What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: RB Larry Rountree III, Los Angeles Chargers (who spells Ekeler, this guy or Kelly or Jackson?) (1 Viewer)

Senior Bowl Q&A: Rountree impresses in Mobile

Excerpts:

The Maneater: Overall, how did Missouri’s representatives — Larry Rountree III, Joshuah Bledsoe and Tyree Gillespie, perform in Mobile?

KCOU Sports’ James Marshall: During the game, Rountree had a few snaps, never really got anything going. The offensive line really struggled, so it was hard for him to get anything going. He did show some flashes in the passing game, had a couple nice receptions for I believe 12 and eight-yard gains. Even in practice, he really showed his ability as a pass-catcher, something we haven’t been able to really speed from him, with the presence, obviously of Tyler Badie in the backfield at Missouri. So, it was good for him to show that. For Bledsoe and Gillespie, they really struggled during the week of practice at times, had pretty quiet games though, on Saturday, which was pretty good for them, I’d say. The only recorded stat between the two, I believe, was a Bledsoe tackle. Other than that, they didn’t really see too much time on the field. A couple memorable snaps, so I definitely know they were out there. Didn’t really do too much. But overall, a decent week for Larry Rountree.

TM: You touched on this a bit, but Rountree’s biggest hurdle for draft position is pass-catching ability. How’d he do in that area this week?

JM: They were doing drills in practice this week, and a lot of them, I noticed, were focused around just running simple routes, catching the ball out in the flat, turning upfield. Simple stuff like that. And Rountree obviously showed his versatility there. And then in the game, too, he had a couple of nice receptions. He was able to turn upfield and get some positive yards and first downs.

TM: Which Missouri player raised their stock the most?

JM: Rountree, easily. Probably the biggest question coming into this week for any of those three was “is Rountree gonna be able to prove himself as a receiving back?” Just because we haven’t seen him do that, really at all. He definitely did that. He had a couple nice pass blocks as well, which definitely helped. Overall, you can’t really look at his stats from the game just because of how much the offensive line struggled. He was never really able to get anything going. He was definitely the best performer for Missouri.

Cheap sleeper Larry Rountree. He made my favorites list and I'm likely to have him on a lot of my teams. He's my RB8 on the year, and I haven't seen anyone else put him in their top10. Proved more and more every year. 

Cheap sleeper Larry Rountree. He made my favorites list and I'm likely to have him on a lot of my teams. He's my RB8 on the year, and I haven't seen anyone else put him in their top10. Proved more and more every year. 
He is solidly there for me. Probably doesn't do anything special but checks all boxes at an above average level (which is an underrated trait in and of itself IMO). If he gets drafted in a good spot he could climb higher. I think this is all shaping up very similarly to 2020 in that there will be RBs creeping up into the late 1st round/early 2nd of rookie drafts and the 2nd round will be very strong. If he ends up being a hit, and if he isn't in people's top 10 right now, then he is barely even in the 2nd round of rookie drafts. 

So maybe in the same neighborhood as say Vaughn or Gibson last year, which obviously worked out better on one side than the other. I reached for Vaughn and still have *some* hope there but wouldn't you rank Rountree/Hill/Hubbard/Jefferson over say Vaughn, as a prospect? 

There may not be as many good landing spots this year, though. 2020 had a lot of great rookies and FA is likely to undermine at least a couple of these incoming rookies. Talent rises to the top and all but maybe it will take someone emerging on the level of a Gibson or Robinson to make it worth a draft pick at all. 

As usual my thinking is FFPC centric and one of my specific strategies there, and in dynasty in general, is that I really actually do look for year 1 production. I am not nearly as good of an owner when it comes to playing the long game and *waiting* for a guy to develop. Derrick Henry being my most notable exception. Vaughn may be an interesting example, though, too and relates to what I'm saying about Rountree. There is a world in which Vaughn becomes FF relevant here in 2021. But can I still roster him to wait and find out? Yes and no. A couple spots yes a couple spots probably not. But those latter ones are loaded so who cares. Anyway, some of these RBs we're saying are RB5-10 in this class may fall in this murky territory of being difficult to roster for very long.

He is solidly there for me. Probably doesn't do anything special but checks all boxes at an above average level (which is an underrated trait in and of itself IMO). If he gets drafted in a good spot he could climb higher. I think this is all shaping up very similarly to 2020 in that there will be RBs creeping up into the late 1st round/early 2nd of rookie drafts and the 2nd round will be very strong. If he ends up being a hit, and if he isn't in people's top 10 right now, then he is barely even in the 2nd round of rookie drafts. 

So maybe in the same neighborhood as say Vaughn or Gibson last year, which obviously worked out better on one side than the other. I reached for Vaughn and still have *some* hope there but wouldn't you rank Rountree/Hill/Hubbard/Jefferson over say Vaughn, as a prospect? 
As a prospect I had Vaughn in my Tier4 and I have Sermon/Gainwell/Rountree/Jefferson in Tier4 for this year. I have Hubbard and Hill in Tier3 (which is better than Tier4 and Vaughn as a prospect). I think you're on to something though, that generally speaking we should be fading this RB class a bit. That's really hard for me in general because I elevate RB's up a tier overall so I put a priority on that position. 

As a prospect I had Vaughn in my Tier4 and I have Sermon/Gainwell/Rountree/Jefferson in Tier4 for this year. I have Hubbard and Hill in Tier3 (which is better than Tier4 and Vaughn as a prospect). I think you're on to something though, that generally speaking we should be fading this RB class a bit. That's really hard for me in general because I elevate RB's up a tier overall so I put a priority on that position. 
Yeah same here. My comment above about the possibility that ~WR7 >> ~RB7 is one thing, but even if that is true most of my squads would be putting that WR as my own WR7 or 8, and again hard to roster unless they emerge right away, and also hard to move because there are a billion WRs out there and everyone knows this. Whereas I could actually use my own RB3 or 4 in a number of cases, because you know, RB scarcity. That means I need to take dart throws. Although I may have missed with Vaughn, I did take Gibson in many spots as well. I don't really need another WR per se, but if I can get a Higgins or Aiyuk or Jefferson or Claypool, maybe Pittman, as opposed to another Vaughn, then yeah of course. I even took one of those Jefferson shares and turned it into a starting RB that won me a ship this last year (but it was a terrible deal and regretted immediately, ship to come notwithstanding). But all other things being equal the only way I get the RB that hits there in that 2nd round is if I actually draft them. 

The more I watch, the more I like him. He probably goes round 3 in early drafts and then round 2 closer to the season. I guess if he gets picked by Atlanta or someone round 3 he'll creep way up the draft boards.

Chargers selected Missouri RB Larry Rountree III with the No. 198 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Rountree (5’11/211) was a three-star recruit and four-year contributor against SEC competition with the Tigers. He compiled 4,009 total yards and 40 touchdowns over his career but averaged 5.0 yards per carry with only 47 receptions across 48 games. A 23-year-old prospect with sixth percentile Adjusted SPARQ athleticism (4.62 forty, 30-inch vert), Rountree profiles as an Alex Collins-level backup. His best traits are his reliability and consistency, and those could begin deteriorating after picking up 793 touches in college. He'll replace Kalen Ballage as Los Angeles' No. 3/4 back.

May 1, 2021, 4:17 PM ET

Any thoughts on Rountree...from an opportunity standpoint there could be something there...LAC have their O line issues but Kelly wasn't too impressive last year (3.2 YPC) and while Jackson has flashed he is entering year 4 and still feels like an unknown quantity...Ekeler is obviously the RB to own but it feels like they'd also like to have a complimentary RB to go with him and when looking at RBs like Rountree sometimes situation/opportunity is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on Rountree...from an opportunity standpoint there could be something there...LAC have their O line issues but Kelly wasn't too impressive last year (3.2 YPC) and while Jackson has flashed he is entering year 4 and still feels like an unknown quantity...Ekeler is obviously the RB to own but it feels like they'd also like to have a complimentary RB to go with him and when looking at RBs like Rountree sometimes situation/opportunity is the key.
I'm not sure that I will ever like him as much as Joshua Kelley for the one or two weeks where it looked like he might have a path to a significant role.   However, I would take Rountree as a flier over Kelley in 2021.  He's one of a few targets I'm looking at for a pick early in the 4th round in 1QB.   Late enough that I won't have any hesitation to cut bait if there's no training camp buzz about taking Kelley's spot.  

not much between him and Ekeler, as the two guys inbetween are complete JAGs

IMO Justin Jackson is hot garbage. I think Kelley has the size speed combo but hasn't put it together in any meaningful way (yet). And those guys are from a prior staff. They did make the roster, though, which I was a little surprised with. But Rountree could easily bypass those guys for an early down role with Ekeler ceding some amount of early down carries to *somebody*. I am guessing they will give Kelley another shot to be that guy but I am banking on the rookie who they drafted and who flashed a bit in the preseason. And apparently during practices or he wouldn't have made it. Maybe he only ends up being a ST guy but I think Kelley and Jackson are not impediments whatsoever.

All that said I don't know that Rountree is anything special but I do see him getting that early down role and it *could* be sooner than later. 

I sure hope you’re right @barackdhouse 

I nabbed him 5.03 in dynasty rookie draft. 

Kelley has looked pretty solid this preseason though, so barring injury I’m not sure Rountree has done enough to unseat him. 

Love his future upside given Eke’s age & injury history. 

IMO Justin Jackson is hot garbage. I think Kelley has the size speed combo but hasn't put it together in any meaningful way (yet). And those guys are from a prior staff. They did make the roster, though, which I was a little surprised with. But Rountree could easily bypass those guys for an early down role with Ekeler ceding some amount of early down carries to *somebody*. I am guessing they will give Kelley another shot to be that guy but I am banking on the rookie who they drafted and who flashed a bit in the preseason. And apparently during practices or he wouldn't have made it. Maybe he only ends up being a ST guy but I think Kelley and Jackson are not impediments whatsoever.

All that said I don't know that Rountree is anything special but I do see him getting that early down role and it *could* be sooner than later. 
Darius Bradwell impressed me more than all but Rountree in the preseason. He was released and then signed to the practice squad. Might be someone to keep on the radar if injuries happen.

Kelley has looked pretty solid this preseason though, so barring injury I’m not sure Rountree has done enough to unseat him. 

Love his future upside given Eke’s age & injury history. 
He looked pretty awful to me. Not that I watched a lot of him but the little I saw wasn't good.

8 for 19 and 1/-3 first game
7 for 9 and 2/12 in second game
3 for 2 and 1/12 in third game

I know it doesn't mean a lot because it is preseason but 18 carries for 30 yards is not pretty solid. 4 receptions for 21 is fine. But I mean where is the impediment to Rountree here? I more or less agree he hasn't done enough to unseat Kelley but the hold is tenuous at best.

Larry Rountree had eight rushes for 27 yards in the Chargers' Week 1 win against Washington. 

The rookie had a 13-yard run in the second half. He was used as a complement to Austin Ekeler, who was completely phased out of the Chargers' passing attack while seeing 15 rushing attempts. Meanwhile, Justin Jackson -- the presumed RB2 in LA -- had a single carry for five yards in Week 1. Rountree, an incredibly productive runner at Missouri, appears to be the back to roster behind Ekeler. He should be a popular waiver add in Week 2. 

Sep 13, 2021, 10:34 AM ET

Larry Rountree rushed four times for three yards in the Chargers' Week 3 win over the Chiefs. 

Rountree failed to catch his lone target in the passing game. None of his carries came near the goal line. The sixth-round rookie has five carries for two yards since his 8/27 Week 1. The Chargers remain a fluid situation in short-yardage situations, but Rountree is not looking like much of a hold in 12-team leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread