What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR George Pickens, PIT (1 Viewer)

Ouch. Top WR for next years draft. Imagine he won’t play much next fall. Does this make him a 2023 draft pick?

Ouch. Top WR for next years draft. Imagine he won’t play much next fall. Does this make him a 2023 draft pick?
Hard to say just yet at this juncture; however, if he recovers from the injury with no major issues or complications (which should be the case with an ACL tear), then he will likely get feedback from the NFL Draft Advisory board that he will still be a first round draft pick - in which case he should declare for the 2022 NFL Draft in my opinion.

Georgia sophomore WR George Pickens (knee) is still a long way from returning, but was seen participating in practice and running routes. 

Pickens (6'3"/200) is (unsurprisingly) still recovering from the ACL injury sustained in March, but was seen running routes and catching balls at Georgia's practice for the first time since the injury. Despite that, Pickens is reportedly still a long way away from returning, and did his running with a leg brace still on. Still, it's encouraging that he's taken this step. Pickens is an extremely high rated prospect and will give the Bulldogs another offensive dimension if he is able to return towards the end of season. 

SOURCE: Seth Emerson on Twitter

Sep 20, 2021, 6:24 PM ET

Georgia sophomore WR George Pickens (ACL) is warming up ahead of Saturday's game against Georgia Tech. 

Pickens (6'3/200), who tore his ACL in March, has yet to appear in a game this season. The sophomore was working with third-string WR Mekhi Mews in warmups for Saturday's regular season finale. Combine this with the fact that he did not play despite dressing out for last weekend's win over Charleston Southern, and there's no guarantee that Pickens plays at all on Saturday. As for next weekend's SEC Championship Game matchup with Alabama, that could be an entirely different matter. 

SOURCE: Seth Emerson on Twitter

Nov 27, 2021, 11:48 AM ET

Georgia sophomore WR George Pickens (ACL) is still not at 100%.

Pickens (6'3/200) has played the last two weeks, catching one pass against Georgia Tech and two against Alabama. It was evident in watching him that he was just a step behind where he was last year, and head coach Kirby Smart expanded on that. Smart talked about how players don't just get all of the nuances back right away and that it takes reps to get back. He also said that he's not all the way back yet, but he's gotten a lot of reps in the last four to five practices. That should get Georgia fans excited, as Pickens will add another element to an offense that needs it.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Dec 22, 2021, 12:37 AM ET

I absolutely love this player and think he has the makings of a multiple year pro bowler.

He'll be one to watch during the pre-draft process and during the college football playoff.

I absolutely love this player and think he has the makings of a multiple year pro bowler.

He'll be one to watch during the pre-draft process and during the college football playoff.
Seems to be healing slowly.

Georgia junior WR George Pickens declared for the NFL Draft.

In somewhat of a surprise move, Pickens (6'3/200) declared for the NFL Draft on Friday. He tore his ACL at the end of March and didn't return to the field until the final regular-season game in thanksgiving weekend. In his play this season, Pickens never appeared to be at 100%, but his excellent ball tracking ability didn't change, as he used it to make a spectacular catch in the National Championship Game. With a great predraft process, Pickens has an opportunity to rise with a great pre-draft process, as he was viewed early in the season by some as the top wide receiver off the board.

SOURCE: Jordan Reid

Jan 14, 2022, 6:24 PM ET

Georgia WR Pickens is confident he'll adjust to the NFL quickly, given Georgia's pro-style offense.

Pickens (6'3"/200) was a surprise declaree for the Draft. He had a stellar freshman season, but lost basically all of last year to an ACL injury and never seemed fully healthy. He still has the catching ability that made him so exciting after his 2019 season, but it is also a strong WR class and he simply doesn't have the tape that guys like Garrett Wilson, Treylon Burks and Jameson Williams do. One advantage he does have though, is his pro-readiness. He said Georgia OC Todd Monken's playbook was the exact same one he used with the Cleveland Browns in 2019, so his transition into the NFL should be faster than just about anyone else's. 

SOURCE: Thor Nystrom on Twitter

Mar 2, 2022, 1:19 PM ET

Georgia WR George Pickens jumped 33" in the vertical jump on Thursday at the combine.

After missing the majority of 2021 with a torn ACL, Pickens (6'3/200) needed to have himself a big day. Known for how great he is at the catch point and tracking the ball, the speed and general athleticism was a question mark. Jumping 33" is not the start that Pickens was hoping for, as Jack Coan jumped the same distance. Because Pickens is less than a year removed from ACL surgery, watching his pro day numbers will be worth monitoring more so than most prospects.

SOURCE: Marcus Mosher

Mar 3, 2022, 7:44 PM ET

4.43 unofficial fellas, according to Twitter, with a brutal start, apparently.  

Last edited by a moderator:
And...now a 4.4 flat. 

Can you say first off the board? Or is that Olave? Or is that Wilson? Or is that Burks? 

Like 7 ish I bet but draft capital may drive the WRs of round 1 even more than usual
I was thinking that it depends on your league. Like, if the guys in your league value Hall and Spiller and Walker and choose accordingly, then six or seven sounds about right. 

I was thinking that it depends on your league. Like, if the guys in your league value Hall and Spiller and Walker and choose accordingly, then six or seven sounds about right. 
I would imagine those 3 rb go top 5 in most drafts barring some terrible landing spot or something 

Georgia WR George Pickens ran an unofficial time of 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. 

In other words, Pickens can move for a wideout who checks in at 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. Pickens did disappoint, relatively speaking, with a 33-inch vertical jump, though perhaps some rust is to be expected for a player who missed most of 2021 as he recovered from a torn ACL. Limited to 41 grabs in 12 games over the past two years due to injury, Pickens will be a young rookie (21) with risk to match his potential reward. 

SOURCE: NFL on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2022, 9:40 PM ET

I would imagine those 3 rb go top 5 in most drafts barring some terrible landing spot or something 
I'd like to see ADP right now on that, just out of curiosity. I think Walker is rated around sixth-eighth by most services right now, but rankings do not reflect ADP necessarily. At all. 

Does this change anyone's mind concerning Pickens, or is this well behind him now?

Has a number of off-the-field issues - he was suspended for violating team rules and has been ejected for punching another player. He has been called undisciplined by his own head coach - this will likely scare a number of NFL teams off

Does this change anyone's mind concerning Pickens, or is this well behind him now?

Has a number of off-the-field issues - he was suspended for violating team rules and has been ejected for punching another player. He has been called undisciplined by his own head coach - this will likely scare a number of NFL teams off
I think teams will have to factor Pickens' past into the equation when drafting him.  The off-field issues aside, a lack of discipline on the field and in the practice facility can short circuit the career of even the most talented receiver.  Pickens has the talent to be a very good NFL receiver, but it takes more than talent.  I understand Pickens worked diligently to rehab from knee surgery, and that reflects well on his dedication and mental toughness.  Let's hope this is a sign he has turned the corner and matured.

PFF's Austin Gayle compared Georgia WR George Pickens to former Chargers WR Tyrell Williams.

Pickens (6'3/200) feels like a throwback receiver. He is a true deep threat that excels using his size to snag the ball in contested catch situations. His route tree needs some development, but the effort and dynamic ability to come down with the football is something that teams will want to take advantage of. Williams was a similar player that never quite became the well-rounded receiver that he was projected to be. If Pickens can develop in those areas, he can be a true WR1.

SOURCE: Austin Gayle

Apr 2, 2022, 12:29 AM ET

USA Today's Glenn Erby reports Georgia WR George Pickens has met with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Eagles have aggressively drafted wide receivers, selecting Alabama's Devonta Smith in the first round of the 2021 draft and TCU's Jalen Reagor in the first round of the 2020 draft. Philly has been rumored to be interested in a receiver again in this year's draft, especially with Reagor looking like a bust. Pickens (6'3/200) may not draw first round draft capital, but the Eagles also carry the 51st overall pick.

SOURCE: USA Today

Apr 12, 2022, 8:46 PM ET

Per PFF's charting, Georgia WR George Pickens has the majority of targets on two routes.

Pickens (6'3/200) wasn't utilized very much at Georgia. The run-first approach for the Bulldogs worked in bringing a national championship to Athens but developing and utilizing a great prospect like Pickens was subpar at best. In the limited usage that Pickens did receive, he was targeted heavily on two routes. Per PFF, he was targeted 34% of the time on go routes and 33% on hitches. With the other 33%, the highest any other route had was 7% (out). When he gets to the NFL, route running will need to be a focus for the fringe first-round selection.

SOURCE: Austin Gayle

Apr 14, 2022, 9:09 PM ET

I remain steadfast in my belief (and I posted this is December) that Pickens will be a pro bowl caliber player. He's an elite athlete and can high point the ball exceptionally well. Given that he was hurt and played on a team not particularly pass happy will cause him to slip. Simply put, his game translates to the NFL. I know a lot of folks don't love him, but from what I've seen, he's got the "it" factor. He's a mismatch on every route he runs

Not that you have to, given the likely second or third round grade, the only receiver I like more than Pickens in this class is Jameson Williams. I'd take Pickens above both Ohio St. guys, C. Wilson, S. Moore, etc...

Sometimes to just watch the games and get a strong feeling about a player, it's more instinctive than evaluative, and I can't justify it based upon dutiful tape study or number crunching metrics, but what I saw this guy do as a freshman at Georgia sees a distinguished NFL career ahead. 

^^^ Agreed.

I see the Chiefs taking Pickens and the MSU RB with their two late-first rounders. And laughing all the way to the bank as they steal two perennial All-Pros.

PFF's Sam Monson wrote that Georgia WR George Pickens might be the most undervalued WR in the draft.

After missing most of the season with a torn ACL suffered in spring practice, Pickens (6'3/200) missed the opportunity to take a big leap this year. Monson noted that in his piece while also saying that his college career consisted of just 139 targets. What is really appealing is that he has the ideal size and speed of an X receiver and caught 68.8% of his contested catches. With Pickens having a full offseason healthy, he will be ready to thrive in year one.

SOURCE: PFF

Apr 19, 2022, 8:57 PM ET

Georgia WR George Pickens has posted one of the lowest drop rates in the SEC over his career.

It wasn't long ago that Sam Monson of PFF said Pickens (6'3/200) may be the most undervalued wideout in the 2022 NFL Draft. Pickens may partially be overlooked because of the time he missed after a torn ACL suffered in spring practice. But it is safe to say Pickens made the most of the time he did see on the field and had some of the best hands in the Southeastern Conference, posting the second-lowest drop rate in the SEC since 2019 (2.1%). That put him behind only Mississippi State's Austin Williams (0.9%).

Apr 21, 2022, 2:04 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread