What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Isaiah Spiller, LAC (1 Viewer)

Texas A&M redshirt sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 8 times for 20 yards while also catching six passes for 56 yards and a touchdown in a 10-7 victory over Colorado this Saturday.

With starting QB Haynes King knocked out of the game after throwing just two passes, Colorado sold out to stop the run and intended to make backup Zach Calzada beat them. Their plan worked well, as they held Spiller (6'1/225) to just 20 yards on eight carries. However Spiller was able to affect the outcome in other ways, catching a well-thrown end zone fade pass on a well-designed wheel route for the game-winning 18-yard touchdown reception. It was a signature play that will be rerun on many NFL Draft scouting tapes next April when it comes time to evaluate Spiller's draft capital. 

Sep 12, 2021, 12:40 AM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 15 times for 117 yards and a touchdown in a 34-0 blowout of New Mexico on Saturday.

Spiller (6'1/225) had his traditionally strong performance, averaging 7.8 yards per carry while punishing opposing tacklers with his aggressive running style. The blue-chip running back's power was on full-display when he powered his way through two New Mexico defenders to penetrate the goal line for a five-yard touchdown. Spiller shared carries with Devon Achane, who also snagged a 26-yard touchdown reception of his own. Texas A&M gets Arkansas next week in their SEC opener.

Sep 18, 2021, 6:13 PM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 12 times for 95 yards and at touchdown and also caught five passes for 26 yards in the Aggies 20-10 loss to Arkansas.

Spiller (6'1"/225) tried his best, but the Arkansas defense was simply too much for the Aggies to deal with. Beyond the one carry that he busted for 67 yards through a rather large hole between center and guard, the A&M offensive line was constantly manhandled with Spiller struggling to find any running room at all. Despite that, Spiller looked impressive. He showed immense patience and vision, two of the least teachable skills, to scrape out whatever yards he possibly could with multiple swarming defenders in his face as soon as he touched the ball. His best run of the day wasn't his touchdown, but a run early in the first quarter. Spiller received the handoff on a run intended to go left, saw a massive wall of Razorbacks waiting for him and managed to turn on a dime and cut up to the right for a gain. Spiller was a lot of the offense in this one, and the Aggies really should've put the ball in his hands more. Spiller will almost certainly get more carries next week against Mississippi State. 

Sep 25, 2021, 8:44 PM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 16 times for 100 yards in Saturday's 26-22 loss to Mississippi State.

Spiller (6'1"/225) was the best player tonight for Texas A&M as Zach Calzada could not get anything done in the passing game. To get 100 rushing yards against the Miss State run defense is an accomplishment. Going into this game Miss State was ranked eighth in rushing yards allowed per game (70.8). The Aggie will host Alabama next Saturday.

Oct 3, 2021, 12:12 AM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 20 times for 168 yards and a touchdown in a 35-14 win over Missouri.

Spiller (6'1/225) is the latest of a long line of talented running backs to absolutely dominate the morose Missouri front-seven, as he tuned them up for his fourth, 100-yard game of the season. His lone 48-yard touchdown run was a beauty too, as Spiller took an inside handoff through a mile-wide hole before he masterfully setup the converging safety with a deft cut that literally spun the Mizzou defender around, allowing the Aggies' bell cow to stroll into the end zone for the score. He will look to clear the century mark for the fifth time this season next week against South Carolina.

Oct 16, 2021, 10:41 PM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller ushed 18 times for 102 yards and a touchdown in a 44-14 win against South Carolina on Saturday.

This now gives Spiller (6'1"/225) over 100 yards in back-to-back games and a touchdown in three straight. The Aggies have a spoil of riches in the backfield. This wasn't even the best performance for a Texas A&M running back this week. Devon Achane out-gained Spiller with 154 rushing yards. A&M has a shot at winning the SEC West. They are just a game behind Auburn and Mississippi, who they both play in the next two games. If they win out and Alabama loses, they would own the tiebreaker and play in the SEC title game.

Oct 24, 2021, 8:03 PM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller rushed 21 times for 113 yards in Texas A&M's 20-3 win over Auburn.

Spiller (6'1"/225) was probably the best offensive player in the game, but that's not saying much in a game where the defenses very much dominated. Spiller seemingly either got a double digit gain or no gain at all, but his big gains were key in the slow, grinding game. Spiller got 40 yards on three carries to lead A&M to a field goal in the 4th quarter that made the score 9-3. It wasn't technically needed, but it helped secure the game. Spiller has made it over 100 yards in three straight games now, and has been a steady, if not explosive, presence on a mediocre A&M offense. He draws Ole Miss next week, which should be an easier group to run against. 

Nov 6, 2021, 8:56 PM ET

Texas A&M sophomore RB Isaiah Spiller has declared for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Spiller (6'1/225) wraps up a dominant season at Texas A&M where he totaled 2,993 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns while also catching 64 passes for 585 yards and a touchdown. This season, Spiller led the Aggies in rushing with 179 carries for 1,011 yards and six touchdowns, with his biggest game coming against Missouri, when he rushed 20 times for 168 yards and a touchdown in a 35-14 win. Spiller is the 85th ranked player on Pro Football Focus' Top-100 NFL Draft Big Board.

SOURCE: Isaiah Spiller on Twitter

Dec 14, 2021, 1:37 PM ET

Don't really like what I'm reading, as far as being a top 3 dynasty rookie pick.
I don’t know how well respected Bleacherreports scouting department is but if you do a Google search you’ll find some scouts that like him as the #1 RB in this class. You should enjoy that read. 

The main thing that worries me about this guy is his height. Prefer my backs to be around 5’10 than over 6’. 

Those that raise a question mark about volume (never having 200 carries), Jimbo Fisher was head coach at Fla  St. for 7 years and only Dalvin Cook had over 200 carries.  I believe he's only had one since then.  I'm not a fan of RBs over 5'11", but that hardly is a deal breaker.  He has great open field agility.  His vision is great and the burst is there.   I believe he will be competent in the receiving game.  He's not fast, but he has a verified 4.58.  He is plenty explosive enough.  He has the ability to break and run upfield when running laterally and does it quickly.  Not a lot of wasted motion when he cuts and run.  Great feet.    However, sometimes he's an inpatient runner, but that can be coached.  He leads college football in 10+ yard runs.  I'm not concerned about the 70 yard run.  Most of the runs in the NFL are between 4 and 10 yards.  He could be the type of RB that improves greatly in year 3 than year 1.  He will be the youngest RB in the league when he is drafted.  He won't turn 21 until August.   Breece Hall is probably more NFL ready, but don't be surprised if Spiller turns out to be better than Hall eventually.  I wasn't a Spiller believer initially and I still think he has some running issues, but I'm a lot more open minded regarding Spiller now.  I would probably take Spiller over Walker.

At 2.18, Miami could have a choice of the top 3 RBs, Spiller, Walker and Hall.  Will they draft a RB this high after just missing out on JK Dobbins when the Ravens selected him 1 pick before Miami in 2020? I don't think they would've selected Javonte Williams in 2021 even if the Broncos hadn't traded up since they were very high on Holland. But they missed out on some RBs drafted in the 4th round or later who would've been major upgrades, such as Carter, Stevenson, Gainwell, and Herbert. 

It'll be interesting to see how Miami and McDaniel approach the RB position in the draft.

Those that raise a question mark about volume (never having 200 carries), Jimbo Fisher was head coach at Fla  St. for 7 years and only Dalvin Cook had over 200 carries.  I believe he's only had one since then.  I'm not a fan of RBs over 5'11", but that hardly is a deal breaker.  He has great open field agility.  His vision is great and the burst is there.   I believe he will be competent in the receiving game.  He's not fast, but he has a verified 4.58.  He is plenty explosive enough.  He has the ability to break and run upfield when running laterally and does it quickly.  Not a lot of wasted motion when he cuts and run.  Great feet.    However, sometimes he's an inpatient runner, but that can be coached.  He leads college football in 10+ yard runs.  I'm not concerned about the 70 yard run.  Most of the runs in the NFL are between 4 and 10 yards.  He could be the type of RB that improves greatly in year 3 than year 1.  He will be the youngest RB in the league when he is drafted.  He won't turn 21 until August.   Breece Hall is probably more NFL ready, but don't be surprised if Spiller turns out to be better than Hall eventually.  I wasn't a Spiller believer initially and I still think he has some running issues, but I'm a lot more open minded regarding Spiller now.  I would probably take Spiller over Walker.
things will almost certainly change in the next few months, but right now he’s my top target at 1.04 (superflex). 

Texas A&M RB Isaiah Spiller was the top ranked RB in DraftWire's latest positional rankings.

Spiller (6'1"/225) was ranked ahead of the usual RBs like Breece Hall and Kenneth Walker III, who took the second and third spots respectively. He was also ahead of all of the CFP RBs, with Brian Robinson of Alabama ranked fourth, James Cook of Georgia ranked sixth, Jerome Ford of Cincinnati ranked seventh and finally Hassan Haskins of Michigan ranked 10th. It's not the strongest RB class ever seen, but it's still notable for Spiller to take the top spot with less relative success than many of his peers in the 2021 season. Spiller ran 1011 yards and six touchdowns and added 189 yards and a score receiving. 

SOURCE: Luke Easterling on DraftWire

Feb 14, 2022, 2:20 PM ET

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

Isaiah Spiller is one of the more complete RBs in this draft class, he’s a true 3-down back who can ignite an NFL offense. A quick thread on his all-around skill set. 

1) He can run between the tackles and break off long runs with massive acceleration
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497441130748649476?s=21

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

2) He can make something out of nothing. He has the ability to create plays in less than ideal situations. The blitzing defender has him dead to rights
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497441658043916296?s=21

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

3) He’s tough and he fights for extra yards. He’s not a bruiser but he brings the contact. Also notice his patience, vision, and burst
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497442515582009345?s=21

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

4) As a pass catcher he’s excellent with his hands, runs conventional RB routes very well, and is great after the catch finding running lanes and making defenders miss. He doesn’t line up outside a lot but that seems to be more about scheme
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497443277523472387?s=21

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

5) And for a 3-down back you must also be able to block, which Spiller does very well picking up the blitzing LB and working to stay square. He’s not getting the highest pass blocking grade but it’s good enough to keep him on the field all the time
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497443882107166722?s=21

Tommy Mo @2on1FFB

6) Lastly, he’s versatile and he’s a team player. In 2020 he even played the Marcus Allen role at times and lined up as a fullback. Just shows he’s willing to do whatever it takes to be on the field. Spiller is a great prospect and should be a Day 2 draft pick
https://twitter.com/2on1ffb/status/1497444371158822912?s=21

NFL COMBINE 2022 DRILLS: RB WINNERS AND LOSERS

Excerpt:

Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M

In the conversation to be the first ball-carrier off the board, Isaiah Spiller disappointed Friday. A 30-inch vert and 9-foot-6 broad are ugly, ugly numbers to post, especially when you opt-out of the 40. While his film remains in the forefront of scouts’ evaluation process, at 6-foot and 217 pounds, those measurables won’t sit well with teams when it comes down to separating RB prospects.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Isaiah Spiller did NFL combine drills with a "strained abductor muscle that limited his training."

Spiller, among the top running back prospects in the 2022 draft class, gutted out the combine drills despite the muscle injury, per his agent. Spiller is expected to run at Texas A&M's pro day in a couple weeks. He recorded a 9'6" broad jump and 30 inches vertical jump at the combine while forgoing the 40-yard dash and the three-cone drill. Spiller -- connected to the Dolphins in early mock drafts -- ran 1,011 yards and six touchdowns in 2021, adding 189 yards and a score receiving.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 5, 2022, 2:14 PM ET

According to Kyle Crabbs, he has Texas A&M RB Isaiah Spiller as the top-graded running back on the big board.

Spiller's (6'1"/225) draft stock took a dip after the combine due to not participating in some drills because of a strained abductor muscle. Also, the impressive numbers of Breece Hall got scouts excited and that pushed him to the top of running back rankings. A fully healthy Spiller participated in the Texas A&M pro day and put some good numbers including a 4.6 40-yard dash and a 35.5 vertical leap. Unlike a Hall or a Kenneth Walker, Spiller has also excelled in the passing game and when looking for a three-down back, that is what will set him apart from his peers. The Draft Networks Kyle Crabbs believes Spiller is the best running back available in the draft with an 85/100 grade, right above Walker's 82.5/100. There hasn't been much talk of a running back going in the first round this year and recently Hall has made it into some conversations, but will Spillers showing off his athleticism, he may swoop into those Day 1 talks.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Mar 26, 2022, 1:07 PM ET

Texas A&M RB Isaiah Spiller has the most runs of 10+ yards by an SEC RB since 2020.

Spiller's (6'1"/225) numbers at the combine should not deter a team from having an interest in the running back, especially as it was revealed he had a strained abductor muscle. During his pro day, he was looked good in his drills. Although a 4.6 40-yard dash isn't lighting the stopwatch on fire, he has the breakaway speed for someone of his size and 63 rushes of ten or more yards over the last two seasons proves it. Unlike some of the other top running backs available, he has a proven track of being impactful in the passing game and that should set him apart and be selected as the first rusher off the board.

SOURCE: PFF College

Mar 27, 2022, 3:11 PM ET

Not a kind off-season for his stock. Me thinks he’s sliding too far. Landing spot and draft capital matter but I’m getting the sense that Spiller could be a steal as some are starting to drop him below 3rd Rb in his class. 

Why Breece Hall Could be the Next Jonathan Taylor

Excerpt:

Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M

BackCAST Score: +48.0%
Type of Back: Balanced
Similar Historical Prospects: Mewelde Moore, Dion Lewis

Isaiah Spiller is the last of the four similarly-rated prospects after Breece Hall. Of the four, Spiller has the worst size-speed combination—he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds at 217 pounds. Spiller, however, makes up for his measurables with production. Spiller had the highest workload of the group of four, recording 541 carries in three years with the Aggies.

Spiller, White, Allgeier, and Walker all have similar BackCAST projections. A shrewd team might want to wait and pick whichever one requires the least draft capital.

How on earth do you compare Spiller to Antonio Gibson? Gibson was around a 4.4 and athletic as all get-out. He was athletic and toolsy. Spiller is clocking in at least at a 4.64, maybe more. His burst stinks. 

Not saying Spiller won't be good, or that combine is everything, but you're comparing a collegiate workhorse with limited athleticism to a guy who barely saw the ball at Memphis but tested off the charts. 

Seems like every year before the combine I hear talk about how we shouldn't let the combine scores (underwear olympics) affect our value on players too much like we normally do every other year.  And then like clockwork people rise and fall based on the numbers instead of years of actual game tape. 

I see more value when we're trying to determine how good someone from a small school is since we may not have seen them that much or think that they've played against inferior competition.  Spiller has been successful in the SEC and has been on our radar for a while and was generally, highly thought of up until a lackluster combine / pro day performance in which he may have had some lingering injury effects. 

I'm not saying that Isaiah Spiller is going to be Jonathan Taylor but, based on his ADP drop, I think I'm going to end up drafting him in a few places.  Will be very interesting to see what he can / can't do in the NFL after this up and down transitional period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to end up drafting him in a few places
I'm hoping he does fall. Our SP mock had him at eight. I have the 1.09 in my main league. I'd be tickled provided he has draft capital and stays on the board. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And then like clockwork people rise and fall based on the numbers instead of years of actual game tape
I have to address this. I think what evaluators do is use the timing exercises as a cutoff point to weed guys out rather than bump their stock. In other words, a 4.4 doesn't guarantee success, but a 4.7 precludes success. Or some number like that. Whatever number it is, it's a negative screen. 

I have to address this. I think what evaluators do is use the timing exercises as a cutoff point to weed guys out rather than bump their stock. In other words, a 4.4 doesn't guarantee success, but a 4.7 precludes success. Or some number like that. Whatever number it is, it's a negative screen. 
There are a few outliers such as Le'Veon Bell who went 4.6 in 40 yards but he had fantastic quickness as attested by his 3-cone (6.75).  

The only concern I have with Spiller is not getting enough touches last year with Devon Achane taking more touches. 

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports Texas A&M RB Isaiah Spiller "has drawn heavy interest" from teams during the pre-draft process.

Wilson reports that Spiller (6'1/225) visited with the Texans, Buccaneers and Bills, while also holding virtual meetings with the Ravens and Packers. The Falcons and Commanders are also reportedly interested in Spiller, who some analysts have ranked as the top RB of the 2022 class. In three seasons at Texas A&M, Spiller totaled 541 carries for 2,993 yards and 25 touchdowns, and added another 74 receptions for 585 yards and one score.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Apr 22, 2022, 4:10 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread