What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Jaelon Darden, Bucs (1 Viewer)

North Texas senior WR Jaelon Darden has declared for the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Normally, senior would not need to do this. They would effectively be signed up automatically. However, a new NCAA ruling related to COVID allows players to retain this year of eligibility, so seniors such as Darden could technically stay in school rather than go to the NFL. Darden, coming off a red hot senior year, will not be sticking around at the college level, though. Darden is a bit small at 5-foot-9 and 173-pounds, but he showcases outrageous speed and could be a threat in an offense that understands the value of him stretching the field. Darden is expected to be a Day 3 pick or UDFA. 

SOURCE: Jaelon Darden on Twitter

Dec 13, 2020, 1:27 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug: Every article I see says he showed out. I guess he could have been faster. But I think his edge is his acceleration. But I didn't see if they tracked his splits.
He wasn't bad, just for a guy from such a small school and who is such a small guy, I felt that he needed to really stand out more as an athlete. You are probably right that the Pro Day should be neutral to his value. He's actually kind of a discount Elijah Moore. He's just a little smaller, little slower, a little less burst. The big difference is obviously quality of teammates and opponent. 

Buccaneers traded up with the Seahawks to select North Texas WR Jaelon Darden with the No. 129 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft

The Seahawks get the No. 137 and No. 217 overall picks in the deal. Listed at 5'9/174, Darden actually tacked on weight after arriving at North Texas as a 157-lb slot receiver in 2018 and exits as the school’s all-time leader in receptions (230), receiving yards (2,782) and receiving scores (38). That additional weight only elevated his explosiveness, helping him total an FBS-high 23 broken tackles in 2020 with back-to-back 200-plus yard games sandwiched in between. Darden's build as a vertical slot receiver (career 90.7% snaps there) is one that NFL teams covet nowadays. He also has the gaudy production numbers that Tampa Bay seems to look for in their late-round receivers. Darden joins a crowded receiving room with Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller, and Justin Watson all making infrequent appearances in the lineup last year. He'll need to contribute on special teams to hang on the roster because of how deep Tampa runs at receiver.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

May 1, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

Bucs signed fourth-round WR Jaelon Darden to a four-year contract.

Listed at 5'9/174, Darden actually tacked on weight after arriving at North Texas as a 157-lb slot receiver in 2018 and exits as the school’s all-time leader in receptions (230), receiving yards (2,782) and receiving scores (38). That additional weight only elevated his explosiveness, helping him total an FBS-high 23 broken tackles in 2020 with back-to-back 200-plus yard games sandwiched in between. Darden's build as a vertical slot receiver (career 90.7% snaps there) is one that NFL teams covet nowadays. He also has the gaudy production numbers that Tampa Bay seems to look for in their late-round receivers. Darden joins a crowded receiving room with Tyler Johnson, Scotty Miller, and Justin Watson all making infrequent appearances in the lineup last year. He'll need to contribute on special teams to hang on the roster because of how deep Tampa runs at receiver.

May 19, 2021, 1:47 PM ET

Pewter Report @PewterReport

#Bucs OC Byron Leftwich says that Jaelon Darden has very similar mannerisms to Antonio Brown. It's all on the college tape.  He's very similar to how he plays. It'll be good that they're in the room together.
https://twitter.com/pewterreport/status/1400489876374671361?s=21

I know that Byron Leftwich is only thinking about the benefits of having Darden learn the on field work ethic and habits that Antonio Brown had earlier in his career; but I don’t know if having them in the same room together so that Brown can mentor him or having Brown be a role model can be described as “good.” 

The Bucs have high hopes for Darden as an eventual downfield threat, but given the depth the team enjoyed at receiver most of the season, 2021 was more about acclimating the North Texas product to the speed of the NFL. That was primarily accomplished through getting Darden consistent work on returns as the season unfolded, and his solid efforts in that capacity helped lead to the eventual cut of fellow wideout/returner Jaydon Mickens. Darden should have more opportunities than the 87 total snaps he logged from scrimmage during his rookie campaign come 2022, particularly if Chris Godwin (knee) and Breshad Perriman (hip) depart via free agency.

I can see Darden making a big step forward if Godwin is gone and is someone to target this off-season.  Brady is gone, so we will have to see who they bring in if Trask isn't the guy.  He was free off the waiver wire in all my leagues.

JohnnyU said:
The Bucs have high hopes for Darden as an eventual downfield threat, but given the depth the team enjoyed at receiver most of the season, 2021 was more about acclimating the North Texas product to the speed of the NFL. That was primarily accomplished through getting Darden consistent work on returns as the season unfolded, and his solid efforts in that capacity helped lead to the eventual cut of fellow wideout/returner Jaydon Mickens. Darden should have more opportunities than the 87 total snaps he logged from scrimmage during his rookie campaign come 2022, particularly if Chris Godwin (knee) and Breshad Perriman (hip) depart via free agency.

I can see Darden making a big step forward if Godwin is gone and is someone to target this off-season.  Brady is gone, so we will have to see who they bring in if Trask isn't the guy.  He was free off the waiver wire in all my leagues.
I am a huge Darden fan.  I would be more excited about Darden emerging if Brady was coming back, however.  Darden may be limited to a gadget role, although he has the deep speed to be a threat down the field.  Even with Antonio Brown gone, and Godwin and Gronk possibly departing, etc., Tampa Bay still has a deep, talented corps of receivers, so it is going to be difficult for Darden to break through.

As a free addition to your dynasty roster, Darden is very intriguing.

He is absolutely terrible. Falls down all the time, can’t get timing down on deep routes. What do you all like on him? The Bucs had a gaping hole in the playoffs at WR and he couldn’t even come close to making a difference. One of the worst rookies I’ve seen on the Bucs in a long time. I don’t think he’s even worth a roster spot on the Bucs much less somebody’s fantasy team. 

He is absolutely terrible. Falls down all the time, can’t get timing down on deep routes. What do you all like on him? The Bucs had a gaping hole in the playoffs at WR and he couldn’t even come close to making a difference. One of the worst rookies I’ve seen on the Bucs in a long time. I don’t think he’s even worth a roster spot on the Bucs much less somebody’s fantasy team. 
I liked his prospect tape but the times that I caught him on the field I didn’t see anything impressive. Looked undersized and not as quick as his tape would have suggested. I would be interested as well what promise others saw in him.

I liked his prospect tape but the times that I caught him on the field I didn’t see anything impressive. Looked undersized and not as quick as his tape would have suggested. I would be interested as well what promise others saw in him.
I don't know if he will be any good or not.  I was just reading his prospect profile and looked at some videos before the last draft and it looked good.  At this point of the off-season we're all looking for that diamond in the rough.  While I respect Capella's opinion, it is after all just one opinion.  I need to find out more.  If I think he's "terrible", then I'll just kick him to the curb.  We have expanded rosters in some of my leagues, so it doesn't hurt to stash at this point in the off-season.

I don't know if he will be any good or not.  I was just reading his prospect profile and looked at some videos before the last draft and it looked good.  At this point of the off-season we're all looking for that diamond in the rough.  While I respect Capella's opinion, it is after all just one opinion.  I need to find out more.  If I think he's "terrible", then I'll just kick him to the curb.  We have expanded rosters in some of my leagues, so it doesn't hurt to stash at this point in the off-season.
Certainly my opinion but go watch the Bucs two playoff games when they were desperate for WR help to get their opinion of him too. 

The last 3 mocks I read had the Bucs taking a WR & all suggested they’ll let Godwin walk. 

Of course, these are just like, their opinions, maaaaan. 

The last 3 mocks I read had the Bucs taking a WR & all suggested they’ll let Godwin walk. 

Of course, these are just like, their opinions, maaaaan. 
So if Godwin walks & they “rebuild” will they take a WR early?  I would think other needs more pressing. I have not seen too many mocks to guess their picks but they do have several FA resigning needs. 

So if Godwin walks & they “rebuild” will they take a WR early?  I would think other needs more pressing. I have not seen too many mocks to guess their picks but they do have several FA resigning needs. 
I’m not sure about “early” since they have the 27th pick.  The suggestion was they’d spend FA $ on shoring up their defense & take Olave, if available (2 of the mocks had Olave, one had someone else - they’re just mocks, but I found it interesting they were all like-minded on Godwin/picking a WR)

Early, as in 1st round, sure.  

But who knows what’s really going to happen. The Bucs won’t be able to bring everyone back like they did last year. The bills are coming due. 

I’m not sure about “early” since they have the 27th pick.  The suggestion was they’d spend FA $ on shoring up their defense & take Olave, if available (2 of the mocks had Olave, one had someone else - they’re just mocks, but I found it interesting they were all like-minded on Godwin/picking a WR)

Early, as in 1st round, sure.  

But who knows what’s really going to happen. The Bucs won’t be able to bring everyone back like they did last year. The bills are coming due. 
Totally agree.  Yes, by Early I was implying in a Day 1 or Day 2 pick.  

But would they give up on Darden already?  Granted, he was only a 4th round pick and at 5'9" he is does not fit the role to replace Godwin (6'1") or Evans (6'5").  Is Tyler Johnson (6'2") more likely to see targets in Godwin's departure over Darden?  I expect they could re-sign Perriman cheap also.  

Olave would be a nice pickup!  If he falls that far... 

I think the odds of Godwin leaving are less than 10%. Not really likely. 
They might not be able to afford him. They’ve been borrowing against their future for years. That’s the price when the bill comes due. I’d put it closer to 30% chance he stays. 

I loved the tape from Darden's college games (what little there is).  I think Darden has some potential as a gadget-type offensive player and as a kick/punt returner.  His size will obviously limit him on offense; Darden isn't going to make his living crossing the middle in the NFL, he isn't going to win in contested-ball situations, and he is more quick than fast.  He is unlikely to ever play a prominent role.  Also, in Scotty Miller, the Bucs already have a similar-sized receiver with more speed.  If there is a receiver who is poised to breakout on their roster, however, I believe it is Tyler Johnson.

Nonetheless, I still think Darden has some value as an end-of-your-deep-dynasty-roster free addition.  If the Bucs resign Godwin, or bring in a receiver via free agency or the draft, you simply move on, but at least you will know something sooner rather than later.  Darden's situation reminds me a bit of what we saw earlier with Andy Isabella.  Hopefully, Darden's path in the NFL is more successful than Isabella's has been.

They might not be able to afford him. They’ve been borrowing against their future for years. That’s the price when the bill comes due. I’d put it closer to 30% chance he stays. 
That is simply not true. They borrowed against their future for literally one year, 2021. In fact, all their contracts prior to last off-season had the signing bonus paid upfront so not to incur big cap hits down they line. They had never forwarded any contracts like they did last year before.

They have ample availability to bring him back and have 66M to restructure if they wish. 

That is simply not true. They borrowed against their future for literally one year, 2021. In fact, all their contracts prior to last off-season had the signing bonus paid upfront so not to incur big cap hits down they line. They had never forwarded any contracts like they did last year before.

They have ample availability to bring him back and have 66M to restructure if they wish. 
And improve the defense & replace Brady & re-sign Gronk, & fill special teams holes?

Color me skeptical. 

What do you base that on?
Things I know. Most likely outcome is they let him go to market, get the best available offer and then match it. He wants to be here, they want him back, and he is the perfect wideout for this offense. 

And improve the defense & replace Brady & re-sign Gronk, & fill special teams holes?

Color me skeptical. 
Gronk isn’t coming back. Defense doesn’t need a lot and with restructures they could get up to 85M in cap space. 

special teams is generally filled with cheap linebackers and running backs etc. 

Gronk isn’t coming back. Defense doesn’t need a lot and with restructures they could get up to 85M in cap space. 

special teams is generally filled with cheap linebackers and running backs etc. 
defense coughed up a ton of points to the Rams & got them knocked out of the playoffs. Isn’t Howard also a FA? 

I’ll believe it when I see it but I think Godwin plays elsewhere in 2022. 

We can agree to disagree about the rest. 

defense coughed up a ton of points to the Rams & got them knocked out of the playoffs. Isn’t Howard also a FA? 

I’ll believe it when I see it but I think Godwin plays elsewhere in 2022. 

We can agree to disagree about the rest. 
I mean the defense has been fine for two years. They’re not going to re-do the defense off of one game, that’s not how smart teams do things. 

Howard is also very terrible and likely not coming back or coming back on a very cheap deal. I’m not trying to be a jerk here but if you think he is part of the calculus to their cap situation this off-season I would gently suggest you aren’t up on this particular team very well. 

Users who are viewing this thread