What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music List Thread Top 10 (your personal faves). All will be listed on the OP with credit given. Pick any subject/genre/era we got you here. (2 Viewers)

The only thing more egregious than putting "Without You" ahead of "Home Sweet Home" is putting "Crazy" over "Dream On".

This is an amazing list. Will add to OP
Thank you.  As I was making it, I had a moment there and I thought "crap, I wonder how many of these songs were in Boogie Nights. . . I hope not many!"  I still haven't checked but it "feels" like a lot of them would have been in that movie.  Ah well, whatever, most of these are the soundtrack of my pre-teen youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for the group: Do you have a specific definition for power ballad, or is it just "slow song by a hard rock or heavy metal band"? 

Alright, lets see if I can check out what was taken and find 10 more that still rock (but in a sensitive kind of way)

Not really - kind of like yacht rock, you just know it when you hear it.

Basically I see it as a song by a typically hard rock/metal band that is slower in pace but intersperses or finishes with a faster edge.
I don't even think it has to be a hard rock or metal act -- though I do realize you included the word "typically".

"Total Eclipse of the Heart", for instance, is a power ballad all day. "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister. "The Search is Over" by Survivor (or are they 'hard rock' enough?). REO Speedwagon has a few worth mentioning -- "Keep on Loving You", "Can't Fight This Feeling", "In My Dreams", and "One Lonely Night". I think I'd throw Styx's "Lady" and "Babe" into this hat, too.

#### you guys took a lot of songs and I may have missed some of the one offers but here we go

10. Forever Free by W.A.S.P

9. Amanda by Boston

8. When I Look Into Your Eyes by Firehouse 

7. Wait by White Lion 

6. Second Chance by 38 Special

5. When I'm With You by Sherrif 

4. Cover Me by Candlebox

3. Wind of Change by The Scorpions and the CIA

2. Cemetery Gates by Pantera

1. High Enough by Damn Yankees

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard She's Only 17 on sirius XM yesterday and thought of this tune. Love Rod Mortgenstein's work on drums with this band - the musicianship for the whole group is insane.
Reb Beach's guitar work was also serious.

Winger was a solid band that got sold up the river a bit to capitalize on Kip Winger's looks in the slowly-waning days of The Music Video. Like many in the genre, the ascendency of grunge was an unseen right hook to the jaw.

I don't even think it has to be a hard rock or metal act -- though I do realize you included the word "typically".

"Total Eclipse of the Heart", for instance, is a power ballad all day. "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister. "The Search is Over" by Survivor (or are they 'hard rock' enough?). REO Speedwagon has a few worth mentioning -- "Keep on Loving You", "Can't Fight This Feeling", "In My Dreams", and "One Lonely Night". I think I'd throw Styx's "Lady" and "Babe" into this hat, too.
Fair points - the power ballad genre took off with the ‘80s hard rock/metal scene, but power ballads preceded and thrived beyond that segment.

I even contradicted my own definition by including in my top 10 the classic rocker Peter Frampton and prog rockers Wishbone Ash (IMO one of the most underrated bands in rock history, but that’s for another thread)

#### you guys took a lot of songs and I may have missed some of the one offers but here we go

10. Forever Free by W.A.S.P

9. Amanda by Boston

8. When I Look Into Your Eyes by Firehouse 

7. Wait by White Lion 

6. Second Chance by 38 Special

5. When I'm With You by Sherrif 

4. Cover Me by Candlebox

3. Winds of Change by The Scorpions and the CIA

2. Cemetery Gates by Pantera

1. High Enough by Damn Yankees
Awesome list

I consider Hair Bands from the late 80's to be the low point in music of the last 70 years.  But nearly every one of those bands had at least one really good ballad.

Mark Andes went from Spirit in the '60s to Firefall in the '70s to Heart (the power ballad incarnation) in the '80s. He was a true trendhopper. 
🤔 I saw Firefall open for Heart and thought that they were anything but what ever was considered Yacht Rock. They were pretty rocking.

I didn't know Heart was recruiting at the time or I would have had my resume turned in. 

The Without You choice over Home Sweet Home is and has always been sentimental. When my dad would leave the house for work it's the first song my bro and I would put on full blast (Dr Feelgood the first album). 

I grew up w a lot of abuse from my dad and we would play that in celebration of him leaving. 

That's it, that's the story, thanks for reading 

We even used to pretend to be in the music video. I love those moments and I love my brother for always being there after a beating 

Users who are viewing this thread