What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Breece Hall, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Analyst Names College Football’s No. 1 Running Back

Excerpt:

But who came in at No. 1? That spot belongs to Iowa State star Breece Hall.

Here’s what 247Sports had to say about Hall:

Coming off a mesmerizing 23-touchdown sophomore season, Breece Hall is poised to win the Doak Walker Award this fall as one of the leaders within a veteran-laden offense for the Cyclones. The top draft prospect at the position depending on who you ask, Hall doesn’t have a weakness in his game and is Iowa State’s first-ever unanimous All-American in program history.

The Cyclones star led college football in rushing during the 2020 season, as noted by 247Sports.

“Hall was the leading rusher in the FBS during the 2020 season, racking up 1,572 yards on the ground and became the first running back since LaDainian Tomlinson to rush for 100-plus yards with a rushing touchdown in seven consecutive games to start a season,” the article said. “Hall also notched 23 catches for 180 yards and two touchdowns.”

Hall seemingly has it all, but will he be the top running back this season?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iowa State sophomore RB Breece Hall carried 16 times for 69 yards in a 27-17 loss to Iowa.

Hall (6'1"/215) did not have one of his better performances, as the 2020 All-American averaged 4.3 yards per carry and topped out with a long rush of only 16 yards. While there wasn't much room to run for most of the day, Hall's biggest issue stemmed from his third-quarter fumble within the ISU 10-yard line that bounced into an awaiting Iowa player's arms for the defensive touchdown. He couldn't find the kind of running lanes he was accustomed to last season when Hall ran for 90+ yards in 11-of-12 games and scored a touchdown in every contest. He and the Cyclones will take out their frustration on a morose UNLV team next Saturday.

Sep 12, 2021, 1:21 AM ET

Iowa State sophomore RB Breece Hall carried 27 times for 190 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-29 loss to Baylor on Saturday.

Hall (6'1"/215) was an absolute juggernaut accounting for 241 total yards and breaking off a series of highlight reel worthy plays. Though Hall had started the season with two 69-yard rushing performances in his first three games, he was the unquestioned engine off Iowa State's offense and was the only reason they had a shot at tying the game at the end. Though the Cyclones came up short, you can't cay enough about Hall's standout performance. He will once again lead ISU when they take on Kansas next week. 

Sep 26, 2021, 1:15 AM ET

Iowa State sophomore RB Breece Hall scored twice while running for 123 yards on 17 carries in a 59-7 shellacking on Saturday of Kansas. 

Hall wasn't quite as good as he was statistically in the loss to Baylor last week, but the 6-foot-1, 215-pound tailback was more efficient. It also was a blowout win instead of a close loss, so he probably likes that too. The tailback has scored two touchdowns in three-straight games, and he's gone over the century mark in those games as well. Hall is one of the best backs in the country, and should continue his good run after a bye next week when he faces off against the Wildcats of Kansas State. 

Oct 2, 2021, 10:26 PM ET

Iowa State sophomore RB Breece Hall rushed for 197 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in a 33-20 win over Kansas State on Saturday.

Hall (6'1/220) set the tone for the Cyclones taking the opening play of the game 75 yards for a touchdown. He scored his second touchdown in the second quarter helping Iowa State to a 20-7 halftime lead. This was Hall's fourth straight game with two touchdowns and his second on the season with 190+ yards rushing. Hall has set himself up well for the Doak Walker Award and an All-American team. The 4-2 Cyclones take on the undefeated Oklahoma State Cowboys next Saturday.

Oct 17, 2021, 12:07 AM ET

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall rushed for 70 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries in Saturday's 24-21 upset win over Oklahoma State.

Hall (6'1/220) snapped a four-game streak over 100 or more rushing yards, although kept a more important streak alive. He scored for a Big 12 record 19th consecutive game as the unranked Cyclones upset No. 8 Oklahoma State. They need to continue to win big games like this if they want a chance at winning the Big 12. They will travel to play West Virginia next Saturday.

Oct 24, 2021, 5:59 PM ET

Notebook: Hall’s production matched by few; Cyclones successful in October and Mesidor good to go for Saturday

Excerpt:

The Wichita, Kansas native came into the 2021 campaign with 2,469 rushing yards over this first two seasons. Hall’s 1,572 rushing yards led all of college football a year ago and his 21 rushing touchdowns were second to Alabama standout and current Pittsburgh Steelers tailback Najee Harris.

Hall has a chance to surpass his rushing total from last season. He comes to Morgantown as college football’s 11th leading rusher and second in the Big 12 Conference with 818 yards and 11 touchdowns on 155 carries.

“He’s really patient,” WVU defensive coordinator Jordan Lesley said. “He holds and then he accelerates through the seam or gap that he has. He’s as good as anybody at the speed of that and breaking tackles, keeping his shoulders square and getting downhill. Normally a guy like that is strictly a power guy, but Breece is good in space.”

Hall had four consecutive 100-yard performances until being held to 70 yards on 21 carries during the Cyclones’ 24-21 victory against previously unbeaten Oklahoma State last Saturday.

He was also limited to 69 yards in each of the team’s first two games against Northern Iowa and Iowa, before beginning the streak of 100-yard performances, which also included two rushing scores in all four games.

Brown noted the Cyclones also have one of the better offensive lines in the Big 12, which has allowed Hall to become one of the sport’s better tailbacks.

“Their offensive line really comes off the ball,” Brown said. “They’re physical and they do a really good job as a cohesive unit of doing what they’re asked to do.”

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall has been highly efficient, especially in regards to scoring touchdowns, for the Cyclones.

Hall (6'1/220) just makes playing football look easy. So far in 2021, he totals 179 rushing attempts for 985 yards with 12 touchdowns, also with 26 receptions for 208 yards and one touchdown. He's been quite the home run hitter for the Cyclones according to Pro Football Focus, with the most 50+ yard rushing touchdowns since 2019 (6).

Nov 4, 2021, 3:36 PM ET

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall racked up 136 yards with two touchdowns on 19 carries in Saturday's 30-7 win over Texas.

Hall (6'1/220) didn't start out well, and the Cyclones were actually behind 7-3 at halftime. He averaged just 2.4 yards per attempt on seven carries in the first half, but he fired out of the locker room with 53 yards on his first two attempts in the second half, setting the tone for the remainder of the game. He has at least one rushing touchdown in 21 consecutive games, and he has hit the century mark in six of the past seven games. He'll look to keep up the good work at Texas Tech next Saturday.

Nov 7, 2021, 12:56 AM ET

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall is outdoing those around him in several areas.

There's hardly a more important player to the Iowa State offense than Breece Hall. He's top dog in several categories -- rushing touchdowns (44), rushing yards (3,571), yards after contact (2,185) and forced missed tackles (185). Expect Hall to continue being one of the nation's most prominent running backs moving forward.

Nov 11, 2021, 6:52 PM ET

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall rushed 18 times for 51 yards and two touchdowns, while catching three passes for 25 yards and a receiving touchdown in a 41-38 loss to Texas Tech on Saturday.

Hall (6'1/220) was bottled up by the beleaguered Texas Tech defense that was allowing 6.5 yards per play heading into the contest, holding the All-American to his lowest rushing total of the year. His day wasn't without some highlights, as Hall broke out a nifty spin move on his 17-yard touchdown rush in addition to also punching in a one-yard goal line score. Though he had trouble breaking free for many big plays outside of his first touchdown run, Hall displayed his incredible athleticism by breaking multiple tackles on a 14-yard scoring reception to bring Iowa State within three points late in the fourth quarter. 

Nov 13, 2021, 7:33 PM ET

Iowa State junior RB Breece Hall rushed 18 times for 242 yards and three touchdowns, while also catching two passes for 39 yards and a touchdown in a 48-14 win over TCU on Friday afternoon.

Hall (6'1/220) for most of the season had been a boom or bust player with a long run propping up his stat line in quite a few games. This was not one of them, as Hall ran all over a Horned Frogs defense that has struggled mightily since TCU moved on from Gary Patterson. His first touchdown on the day was a dive play for 39-yards that broke former Arkansas Razorback Bill Burnett's record of 23-straight games with a touchdown by scoring in his 24th-consecutive. The 80-yard run to start the fourth quarter was the dagger for Iowa State, as it ended any kind of potential comeback that the Horned Frogs might have. Iowa State ends the season with seven wins and will await their bowl opponent.

Nov 26, 2021, 7:54 PM ET

"This seems to be a four-man race between Alabama’s Brian Robinson Jr., Michigan State’s Kenneth Walker III, Texas A&M’s Isaiah Spiller, and Iowa State’s Breece Hall. Each of these four running backs can make a case to be the No. 1 guy."

I thought I liked Brian Robinson, Jr. more than most, but this author has definitely taken the Robinson love up another level!

I agree that Hall lacks that dynamic element to his game that we have seen in other backs who top their class, but I don't necessarily see that dynamic element  in any of these incoming rookie backs.

@socrates the last paragraph also pours some pretty cold water on how Keith Sanchez views Breece Hall as an NFL prospect:

The NFL draft is all about drafting prospects in the round that their skill set dictates. While I don’t believe that Hall is a first or second-round draft pick, I do believe that teams looking for a running back in the fourth round and beyond should strongly consider him.

socrates said:
"This seems to be a four-man race between Alabama’s Brian Robinson Jr., Michigan State’s Kenneth Walker III, Texas A&M’s Isaiah Spiller, and Iowa State’s Breece Hall. Each of these four running backs can make a case to be the No. 1 guy."

I thought I liked Brian Robinson, Jr. more than most, but this author has definitely taken the Robinson love up another level!

I agree that Hall lacks that dynamic element to his game that we have seen in other backs who top their class, but I don't necessarily see that dynamic element  in any of these incoming rookie backs.
Yeah GTFO out with Brian Robinson. I’m looking at Breece vs Burks right now at 1.01 

Early 2022 NFL Draft Top 10 Running Backs (Fantasy Football)

Excerpt:

Breece Hall (RB – Iowa St,  6’1″ 220)

The top three backs in this class sit grouped closely together at this point, and their landing spots likely emerge as a determining factor. Hall currently sits at the top of the class after clearing 1,750 scrimmage yards and 20 touchdowns in back-to-back seasons. Hall has drawn frequent comparisons to David Montgomery with slightly more athleticism, nodding their shared Iowa St roots. Hall has the size to profile to a lead-back NFL role, though he potentially lacks the extra level of explosion and refinement to push him into the draft’s first round. He is going very high in Superflex rookie mock drafts and would solidify that position with a prime landing spot like Arizona or Buffalo.

Yeah GTFO out with Brian Robinson. I’m looking at Breece vs Burks right now at 1.01 
People will squawk at Breece’s long speed, but not me.  He has plenty of juice to hit the edges.  His best traits is his vision and contact balance, which are more important than long speed.  I mean, how many 70 yard runs happen anyway?  I’ll take the 10 to 15 yard run any day.  He goes for the edges too much however.

People will squawk at Breece’s long speed, but not me.  He has plenty of juice to hit the edges.  His best traits is his vision and contact balance, which are more important than long speed.  I mean, how many 70 yard runs happen anyway?  I’ll take the 10 to 15 yard run any day.  He goes for the edges too much however.
I just hope he isn't slow. As long as he's decent, he is a strong prospect. He's not Jon Taylor, Zeke, Saquon level but he's really good. A + version of Montgomery seems to be the obvious comp. 

The NFL Network's LaDainian Tomlinson comps former Iowa State RB Breece Hall to Jamaal Charles, calling him the best running back of the 2022 NFL Draft class.

Tomlinson has seen some football in his day, and had high praise for Hall's (6'1/220) vision, footwork and contact balance, saying that he reminds of as former Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles. Hall has proven to possess a lot of these qualities that Tomlinson suggested, as evidenced by his stats per PFF.com. Hall rushed for 1,460 yards and 20 touchdowns last season at Iowa State, and also had 74 missed tackles while racking up 53.3% on breakaway rushes of 15 or more yards. 

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 23, 2022, 8:34 PM ET

NFL Network draft analyst Bucky Brooks has Iowa State RB Breece Hall as his top-rated back in the 2022 draft class.

Hall (6'1/220) has been a really good back for the Cyclones over the course of his career and it shows across the industry in their pre-draft rankings. Brooks elaborated on his decision "Hall is an ultra-productive runner with outstanding vision and quick feet. He displays exceptional stop-start quickness in the hole while flashing enough speed to take it the distance in the open field." With his true home run hitting ability, Hall looks like the ideal RB1 to man an NFL backfield.

SOURCE: nfl.com

Feb 24, 2022, 9:06 PM ET

Underrated class at RB. Hate to break it to people, but this is a very underrated class in general. Testing is confirming what our eyes didn't pick up from the WRs. The RBs look good on tape. Let's see if it holds tomorrow. 
The QB class is weak and that hurts the top of the draft. I think it is a really deep draft. I see a ton of difference makers going in the 2nd thus year

Underrated class at RB. Hate to break it to people, but this is a very underrated class in general. Testing is confirming what our eyes didn't pick up from the WRs. The RBs look good on tape. Let's see if it holds tomorrow. 
With few if any teams likely to draft an RB that highly, guys like Hall who, while not top notch, can be solid starters in the league, are going to really mess up some incumbent situations for us. 

Last edited by a moderator:
unofficial 4.44? Yeah he has a chance to be a 1st round pick. If Arizona or Miami takes him 1st round and this is a special 1.01
I'm assuming not official on the time but I'm a huge fan of the jumps for RB so if I lose some on the time I'll still walk away impressed so far.

Obviously landing spot will matter but but he was already early favorite for 1.1 for me and using redraft as some type of guide was going 1.5 rounds over next rookie so seemed to be early favorite and has helped himself.

He's got a lot of really good positives, checks a ton of boxes and not a lot of negatives,  if he can finish this with a big landing sot, and second round is fine with me, I think he'll actually be a fairly highly coveted player, like a mid second round type startup guy. That's with a big time landing spot of course.

Better athlete than I expected. This guy probably would have been RB1 in last year's class too (comparing them as prospects). Should be the consensus favorite for 1.01 after the combine.

According to The Draft Network, Iowa State RB Breece Hall recorded a 40" vertical jump at the combine.

Hall (6'1/220) is trying to become the best running back in an RB class that doesn't have a clear-cut top-tier guy. So far the former Cyclones runner is showing off his athleticism as he was the only running back to get to the big 4-0 on the vertical leap. He has the size to be an NFL running back, and the great vision to find the lanes, his 5.8 yards per carry shows that. If continues to test well and athletically dominates his class, he could be moving into this RB1 spot.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 4, 2022, 8:12 PM ET

Iowa State RB Breece Hall posted an official time of 4.39 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine.

Hall led all backs with a 40-inch vertical to go along with a 10-foot, 6-inch broad jump. With Isaiah Spiller not running, this likely solidifies Hall's chances of being the first running back drafted, potentially as a Day 1 pick. Wherever the two-time All American lands he'll be a threat to be a Week 1 starter. Hall's size (6'1/220) and college production (50 career touchdowns) project for a three-down role.

Mar 4, 2022, 11:25 PM ET

Where the hell did that come from. There was talk Hall was a 4.55 kind of guy. Like another David Montgomery. Instead, he's out here putting up Adrian Peterson numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread