What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Demetric Felton, Bengals PS (1 Viewer)

UCLA redshirt senior RB Demetric Felton declared for the NFL draft. 

Felton (5'10/200) was an explosive multi-purpose weapon for the Bruins who served as a slot receiver last season before serving as UCLA's workhorse running back this year. The talented tailback rushed 132 times for 668 yards, a 5.1 YPC and five touchdowns while also snagging 22 receptions for 159 yards and three touchdowns through the air in only six games. He projects as a versatile player who can line up all over the formation and will likely command a draft selection in the late Day 2 - early Day 3 range.

SOURCE: Demetric Felton on Twitter

Dec 20, 2020, 1:06 PM ET

UCLA RB Demetric Felton was one of the big winners at Senior Bowl week, according to Pro Football Network's Oliver Hodgkinson. 

Felton (5'10/200) was used as both a running back and slot receiver during his time at UCLA, and the experience paid off down in Mobile. "Felton proved himself to be a dynamic offensive weapon this week," Hodgkinson wrote. "He provides speed, quickness, and an incredible ability to change direction. Importantly for his transition to the NFL, he showed he could parlay all those attributes to be a dangerous threat anywhere on the field." Felton's versatility fits in well with what NFL teams are looking for, and he improved his draft outlook at the Senior Bowl. 

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Feb 1, 2021, 2:38 PM ET

He went to one of the high schools in the town where I live. I was interested to see him getting raves at the Senior Bowl. Cool stuff.

Zyphros said:
I hate him. Unless he moves to WR which I only slightly dislike him. 
Sounds like he worked exclusively at WR during the Senior Bowl and looked good doing it. He is small though.

2021 NFL draft: USC's Amon-Ra St. Brown talent stands up in deep WR crop

Excerpt:

89. UCLA WR-RB Demetric Felton

5-foot-9, 189 pounds

Yahoo Sports draft grade: 5.74 — potential starter

TL;DR scouting report: Shifty, quick, undersized back with receiving and return ability who could be used as a hybrid, do-it-all weapon

Games watched: USC (2019), Cal (2020), Arizona (2020), Arizona State (2020)

The skinny: A 3-star Rivals recruit, Felton enrolled early at UCLA and redshirted his first season in 2016. After seeing limited time as a receiver and runner in 2017, Felton moved nearly full time to receiver in 2018 and hauled in 20 catches for 207 yards and one TD. In 2019, he lined up mostly in the backfield, sharing running duties with 2020 fourth-rounder Joshua Kelley, rushing 86 times for 331 yards and one TD; catching 55 passes for 594 yards and four TDs; and averaging 26.0 yards per kickoff with one TD. As a redshirt senior, Felton primarily lined up in the backfield and totaled 668 rush yards on 132 carries with five TDs and caught 22 passes for 159 yards and three scores in six games. He attended the 2021 Senior Bowl.

Upside: Dynamic athleticism — great agility, change-of-direction skills and body control. Subtle burst in the hole. Elusive in space and can accelerate in a flash. Quick as a hiccup to make people miss routinely (see Arizona 2020 game).

Flashes nice stiff arm in space. Doesn’t give defenders a clean target to hit when he has the ball. Highly productive on a per-touch basis behind so-so Bruins offensive line.

Added notable strength through his college career and it showed. Shocking workhorse when asked to carry the load — averaged 27 touches per game in 2020. Showed moderate improvement in pass protection over past two years. Also gives good effort blocking downfield for teammates. Decent hand size.

Ate up DBs in one-on-one coverage drills at the Senior Bowl — looked like a guy who had been playing slot receiver all his life. Didn’t decelerate in his breaks or show hesitancy. Has true positional versatility and should have wide appeal as either a running back, slot receiver or a combo of the two, along with kickoff-return skill.

Was willing to take on whatever role that was asked of him, Coachable and tough-minded athlete. Team-first player.

Downside: Small frame (measured 5-foot-8 5/8 at Senior Bowl) that’s close to maxed out. Middling arm length (31 3/8 inches) and wingspan (74 1/8 inches). Durability questions — previously battled hamstring injuries. Almost certainly won’t be a 15- or 20-touch-per-game player on the regular in the NFL.

Not as many home-run plays in 2020 with increased volume — long gain of 40 yards. Ball security is something to monitor — had two fumbles over his final 143 college carries.

A bit too much east-west in his running, as opposed to north-south. Even with his quicks and vision, better as an outside-zone runner.

Legitimate debate in the scouting community over where best to play him. Does he have one dominant spot? Route tree might be somewhat limited — you’re not going to ask him to run corner routes or posts too often.

No punt-return experience to speak of. A bit older for a rookie — turns 23 in July.

Best-suited destination: Felton figures to have a role similar to how the Patriots have used James White, giving him occasional carries and using him as an outlet receiver who can split out and create space against nickel backs, safeties and linebackers. He might never be an NFL workhorse, but he only should be held back by the lack of creativity of his offensive coordinator.

Did you know: Jedd Fisch tried (unsuccessfully) to recruit Felton to Michigan but later coached him at UCLA. Considering Fisch spent a year with the Patriots last season, it wouldn’t be a shock to see Felton high on New England’s radar.

Player comp: Similar prospect to Nyheim Hines, Gio Bernard and Dion Lewis.

Expected draft range: Round 3 or 4.

Another older (will be 23 before season starts) RB who didn't breakout early and some might say never did.  He had 15 attempts for 205 yards his first two season and a 3.8 avg. for 300+ yards his junior year.  I can't see him getting drafted before the 3rd day and maybe not at all.  He had a nice senior season with 668 yards, 5.1 avg. and 5 TDs, with 22 receptions and 3 TDs catching the ball.

ETA:  I didn't know he didn't play RB his first two years and only looked at his 4 year stats without really reading up on him.  I still don't see anyone using a 2nd round draft pick on him in dynasty leagues, or is he another Gibson?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be silly. Of course he'll be drafted.

He had so few rushing attempts his first two years because he was a WR. He had 55 receptions his junior year from the RB position. 

He had so few rushing attempts his first two years because he was a WR. He had 55 receptions his junior year from the RB position. 
I didn't know that about him, thanks.  Well then, he might just get drafted.  I was wrong and only looked at his 4 year stats.

Is he another Antonio Gibson?  I missed out on him too, so I'll probably miss out on Felton if he goes in the 2nd rd of rookie drafts.

Gruden has been looking for another Charlie Garner for a while. Don't be surprised to see the Raiders take this dude in the middle rounds and then cut Jalen Richard's $3 MM salary (or trade him for a late pick, if any takers).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=1754974

Garner, Bucs agree to six-year deal

Mar 9, 2004

John Clayton, ESPN Senior Writer

The Bucs have reached an agreement in principle with former Raiders running back Charlie Garner, opting to sign Garner over the Eagles' Duce Staley.

Garner is expected to sign a six-year, $20 million contract with the Bucs that includes $4 million in up-front money. Garner was also high on the list of the Broncos, who recently traded Clinton Portis to the Redskins.

The Bucs moved quickly to reunite Garner with his former Raiders coach, Jon Gruden. They had been negotiating with Staley, who visited last week. Staley spent Monday in Pittsburgh and was in serious negotiations with the Steelers.

This will be the third team in which Garner and Gruden have worked together. Garner, 32, was considered instant offense for Gruden in Philadelphia when Gruden was offensive coordinator there. He signed with the Raiders in 2001 and spent three seasons in Oakland as a starter.

Is he another Antonio Gibson?  I missed out on him too, so I'll probably miss out on Felton if he goes in the 2nd rd of rookie drafts.
He is much smaller than Gibson. That was one of the reasons I thought Gibson could win the main job. I probably wouldn't be expecting more than a receiving role for Felton and a few carries as the best case upside. If he comes in as a RB. If he doesn't then I'm really not interested.

No he isn't. Gibson has a feel for RB and playing in space. Felton can barely even play in space without running into the tackle, let alone through the line of scrimmage. 

Giants Now: Daniel Jeremiah's potential draft fits for Big Blue beyond first round

Excerpt:

Another player Jeremiah discussed as a possibility for the Giants in rounds three or four is UCLA's Demetric Felton, who was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl back in January.

"And then I think another interesting player in like round 3, round 4, just as an overall offensive weapon, would be Demetric Felton out of UCLA who played running back, goes to the Senior Bowl, plays receiver at practices there, and was darned near uncoverable," Jeremiah noted about the offensive playmaker out of UCLA. "Just really juicy, really explosive at the top of his route. Can make people miss in space. Just a really fun player. I think would be fun complement there to what they have."

Felton did a little of everything for the Bruins this past season. In six games, he rushed the ball 132 times for 668 yards (5.1 avg.) and five touchdowns while catching 22 passes for 159 yards and three touchdowns on his way to being named Second-Team All-Pac-12. He also returned eight kickoffs for 168 yards (21.0 avg.) in 2020, one year after returning 13 kickoffs for 338 yards (26.0 avg.) and a touchdown. At the Senior Bowl, Felton caught two passes for 28 yards and a touchdown and returned one punt for 10 yards.

Browns selected UCLA RB/WR Demetric Felton with the No. 211 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Once recruited ahead of Josh Jacobs, Felton (5'8/189) signed with UCLA as a wide receiver but converted to running back under Chip Kelly in 2019, leading the Pac-12 in all-purpose yards per game (165.8) as a versatile rusher, receiver, and returner in his final year. Felton racked up 2,258 all-purpose yards during his final two seasons as UCLA. He took reps at both positions (and impressed) at the Senior Bowl but underwhelmed at his ensuing pro day with poor straight-line speed (4.59 40) and lackluster agility (7.31-second 3-cone) for his size. He had a fifth percentile burst score. Felton's plus hands qualify him as a case-by-case mismatch from the slot and backfield. Almost 23, Felton could be deployed as a gadget player in the Browns offense this year. 

May 1, 2021, 4:55 PM ET

This is a terrific prospect and I understand many will figure he is buried on the depth chart but Baker Mayfield is going to like the versatility of this guy. He could make one fo the RBs expendable as well, Hunt has to be worth something in a return at this point. Cleveland has to make that push for a Super Bowl run, their window with Baker still on his rookie deal coming to a close fast. 

He will be overlooked anytime he is lined up on the field for Cleveland with their other weapons and because there is a lot of talent already assembled there, his chances to shine are actually pretty good I would think. He's not going to be asked to do a lot of heavy lifting. 

If he makes the club I can see him being used in sub-packages but without looking it up I'd say the Browns incorporate more 12 and 13 personnel sets than any or most teams.  They are built on the run game with lots of PA.  The overall team is solid so I don't see a lot of empty sets being used.

I'm sure Stefanski and his staff are drawing up plays for his unique skill set but in fantasy terms.

'These are not the droids you're looking for.'

I don't see either RB Nick Chubb or Kareem Hunt being used in the preseason.

Felton has gotten RB/WR/and KR reps.  He will get used a ton during the preseason.

He'll get a lot of opportunities to get touches which means exposure which equals = fantasy stock 📈

Could reap a quick turn-around since I think the kid will see a lot of work in the preseason and has a shot to bust off a big play.  Add all three of the Browns preseason games will be on national TV so lots of fantasy players will see him.

Once the season starts it will be a Chubb/Hunt show but right now he's super cheap and 'could' have a bump in value during the preseason.

Demetric Felton caught both of his targets for 14 yards in the Browns' Week 6 loss to the Cardinals. 

Felton has been used strictly as a pass catcher, though he has running back eligibility in fantasy leagues. Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt being hobbled by calf injuries could give Felton more run in Week 7 against the Broncos. D'Ernest Johnson would probably be the team's early-down back if Hunt and Chubb are out this week. Felton is nothing more than a desperation PPR option if Chubb and Hunt are sidelined against the Broncos. 

RELATED: 

D'Ernest Johnson

Anybody rolling with Felton over D'Ernest this week?  I'm in PPR and think I may do it.  
This feels like the same feeling as the people who chose to start Gainwell to me last week. I’d advise against it, unless you are desperate, which many of us are. We have no clue what the touches will look like and outside of that one Stellar catch and run, Felton hasn’t done much.

He seems to have a different speed to me when he is on the field and given touches - I was impressed with him last night. 

With that said - he just isn’t going to get a ton of carries. D’Ernest Johnson and John Kelly fit that power scheme better.

But Felton needs to be on the field as well, he brings a speed and shifty element to that offense and think it is a matter of time before he breaks some long touchdowns.

Would have liked to see a few more carries to be better able to judge that aspect. All he needs is a small crease and he is upfield in a flash.

definite PPR dynasty stash but I just don’t think he has any value whatsoever in non ppr dynasty.

…….and back to the waiver wire he goes for those of you who picked him up thinking he was a better add than Johnson.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Demetric Felton tested positive for COVID-19. 

Felton, a seldom used pass catcher in the Cleveland offense, will need to test negative for the virus twice 24 hours apart if he's going to play in Week 10 against New England. He won't be a fantasy factor unless Nick Chubb -- who also tested positive for COVID -- is sidelined. D'Ernest Johnson will take over as the team's lead back if Chubb sits. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Nov 9, 2021, 12:11 PM ET

Bengals signed RB Demetric Felton, formerly of the Browns.
Felton was left off the Browns’ 53-man roster after the team went out and acquired Pierre Strong from the Patriots last week. Now, the versatile running back and return man will get a chance to earn his way onto the Bengals roster as a member of their practice squad. Through two seasons, Felton has totaled 20 receptions for 189 yards and two touchdowns and has another eight carries for 20 yards on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread