What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next 100 TOP SONG OF 1969 - #1 Back In The USSR - The Beatles (2 Viewers)

#81  Cross Town Traffic - Jimi Hendrix

Unfortunately could not find the studio or suitable live version so went with the linked video due to copywrite blocks.

The high note was sung by Dave Mason (Traffic and solo artist) and the famous kazoo riff is Hendrix using a comb and a piece of cellophane. 
The White Album AND Electric Ladyland eligible for your list? Oh, there will be plenty of stuff left for me. 

Hendrix can be hard to find on Youtube, which is a real bummer. 

The White Album AND Electric Ladyland eligible for your list? Oh, there will be plenty of stuff left for me. 

Hendrix can be hard to find on Youtube, which is a real bummer. 
It's funny because his estate does a great job with his merchandise, especially his vinyl records. They're reasonably priced and generally high quality goods. 

#80  Marrakesh Express - Crosby Still and Nash

Graham Nash went to Morocco and took the train from Casablanca to Marrakesh while with the Hollies and wrote this one. 

“I thought it was a funny song when I wrote it,” says Nash. “It’s not the greatest song in the world, but people still really like it whenever we sing it live. Whenever we need a little light-hearted, uptempo thing, that’s what we reach for.”

#80  Marrakesh Express - Crosby Still and Nash

Graham Nash went to Morocco and took the train from Casablanca to Marrakesh while with the Hollies and wrote this one. 

“I thought it was a funny song when I wrote it,” says Nash. “It’s not the greatest song in the world, but people still really like it whenever we sing it live. Whenever we need a little light-hearted, uptempo thing, that’s what we reach for.”
This is my 1B of classic rock songs that name check Morocco in their lyrics, with A Passage To Bangkok being 1A.

#78  Dear Prudence - The Beatles

While in India Mia Farrow's sister Pru really got into TM.  Mia asked George and John to intervene because she said that they were the only ones who could get through to her.  I'm not sure if it worked or not but they got this song from the experience. 

John has correctly noted the Beatles weren't great musicians but on the retreat he learned a new finger picking technique from Donovan that he would use in this and later songs.   Lennon has applauded this as one of his favorite Beatle tunes. 

#77 Born On The Bayou - Creedence Clearwater Revival

I just assumed CCR were some form of Cajun band from the swamps of the South.  The myth, the legend of CCR being from the swamplands began with this song.  John Fogerty, from Berkley had never put eyes on a swamp till he began writing this tune but he helped create a new form of music known as 'Swamp Rock'.  

Ranked #53 on Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time.  Fogerty explained that the song originated when Creedence Clearwater Revival were booked at San Francisco's Avalon Ballroom in 1968. Said Fogerty: "We were the #7 act on the bill, bottom of the totem pole. And as the first guys to go on, we were the last to soundcheck before they opened the doors. It was like, 'Here's the drums, boom, boom; here's the guitar, clank, clank.' I looked over at the guys and said, 'Hey, follow this!' Basically, it was the riff and the attitude of 'Born on the Bayou,' without the words."

Last edited by a moderator:

I just assumed CCR were some form of Cajun band from the swamps of the South.  The myth, the legend of CCR being from the swamplands began with this song.  John Fogerty, from Berkley had never put eyes on a swamp till he began writing this tune but he helped create a new form of music known as 'Swamp Rock'.  

Ranked #53 on Rolling Stone 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time.  Fogerty explained that the song originated when Creedence Clearwater Revival were booked at San Francisco's Avalon Ballroom in 1968. Said Fogerty: "We were the #7 act on the bill, bottom of the totem pole. And as the first guys to go on, we were the last to soundcheck before they opened the doors. It was like, 'Here's the drums, boom, boom; here's the guitar, clank, clank.' I looked over at the guys and said, 'Hey, follow this!' Basically, it was the riff and the attitude of 'Born on the Bayou,' without the words."
So good.  I mean, really good.  

#75  For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder

Its been a long time since I heard this one and I forgot what a happy tune it is.

Berry Gordy initially didn't like it.

Stevie Wonder's version was recorded at about the same time as The Temptations' in the summer of 1967. However, Berry Gordy did not like Wonder's version, an upbeat rendition produced by Henry Cosby. Gordy vetoed the single's release, and the recording was shelved. Billie Jean Brown, the head of the Motown Quality Control department, finally coerced Gordy into allowing Wonder's version to be released in October 1968.

#74  Jennifer Juniper - Donovan

If Pattie Boyd isn't inspiring rock songs then her sister is. 

What is it with the Boyd babes?

This was inspired by George Harrison's then-sister-in-law, Jennifer Boyd (sister of Pattie). Both sisters married after this recording: Pattie Boyd Harrison married Eric Clapton, Jennifer Boyd married Mick Fleetwood.

I think I know and have, I believe, one song but much further down (higher ranked) my list
There are actually two notable bands that released two albums in 1969 and had nothing on Tim's list. The one I just thought of now is probably the more likely one to show up on your list because they are the more well-known of the two. Though in their case, their second album from '69 isn't that good, but does have one song I like a lot. In the other band's case, I love both their '69 albums. 

Pip's Invitation said:
There are actually two notable bands that released two albums in 1969 and had nothing on Tim's list. The one I just thought of now is probably the more likely one to show up on your list because they are the more well-known of the two. Though in their case, their second album from '69 isn't that good, but does have one song I like a lot. In the other band's case, I love both their '69 albums. 
I 'may' have one later but I had a 'slight' suspicion that one of your groups was the Moody Blues. 

I was shocked by two omissions that would have qualified for Tim's list and they come a bit later on my list but for your two groups...  I think I have at least one coming up later and I'll note it when I post it.

#71  He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies

Their are at least two origination stories behind the story. 

One dating back to 1884: James Wells, Moderator of the United Free Church of Scotland, tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy in his 1884 book The Parables of Jesus. Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn't tired. With surprise she replied: "No, he's not heavy; he's my brother."

The other from 1941:  ...the motto for Boys Town, a community formed in 1917 by a Catholic priest named Father Edward Flanagan. Located in Omaha, Nebraska, it was a place where troubled or homeless boys could come for help. In 1941, Father Flanagan was looking at a magazine called The Messenger when he came across a drawing of a boy carrying a younger boy on his back, with the caption, "He ain't heavy Mr., he's my brother." Father Flanagan thought the image and phrase captured the spirit of Boys Town, so he got permission and commissioned a statue of the drawing with the inscription, "He ain't heavy Father, he's my brother." The statue and phrase became the logo for Boys Town.

I'll go with the earlier version.  Regardless of the backstory the song is a tear jerker and I recall when I moved out west and was riding with my older brother up in the mountains of Colorado.  I was a 19 year old moving out on my own with his help as he got me a place to stay and a job.  I was starting my adult life. 

We were going over a mountain pass, snow everywhere, cold, as the sun was going down and the stars were peeking out as this song came on...  Great memory.

I 'may' have one later but I had a 'slight' suspicion that one of your groups was the Moody Blues. 

I was shocked by two omissions that would have qualified for Tim's list and they come a bit later on my list but for your two groups...  I think I have at least one coming up later and I'll note it when I post it.
Not the Moody Blues.

#78  Dear Prudence - The Beatles

While in India Mia Farrow's sister Pru really got into TM.  Mia asked George and John to intervene because she said that they were the only ones who could get through to her.  I'm not sure if it worked or not but they got this song from the experience. 

John has correctly noted the Beatles weren't great musicians but on the retreat he learned a new finger picking technique from Donovan that he would use in this and later songs.   Lennon has applauded this as one of his favorite Beatle tunes. 
Had this song been available on my list it would have been much higher- top 20 perhaps. 

#101 on my list. Last pick to miss the cutoff. 

