What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Treylon Burks, TEN (1 Viewer)

Most Important Hogs in 2021: No. 2 - WR Treylon Burks

2. Treylon Burks - WR

There is very little debate regarding Arkansas’ best player, as Treylon Burks has already popped in several first-round mock drafts and landed on numerous preseason All-America teams. Pro Football Focus even ranked him as the No. 32 overall player in college football for the upcoming season.

Burks has also seen his importance rise since the end of spring ball because of Mike Woods’ decision to transfer to Oklahoma. The two receivers were set to be one of the top duos in the SEC, but now it’s up to Burks to shoulder those expectations.

Arguably the most physically gifted player to come out of the Natural State since Darren McFadden, Burks was a 5.9 four-star recruit and ranked No. 146 overall in the Class of 2019. However, that was likely due to his lack of interest in going to camps and other events that would get him more exposure. Otherwise, he might have been a borderline five-star prospect and had many more than nine offers.

Once on campus, Burks was a starter from Day 1 and - even though he never found the end zone - he caught 29 passes for a team-high 475 yards in 2019. He was also used as a wildcat quarterback and in the return game, with his 14.4 yards per touch leading all FBS freshmen.

With a new coaching staff, the Warren native put together one of the most dominant seasons by a receiver in UA history. Despite playing in only nine games, which was actually more like eight because of an early injury, Burks caught 51 passes for 820 yards and seven touchdowns.

Had it not been for the injury and a shortened season because of the pandemic, Burks was on pace to catch about 75 passes for 1,215 yards and 10 touchdowns in a 12-game season. That’s without factoring in a bowl game or the fact that his production came solely against SEC opponents.

Blessed with massive hands, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame and speed, Burks is one of the top deep threats in the country. According to PFF, which gave him an outstanding 82.6 overall grade and 88.9 receiving grade, he has 17 receptions of 20-plus yards over the last two seasons, which ranks 10th among Power Five receivers despite him doing it as an underclassman.

In the only game started by KJ Jefferson - this year’s starter - last season, Burks caught 10 passes for 206 yards, so it’s clear that the two have a good connection already and it’s not a stretch to say they’ll be the key to each other’s - and the offense’s - success in 2021.

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks has 127 yards on three receptions and one touchdown in 45-10 win over Georgia Southern.

The stat line looks great for Burks (6'3"/225) no matter how you look at it, but he got a majority of those yards on one play, and he earned it. Midway through the third quarter, QB KJ Jefferson threw a pass out to Burks in the flat, he got two great blocks, ran in between two Georgia Southern defenders, then it was a foot race after that to complete the 91-yard touchdown. Arkansas will take on Texas A&M next Saturday.

Sep 18, 2021, 7:36 PM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks (undisclosed) was seen in a walking boot following Saturday's 20-10 win over Texas A&M but should be fine for Saturday's matchup against Georgia.

This should come as a huge sigh of relief to both Arkansas' team and fans alike. Burks (6'3/225) posted a receiving line of 6/167/1 against Texas A&M and has been the Razorbacks' best receiver of the season, hauling in 19 catches for 373 yards and two touchdowns while averaging 19.6 yards per reception. Head coach Sam Pittman did say Burks may not be full speed on Monday, that he should be okay for Saturday.

SOURCE: SEC Mike on Twitter

Sep 27, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks (undisclosed) had three receptions for 10 yards in Saturday’s 37-0 loss to Georgia.

This tape will be extra-analyzed by NFL scouts in the spring, as Burks was in a marquee matchup across from Georgia’s stud starting corners Tykee Smith and Derion Kendrick. He also ended up getting harassed by S Lewis Cine. The entire Arkansas offense melted down today, and, to be fair, Burks ended last week's game in a walking boot. But it still wasn’t the best look for Burks, a potential first-rounder, to be held to a few manufactured touches in such a high-profile showdown.

Oct 2, 2021, 3:59 PM ET

Arkansas WR Treylon Burks caught seven passes for 136 yards and a touchdown in a 52-51 loss to Ole Miss on Saturday.

Burks (6'3/225) was in truly dominant form against the Rebels, leading both teams in targets and receptions while making multiple tough catches to help keep Arkansas moving the chains. While the Razorbacks' offense revolved around their devastating rushing attack that posted 350 yards and four touchdowns on the ground, Burks still managed to reel in a 20-yard touchdown reception that tied the game at 38-38 in the fourth quarter. He was the intended target on the final two-point conversion attempt that ended the game, but the pass sailed way over Burks' head. The supremely talented wideout will try to catch another touchdown next Saturday against Auburn.

Oct 9, 2021, 6:43 PM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks caught nine passes for 109 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-23 loss to Auburn on Saturday.

Burks (6'3/225) and his giant mitts were once again on full display against Auburn, reeling nine of a game-high 12 targets and working over the Tigers' secondary on an array of routes. His highlight-reel moment came early in the third-quarter when he elevated over two defenders on a deep post route to haul in the 30-yard touchdown reception. It marks the fourth time in his last five games that Burks has gone for over 100-yards with a touchdown, as the hulking wideout continues to make his case to be a priority NFL Draft selection in April. 

Oct 16, 2021, 9:05 PM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks caught six passes for 82 yards, a receiving touchdown, and three rushes for 39 yards in Saturday's 31-28 win over Mississippi State

82 receiving yards is Burks' (6'3/225) lowest total in his last four games, but this was a big win for Arkansas. Miss St. did not have an answer at stopping the Razorbacks, especially in the second half when Arkansas was hands down winning the battle at the line of scrimmage. Arkansas went heavy on the ground game, allowing running back Dominique Johnson to have career-high 17 carries for 107 yards and two touchdowns. Even Burks got in on the fun with three carries of his own, including one 26 yard run and another for 17. Burks did what he does best and caught a 14-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to increase the lead to 23-14, but Miss St. would answer back. Johnson would have a four-yard touchdown take the lead with 22 seconds left and seal an upset win. Arkansas (6-3, SEC 2-3) will head to Baton Rouge next Saturday to take on LSU. 

Nov 6, 2021, 9:47 PM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks caught eight passes for 179 yards and two touchdowns in Arkansas' 42-35 loss to Alabama. 

Burks (6'3"/225) did everything he could, but the Razorbacks fell slightly short of Alabama. He set his season high in yards and made so many big time grabs in this game. He caught multiple balls against tight coverage, and also showed off his speed on both touchdowns, the first a short screen that he took to the pylon, and the second he beat single coverage and then just outsprinted the rest for 66 yards. He made his presence known all over the field, and it felt like you could throw anything his way and he could come down with it. In a game where three receivers past 170 yards, it could be hard to stand out but Burks had arguably the most impressive day from a catching standpoint. Burks had somewhat slowed down after a bombastic start to the season, but perhaps has regained his confidence, and will take that renewed confidence into what should be an easy matchup against Missouri next week. 

Nov 21, 2021, 1:30 AM ET

Arkansas junior WR Treylon Burks WR caught seven receptions for 129 yards and a touchdown in Saturday’s 34-17 win over Missouri.

The Burks and KJ Jefferson was a potent duo today for the Razorbacks. They proved through this game to be no match for the Missouri secondary as they were able to connect for big yards a couple of times. Arkansas got their first touchdown of the day with a Raheim Sanders one-yard score, but it was when Jefferson made a huge throw to Treylon Burk for 43 yards that would put them in the red zone. Jefferson and Burk started to break this game open early in the third quarter when Jefferson aired it from his back foot, and Burk was about six steps ahead of the defensive back on an easy over-the-shoulder catch for 52 yards. Arkansas had no probably holding a big lead against a Missouri offense that's one-dimensional and have trouble keeping up with opponents in their passing game. The offense has really been clicking over the last couple of games and must have confidence going into bowl season.

Nov 26, 2021, 7:31 PM ET

I have Burks with the best production rating in this class, and also with the best size+athleticism rating.

2022 NFL Draft Big Board: B/R NFL Scouting Dept.'s End-of-Season Top 150

Grading Scale

10: Generational Talent/No. 1 Overall

9.5-9.9: Top-Five Prospect

9.0-9.4: Top-10 Prospect

8.5-8.9: Immediate Impact Prospect/1st Round

8.0-8.4: Year 1 Starter/Late 1st-2nd Round

... grades were broken through roundtable discussions among the four scouts.

5. Drake London, WR, USC (9.0)

10. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (8.7)

12. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabam (8.6)

15. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (8.6)

19. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas (8.3)

15. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (8.6)

19. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas (8.3)

At some point before posting this, someone at Bleacher Report should have realized that sooner or later, they are 100% going to rank 6'3", 225 over 5'11", 184, and fudged the numbers a little. 😃

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Draft News and Rumors: Treylon Burks struggling? Do the Jets like Trey McBride and Jeremy Ruckert?

Excerpt:

NFL Draft News and Rumors: Is Treylon Burks struggling?

Several weeks ago, I reported Arkansas receiver Treylon Burks, widely projected as a first-round pick, tipped the scales at a hefty 230+ pounds during combine training.

Since then, I’m told Burks has gotten his weight down. However, he still does not look as smooth or fluid. Additionally, he’s not running routes as well as the other receivers he’s training with.

NFL Draft News and Rumors: Treylon Burks struggling? Do the Jets like Trey McBride and Jeremy Ruckert?

Excerpt:

Several weeks ago, I reported Arkansas receiver Treylon Burks, widely projected as a first-round pick, tipped the scales at a hefty 230+ pounds during combine training.

Since then, I’m told Burks has gotten his weight down. However, he still does not look as smooth or fluid. Additionally, he’s not running routes as well as the other receivers he’s training with.
Thanks for all of your hard work continually feeding us a steady diet of excellent information @Faust

There were already questions about Burks' route running.  Although it is yet early in the process, the news that Burks arrived for training in less than optimal condition is a bit of a red flag, imo.

Thanks for all of your hard work continually feeding us a steady diet of excellent information @Faust

There were already questions about Burks' route running.  Although it is yet early in the process, the news that Burks arrived for training in less than optimal condition is a bit of a red flag, imo.
the route running is even more concerning I think, but combined yeah that's going to be somebody else's problem in top half of round 1 of rookie drafts besides me.

I do appreciate film study and people evaluating route running, but I form a lot of my opinions on what players do at a young age against elite defense.  Burks against Alabama and Bell against Iowa first round CB stick out to me from this past year.

the route running is even more concerning I think, but combined yeah that's going to be somebody else's problem in top half of round 1 of rookie drafts besides me.
I'm softening on this hate a bit as I start to study him a little more. He has some DK Metcalf potential that I don't want to overlook completely. Still not sure how I rank him yet, but I do see the appeal. 

Faust said:
The money quote from Jeremiah:

His role in this offense places him primarily in the slot, with a few backfield reps mixed into each game I viewed. He hauls in a lot of quick-hitters (swings, bubbles, and slants), which highlight his best attribute: run after catch. He powers through tacklers consistently and is sneaky-elusive, as well. He has the ability to get vertical from the slot and tracks the ball very well over the shoulder.
This guy isn't going to win like Hunter Renfrow. So I'm not even thinking about route running. 

I love Burks, but I’m afraid the fantasy community is higher on him than the NFL is.
Could be, or maybe "the NFL" (i.e. sources or opinion) hope to cause him to slide in drafts. I find it really hard to believe anything I read pre-draft.

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah says Arkansas WR Treylon Burks has "A.J. Brown-type upside"

As the initial mock drafts start to roll out, most have Burks (6'3/225) in the mix with USC's Drake London and Ohio State's Garrett Wilson as the first receivers taken off the board. NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah has Burks going to Washington at No 11. With the Commanders' having questions at quarterback and Terry McLaurin as their leading receiver, another pass catcher may not be their top priority, but Jeremiah doesn't list the teams on his board, so maybe he just believes Burks is the 11th best player. Jeremiah likes Burk's ability to line up wide and in the slot and he uses his size very well against defenders. Burks does have some problems with drops, but Jeremiah says he has "A.J. Brown-type upside." Brown has developed into one of the premier receivers in the league, if eventually, Burks can get there, that's some high praise.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 13, 2022, 2:58 PM ET

Arkansas WR Treylon Burks took the top spot in DraftWire's latest positional rankings.

It's another stacked WR class for the upcoming draft, and a lot of different names are being thrown out as the first receiver off the board. For DraftWire's Luke Easterling, it's Treylon Burks (6'3"/225) who should earn that honor. He ranked ahead of other popular choices like Ohio State's Garrett Wilson (2nd), Alabama's Jameson Williams (3rd) and USC's Drake London (4th). Burks size-speed combination is tantalizing, often drawing comparisons to Titan's star A.J. Brown. Combined with his fantastic production (1,104 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns, which outgained the next closest Razorback receiver by nearly 800 yards and accounted for half of the passing touchdowns thrown) on a much less prolific passing team, and it makes sense why Burks is in the running for best WR in the class.

SOURCE: Luke Easterling on DraftWire

Feb 14, 2022, 2:28 PM ET

Former Arkansas WR Treylon Burks headlines five Arkansas players invited to the NFL Scouting Combine.

Burks (6'3"/225) is a virtual lock to go in the first round of this year's NFL Draft, how high he goes will be the question that everyone will wait to see answered. The former Razorback posted a receiving line of 65-1,100-11 in 2021, and is viewed by some as the best wide receiver in his class. In addition to Burks, DB Montaric Brown, OL Myron Cunningham, DL John Ridgeway and LB Tre Williams will also be headed to the combine, although none profile as first rounders like Burks.

SOURCE: 247Sports.com

Feb 16, 2022, 9:58 PM ET

Draft Wire draft analyst Luke Easterling has Arkansas WR Treylon Burks as the first wide receiver off the board at 13 to the Cleveland Browns.

With the wide receiver position, the carousel will continue throughout the process. Burks (6'3/225) is the top WR in Easterling's rankings and going to the Browns makes complete sense. He is a diverse weapon that head coach Kevin Stefanski will be able to deploy in a myriad of ways. He will be the weapon that could unlock the offense for Baker Mayfield in the way that Odell Beckham Jr was supposed to. Burks is the first of four receivers in the first round with the second one being Garrett Wilson at pick number 27.

SOURCE: Draft Wire

Feb 18, 2022, 12:50 AM ET

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Arkansas WR Treylon Burks as his top wide receiver in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

There are a lot of differing opinions about who is the top wideout in this year's class, in Zierlein's opinion, that player is Treylon Burks whom he bestows a 6.71 prospect grade on. The next highest ranked wideout is Garrett Wilson at 6.50 with Jameson Williams following close thereafter at 6.48. According to Pro Football Focus, Burks has the highest receiving grade among draft-eligible wide receivers (92.6), as he reeled in 66 receptions for 1,104 yards with 11 touchdowns in 2021. He forced 15 missed tackles and received a PFF overall grade of 85.2. Burks finishes his career with 147 receptions for 2,418 yards and 19 career touchdowns in 32 career games with the Razorbacks and he is looking like a surefire first rounder.

Feb 23, 2022, 2:25 PM ET

Arkansas WR Treylon Burks came in clutch on passes for substantial yardage in 2021.

Burks (6'3/225) is largely projected to be a first-round pick in the 2022 NFL Draft after a successful career with the Razorbacks. He was among the SEC's best in a host of categories and was easily one of the most important pieces of helping the wheels turn for the Arkansas offense. According to Pro Football Focus, Burks had the second-most catches on 20-plus yard throws (13) in 2021.

Feb 25, 2022, 1:36 PM ET

NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks ranks Arkansas WR Treylon Burks as his fifth-best wide receiver in the upcoming draft.

If you look at most mock drafts, experts believe the WR is stacked with some great talent, but the ranking of these players has not been consistent. Some have Burks (6'3"/225) right at the top, but not in this instance. NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks has him ranked fifth behind Drake London, Jameson Williams, Garett Wilson, and Jahan Dotson. All of these names except Dotson have been consistently talked about amongst the top receivers, most have Dotson going early in the second round. These are all early rankings and there are still many more to go as we're just under two months till draft day.

Feb 26, 2022, 4:50 PM ET

Arkansas WR Treylon Burks official measurement are near identical to his most common comparison, A.J. Brown.

Burks official measurements were 6'2", 225 pounds, with 33 1/2" arm length, 9 7/8 hand length and a 79 1/8 wingspan. Brown came in at 6'0", 226, 32 7/8 arm, 9 3/4 hands and 78 wingspan. So basically Burks is a slightly bigger A.J. Brown. If he can run a similar 40 time as well (Brown came in at 4.49), Burks could really shoot up draft boards. 

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 3, 2022, 1:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread