who has put up monster numbers with 997 yards passing and nine touchdowns along with 158 yards rushing and five more touchdowns. This upcoming Saturday features a matchup of the top two odds on favorites for the Heisman Trophy when Ole Miss heads to Alabama on Saturday.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 19, 2021, 5:17 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 21-of-29 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown in Saturday’s 42-21 loss to Alabama.

He also had a 10-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter. Unfortunately, the second before he crossed the goal line, the score was 35-0 Alabama. Last year, Corral and his teammates torched the Tide for 48 points and 647 yards. Today, things were different. Ole Miss was limited to 291 total yards. Coming into the day, the Rebels were averaging 635 yards and 53 points per game. Corral was playing without second-leading receiver Jonathan Mingo, who has a left foot injury. But that doesn’t excuse the entire performance. Corral will not be the Heisman frontrunner when we get updated odds tomorrow.

Oct 2, 2021, 7:29 PM ET

ESPN Draft analyst Mel Kiper rates Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral as the second best 2022 quarterback in the nation.

Corral (6'1/205) completed 21-of-29 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown in Saturday’s 42-21 loss to Alabama. Though Ole Miss was clearly overmatched against the talent-laden Crimson Tide, Kiper cites Corral's never-say-die attitude as being reason for optimism that he can perform at the next level. He was pressured on 11 of his 31 dropbacks in the contest, but still completed 72.4 percent of his passes without throwing an interception all season. His above average accuracy and velocity bodes well for the Ole Miss signal caller's chances for a bounce-back this Saturday against Arkansas. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 6, 2021, 9:15 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 14-of-21 passes for 287 yards and two touchdowns in a thrilling 52-51 victory over Arkansas on Saturday.

Corral (6'1/205) was able dial up big plays when he needed them, hitting Braylon Sanders on a key fourth quarter 68-yard touchdown throw that gave Ole Miss a 52-45 lead and Dontario Drummond on a 67-yard first half score in the dramatic victory. As effective as he was through the air, Corral was just as good on the ground rushing 15 times for 94 yards and two touchdowns. He led the Rebels to touchdowns in four of their last five possessions to pull out the narrow win over Arkansas, with the Razorbacks opting to go for two points and the win, only to have the attempt fail and hand Ole Miss the game. The Rebels take on Tennessee at home next Saturday.

Oct 9, 2021, 5:46 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 21-of-38 passes for 231 yards two touchdowns, one interception and rushed for 195 yards on 30 carries in Saturday's 31-26 win over Tennessee.

Corral (6'1/205) should go home after this game and build a lot of shelving. He's going to need it at the end of the year. After tonight he put his name at the top of Heisman list and when his name will be called in April. Like in last week's 52-51 win over Arkansas, Corral was showing off his arm and his legs. He had 94 rushing yards last week, that's child's play compared to the 195 he had tonight. He was able to find open receivers and tuck the ball and run with ease. Corral connected with Dannis Jackson early in the second quarter. He made an incredible pump-fake, fooling everyone, leaving Jackson wide open for 33 yards. Corral had one hiccup and took a sack in the end zone for a safety. It looked like one of linemen missed his blocking assignment so you can't put the blame on him. Corral will look to keep this incredible campaign going next Saturday as they host LSU.

Oct 17, 2021, 1:08 AM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral is unlikely to play versus LSU according to head coach Lane Kiffin.

Kiffin said Corral is "not in good shape" after the Tennessee game, and is doubtful he is able to suit up against LSU. This is big news as Corral (6'1"/205) was a Heisman frontrunner in the season, and there wasn't much news about any sort of injury against Tennessee. Kinkead Dent or Luke Altmyer will need to set up, but neither has thrown more than five passes this year. 

SOURCE: Jake Thompson on Twitter

Oct 18, 2021, 1:22 PM ET

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral completed 18-of-23 passes for 185 yards and a touchdown in a 31-17 victory over LSU this Saturday. 

Corral (6'1/205) came into the game pretty banged up after carrying the ball 30 times last week against Tennessee. He still received 12 totes in this contest, including a three-yard touchdown run where he barreled his way through two defenders for the gold zone score, but only ran for 24 yards. His touchdown pass came on a well designed tight end release at the goal line, as the Rebels had no trouble running up a 31-7 lead before calling off the dogs late, allowing LSU to score. Ole Miss will try to extend their three-game winning streak next Saturday at Auburn.

Oct 23, 2021, 11:27 PM ET

Mississippi redshirt junior QB Matt Corral moves down to No. 2 in Heisman odds according to PointsBet.

Alabama quarterback Bryce Young made the leap over Corral (6'1/205) in Heisman Trophy odds, going to +175 over Corral's +180 before kickoff on Saturday morning. Young had the much better performance on Saturday throwing for 371 yards and four total touchdowns to Corral's 185 passing yards and two total touchdowns. After the game, Corral's odds dropped down to +275. There's still plenty of time to sway the voters. Both of these SEC quarterbacks have been tremendous this year. It will be tough to guess who wins up till the moment we hear the winner's name. Mississippi has a tough road matchup against No.18 Auburn next Saturday.

SOURCE: PointsBet

Oct 24, 2021, 6:44 PM ET

OIe Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral has yet to throw a single interception from a clean pocket.

Corral (6'1/205) has done plenty of good things this season, still very much in the race for the Heisman Trophy. So far in 2021, Corral has completed 67.6% of his passes for 1,913 yards with 15 touchdowns and just one interception. There are plenty of metrics that have come out in which Corral is toward the top of the rankings. One area that he's stood out in, as highlighted by Pro Football Focus, is how precise he's been from a clean pocket. In 182 total dropbacks from a clean pocket, Corral has zero interceptions. That's the most in college football without an interception.

Oct 28, 2021, 2:50 PM ET

Mississippi redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 21-of-37 passes for 289 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. He also ran 10 times for 45 yards and a touchdown in Ole Miss' 31-20 loss to Auburn.

Corral (6'1"/205) looked like he was done for the day after getting his left ankle twisted badly, but managed to came back after just two drives. He played pretty well for the most part, but Auburn's defense really came to play, and his one major mistake ended up being the nail in the coffin in the upset loss. Corral still had a number of incredible highlight throws that showed why he was a Heisman favorite, but the pass to pass consistency sometimes just isn't there. His mobility and ability to throw on the run where fantastic, and his touchdown run was a prime example. After scanning the field, Corral saw empty space to the right and took it for an 11-yard score. For every one or two great plays and throws made though, their were a few misses or penalties or something that would end up stalling the drive out. Corral had a chance to cut the lead to once score in the 4th with the ball on the Auburn 14, but threw a game sealing pick. He did well to escape pressure to the right, shaking off a sack but made the ill-advised decision to throw back into the middle, with no vision of the entire left side of the field. Jaylin Simpson came flying in to make the pick and the game was essentially over. You can see the potential every game Corral plays and he generally makes great decisions, but today there weren't enough good plays to put points on a swarming Tigers' defense. Corral and Ole Miss might be in for a shootout next week against Liberty as they try and bounce back. 

Oct 30, 2021, 11:47 PM ET

Accurate throws are impressive. No idea how he'd do when his first 2 options aren't there but he can extend plays with his legs. 

Mississippi redshirt junior QB Matt Corral said he re-injured the same ankle from two prior.

Corral (6'1"/205) left Saturday night's 31-20 loss to Auburn in the second quarter with an apparent ankle injury. Corral's face look like he was in agony as he was carted off the field. Backup quarterback Luke Altmyer came in for a brief stint before Corral returned. After the game, Corral indicated this is the same ankle injury he's been dealing with for a couple of weeks. In the post-game interview, he revealed his toughness "I couldn't feel it, my ankle. I heard it pop...Honestly, I don't know what it was. I couldn't feel it for like five minutes, got it back. Got it X-rayed. I told them if nothing was broke, I'm going back in and that was it." This ankle injury may not have any structural damage but it could be impacting his performance. He's arguably played his two-worse games of the season by throwing for a season-low 185 yards against LSU, then not passing for a touchdown Saturday against Auburn. This loss all but takes Mississippi out of the SEC conference championship and College Football Playoffs. With Corral being a high NFL prospect going in the 2022 draft, he could shut it down to avoid further damage and hurting his draft stock. Have we seen the last of Corral in college? We'll certainly find out his status during the week.

SOURCE: Inside The Rebels

Oct 31, 2021, 9:41 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 20-of-27 passes for 324 yards and a touchdown in a 27-14 victory over Liberty this Saturday.

Corral (6'1/205) was very efficient in the contest, completing 74 percent of his throws despite having none of his three opening day receivers being healthy enough to start the game. He hit Dannis Jackson, who was starting his first game, on a RPO that confused the Liberty defense, leaving his receiver wide open on a crossing route for a 40-yard touchdown strike that gave Ole Miss a commanding 24-0 lead that they would not relinquish. If there's a criticism, it's that Corral was only able to pickup two-of-nine third downs. The Rebels have a pivotal home game set for next week against Texas A&M.

Nov 6, 2021, 5:47 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral drops in the odds to win the Heisman Trophy according to PointsBet.

Corral (6'1/205) was riding high a few weeks ago when he had the best odds to win the prestigious award. The mixture of a loss, sub-par performances, and the rise of his constituents had him fall once again. This week he dropped to +550 with C.J. Stroud and Kenneth Walker III climbing over him. Corral has been dealing with an ankle issue for the last couple of weeks, he hasn't missed a start, but it could be impacting his performance. Mississippi will get ready to host Texas A&M next Saturday.

Nov 7, 2021, 6:04 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 24-of-37 passes for 247 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions in Saturday's 29-19 loss against Texas A&M.

Corral (6'1/205) was, well, corralled, pretty well by the Texas A&M defense, but the Rebels still ended up outgaining the Aggies 504 to 378 in total yards. That's because Ole Miss took to a more ground-and-pound attack, gashing the Aggies for 257 yards on the ground, including 4.6 yards per attempt. He improved to 2-2 this season against ranked teams, but his yardage total was rather ordinary. He and the Rebels should be able to put up big numbers against the lowly Vanderbilt Commodores next Saturday in Oxford.

Nov 13, 2021, 11:47 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral drops once again in the odds to win the Heisman Trophy race according to PointsBet.

It's been a rough month for the Mississippi quarterback. Corral (6'1"/205) put together another sub-par performance by throwing for 247 yards and a touchdown. What's been noticeably missing from Corral is his running ability. In the last two games, he's run for nine yards and -5. With that, his odds dropped once again this week in the Heisman race, going from +525 to +600. Once the favorite to win, he now sits in fourth behind Bryce Young, Kenneth Walker, and C.J. Stroud. We'll likely see him in New York City when the trophy is given out, but chances of him hoisting the Heisman are dwindling fast as his constituents' stocks are rising.

Nov 14, 2021, 8:26 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral completed 27-of-36 passes for 326 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in a 31-17 victory over Vanderbilt on Saturday night. 

Corral (6'1/205) was back to his vintage passing form against Vanderbilt's pitiful defense, as the Heisman pseudo-contender threw for over 300-yards for the fourth time this season. He hit a releasing Jerrion Ealy on an eight-yard pass for his first touchdown reception, and Dontario Drummond who was motioning right for a 10-yard score on his second. The Rebels had the game pretty under control most of the way despite the two touchdown margin, likely saving some energy for next week's rivalry game against Mississippi State. 

Nov 21, 2021, 1:29 AM ET

This guy appears to be most people’s 1.01 in SF mock drafts I’ve seen so far, but I’m not sure I’m sold. Anyone else just really underwhelmed with this class of QB’s? 

I have 1.01 in a 2QB league and I seriously may take Treylon Burks if I keep the pick. 

This guy appears to be most people’s 1.01 in SF mock drafts I’ve seen so far, but I’m not sure I’m sold. Anyone else just really underwhelmed with this class of QB’s? 

I have 1.01 in a 2QB league and I seriously may take Treylon Burks if I keep the pick. 
Yes all year qbs suck.

Corral has talent but he's not worth 1.1.

Guy stays hurt as well.

yeah, I’ve been trying to convince myself. Due to absolutely terrible injuries and a shamefully poor QB corps in a dynasty superFlex league, I’ve spent the last 3 weeks tanking my little bottom off and will have the 1.01 pick. 

QBs : Roethlisberger/Lance/Dalton/Fitz 

RBs : Kamara/Dobbins/Akers/Etienne/Mack/Penny/L Murray/a few others 

WRs : Deebo/Pittman/A Robinson/Thielen/Lazard/ a few others 

Almost feel like I have to take a QB at 1.01 as Big Ben is gonna be gone, but it’s going to kill me if none of them feel like correct value. Need to wait to draft process, if a good organisation like the Steelers or maybe Broncos value someone high and take them then it still might be worth going with that QB at 1.01, but yes I’m also getting twitchy about potentially taking Burks 

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral re-confirmed in a press conference on Monday that he intends to play in the team's Sugar Bowl game.

Corral (6'1/205) spoke to the media on Monday saying of his teammates, "I wouldn't be in this position without them. I won't just leave. I know what's on the other side but I'm gonna give these guys everything I got." For those hoping to catch Corral in one more game, this will come as music to their ears. For those hoping their team drafts him in April as their franchise quarterback, they will likely wait with bated breath, hoping that Corral comes out of the Sugar Bowl with a clean bill of health when it's all said and done. Corral is currently projected as the eighth overall pick to Washington according to ESPN, and is almost a lock to be a first round pick, even if he slips a bit throughout the draft process. This season, Corral threw for 3,333 yards, 20 touchdowns and four interceptions while also rushing for 597 yards and another 11 scores.

SOURCE: John Sokoloff on Twitter

Dec 14, 2021, 3:09 PM ET

Ole Miss redshirt junior QB Matt Corral reportedly suffered a sprained ankle in Saturday's Sugar Bowl loss to Baylor.

The worst appears to have been avoided, as Corral's (6'1/205) family revealed to ESPN that X-rays on his ankle showed a sprained ankled, however they are awaiting an MRI to determine the severity of the sprain. It sounds like Corral should be good to go in the coming months with the NFL Scouting Combine and Pro Days still months away.

SOURCE: Chris Low on Twitter

Jan 2, 2022, 3:14 PM ET

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral will now throw at his pro day on March 23rd.

There was some calamity earlier this week when the Ole Miss pro day was announced to be the same day as both Cincinnati's and Liberty's, sending some real frustrations to scouts and teams alike. For any team that needs a quarterback, having pro days on the same day involving three of the top six players does nobody any good, especially the players. Now that Ole Miss has moved, the nearly finalized plan will have the 21-24th of March loaded with four-straight quarterback pro days starting with Pittsburgh followed by Liberty, Ole Miss, and Cincinnati. This avoided any further calamity and is best for all parties involved.

SOURCE: Albert Breer

Feb 10, 2022, 7:41 PM ET

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral is not among the passers who will throw at the 2022 NFL Scouting Combine.

Corral (6'1/205) wasn't eligible to participate in some of the offseason showcases ahead of the 2022 NFL Draft, so he hasn't been seen in action since the final day of the Ole Miss football season. He won't throw at the combine either, according to Ian Rapoport. It is plausible Corral wants to throw with his own receivers at Pro Day, something that may be wise given the chemistry established.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport

Feb 28, 2022, 1:38 PM ET

Ole MIss QB Matt Corral met with the Pittsburgh Steelers on his first day at the combine.

The Steelers are one of the most QB needy teams, with stalwart Ben Roethlisberger calling it quits this season. It's a shaky QB class, but that also means anyone could fall to the Steeler's pick at 20, or opens up lots of options for a potential trade up. The Steelers are truly the team that is most "one QB away" from being real contenders. They have a star-in-the-making at RB, a top WR in Diontae Johnson, a fearsome defense and a likely Hall-of-Fame coach. They just need a QB to tide everything over, and Corral was a preseason favorite to be one of the top QBs taken. 

SOURCE: Thor Nystrom on Twitter

Mar 2, 2022, 12:46 PM ET

The Draft Network draft analyst Kyle Crabbs has the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting Ole Miss QB Matt Corral with the 20th overall selection in his latest mock draft.

The Steelers have been linked to numerous quarterbacks throughout the process. NBC Sports Edge draft analyst Thor Nystrom reported that Corral's first interview was with the Steelers and that is the destination that Crabbs has in his latest mock. He spoke in his analysis how the commitment to the line and a myriad of playmakers will help make Corral's transition to the pro game easier. 

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 7, 2022, 3:08 PM ET

Ole Miss QB Matt Corral thrived off play-action this past season, leading the nation in passing yards on such plays.

With 2,207 yards, Corral (6'1/205) thrived in those situations. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise as his offense was very RPO-heavy for the Rebels. It also is something that projects to the NFL level, as a lot of teams run play-action heavy offenses due to its effectiveness and efficiency. Don't be surprised if a wide-zone team is the one to draft Corral for that fact.

SOURCE: PFF Draft

Mar 15, 2022, 8:48 PM ET

2022 NFL Draft: Five takeaways from Ole Miss QB Matt Corral, Ohio State pro days

Excerpt:

1) We finally got a chance to see Matt Corral throw, and he did not disappoint.Corral's workout showed off his compact, lightning-quick release, and he let it rip downfield a few times, dropping one over the shoulder of his receiver, then placing a back-corner fade on the right shoulder of his target in a red-zone session. He was accurate for the majority of his workout and his athleticism was evident in the twitchy bounce of his footwork. Corral's teammates didn't always help him out, dropping a few catchable passes and running the wrong route on one snap, but all in all, the workout was solid.

2) Most importantly, Corral looked healthy. There weren't any visible signs of limitations caused by the high ankle sprain he suffered in Ole Miss' Sugar Bowl appearance, which prevented him from working out at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this month. Instead of being hampered by the injury, Corral looked comfortable and confident, delivering on-target passes and moving with ease. That should alleviate, if not eliminate, any concerns about his health entering the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread