What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jermar Jefferson, DET (1 Viewer)

Running a 4.60 killed his stock. RBs that light and that slow are rarely successful in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jermar was getting taken in the first round in mocks by Rotounderworld about a month ago and they were laughing at people who were missing out. Then they were laughing the other night about people who didn't trade Robinson. Here's what I have to say to them.

:lmao:

It's been a terrible draft for anybody who has a bunch of picks this year in dynasty leagues. People like me. Elijah Mitchell and Trey Sermon going to SF. Bateman going to Baltimore. Just total logjams/sinkholes. Khalil Herbert going to Chicago, IIRC. Jermar, who was about a second-round pick just went really late to a place with Swift, Johnson, and Williams. That's awful news for Jermar, awful news for people, like me, who had fantasy aspirations and four second round picks that now look meaningless. 

Bruh, it was garbage for everybody. I decided to post the only appropriate response I had, which is just to laugh it off. 

NBC Sports Edge:

Lions selected Oregon State RB Jermar Jefferson with the No. 257 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Jefferson (5’10/206) was a three-star recruit and three-year starter before declaring for the draft as a true junior. Jefferson earned Pac-12 Freshman of the Year in by rushing for 1,380 yards and 12 touchdowns and averaged 108 rushing yards per game over his career. His vision and general feel for the game are his best attributes, and he is one of the few prospects with a lot of experience from an under center offense. Jefferson will only be 21.1 years old on draft night, but his heavy between the tackles workload in college and nagging injuries appeared to have zapped some of his speed (4.55 forty) and explosion (31-inch vert) at his pro day. He projects as a savvy backup-level player in the NFL.

May 1, 2021, 6:45 PM ET

It's been a terrible draft for anybody who has a bunch of picks this year in dynasty leagues. People like me. Elijah Mitchell and Trey Sermon going to SF. Bateman going to Baltimore. Just total logjams/sinkholes. Khalil Herbert going to Chicago, IIRC. Jermar, who was about a second-round pick just went really late to a place with Swift, Johnson, and Williams. That's awful news for Jermar, awful news for people, like me, who had fantasy aspirations and four second round picks that now look meaningless. 

Bruh, it was garbage for everybody. I decided to post the only appropriate response I had, which is just to laugh it off. 
Ah ok fair.  I don't play dynasty, I just like Jermar as a player and thought he should be drafted sooner.

Ah ok fair.  I don't play dynasty, I just like Jermar as a player and thought he should be drafted sooner.
Yeah. His pro day sunk him. It's really too bad for some guys that they didn't have a proper combine. The times are usually slower at the combine, but he at least deserved a chance to be compared fairly to his fellow classmates and draftees in a controlled setting to which everybody was subject. 

Bummer. 

Jermar was getting taken in the first round in mocks by Rotounderworld about a month ago and they were laughing at people who were missing out. Then they were laughing the other night about people who didn't trade Robinson. Here's what I have to say to them.

:lmao:
They were definitely wrong about him but after his pro day they said he was DOA for dynasty. I listened to some other dynasty stuff and it sounds like Jefferson was injured mid career and seemed to have lost some of his athleticism and burst from the injury. What a terrible RB class. 

It will be interesting how he looks in camp.  I think that the Lions cutting Kerryon says a lot about what the Lions think of Jermar.  The Lions are comfortable with him as their #3 RB.  Lions are touting Swift as a workhorse, but I have my doubts.  It will most likely be a three-headed monster with Swift getting most the carries.  I think the Lions struck gold for a pick which was only 2-spots away from being Mr. Irrelevant.  I think the single pro-day data point which was used to discount Jermar was an anomaly and was overhyped and that destroyed his draft value.   IMO, he is going to be much better than his draft position would indicate.

The Athletic podcast has an interview with Brad Holmes. In it he mentions how Cooper Kupp didn’t run a great 40 but the GPS data trek had showed he was fast on the playing field. Showed he was faster than almost anyone at the Senior Bowl. He then said it was the same with Jermar Jefferson. Said his 40 time wasn’t desirable but their data showed he was among the fastest RBs coming out in this draft. 

The Athletic podcast has an interview with Brad Holmes. In it he mentions how Cooper Kupp didn’t run a great 40 but the GPS data trek had showed he was fast on the playing field. Showed he was faster than almost anyone at the Senior Bowl. He then said it was the same with Jermar Jefferson. Said his 40 time wasn’t desirable but their data showed he was among the fastest RBs coming out in this draft. 
Awesome. Good to know that after our rookie draft. He looked fast in his highlights. By like a lot. I can't wait until GPS field speed starts tracking guys, especially in how they react after cutting. Like, to totally derail the thread, a guy like Ruggs who has great straight speed but loses it when he has to wiggle. He's got no wiggle. Tyreek Hill? Wiggle. I'd love to see how the sports science replaces the forty times. And we'll likely never know because it will be proprietary for teams.

So forties we have. Sigh.

Awesome. Good to know that after our rookie draft. He looked fast in his highlights. By like a lot. I can't wait until GPS field speed starts tracking guys, especially in how they react after cutting. Like, to totally derail the thread, a guy like

Ruggs

who has great straight speed but loses it when he has to wiggle. He's got no wiggle.

Tyreek Hill

? Wiggle. I'd love to see how the sports science replaces the forty times. And we'll likely never know because it will be proprietary for teams.

So forties we have. Sigh.
I like where this is going.

We use two sticks tied together with a chain that might kink + human eyeballs to determine we've travelled 10 yards?

In 2021? You serious, Clark?

Isn't he just another one of those late round draft picks that mean nothing?  I suppose if both Swift and Williams goes down.....If he's a waiver wire pickup to put at the end of your bench fine, but I would think you could make better use of that roster spot.

Isn't he just another one of those late round draft picks that mean nothing?  I suppose if both Swift and Williams goes down.....If he's a waiver wire pickup to put at the end of your bench fine, but I would think you could make better use of that roster spot.
Depends. Most likely, yes. Depends how big rosters are.

Jermar Jefferson had 11 carries for 43 yards in the Lions' third preseason game.

Jefferson made another start with D'Andre Swift and Jamaal Williams resting. This builds off an impressive Week 2 of the preseason, where Jefferson had 22 yards on three carries. Jefferson, a three-year starter at Oregon State, is a contrarian hedge to the Lions' backfield. The rookie seventh-rounder was one of the stars of Detroit's training camp.

Aug 28, 2021, 9:17 AM ET

the lions offensive scheme is really a triumvirate of OC Anthony Lynn, HC Dan Campbell and assistant head coach/running backs coach Deuce Staley. All three have praised Jefferson this summer. For a seventh rounder I don’t think they could be more pleased with what they got. He has no role until there’s an injury but they’re very comfortable using him if they have to.

Jefferson plays much faster than his 40 time.  He's got a sneaky ability to squirt through small openings.......great feet and balance.  imo, he could be a workhorse back in the NFL, if he gets the opp

Top undrafted rookie RB in my Empire.   Really would like to make room for him, but can't justify an RB3 on a losing team with 24-man rosters.   I drafted Kylin Hill late and I'm questioning whether that's a wise use of a roster spot.

I also drafted Khalil Herbert before that.  I feel a little better about that one because I think there's a chance that he's the top fantasy back in Chicago if Montgomery goes down.   I'm pretty sure that's not true with Kylin Hill or Jermar. 

Or is leapfrogging Jamaal a possibility here if Swift goes down?   I think it's probably a spit backfield at best.   He would certainly be worth the roster spot at that point, but I'm not sure that's a formula for a fantasy RB3+ on Detroit.

Top undrafted rookie RB in my Empire.   Really would like to make room for him, but can't justify an RB3 on a losing team with 24-man rosters.   I drafted Kylin Hill late and I'm questioning whether that's a wise use of a roster spot.

I also drafted Khalil Herbert before that.  I feel a little better about that one because I think there's a chance that he's the top fantasy back in Chicago if Montgomery goes down.   I'm pretty sure that's not true with Kylin Hill or Jermar. 

Or is leapfrogging Jamaal a possibility here if Swift goes down?   I think it's probably a spit backfield at best.   He would certainly be worth the roster spot at that point, but I'm not sure that's a formula for a fantasy RB3+ on Detroit.
Very interesting reading your perspective here.  I have Hill, had Herbert and was considering Jefferson as I have Swift.

I value Hill more as I believed in his talent and opportunity in Green Bay.  Never been totally sold on Dillon and his last game did nothing to change my view.  Hill could get a foot in the door as easily or easier than Herbert.

As for Jefferson it’s tough to decipher between some public tough love from new HC Dan Campbell and positive recent reviews of a Swift ramping up the last couple practices.

I am currently only rostering Hill of the three and don’t have room for more at the moment but will keep them on the watch list for sure.

Very interesting reading your perspective here.  I have Hill, had Herbert and was considering Jefferson as I have Swift.

I value Hill more as I belonged win his talent and opportunity in Green Bay.  Never been totally sold on Dillon and his last game did nothing to change my view.  Hill could get a foot in the door as easily or easier than Herbert.

As for Jefferson it’s tough to decipher between some public tough love from new HC Dan Campbell and positive recent reviews of a Swift ramping up the last couple practices.

I am currently only rostering Hill of the three and don’t have room for more at the moment but will keep them on the watch list for sure.

Also interesting to read yours.  Absolutely no issue with valuing Hill above Herbert.   Very bullish on the talent of both of these backs, and was disappointed with the landing spot, but loved the idea of being able to nab both of them late in drafts.   Jermar Jefferson was also on my radar, kind of faded him from where I viewed him in April.   7th round selection and RB3 at best status to a team committed to the run but unlikely to have loads of success didn't help his case, but my interest is definitely piqued.  

For what it's worth, I also have Dillon and Damien Williams on my rosters, so I'm currently swimming in NFC North bodies that are unlikely to have a big impact on my squad in 2021.

You add Tony Jones Jr. and now Ty'son Williams into this mix, and my head is absolutely swimming on how I should be utilizing my last 5 bench spots right now.   Already cut Mims loose for Tony Jones, and I don't know that I won't live to rue that decision.   I'm kind of driving myself nuts right now, but that's always the case in late August.  

Also interesting to read yours.  Absolutely no issue with valuing Hill above Herbert.   Very bullish on the talent of both of these backs, and was disappointed with the landing spot, but loved the idea of being able to nab both of them late in drafts.   Jermar Jefferson was also on my radar, kind of faded him from where I viewed him in April.   7th round selection and RB3 at best status to a team committed to the run but unlikely to have loads of success didn't help his case, but my interest is definitely piqued.  

For what it's worth, I also have Dillon and Damien Williams on my rosters, so I'm currently swimming in NFC North bodies that are unlikely to have a big impact on my squad in 2021.

You add Tony Jones Jr. and now Ty'son Williams into this mix, and my head is absolutely swimming on how I should be utilizing my last 5 bench spots right now.   Already cut Mims loose for Tony Jones, and I don't know that I won't live to rue that decision.   I'm kind of driving myself nuts right now, but that's always the case in late August.  
I feel your pain, just with TE’s.  In the league where I own Hill and Swift I am apparently taking TE premium to new extremes lol.  Need to trade some as I don’t want to just drop them. Sorry to take the convo off track.

He is good. Reminds me of James Robinson. 

I can't help but laugh.   I feel like this quote could be and has been said for about a half-dozen RBs I'm considering at the end of my roster.

Jermar Jefferson, Tony Jones Jr, K. Herbert, J. Patterson, Ty'son Williams to name a few.   As a guy who nabbed Robinson and gave him away as a throw-in to move up for Zack Moss, I guess I'm just really pressing to find this year's version.  :)

I like where this is going.

We use two sticks tied together with a chain that might kink + human eyeballs to determine we've travelled 10 yards?

In 2021? You serious, Clark?
Couldn’t figure out what you were talking about for a minute in my sleep-deprived brain. Then I realized, “Oh! Only how they determine progress in the game.”

Baseball supposedly has robot umpires coming for balls and strikes. World Soccer uses replay for almost everything and chip tracking in the ball to confirm goals.

Surely the NFL can do better. 

Couldn’t figure out what you were talking about for a minute in my sleep-deprived brain. Then I realized, “Oh! Only how they determine progress in the game.”
I don’t think I did a very good job constructing that sentence. I read it myself a few minutes ago and I was like what the heck was I talking about?

:lol:

Lions RBs coach Duce Staley said Jermar Jefferson has shown “a lot of growth” with his pass protection.

Jefferson, who started two of Detroit’s preseason games, has repped as the No. 3 back throughout camp. The rookie has a roster spot locked down, and with D’Andre Swift (core) looking questionable for Week 1, an early season role is possible. Zero RB drafters see potential for value with Jefferson, a First Team All-Pac-12 back, on a team that cleared house in the offseason and has no ties to Swift. Lions coach Dan Campbell famously backed Jay Ajayi over the higher drafted Lamar Miller during his final year with the Dolphins.

SOURCE: MLive.com

Aug 29, 2021, 10:25 AM ET

The article was OK but really went off the rails at the end.  Swift is far and away  the best RB on the roster and whether MCDC has ties to ties to him is a meaningless.   Jefferson is solidly the third back and only has value as a handcuff.  

Lions GM Brad Holmes said rookie Jermar Jefferson has “improved every week.”

"Obviously we all know (D'Andre) Swift and Jamaal (Williams) and what they bring. But we drafted Jermar, a rookie we felt really good about. Jermar has improved to the point where it’s like, the pass protection got better, what he’s supposed to do got better, he’s got natural vision, but to see it come to in practices and games makes you feel good about the position." Lions.com's Tim Twentyman believes Jefferson’s preseason and Swift’s injury has the rookie in position for an early season role. Jefferson, who ran for 72 yards this preseason and averaged 143 YPG as a junior, could split carries with Williams if Swift misses Week 1.

SOURCE: Detroit News

Sep 4, 2021, 12:15 PM ET

With Swift banged up and likely not going to play I'm sure Williams will get most of the between the tackles work but any chance that Jefferson gets the Swift dumpoffs?  I know Jefferson was banged up with a knee but don't know his current status....

With Swift banged up and likely not going to play I'm sure Williams will get most of the between the tackles work but any chance that Jefferson gets the Swift dumpoffs?  I know Jefferson was banged up with a knee but don't know his current status....
I think Jefferson is a good prospect in dynasty and have held him all year.  Swift has a history of injuries going back to his days at Georgia, although he's played through most (not all) of those injuries, so Jefferson is one of the better backup RBs to own in the future.  Not sure what Williams' future with the Lions will be however.

I think Jefferson is a good prospect in dynasty and have held him all year.  Swift has a history of injuries going back to his days at Georgia, although he's played through most (not all) of those injuries, so Jefferson is one of the better backup RBs to own in the future.  Not sure what Williams' future with the Lions will be however.

Jamaal has a 2 year, $6M deal ($3.325 was guaranteed.)

Jefferson was limited a few times last week but suited up. No targets or touches in 5 snaps.

Godwin Igwebuike has been ahead of him all year. Both have looked good with limited opportunities but it’s been Iggy 3rd string JJ 4th for the entirety.