I also love the Siouxie cover. 
For Dear Prudence I briefly mentioned Donovan teaching John a new 'finger plucking' technique but failed to say it was a technique that originated from the renowned 'Carter' Family who lifted it from blues musicians.  The Carters were one of the first to turn the guitar into the lead instrument.  They were a MAJOR influence on rock-and-roll.  

The Carter Family is a traditional American folk music group that recorded between 1927 and 1956. Their music had a profound impact on bluegrass, country, Southern Gospel, pop and rock musicians as well as on the U.S. folk revival of the 1960s.

Carter Family picking, also known as the thumb brush, the Carter lick, the church lick, or the Carter scratch, is a style of fingerstyle guitar named after Maybelle Carter of the Carter Family's distinctive style of rhythm guitar in which the melody is played on the bass strings, usually low E, A, and D while rhythm strumming continues above, on the treble strings, G, B, and high E. This often occurs during the break. The style bears similarity to the frailing style of banjo playing and is the rhythm Bill Monroe adapted for bluegrass music two decades later.

With this technique, Carter, who "was among the first" to use it as such, "helped to turn the guitar into a lead instrument". It is unclear how Maybelle developed her then-unique style.

It is known that Maybelle first learned the blues fingerpicking technique around 1930 from Lesley Riddle, an African-American guitarist who used to frequent the Carter family household. Carter can be heard playing in this style on a number of Carter Family recordings. She also played slide guitar and, later, with a flat-pick.

#71  He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies

Their are at least two origination stories behind the story. 

One dating back to 1884: James Wells, Moderator of the United Free Church of Scotland, tells the story of a little girl carrying a big baby boy in his 1884 book The Parables of Jesus. Seeing her struggling, someone asked if she wasn't tired. With surprise she replied: "No, he's not heavy; he's my brother."

The other from 1941:  ...the motto for Boys Town, a community formed in 1917 by a Catholic priest named Father Edward Flanagan. Located in Omaha, Nebraska, it was a place where troubled or homeless boys could come for help. In 1941, Father Flanagan was looking at a magazine called The Messenger when he came across a drawing of a boy carrying a younger boy on his back, with the caption, "He ain't heavy Mr., he's my brother." Father Flanagan thought the image and phrase captured the spirit of Boys Town, so he got permission and commissioned a statue of the drawing with the inscription, "He ain't heavy Father, he's my brother." The statue and phrase became the logo for Boys Town.

I'll go with the earlier version.  Regardless of the backstory the song is a tear jerker and I recall when I moved out west and was riding with my older brother up in the mountains of Colorado.  I was a 19 year old moving out on my own with his help as he got me a place to stay and a job.  I was starting my adult life. 

We were going over a mountain pass, snow everywhere, cold, as the sun was going down and the stars were peeking out as this song came on...  Great memory.
As I mentioned when a version Paul was involved in came up in Krista's solo Beatles countdown, I like this as a sentiment, but not as a song. 

#70  Spinning Wheel - Blood, Sweat & Tears

Certain to irk Krista.  Written by Canadian lead vocalist David Clayton-Thomas.  Won a Grammy for Best Instrumental Arrangement, nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year; the album won the Grammy for Album of the Year.

On the album, this song runs 4:08 and ends with a rave-up where the band plays a rendition of the Austrian folk song "Oh du lieber Augustin," ending with drummer Bobby Colomby saying, "That wasn't too good," and some laughter. This wasn't planned - the band just did it spontaneously and caught it on tape.

#68  Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited

File this under 'you learn something new every day' as this tune is basically Barbara Acklin's song "Am I the Same Girl" that came out a year earlier.

Young-Holt Unlimited took that song and made the instrumental "Soulful Strut" that sold a million copies with the gold record awarded by the RIAA in January 1969, less than 3 months after the track's release.

#67  Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town - Kenny Rogers & The First Edition

Wr wrri wrrittt written by Mel Tillis.  Based off a real life saga of someone Mel knew but not from The Nam.  

Tillis based the song on a couple who lived near his family in Florida. In real life, the man was wounded in Germany in World War II and sent to recuperate in England. There, he married a nurse who took care of him at the hospital. The two of them moved to Florida shortly afterward, but he made periodic return trips to the hospital as problems with his wounds kept flaring up. His wife saw another man as the veteran lay in the hospital.

A lot of controversy surrounded this song when it became a hit for Kenny Rogers in 1969, as the Vietnam War was raging and the song was often assumed to be about a man who came home crippled from that war. Rogers would perform the song in a jovial manner, and the crowd would often clap and sing along, so to some it was seen as disrespectful to veterans. In a 1970 interview with Beat Instrumental, Rogers defended the song, saying: "Look, we don't see ourselves as politicians, even if a lot of pop groups think they are in the running for a Presidential nomination. We are there, primarily, to entertain. Now if we can entertain by providing thought-provoking songs, then that's all to the good. But the guys who said 'Ruby' was about Vietnam were way off target – it was about Korea. But whatever the message, and however you interpret it, fact is that we wouldn't have looked at it if it hadn't been a GOOD song. Just wanna make good records, that's all."

#66  Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor

This had two different release dates: Released February/March 1969 (original UK & US releases) AND October/November 1970 (US & UK reissues) which is odd because it was recorded in Recorded July–October 1968.

I thought for sure that Tim would have had this on his list since he's a big JT pimp and this is a great tune.

And some tabloid back story about the 'mystery' woman named in the song:  

There has been a great deal of speculation as to the identity of Karin, the woman he sings about in the line, "Karin, she's a silver sun." Until 2009, Taylor would not reveal her identity, leading listeners to create their own theories: Some felt that Karin was a poetic name for Carolina, others believed that Karin was a beautiful young woman that James met while on a trip to Spain, and many have said that this song is about drugs, since at the time it was written, Taylor was trying so hard to kick a serious addiction to heroin.

Taylor cleared this up in a concert screened by BBC Television in March 2009, when he revealed the identity of the Karin alluded to in this song.

The album was recorded in London the same time the Beatles recorded their White Album and was released on their Apple label; at some point Taylor skipped across to the island of Formentera, where he met Karin. This appears to have been a fleeting relationship, or perhaps simply a meeting, but he never saw her again. She was Scandinavian, about twenty-four years old, and had shoulder length blonde hair, reminiscent of Annalena Nordstrom in the Wishbone Ash song "Blowin' Free." Her ghost was still haunting him 35 years later, and with the advent of the Internet he decided better late than never, located a police artist and commissioned him to draw a sketch of what she would look like after all this time. The artist e-mailed him a most unflattering sketch the next day as a joke. Though Taylor was pleased with the real sketch, he said that try as he may he couldn't stop thinking of her now as a criminal.

Sadly, unlike Martin Turner, Taylor appears not to have been reunited with his lady friend, whatever their relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
#65  People Got To Be Free - The Rascals

I was a big fan of the group initially known as the Young Rascals.  This song came about when their touring bus broke down in a conservative part of Florida when they had long hair and beards.  The Rascals would only perform at concerts that featured an African American act; if those conditions were not met, the Rascals canceled several shows in protest.

Two decades after it came out writer Dave Marsh included it as number 237 in his book Heart of Rock and Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles of All Time.

#64  Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In - The Fifth Dimension

Being a kid in 69 is directly linked to this song and I loved this tune as I had a big crush on Marilyn McCoo.

Written for the musical Hair it was released a few times as a single and did nothing.  The 5th Dimension presented it to their producer L.A. producer Bones Howe who was hesitant considering its past failure but he came up with tagging the end with a different part of Hair 'Let The Sunshine In' and thought that would work but needed permission to make the change.

"The thing that bothered me about it was that there'd been other releases of 'Aquarius,'" said Bones, "and none had done anything, so I was concerned about what we would do that would be any different. I went to see the show and there's a place where they do "The Flesh Failures" and at the end of the song is just a three bar repeated thing of 'Let the sunshine in' where Ragni was swinging across the stage on a chandelier and there was all kinds of craziness going on. That really stayed with me and I came out of the theater saying, I wonder if I could stick that on the end of 'Aquarius' and make that the ending. So I went back to the hotel and I called the publisher. I mean you don't mess with the music from a Broadway show. I started my professional career in 1956 and I knew a lot about what you can and what you can't do with songs. I said, look the 5th Dimension would like to record 'Aquarius,' but I'd like to make it a medley and I'd like to use the last three bars of 'The Flesh Failures' and I don't want to do it without permission. So he said okay, you can go ahead and do it."

Once he had the melody he got the best musicians backing the vocals from the Wrecking Crew and put out this song that, went platinum, was the number hit of the year, and won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year closing out the swinging sixties.  

Golly, Bracie...  I like your commentaries.  But those quotes in microscopic print are awfully hard on these 61 year-old eyes.  

Golly, Bracie...  I like your commentaries.  But those quotes in microscopic print are awfully hard on these 61 year-old eyes.  
"The thing that bothered me about it was that there'd been other releases of 'Aquarius,'" said Bones, "and none had done anything, so I was concerned about what we would do that would be any different. I went to see the show and there's a place where they do "The Flesh Failures" and at the end of the song is just a three bar repeated thing of 'Let the sunshine in' where Ragni was swinging across the stage on a chandelier and there was all kinds of craziness going on. That really stayed with me and I came out of the theater saying, I wonder if I could stick that on the end of 'Aquarius' and make that the ending. So I went back to the hotel and I called the publisher. I mean you don't mess with the music from a Broadway show. I started my professional career in 1956 and I knew a lot about what you can and what you can't do with songs. I said, look the 5th Dimension would like to record 'Aquarius,' but I'd like to make it a medley and I'd like to use the last three bars of 'The Flesh Failures' and I don't want to do it without permission. So he said okay, you can go ahead and do it."

I'm up to I think 9 albums from 1969 that I absolutely love and that have not had anything taken by Tim or you yet. So I don't foresee any problems pulling off a third 100. 

#62  Give Peace A Chance - The Plastic Ono Band

The anti war anthem that Lennon had high hopes for.  John Lennon told Rolling Stone that he wrote this song to be sung during demonstrations such as The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam. He explained: "In me secret heart I wanted to write something that would take over "We Shall Overcome." I don't know why. The one they always sang, and I thought, 'Why doesn't somebody write something for the people now, that's what my job and our job is.'"

When David Letterman was calling it quits he had a killer's row of celebrities.  His production company was named World Wide Pants.  Letterman's very first guest was Bill Murray who did a take off on the name of Dave's production company with this impromptu version of The Plastic Ono tune . 

#62  Give Peace A Chance - The Plastic Ono Band

The anti war anthem that Lennon had high hopes for.  John Lennon told Rolling Stone that he wrote this song to be sung during demonstrations such as The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam. He explained: "In me secret heart I wanted to write something that would take over "We Shall Overcome." I don't know why. The one they always sang, and I thought, 'Why doesn't somebody write something for the people now, that's what my job and our job is.'"

When David Letterman was calling it quits he had a killer's row of celebrities.  His production company was named World Wide Pants.  Letterman's very first guest was Bill Murray who did a take off on the name of Dave's production company with this impromptu version of The Plastic Ono tune . 
I like the idea behind the song much more than the song itself, but can’t argue about its importance.

#61 Hey Tomorrow - Jim Croce

I actually had this song one-spot below but Encyclopedia Brown just started a thread on Croce and I didn't want any spotlighting.

I have to quickly explain this selection since many won't find it listed in 1969 when it was.

Jim and his wife put out a folk album and rushed it to the point it was listed under THREE different titles.  The 'most popular' one failed to have this song on its tracks but the album didn't sell very well and was mostly forgotten.

Three years later Jim put out his most popular album and included this tune which was about him starting to become popular as a folk singer which was back in 1969.

GREAT TUNE!  

Here's more detail connecting the song to 1969.

First the album by Jim and Ingrid was released in 69 under three different names which they BOTH WROTE it in 68, Ingrid was later cut out of writing credits when the song was re-released in 1972.

Jim & Ingrid Croce is an album by American singer-songwriter Jim Croce and his wife Ingrid, released in 1969. The album has been rereleased with alternate titles such as "Bombs over Puerto Rico", "Another Day, Another Town", and "Approaching Day".

This optimistic and reflective song was written in 1968, when Jim Croce was at a turning point in his music career. He and his wife Ingrid had signed a production deal with Terry Cashman and Tommy West, and moved from their rural Pennsylvania home to New York City, where they expected to make an album for Capitol Records. Jim's father was not pleased with his son's career path, and sent him a letter disparaging Jim for "wasting" four years of college (Villanova University) and failing to find a stable job. Jim was disappointed, but became more determined than ever to make a living with his music and prove his father wrong.

According to Jim's widow Ingrid Croce, they wrote this song one night in the small apartment they were renting in the Bronx. Jim and Ingrid recorded as a duo at that time, and when they recorded this song and the other tracks for the album, Ingrid says the sessions felt rushed, and the album was a flop (variations of the album have appeared under a few different titles, including "Approaching Day" and "Bombs over Puerto Rico" - many releases did not include this track). Croce's next album was his breakthrough You Don't Mess Around With Jim, which was released in 1972, and Jim recorded a new version of "Hey Tomorrow" as the final track. This time, Ingrid's writing credit was removed and Jim received sole songwriting credit.

Bracie Smathers said:
#66  Carolina In My Mind - James Taylor

This had two different release dates: Released February/March 1969 (original UK & US releases) AND October/November 1970 (US & UK reissues) which is odd because it was recorded in Recorded July–October 1968.

I thought for sure that Tim would have had this on his list since he's a big JT pimp and this is a great tune.

And some tabloid back story about the 'mystery' woman named in the song:  

There has been a great deal of speculation as to the identity of Karin, the woman he sings about in the line, "Karin, she's a silver sun." Until 2009, Taylor would not reveal her identity, leading listeners to create their own theories: Some felt that Karin was a poetic name for Carolina, others believed that Karin was a beautiful young woman that James met while on a trip to Spain, and many have said that this song is about drugs, since at the time it was written, Taylor was trying so hard to kick a serious addiction to heroin.

Taylor cleared this up in a concert screened by BBC Television in March 2009, when he revealed the identity of the Karin alluded to in this song.

The album was recorded in London the same time the Beatles recorded their White Album and was released on their Apple label; at some point Taylor skipped across to the island of Formentera, where he met Karin. This appears to have been a fleeting relationship, or perhaps simply a meeting, but he never saw her again. She was Scandinavian, about twenty-four years old, and had shoulder length blonde hair, reminiscent of Annalena Nordstrom in the Wishbone Ash song "Blowin' Free." Her ghost was still haunting him 35 years later, and with the advent of the Internet he decided better late than never, located a police artist and commissioned him to draw a sketch of what she would look like after all this time. The artist e-mailed him a most unflattering sketch the next day as a joke. Though Taylor was pleased with the real sketch, he said that try as he may he couldn't stop thinking of her now as a criminal.

Sadly, unlike Martin Turner, Taylor appears not to have been reunited with his lady friend, whatever their relationship.
I missed that this song was released early. Damn. It certainly would have made the top 50 of my list. 

#61 Hey Tomorrow - Jim Croce

I actually had this song one-spot below but Encyclopedia Brown just started a thread on Croce and I didn't want any spotlighting.

I have to quickly explain this selection since many won't find it listed in 1969 when it was.

Jim and his wife put out a folk album and rushed it to the point it was listed under THREE different titles.  The 'most popular' one failed to have this song on its tracks but the album didn't sell very well and was mostly forgotten.

Three years later Jim put out his most popular album and included this tune which was about him starting to become popular as a folk singer which was back in 1969.

GREAT TUNE!  
Love this song and missed it as well. Not sure it would have made the top 100, but it definitely belongs here. 

Users who are viewing this thread