What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, DET (1 Viewer)

USC junior WR Amon-Ra St. Brown has entered the 2021 NFL Draft. 

St. Brown (6'1/195) was one of USC's most important playmakers this season, as in six games he caught 41 passes for 478 yards and seven touchdowns. The junior wide receiver's best outing came in a win over Washington State, as he reached the end zone four times in the first quarter alone. The 2021 NFL Draft is loaded at the wide receiver position, and St. Brown is considered to be one of the best in the class. If his name isn't called on Day 1, he shouldn't have to wait long on Day 2. 

SOURCE: Antonio Morales on Twitter

Jan 2, 2021, 1:36 PM ET

Somewhat off-topic, but I think it's neat: Brother of Packers WR Equanimeous, and they have another brother, Osiris, who is a WR at Stanford. I haven't dug much into this, but it appears that Amon-Ra is the youngest, but Osiris redshirted his freshman year, and has one more year of eligibility. Father is an accomplished bodybuilder: a 3-time Mr. World and former Mr. Universe, as far as I can tell. However these guys wind up their NFL careers, that's a heck of an athletic family, with at least a stellar collegiate football legacy. I don't know jack about them, but I applaud their athletic accomplishments, at least. Hard to imagine having 3 sons good enough at football to scholarship at Notre Dame, USC and Stanford. Good for them, I wish them all the best!

Somewhat off-topic, but I think it's neat: Brother of Packers WR Equanimeous, and they have another brother, Osiris, who is a WR at Stanford. I haven't dug much into this, but it appears that Amon-Ra is the youngest, but Osiris redshirted his freshman year, and has one more year of eligibility. Father is an accomplished bodybuilder: a 3-time Mr. World and former Mr. Universe, as far as I can tell. However these guys wind up their NFL careers, that's a heck of an athletic family, with at least a stellar collegiate football legacy. I don't know jack about them, but I applaud their athletic accomplishments, at least. Hard to imagine having 3 sons good enough at football to scholarship at Notre Dame, USC and Stanford. Good for them, I wish them all the best!
Osiris isn't getting drafted

2021 NFL draft: USC's Amon-Ra St. Brown talent stands up in deep WR crop

Excerpt:

87. USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown

6-foot-1, 195 pounds

Yahoo Sports draft grade: 5.75 — potential starter

TL;DR scouting report: Fluid route runner with outstanding body control who could be a fixture as an NFL slot receiver

Games watched: UCLA (2019), Iowa (2019), Arizona State (2020), Washington State (2020), UCLA (2020)

The skinny: A 5-star Rivals prospect (No. 3 nationally), St. Brown had his pick of the litter when it came to a school choice. He landed at USC and was an instant contributor, catching a game-winning TD in his first college contest and finishing his freshman year with a team-high 60 grabs for 750 yards and three TDs in 11 games. As a sophomore in 2019, St. Brown caught 77 passes for 1,042 yards and six scores, adding seven rushes for 60 yards and a TD in 13 contests. In his junior season, he caught 41 passes for 478 yards and seven scores (all in his final three games). St. Brown declared for the 2021 NFL draft as an underclassman.

Upside: Extremely natural route runner — fluid, smooth and confident. Makes sharp cuts look easy and sells routes extremely well. Sudden and light feet to keep balance throughout the route and explodes out of breaks to gain separation. Quickness to make the first man miss more often than not.

Highly, consistently productive — five-plus catches in 16 of his final 17 college games and only three career games with fewer than three catches. Terrific body control and timing at the catch point. Great feet along the sideline and can haul in the off-target throws.

Underrated competitiveness and toughness. Comes back for the football and works fearlessly over the middle, where safeties lurk. Will break and slip through tackles. Gives requisite effort as a blocker.

Very intelligent and focused. Prepares like a pro. Technique is polished.

Downside: Drops are too frequent — makes the tough grab and then coughs up the easier ball. Will start running without the ball secured at times. Had fumble issues earlier in his career — three as a freshman (but zero in the following two years).

Could struggle to release from press coverage and might be best at home in the slot predominantly. Not quite as effective on the outside as he was inside.

Lacks deep speed to consistently take the tops off of defenses and elite explosiveness — not a lot of tape of him separating downfield. Lean build and limited length. Might not fare as well against physical, longer-armed corners.

Competes hard but doesn’t win with physicality. Could stand to add some more body armor to lean frame. Blocking effort is fine, but effectiveness is middling at best.

Has some return ability but limited production — had only one punt return longer than 11 yards. Only returned two kickoffs and might not possess much other special-teams value (maybe as a vice, which he did briefly as a freshman). Might never be a true No. 1 receiver.

Best-suited destination: St. Brown would be an outstanding third option and a good WR2, lining up predominantly in the slot and occasionally being used on returns and end-arounds.

Did you know: St. Brown is fluent in three languages — English, German and French. He is the son of John Brown, a bodybuilder who was a two-time Mr. Universe (1981 and 1982) and three-time Mr. World; and the brother of Packers 2018 sixth-rounder Equanimeous St. Brown and Stanford receiver Osiris St. Brown.

Player comp: A Tyler Boyd clone, and style-wise, there are even some shades of Chris Godwin to his game. But ee just don’t think he’ll ever reach that level in the NFL.

Expected draft range: Rounds 2 or 3

NFL Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah “Loves” USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown

USC has produced some exceptional talent at the wide receiver position this past year, and it's caught the eye of several NFL Draft experts. This year, NFL Network’s draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah gave high praise to junior WR Amon-Ra St. Brown on Twitter. 

“One trait almost every elite WR possesses- toughness. One of the main reasons I love USC's Amon-Ra St. Brown. He does the dirty work in [the] middle of the field and he's a very angry blocker.”

All in one tweet, Jeremiah compared St. Brown’s toughness to those of elite receivers. He also said that he “loves” the Trojan wideout as an NFL prospect. 

In regards to calling St. Brown an "angry blocker" Jeremiah may be referring to the nasty layout block he displayed in USC's 2020 season opener against Arizona State. The California native engaged in a block with one of the Sun Devils defensive backs, eventually shoving him to the ground, which sparked a huge reaction from the Trojans sideline.

But Jeremiah wasn’t the only NFL expert to chime in. NFL Network’s Peter Schrager also mentioned his thoughts on the USC wideout as well. 

“Shh. One of my favorites. ‘Sleeper’ no more.”

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound wideout led USC with 41 receptions for 478 yards and a Pac-12 leading seven TD's in the shortened conference schedule. This resulted in him being named a 2020 first-team All-Pac-12 selection. He finished his USC career with 2,270 receiving yards on 171 receptions and 16 TDs. 

St. Brown is expected to be picked somewhere on day two of the 2021 NFL Draft. As many mock drafts have him slated as a second or third round pick. There are also several predictions that have him sneaking into the first round, joining teammate and offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

The 21-year-old is expected to be among the top wide receivers taken off the board. St. Brown dominated out of the slot during his USC career, as he is rated as the 8th-best inside wide receiver by Sports Illustrated's FanNation rankings. While he's expected to be a slot-receiver in the NFL, St. Brown did showcase his versatility in 2020 by playing on the outside more frequently.

Although we are still several months away from finding out where Amon-Ra St. Brown will land in this years draft, it's a good sign that two very credible draft analysts value what the Trojan wideout brings to the table. 

Expert Evaluates Amon-Ra St. Brown's NFL Draft Stock

Amon-Ra St. Brown was arguably Kedon Slovis' most popular target in 2020, but NFL draft experts seem to believe that he won't be a first round pick.

Despite having a career-high number of touchdowns [7] in 2020, and finishing with 41 receptions and 478 yards last season, St. Brown's name continues to get dragged into the second or third round.  

Sports Illustrated's NFL Draft Bible President, Zack Patraw, joined SI AllTrojans to evaluate the former USC wide receiver's draft stock and detailed why he fits the mold of a second round pick.

"It's funny with [Amon-Ra St. Brown], you are either [a] huge fans of his, him going in the rounds one and two, then you hear guys who are a little bit more skeptical of him you know, round five, round four, somewhere around there." [Patraw]

But Patraw believes that St. Brown has enough up-side to be drafted in round two. 

"There is really nothing that I hate about his vehicle, [but] there is nothing that I would say he is elite at. He is good at just about everything. He has quality hands, he's got decent speed, he is going to run good enough at the 40, that isn't going to be an issue" Patraw said.

"But I do want to see more of a route tree from him, I think that was a little bit lacking in the USC offense."

Recently Amon-Ra St. Brown was slated to be drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs as the No.63 pick according to Sports Illustrated's Arrowhead Report. But what separates St. Brown from a potential first rounder like DeVonta Smith?

AllTrojans caught up with ESPN analyst Jim Mora Jr. who believes that, “Amon-Ra [St. Brown] at this point, is a game controller. He is going to go into the NFL and on third down he is going to make the tough catch and take the hit. But he is going to move the sticks. Where Devonta [Smith] is going to change the numbers on the scoreboard.” [Mora]

South Carolina, USC pro days: Gamecocks CB Jaycee Horn soars

Excerpt:

Amon-Ra St. Brown

USC · WR

St. Brown set a goal of 4.4 seconds for his 40-yard dash heading into Wednesday's workout. He came up a bit short of that mark, but still posted a good time with runs of 4.51 and 4.52 seconds. The brother of Green Bay Packers WR Equanimeous St. Brown recorded a 38.5 inch vertical jump, a broad jump of 10 feet, 7 inches and an impressive 20 reps on the bench press. He measured 5-foot-11, 197 pounds with a 9 1/8-inch hand and 30 3/8-inch arm.

In an average year, St. Brown would likely go no later than early in the second round, but the depth of this year's wide receiver class figures to push him down the board a bit.

"To me, Amon-Ra St. Brown, as a football player, is going to be one of the top 40 players in the draft," said Daniel Jeremiah during Wednesday's Path to the Draft Pro Day Special. "But because of the sheer number of wideouts, some teams are going to be patient because they can wait and still get a quality player. He's probably going to go in the back end of the second round and maybe even in the third round, which means you're getting a heck of a football player and a tremendous value with somebody like this."

He's a WR that I should look at more closely than I have.  I don't have a handle on him yet and would hate to have him slip through my fingers without doing my due diligence. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone convince me why I should take this guy early to mid 2nd round in start 1qb dynasty leagues.  He seems to be good at everything, but not great at anything.

USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown was built by his father for the NFL

Excerpt:

That was one of the first lasting impressions Amon-Ra made on Jeff Johnson, a private coach who taught the position to all the St. Brown brothers. Johnson has trained some of the elites in the wide receiving business, and counts Antonio Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, and Odell Beckham Jr. among his former clients. Johnson considers Amon-Ra's athleticism NFL-ready, as evidenced by his USC pro day performance last month: 4.51 40-yard dash, 38.5-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-7 broad jump, 4.27 short shuttle, 6.81 three-cone drill and 20 bench press reps of 225 pounds.

After three impressive seasons with the Trojans, NFL draft analyst Lance Zierlein believes St. Brown can play inside or outside at the next level and shows exceptional route-running and ball skills.

"He's real smooth and has good body control. He's not the fastest guy out there, but he plays to his top speed when he's trying to track the ball. He doesn't gear down," said Zierlein, who projects St. Brown as a third-round selection. "He's like a Cooper Kupp type. Kupp plays faster than his timed speed because of his route-running, and he's so smart -- a high football IQ -- and that's what St. Brown has."

But there's a mental edge to Amon-Ra that transcends his skill set, one that separates him ever so slightly from even his own brothers.

"They're all hungry, but I think he might be the hungriest," Johnson said of the St. Browns. "He really aspires to be great. I think he's really trying to do everything his father's instilled in him. But if he's a 10.5, the other two are a 9.8."

I have him behind all of E.Moore, T.Marshall & T.Wallace right now without knowing landing spots

Lions selected USC WR Amon-Ra St. Brown with the No. 112 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Brother of Packers WR Equanimeous St. Brown, Amon-Ra (5'11/197) arrived at USC as the top-overall recruit in California and walked away No. 11 in school history with 178 receptions, averaging 5.7 catches per game. Moved to the slot for 88% of his snaps in 2019, St. Brown popped for a 77/1,042/6 line. St. Brown transitioned to the boundary in 2020 and produced a career-low 11.7 yards per catch, highlighting his struggles to separate downfield and beat press coverage. Excelling in strength (20 bench reps) and explosiveness (39" vertical, 127" broad jump) tests at USC's pro day, the 21-year-old is best suited to win inside with volume.

May 1, 2021, 12:33 PM ET

Mike Clay updated his projections on 5/4. I imagine doing Lions WR projections for 2021 is just gross, it's the worst room in the league by a good margin.

Anyway:

• Tyrell Williams 85 targets 55-784-4 157.4 WR60
  • Breshad Perriman 91 targets 51-752-4 150.2 WR63
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown 72 targets 47-566-3 121.6 WR73
  • Quintez Cephus 48 targets 29-401-2 81.1 WR93
  • Geronimo Allison 18 targets 12-132-1 31.2 WR136
  • Kalif Raymond 6 targets 4-53-0 9.3 WR157
Couple tree things. 

I don't think Raymond makes the team, I think the Lions really like UDFA Javon McKinley ($100K bonus), and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their WR4. Moot point, I think ARSB ends up being the only fantasy relevant WR this year.

I do think they'll try to get the ball in the hands of Hock and Swift as much as they can. At least I hope they plan on that, as they're the best playmakers on the team.

I think Amon-Ra is the best route runner in the group. I could see him being the guy Goff looks for often. He doesn't get much separation but he's a pitbull who will win a lot of contested catches. Had a lot more success in 2019 from the slot than last year when he played outside, and I think that will be his role with the Lions. I can see him being a guy who catches a lot of slants and curls. I don't think he has much twitch so I don't expect him to offer much YAC.

I could see 110 targets, 80-825-4. Borderline WR3/Flex type play.

Mike Clay updated his projections on 5/4. I imagine doing Lions WR projections for 2021 is just gross, it's the worst room in the league by a good margin.

Anyway:

• Tyrell Williams 85 targets 55-784-4 157.4 WR60
  • Breshad Perriman 91 targets 51-752-4 150.2 WR63
  • Amon-Ra St. Brown 72 targets 47-566-3 121.6 WR73
  • Quintez Cephus 48 targets 29-401-2 81.1 WR93
  • Geronimo Allison 18 targets 12-132-1 31.2 WR136
  • Kalif Raymond 6 targets 4-53-0 9.3 WR157
Couple tree things. 

I don't think Raymond makes the team, I think the Lions really like UDFA Javon McKinley ($100K bonus), and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being their WR4. Moot point, I think ARSB ends up being the only fantasy relevant WR this year.

I do think they'll try to get the ball in the hands of Hock and Swift as much as they can. At least I hope they plan on that, as they're the best playmakers on the team.

I think Amon-Ra is the best route runner in the group. I could see him being the guy Goff looks for often. He doesn't get much separation but he's a pitbull who will win a lot of contested catches. Had a lot more success in 2019 from the slot than last year when he played outside, and I think that will be his role with the Lions. I can see him being a guy who catches a lot of slants and curls. I don't think he has much twitch so I don't expect him to offer much YAC.

I could see 110 targets, 80-825-4. Borderline WR3/Flex type play.
At least one WR will break 1,000 and have 8 TDs and I would guess Tyrell or maybe Amon-Ra.  Tyrell is a bit better than his numbers show as he has been playing banged up and not always starting the last few years. 

Saw someone on Twitter post a list of the 4th round WRs the last decade. It's abysmal. Jamison Crowder is the best result by a mile. That has made me pretty worried about how things turn out for him even with the sweet landing spot. Once you hit the mid 2nd round, it's matter of finding the best of the worst options so I get the appeal here but I would be hoping to sell early.

Saw someone on Twitter post a list of the 4th round WRs the last decade. It's abysmal. Jamison Crowder is the best result by a mile. That has made me pretty worried about how things turn out for him even with the sweet landing spot. Once you hit the mid 2nd round, it's matter of finding the best of the worst options so I get the appeal here but I would be hoping to sell early.
I'm personally not sold on him because of his size/speed. The local news guys here in LA love him because he went to USC and he's a gamer. But there have been tons of gamers coming up short in the pros for many, many years. You could write a pretty bleak history about deserving characters that couldn't.

I'm personally not sold on him because of his size/speed. The local news guys here in LA love him because he went to USC and he's a gamer. But there have been tons of gamers coming up short in the pros for many, many years. You could write a pretty bleak history about deserving characters that couldn't.
Definitely one of those guys that ended up smaller and slower than I had hoped. I was expecting more like 6'0" 205 and high 4.5 speed. Instead we get 5'11" 197 and 4.6ish speed. The only good thing here is he always seemed to be a Keenan Allen/Cooper Kupp type I don't think long speed is too important for him.

What he does have going for him is early breakout and early declare. He had a disappointing junior year but again I think some of that is the haze of the shortened COVID season. If the PAC12 plays their normal full season, he projects to 89/1035/15. Maybe more since the Pac12 only played in conference and thus he didn't get any cupcakes.  Pittman and him were pretty much 1A and 1B in 2018 when ARSB was a freshman and Pittman a junior. I think there are plenty of positive signs there. The 4th round capital is a real killer though since it means most teams didn't see much in him. 4th round capital usually means it will be tough to see the field. That might be offset by the Lions paper thin WR depth chart, but it probably also means  he is always in danger of being replaced. I am pretty much banking on him getting opportunity, having a high target season and packaging him with something else to land a better draft pick/player next year.

Definitely one of those guys that ended up smaller and slower than I had hoped. I was expecting more like 6'0" 205 and high 4.5 speed. Instead we get 5'1" 197 and 4.6ish speed. The only good thing here is he always seemed to be a Keenan Allen/Cooper Kupp type I don't think long speed is too important for him.

What he does have going for him is early breakout and early declare. He had a disappointing junior year but again I think some of that is the haze of the shortened COVID season. If the PAC12 plays their normal full season, he projects to 89/1035/15. Maybe more since the Pac12 only played in conference and thus he didn't get any cupcakes.  Pittman and him were pretty much 1A and 1B in 2018 when ARSB was a freshman and Pittman a junior. I think there are plenty of positive signs there. The 4th round capital is a real killer though since it means most teams didn't see much in him. 4th round capital usually means it will be tough to see the field. That might be offset by the Lions paper thin WR depth chart, but it probably also means  he is always in danger of being replaced. I am pretty much banking on him getting opportunity, having a high target season and packaging him with something else to land a better draft pick/player next year.
Sounds like solid logic. You've done your homework.

Definitely one of those guys that ended up smaller and slower than I had hoped. I was expecting more like 6'0" 205 and high 4.5 speed. Instead we get 5'1" 197 and 4.6ish speed. The only good thing here is he always seemed to be a Keenan Allen/Cooper Kupp type I don't think long speed is too important for him.

He picked #14 if you’re putting in your offseason jersey order

He has phenomenal hands, plays tough and runs great routes.  He was raised to play wide reciever.  I have no doubt he will be the most targeted WR in Detroit.  

He has phenomenal hands, plays tough and runs great routes.  He was raised to play wide reciever.  I have no doubt he will be the most targeted WR in Detroit.  
Sure hope so. His brother was raised to play WR as well and that didn't turn out. 

Users who are viewing this thread