Knowing how conservative Campbell has gotten as the losses pile up, I would expect 20-25 touches for Williams. But the 2 young guys are averaging 14.2 (6-86-1) and 9.4 (5-47-2) plus they’ve both looked good at catching the ball (granted only 4 catches each.) 

With Jamaal Williams added to the Covid list today, Jefferson should have an expanded role in the run game.

But Godwin Igwebuike has been ahead of him all year. Last week Williams was the primary run back, Iggy was in the receiving back role. Godwin led 24-9 in routes run, while Jefferson ran 2 routes.

Very small sample but both have looked good in their limited opportunities.

Igwebuike 8-93-1 & 5-49 on 7 targets (12 G)

Jefferson 10-65-2 & 4-23 on 5 targets (5 G)

Fire this guy up...Igwebuike is no threat...not sure why so many are selling him, but Jefferson is going to get run.  He was the first off the bench when Swift went down, then he dinged his ankle and Igwebuike came in. Spent a few games healing, so Igwebuike got some run and did nothing with it.

He's healthy and has always succeeded.  

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jermar-jefferson-fantasy-start-sit-2021-nflwk-14/

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jermar-jefferson/32004a45-4623-7349-2ea9-d13151c3df59

RB Jermar Jefferson

With Jamaal Williams having gone on to the reserve/COVID-19 list late Friday, Jefferson got catapulted into the spotlight. He will get the start Sunday, and he will get an opportunity that most seventh-round draft choices can only dream of.

“I’m going to shock the world,” said Jefferson after being drafted. “Just know the Detroit Lions are getting everything out of me. Everything.”

The Lions are going to need everything Jefferson has to give going up against Denver and its defense, which is ranked third in the league.

This patient and tough, one-cut runner has carried the ball 10 times for 65 yards this season, but he has also managed to find the end zone twice.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/five-lions-players-to-watch-against-broncos

Lions are always a dumpster....but then again the Broncos suck too.  Maybe 70 combined rushing attempts in this game?
Denver is going to have 40 minutes TOP -AND 40 total touches for their backs lol. Unless I'm stunningly wrong which I am quite a bit lol. I feel like missing the fact that the lions are still an NFL team despite their roster being ravaged 

JERMAR JEFFERSON RB, DETROIT LIONS

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Lions are expected to “lean on a combination” of Jermar Jefferson, Godwin Igwebuike, and Craig Reynolds at running back in Week 14 and potentially the rest of the season.

D’Andre Swift is looking likely to be placed on IR, while Jamaal Williams (reserve/COVID) is out this week and in danger of missing Week 15. With Williams playing through injuries even before going on the COVID list and only $1.6M of his 2022 salary guaranteed, it makes sense for the Lions to see what they have in Jefferson and Godwin, who have flashed on limited touches. Jefferson is the early-down pivot for Williams, though game script could lead to PPR value for both backs.   

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 12, 2021, 12:45 AM ET

Lions coach Dan Campbell said the team didn’t use RB Jermar Jefferson in Week 14 due to missing practice.

"Jermar had the ankle and everything. He started the week. He was another kid that had flu. So he wasn’t even around and so we just trusted Craig [Reynolds]." Campbell made it sound like Detroit’s backfield plan was a seat-of-pants decision. The Lions’ coach put part of the Week 14 loss on Godwin Igwebuike’s drive killing fumble in the third quarter. Jefferson was active but played three snaps, while Reynolds, on the practice squad until this week, led the team with 13 touches. With D’Andre Swift a candidate for IR and Jamaal Williams (COVID) potentially shut down, the Lions look intent to mothball Jefferson, who they traded up to draft and has two touchdowns on 10 carries this season. Detroit’s Week 15 backfield could feature a converted safety and a journeyman that was watching Netflix in training camp.

RELATED: 

Godwin Igwebuike

, Craig Reynolds

SOURCE: mlive.com

Dec 13, 2021, 6:27 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread