What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

Louisiana senior RB Elijah Mitchell declared for the NFL Draft.

Mitchell (5'11"/218) finishes the 2020 season with 878 yards and eight touchdowns on the ground to go along with 153 yards gained through the air. He capped off his impressive Ragin' Cajuns career with 172 all-purpose yards in a 31-24 victory over UTSA in the First Responders Bowl. The UL legend rushed 526 times for 3,246 yards, 6.2 YPC, 4.14 yards after contact and 45 touchdowns. Mitchell has the size to carve out a role at the NFL level but hasn't had to handle a 20-carry load in college since he split carries with Trey Ragas. He projects as a fifth-to-seventh round prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Elijah Mitchell on Twitter

Jan 10, 2021, 1:40 PM ET

I swore I made a thread about him last year, but I can't seem to find it. 

He's my favorite RB sleeper this year and was one of them last year until he returned to school. I was heartbroken. 

Super loose, bendy, strong, decent pass catcher. He's the mid round RB I want my Steelers to take rather than take Najee early. 

Doing an FFPC startup (not SF) right now he just went in the 15th round right before and after names like:

Dyami Brown, Crowder, Bryan Edwards, Amon-Ra, Patterson, Felton, Stevenson, K Herbert

30th rookie off the board. Mid 3rd rookie equivalent today in March. But he is rising and I agree with Zyphros he will likely make it into the 2nd. 

It would be foolish for anyone to draft him in the 2nd round, especially in this draft.  Anything before the third round is a reach and I would say an early 3rd is a reach.
I agree that it would be a reach to take Mitchell in the 2nd, but I currently have him as an early third-round dynasty pick.  Most of the players at this point in a dynasty draft are of speculative value, anyway.  

It would be foolish for anyone to draft him in the 2nd round, especially in this draft.  Anything before the third round is a reach and I would say an early 3rd is a reach.
He's my #17 ranked player right now in PPR, #21 in SF. I expect that to stay after 4th round draft capital or better. 

Depends where he lands, it's hard for me to rank beyond the top 15-20 players because draft capital and landing spot becomes such a big factor with these riskier players. 

49ers selected Louisiana RB Elijah Mitchell with the No. 194 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.  

Mitchell (5’10/202) was a two-star recruit and four-year contributor in the Ragin’ Cajuns’ run-heavy offense. He split the workload with late-round prospect Trey Ragas but led the backfield in rushing in 2019 (1,147 yards) and 2020 (878). Mitchell ran upright and dragged his feet too much when making cuts in Louisiana’s zone scheme to be a Day 2 prospect, but his speed (4.38 forty) and explosion (37.5 vert) were good enough to average 6.2 yards on his 527 career carries against Sun Belt competition. For a smaller back, Mitchell’s receiving profile is forgettable (49 career receptions and 100 pass-blocking reps), which takes some of the wind out of his sleeper sails.

May 1, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

I aaaalmost cut him from my dynasty taxi as I had a ton of picks this year. I know, no one cares. He looked pretty dynamic, although against DET not sure how much that means 

Thoughts on him going forward after his out of nowhere performance today?

If Mostert is out for a while, it’s down to Mitchell/Hasty/Sermon. 

It’s a land mine trying to figure out the SF backfield, but we all know there’s a lot of value if you get the right horse. 

Thoughts on him going forward after his out of nowhere performance today?

If Mostert is out for a while, it’s down to Mitchell/Hasty/Sermon. 

It’s a land mine trying to figure out the SF backfield, but we all know there’s a lot of value if you get the right horse. 
Good luck figuring it out

I think I'm out on SF RB's- the floor is basically zero if you guess it wrong, but the heroin high of getting it right is truly for the gambling folks.

Shanny is annoying. Aiyuk's letdown was also crazy unpredictable.

Also, the Lions defense is GOD AWFUL- holy cow. 

I think I'm out on SF RB's- the floor is basically zero if you guess it wrong, but the heroin high of getting it right is truly for the gambling folks.

Shanny is annoying. Aiyuk's letdown was also crazy unpredictable.

Also, the Lions defense is GOD AWFUL- holy cow. 

Sermon and Aiyuk are elite talent but Kyle’s gotta prove it’s the scheme not the players

Is Sermon though? Based off a couple(literally) monstrous games in college? He doesn’t look particularly special to me when I’ve watched him run. 

I’ll defer to Matt Waldman & Chris Harris, film guys who both had him as their #1 RB in this class.

The Shanahans and their RB coach Bobby Turner have traditionally loved a certain type of running back - one cut, explosive through the hole, zone runner. This type is often a low round draft choice from an unheralded school. You can go back to the 90s and see the type in Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Alfred Morris etc. When they took Elijah Mitchell I drafted him in nearly every dynasty league I could because he is the perfect identikit Turner/Shanahan back. 

Good article below on this subject:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl-playoffs/2020/1/22/21077312/kyle-mike-shanahan-zone-blocking-raheem-mostert-running-backs

The Shanahans and their RB coach Bobby Turner have traditionally loved a certain type of running back - one cut, explosive through the hole, zone runner. This type is often a low round draft choice from an unheralded school. You can go back to the 90s and see the type in Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Alfred Morris etc. When they took Elijah Mitchell I drafted him in nearly every dynasty league I could because he is the perfect identikit Turner/Shanahan back. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl-playoffs/2020/1/22/21077312/kyle-mike-shanahan-zone-blocking-raheem-mostert-running-backs
I imagine they doubled up with Sermon earlier in the draft. Have to figure that the draft capital used to get Sermon will give him an opportunity much sooner than later.

Which is why the Gallman signing made no sense. His was the least surprising of final cuts.

One reason Shanahan activated Mitchell and didn’t dress Sermon is the former plays special teams. It came down to dress 3 or 4 RB, and by necessity have one less lineman.

MRI today but as of last night they didn’t think Mostert damaged his ACL. Which probably means out a few weeks. Elijah wasn’t involved in the passing game at all, Hasty had only 1 target. Sermon might be in line for high value touches in the passing game but we’ll see.

Draft capital aside, Sermon is more of a power runner - the Jeff Wilson role - and his 4.58 speed probably doesn’t make him a likely candidate to succeed Mostert long term. Mitchell is more of a vision - read/react runner. Those skills translate better for Raheem’s role.

Hasty will be in the mix as well. I don’t think I’ll be bidding much for Mitchell this week.

Which is why the Gallman signing made no sense. His was the least surprising of final cuts.

One reason Shanahan activated Mitchell and didn’t dress Sermon is the former plays special teams. It came down to dress 3 or 4 RB, and by necessity have one less lineman.

MRI today but as of last night they didn’t think Mostert damaged his ACL. Which probably means out a few weeks. Elijah wasn’t involved in the passing game at all, Hasty had only 1 target. Sermon might be in line for high value touches in the passing game but we’ll see.

Draft capital aside, Sermon is more of a power runner - the Jeff Wilson role - and his 4.58 speed probably doesn’t make him a likely candidate to succeed Mostert long term. Mitchell is more of a vision - read/react runner. Those skills translate better for Raheem’s role.

Hasty will be in the mix as well. I don’t think I’ll be bidding much for Mitchell this week.
That's my concern. Even if Mostert is out, everyone will be jumping on the Mitchell bandwagon and then we'll watch him get 5 carries while Hasty and Sermon carry the load.

I dropped him in one of my leagues earlier in the off-season and will make a bid for him again, but it's probably foolish to bid too much, because this will be a very fluid situation.  I can easily see another back spoiling the Mitchell fun.  How bad is Mosert hurt?  If he's out for a length of time Sermon will be active on Sundays, count on it.

I dropped him in one of my leagues earlier in the off-season and will make a bid for him again, but it's probably foolish to bid too much, because this will be a very fluid situation.  I can easily see another back spoiling the Mitchell fun.  How bad is Mosert hurt?  If he's out for a length of time Sermon will be active on Sundays, count on it.

Yeah I would think it’ll be the FB and the 3 HBs until further notice. From Shanny’s presser, sounds like they’re staying east this week bc the MRI today was gonna be in West Virginia (they play at Philly Sunday), so hopefully we’ll get some clarity today or tomorrow.

But like @zamboni said, GL trying to figure out who’s week it might be, this RB room could be Patriots west.

Yeah I would think it’ll be the FB and the 3 HBs until further notice. From Shanny’s presser, sounds like they’re staying east this week bc the MRI today was gonna be in West Virginia (they play at Philly Sunday), so hopefully we’ll get some clarity today or tomorrow.

But like @zamboni said, GL trying to figure out who’s week it might be, this RB room could be Patriots west.
Yep.  And it’s nothing new.   This is just what the Shanny family does with RBs.

FWIW Hasty is the guy who impressed me the most in preseason.

But then they used  Mitchell the most in week one so who knows?

I’ll defer to Matt Waldman & Chris Harris, film guys who both had him as their #1 RB in this class.

Harris doesn't watch much college film. He says this a lot and brings on guests to discuss rookies. So if he had trey #1, he was probably deferring to Waldman more than offering his own opinion on trey.

I dont know about you all but I would defer to NFL draft position as far as who was the #1 RB in this draft class.

My opinion is that Travis Etienne was the best RB of this draft class and he was picked close enough to Harris that draft position doesn't trump my view about that.

If Sermon were the #1 RB of this draft class then he would have been drafted higher than he was and he would not have been inactive.

But believe whoever you want I guess.

FWIW Hasty is the guy who impressed me the most in preseason.

But then they used  Mitchell the most in week one so who knows?

In the dress rehearsal game - the only live action for both Mostert and Mitchell:

Who won 49ers running back battle between Raheem Mostert, Trey Sermon, Elijah MitchellIt’s looking like two of these players are going to be getting a lot of work this season.

San Francisco 49ers running back Raheem Mostert got his first taste of preseason action this season on Sunday against the Raiders. He started the game and played the first 10 snaps with the ones, rolling up 53 yards on seven carries. After that, Trey Sermon took over, playing 14 snaps with 37 yards on seven carries. That was their first action together in the preseason. 

Sunday’s tilt was Elijah Mitchell’s first preseason game too after missing the first two with a hip injury, and he made an impression with his six carries and 24 yards. He also looked good on special team, returning two kicks, including a 45-yarder, and recording a tackle. It earned him the praise of head coach Kyle Shanahan after the game, and makes it seem as if he has a lock on a roster spot heading into the season. 

The logical conclusion most of us cane to was 1) the incumbent ran with the 1s and looked good, 2) the Day 2 pick ran with the 2s and looked good, and 3) oh by the way looks like the 6th Rounder made the team.

Lot of overthinking in here. 

Just as easily could be:

Mostert starter, Hasty goal line, Mitchel ST, so Sermon inactive. 

Mostert gets hurt, they gotta put someone in.

Next week could just as easily be Sermon starting and getting the bulk with the same 2/3 strategy.

Just as easily could be:

Next week could just as easily be Sermon starting and getting the bulk with the same 2/3 strategy.
Except after the game, Shanny said Mitchel won the #2 job in camp.

Just as easily could be:

Thus the reason why spending too much FAB dollars on Mitchell may not be warranted, but Mitchell is still a priority add from the waiver wire as a wait and see.  How much?  I don't know, but there will be those who blow their entire budget on him and probably will end up being disappointed.

I dont know about you all but I would defer to NFL draft position as far as who was the #1 RB in this draft class.

My opinion is that Travis Etienne was the best RB of this draft class and he was picked close enough to Harris that draft position doesn't trump my view about that.

If Sermon were the #1 RB of this draft class then he would have been drafted higher than he was and he would not have been inactive.

But believe whoever you want I guess.

I hear ya brother. All the Tier 1/Tier 2 RBs in this class came with some warts. I think sometimes analysts (esp guys who favor film over data) love being the first to make a call. “Forget the lack of production at OU, forget he didn’t play in the SEC, so what if Sermon’s whole ascendency is due to the playoff push at tOSU - trust me, the film says this guy is the best RB in the class.” As much as I love guys like Kollman or Waldman, it def feels like “I know the secret code and notice things you guys miss” sometimes.

Except after the game, Shanny said Mitchel won the #2 job in camp.

Riiiiiiight. He also said Trent Sheford outplayed Aiyuk all summer.

Two developments nobody who spent time at Santa Clara covering the 49ers this summer noticed. Complete blind side in both cases.

Users who are viewing this thread