What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Music List Thread Top 10 (your personal faves). All will be listed on the OP with credit given. Pick any subject/genre/era we got you here. (1 Viewer)

Good call on Ambrosia. Not sure if they were mentioned earlier but another band in that same realm with a few well known hits and an underrated overall output is Climax Blues Band.

One of their signature tunes I Love You is great IMO and yacht-ish.
They fascinate me because their two biggest US hits, this and Couldn't Get It Right, could not possibly be any different from one another. I didn't learn until a few years ago that they were by the same band. Different styles, different arrangements, different guy in the band singing. But only 5 years apart -- that's how quickly things were changing back then. 

This is spot on commentary. I hope you guys will be here when I cover Tupac as well. Shoot I might even get on my piano and cover some of my favorite Bruce Hornsby songs. This is amazing 
I saw him in concert several years ago.  He's got a lot of solid stuff.  I'm a big fan of Jimmy Webb as a song writer.

Doug B said:
What does “gatekeeping” mean in the title?

Ambrosia helps legitimize any soft rock list :thumbup:
Someone posts in a fantasy board, "Hey I am new to fantasy football and have an 8 person draft this weekend, I am debating if I should take Mahomes or Saquon with the 2nd pick?"

Gatekeepers might say

"I only play in 16 team Superflex PPR dynasty leagues dude" 

"Join a real league"

"Mahomes with the 2nd pick? LOL" 

Ok, I can't do any debates. Here is another shot at 10 more Yacht Rock songs. Good bye to summer.

10. Steppin Out by Joe Jackson

9. No Tell Lover by Chicago

8. Peg by Steely Dan

7. Somebody's Baby by Jackson Browne

6. Sara Smile by Hall and Oates

5. Georgy Porgy by Toto

4. Lowdown by Boz Scaggs

3. Dance With Me by Orleans

2. Right Down the Line by Gerry Rafferty

1. Ride Like the Wind by Christopher Cross featuring Michael MFN'McDonald

Ok, I can't do any debates. Here is another shot at 10 more Yacht Rock songs. Good bye to summer.

Two things:

First Thing: I logged on here precisely for that reason, so I'm not just looking to be contentious when I bring up the...

Second thing: Joe Jackson is yacht rock? Really? That's tune is, uh, rockin' to me. 

eta* The rest besides Jackson Browne seems a-ok to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things:

First Thing: I logged on here precisely for that reason, so I'm not just looking to be contentious when I bring up the...

Second thing: Joe Jackson is yacht rock? Really? That's tune is, uh, rockin' to me. 

West Coast easy listening adult rock of the mid 70s-mid 80s is how I see yacht rock. Steppin Out got 10th because it's not the best fit and he's English, not West Coast American but I think it shares a lot of the breezy on a boat in the evening qualities. Do you not like Jackson Browne?

West Coast easy listening adult rock of the mid 70s-mid 80s is how I see yacht rock. Steppin Out got 10th because it's not the best fit and he's English, not West Coast American but I think it shares a lot of the breezy on a boat in the evening qualities. Do you not like Jackson Browne?
Ah, okay.

As for the bold font, naw, he's fine, I just thought both songs rocked a little too hard for yacht rock. I actually drafted Jackson Browne recently in cosjobs' food draft thread.  

9. No Tell Lover by Chicago

8. Peg by Steely Dan

7. Somebody's Baby by Jackson Browne

6. Sara Smile by Hall and Oates

5. Georgy Porgy by Toto

4. Lowdown by Boz Scaggs

3. Dance With Me by Orleans

2. Right Down the Line by Gerry Rafferty

1. Ride Like the Wind by Christopher Cross featuring Michael MFN'McDonald
i think my first big intro to this genre was working in a grocery store back in the day. i had no idea it was called yacht rock. we always called it [insert name of grocery store chain] music. this list of yours is like the greatest hits volume 1 version of an 8-hour day

i think my first big intro to this genre was working in a grocery store back in the day. i had no idea it was called yacht rock. we always called it [insert name of grocery store chain] music. this list of yours is like the greatest hits volume 1 version. this list here was well represented
Depending on how long ago that was, it wasn't called yacht rock at the time. The term didn't exist until 2005, when a video series by that name debuted. 

Two things:

You will never be contentious here. This is for all opinions to talk about music (my favorite thing in the world)

Day 2 Of This Project -

TOP 10 POWER BALLADS 

10. Def Leppard - Love Bites (If I didnt cave to modern day playlists, this would be 1) (also...what has 9 arms and sucks?)

9. Motley Crue - Without You (come on dude ok this one was my indulgence pick)

8. Heart - Alone (come on)

7. Ozzy Osbourne w Lita Ford - If I Close My Eyes Forever (if this not in your top 10 I dont want to know you)

6. Saigon Kick - Love Is On The Way (This was the singer from Tesla and I forget where the guitarist came from but this deserves a power ballad nod)

5. Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got Til It's Gone

4. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters - This is a stretch to call a Power Ballad but I would have it one if it was even debatable 

3. Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie (Could also be yacht rock)

2. Guns N Roses - Patience (I dont feel bad about this one, could easily be 1)

1. Extreme - Wholehearted (this is going to be EXTREME-ly controversial but I think it encapsulates a power ballad)

I missed a ton and I misordered even these 10 - this is where I want discussion - your own 10 that I missed. I will keep the original post open and edited with all lists. Love to all. Im a pianist and singer so I def favor the piano ballads.

Day 2 Of This Project -

TOP 10 POWER BALLADS 

10. Def Leppard - Love Bites (If I didnt cave to modern day playlists, this would be 1) (also...what has 9 arms and sucks?)

9. Motley Crue - Without You

8. Heart - Alone

7. Ozzy Osbourne w Lita Ford - If I Close My Eyes Forever

6. Saigon Kick - Love Is On The Way

5. Cinderella - Don't Know What You Got Til It's Gone

4. Metallica - Nothing Else Matters - This is a stretch to call a Power Ballad but I would have it one if it was even debatable 

2. Guns N Roses - Patience

1. Extreme - Wholehearted (this is going to be EXTREME-ly controversial but I think it encapsulates a power ballad)

I missed a ton and I misordered even these 10 - this is where I want discussion - your own 10 that I missed. I will keep the original post open and edited with all lists. Love to all
Silent Lucidity deserves a spot here if I had a spot for 11.

Hey, I can bring up Ambrosia again.

When they went to make Road Island, which would turn out to be their final album, in 1982, yacht rock wasn't really a thing anymore. Working with James Guthrie, who had co-produced The Wall, they crafted a sound that to me comes off as a hybrid of Wall-era Floyd and Journey. One of the tracks they came up with was this power ballad, which is worthy of Steve Perry:

Feelin' Alive Again

I wonder what would have happened if they had released this as a single (presumably cut down since it's over 6 minutes). The single they did release flopped, after which the record company stopped promoting the album, and the band broke up shortly thereafter. 

Just nitpicking a bit on the choices here:  

AndrewClark said:
6. Saigon Kick - Love Is On The Way (This was the singer from Tesla and I forget where the guitarist came from but this deserves a power ballad nod)
Not Jeff Keith on vocals

AndrewClark said:
Not sure where the power is other than Waddy Wachtel's nice solo.

AndrewClark said:
I've always liked this song. Also like the cameos in the video by two Boston Bruins at the time (Cam Neely and Lyndon Byers).

AndrewClark said:
So I love music. This thread will be top 10 New Rap to Top 10 yacht rock thread. If @timschochet taught me anything, it taught me self indulgence is allowed here. I encourage all to participate. You might get top 10 Ice Cube top songs one day but top 10 George Harrison the next.

This is the basic top 10 for the genre, not in general before you get angry

aka this is basically my song vomit

Yacht Rock

-Yacht Rock 2 by Ilov80s

-Yacht Rock 3 by @llov80s

-Yacht Rock by @Doug B

Power Ballads
I’m flattered by the reference. Interesting thread. I’m a big fan of a lot of yacht rock. 

Users who are viewing this thread