What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jalen Guyton - WR - LAC - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

toppshelff

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread for Guyton, thought I'd start it here.  Clearly, he is only a stash for dynasty at this time.  A boom/bust so far with his deep balls.

Sounds like discipline might have hampered college success, and a questionable decision to declare early?  

A diamond in the rough?

From wikipedia:

High school[edit]

Guyton attended Allen High School in Allen, Texas, where he played high school football and was a teammate of Kyler Murray. He caught 42 passes for 1,028 yards with 13 touchdowns in his junior season. As a senior, Guyton pulled in 82 receptions for 1,770 yards with 22 touchdowns as Allen won their third straight State Title with an overall three-year record of 47–1 including 32 straight victories.[1]

College career[edit]

Guyton began his collegiate career at Notre Dame, redshirting his true freshman season. He left the program after being suspended for disciplinary reasons and transferred to Trinity Valley Community College. In his only season with the Cardinals, Guyton caught 45 passes for 968 yards and 12 touchdowns. He committed to transfer to the University of North Texas over offers from Marshall, Bowling Green and West Virginia.[2]

In his first year with the Mean Green, Guyton posted 49 receptions for 775 yards and led the team with nine receiving touchdowns and was named the Conference USA co-Newcomer of the Year as well as second team all-conference.[3] As a redshirt junior, he caught 54 passes for 805 yards and six touchdowns. Following the end of the season, Guyton announced he would be forgoing his final year of NCAA eligibility to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.[4]

Professional career[edit]

Dallas Cowboys[edit]

Guyton was signed by the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2019.[5] He was waived by the team on August 30, 2019 during final roster cuts.[6]

Los Angeles Chargers[edit]

Guyton was signed by the Los Angeles Chargers to their practice squad on October 23, 2019.[7] The Chargers promoted Guyton to the active roster on November 30, 2019.[8] Guyton caught a 16-yard pass from Tyrod Taylor for his first career reception in 2020 season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals[9] In Week 2, against the Kansas City Chiefs, he scored his first professional touchdown on a 14-yard reception from Justin Herbert in the 23–20 overtime loss.[10] In Week 4 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Guyton recorded one reception for a 72-yard touchdown during the 38–31 loss. [11]"

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy I didn't realize he was 6'1, 4.35 /40 he's really on the radar seeing this, will he have the opportunity there though?  

Keenan, Williams is Guyton starting?

He seems to be starting in 3 WR sets.  And with Hunter Henry and Ekeler, the targets may be limited.  But clearly Herbert likes him.  And he only needs a target or two if he is going to keep taking them 70+ to the house.

Was very hesitant till I saw his snap count rate this season.  Think the staff is building trust in him.  Willing to take the chance as an end of the deep roster/taxi stash.   

Was very hesitant till I saw his snap count rate this season.  Think the staff is building trust in him.  Willing to take the chance as an end of the deep roster/taxi stash.   
The team needs to get him more of the ball. Screens, reverses, lining him up in the backfield etc. He's a playmaker who needs the ball in his hands more. I also don't see Mike Williams having a long term future in LAC with the injuries and all he's had over the last few seasons 

Snap Count percentages below.  Even with Williams healthy, Guyton is in over half the time.  And what are the chances that Keenan and/or Williams get hurt again this season?

Keenan Allen         357

95% 98% 96% 94% 17% 85%

Jalen Guyton         318

64% 53% 81% 85% 92% 67%

Mike Williams          288

78% 89% 51% 0%  77% 75%

I am trying to figure out if this guy is better to roster or Marcus Johnson, Indianapolis?

Jalen Guyton caught 4-of-6 targets for 91 yards in the Chargers' Week 15 overtime win over the Raiders. 

With Keenan Allen and Mike Williams both severely hobbled, Guyton lead the Chargers' wideouts in snaps and yards. Guyton also committed a drop and drew 48 yards worth of penalties. He was tormenting Raiders CB Trayvon Mullen. The speedster entered this evening with just 119 yards over his past seven games. His Week 16 playing time will depend on Allen and Williams' health. They have 10 days to get ready for a matchup with the Broncos. Guyton is worth an end-of-bench spot in Dynasty leagues. He is still only 23. 

Dec 18, 2020, 12:36 AM ET

Jalen Guyton caught 3-of-5 targets for 48 yards in the Chargers' 20-16 Week 1 win over Washington. 

Guyton, primarily a deep threat for Justin Herbert, distinguished himself as LA's No. 3 wideout behind Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. Guyton connected with Herbert for a 22-yard reception in the first quarter and was on the field in three-wideout sets. With 72.4 percent of Herbert's attempts going to wide receivers in Week 1, the blazing fast Guyton could easily emerge as an intriguing option in 14-team leagues this year. 

Looking to fill a WR #3 slot after losing E Moore with Waddle on a bye. A one week play perhaps. Guyton seems like he has athletic skills and very talented, but came with a lil troubled disciplinary past. Perhaps he has put much of that behind him, 

I did make a move picking up Crowder, but don't like the Jets chances to score too many points and Crowder is more possession. He will get targeted. Seems to fall short on the TD's. 

With Allen out, and M Williams in, Guyton could be in line for some work and is a deep threat too.

Anyone rolling with Jalen Guyton this week. Guyton > Crowder, the two DET WR's (A St. Brown or J Reynolds), and E Sanders, who seems to have slipped in the target share. I do start J Allen. Allen to Sanders would be nice. However, I'm almost talking myself into starting Guyton now. I do start M Williams in another league, so what. Guyton will slide into a sizeable roll for the LAC.

How well does the LAC passing attack succeed vs zone defenses this year? Giants are heavy zone. If the deep threat is effective against that scheme, then Guyton could have a big day. 

Anyone rolling with Jalen Guyton this week. Guyton > Crowder, the two DET WR's (A St. Brown or J Reynolds), and E Sanders, who seems to have slipped in the target share. 
I also lost E. Moore and have Waddle on bye, but I’m going A St. Brown over Guyton. Just feel like he has a higher ceiling with Detroit likely playing from behind and needing to throw more than LAC.

Good luck!

How well does the LAC passing attack succeed vs zone defenses this year? Giants are heavy zone. If the deep threat is effective against that scheme, then Guyton could have a big day. 
They don't give up big plays and play sort of disciplined so I don't like it for a guy like him. This game plan should be dink and dink with Williams the tight ends with ekeler. Guy ton will do his usual Clear out routine 

Yes, he is fast and a deep threat. I can see A Ekeler having a huge game and at what point will the LAC close them out with a solid defensive effort as well? Will they need to throw in the 4th quarter that much? I'm looking at a one-week WR #3 play myself. 

Jalen Guyton caught all three of his targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Los Angeles' Week 14 win over the Giants.

Guyton was infamously the recipient of Justin Herbert's 63-yard missile through the air, hitting the former in stride for a 59-yard touchdown to end the first half. Even so, Guyton's role notably did not change without Allen, running 24 routes to Josh Palmer's team-high 34 and Mike Williams' 33. Guyton can still deliver splash plays once Allen returns but should be viewed as a boom-or-bust option best used in high-scoring affairs.

Dec 13, 2021, 9:26 AM ET

ESPN's Lindsey Thiry named WR Jalen Guyton as Los Angeles' offseason standout. 

"Jalen Guyton was fantastic in the offseason," Brandon Staley noted as the Chargers wrapped until training camp. "This guy made a lot of big plays for us in the spring. He came in, physically, just in great shape. He's moving great. I thought that he was able to move around. He really did a nice job on special teams." Guyton and Josh Palmer will be fighting for the No. 3 role in Los Angeles' offense in training camp and Guyton's speed has caught eyes even if Palmer is probably the leader heading into camp. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 3, 2022, 5:27 PM ET

Jalen will need injuries in front of him to be fantasy relevant.  He was 6th on the team in targets last year, and the same crew is in front of him.  And they updraged at TE.

Jalen will need injuries in front of him to be fantasy relevant.  He was 6th on the team in targets last year, and the same crew is in front of him.  And they updraged at TE.
I agree. Staley also specifically talked about his special teams role and using his speed and experience against press coverage to play gunner. I think he's a great last round pick in best ball as you can pretty much guarantee that he'll have a spike week or two but can't see drafting him in a managed league.

Users who are viewing this thread