What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Willie Anderson tweeting Kevin Greene has died (1 Viewer)

Wow, RIP. Greene was 58, way too young to go. And as huge as his achievements are, he still is a little unheralded IMO. People forget just how dominant and disruptive he could be on the field.

This guy was a monster on the Rams, and continued that level of play on the Steelers and Panthers, and late into his career after returning to the Panthers after being with the 9ers.

5 Pro Bowls, his earliest separated from his last by about a decade. Multiple DPotY, and led the league in sacks a few times. Saw the SB as a player and a coach.

Greene should be in the HoF (multiple times as a finalist but don't recall him being considered in the last 3 or so years), it's unfortunate he won't be around to rest on those well-deserved and often under-appreciated laurels.

Wow, RIP. Greene was 58, way too young to go. And as huge as his achievements are, he still is a little unheralded IMO. People forget just how dominant and disruptive he could be on the field.

This guy was a monster on the Rams, and continued that level of play on the Steelers and Panthers, and late into his career after returning to the Panthers after being with the 9ers.

5 Pro Bowls, his earliest separated from his last by about a decade. Multiple DPotY, and led the league in sacks a few times. Saw the SB as a player and a coach.

Greene should be in the HoF (multiple times as a finalist but don't recall him being considered in the last 3 or so years), it's unfortunate he won't be around to rest on those well-deserved and often under-appreciated laurels.
Inducted in 2016.

He’s in the Hall of Fame.

Inducted in 2016.

He’s in the Hall of Fame.
See? See how unheralded he is? Guy gets inducted by HoF and it goes totally unnoticed...by me.

Glad he's in. I still don't hear him talked about the way we talk about other all time sack leaders like Reggie White or Bruce Smith, or with the same reverence as people talk about other dominant pass rushers/disrupters like Butkus/Lambert/Urlacher/Taylor/etc.

ETA: Anyone know the cause of death? I don't see it reported anywhere. Maybe they are still looking for cause, but no matter how it happened, still way too early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Met him at Disney years ago.  There with my family, my step dad had a Packers hat on...this was the after they won the Super Bowl (when he coached with GB)  His wife commented about his hat and showed she had this nice necklace replica of the Super Bowl ring.  As we were looking, he came up and said if we liked that we would really like his ring and showed off the SB ring.  He was super nice that day.  Just a fun random moment .

RIP Kevin Greene

Loved watching him play. A throwback that had a non stop motor and love for the game.

2020 just refuses to relent. 😥

Rip ...Greene brought Blitzburgh with Lloyd

Probably one of the best FA signing ever by Pittsburgh

Sad - that’s young.

Even though he is in HOF I agree he gets overlooked when people talk about great defenders. Greene was tough as nails with a relentless motor. And he wasn’t just a pass rusher. I saw him absolutely stand up a pulling guard who had a head of steam in a game (I feel like it was a super bowl).

I have good news for you

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
I still don't hear him talked about the way we talk about other all time sack leaders like Reggie White or Bruce Smith, or with the same reverence as people talk about other dominant pass rushers/disrupters like Butkus/Lambert/Urlacher/Taylor/etc.
Puzzling take IMO. With all due respect to Greene, may he RIP, he was not the same caliber of player as Taylor, White, Smith, Butkus, Lambert, or even Urlacher.

He may very well be underappreciated, but there is no reason to ever expect him to be talked about like the others you named.

Ministry of Pain said:
Had 15 Sacks at the age of 36, double digits his last season in the NFL, you hated playing against him. 
This is what makes Greene so much more impressive to me than your average dominant player in the NFL. Very little drop off in that motor over time.

Greene played for 15 years. And his legacy and greatness of a player isn't just from the volume of a long career (3rd sacks all time, 1st all time as an LB, etc.).  

In his last season, he had 12 sacks. He was a Pro Bowler and voted the NFC Linebacker of the Year the year before that.

He played ant an elite level consistently throughout his career, constantly after the ball like a hog going after a sweet tater in the mud until the very end.

Be honest: when someone asks you, "Who is the best pass rusher in NFL history?" -- is Kevin Greene one of the first names that pops into your head?

It should be.

Be honest: when someone asks you, "Who is the best pass rusher in NFL history?" -- is Kevin Greene one of the first names that pops into your head?

It should be.
No. I think of Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, and Deacon Jones. But I take your point that Greene deserves consideration for the next tier.

Users who are viewing this thread