What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quintez Cephus, DET (1 Viewer)

QUINTEZ CEPHUS: GETTING OPEN

PUBLISHED TUE AUG 18 6:29:46 P.M. ET 2020 

(RotoWire) Cephus is impressing with his ability to get open during training camp, Nick Baumgardner of The Athletic reports.

Analysis: Cephus had the worst time in the 40-yard dash among all participating receivers at this year's combine, and it doesn't sound like he's making anyone forget about that. However, Cephus's lack of speed might make it even more impressive that he was able to make a pair of big grabs against No. 3 overall pick Jeff Okudah on Tuesday. While it will be hard for Cephus to see the field in 2020 as long as Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, and Danny Amendola are healthy, dynasty owners should keep in mind that none of those three are currently under contract in 2021.

So it looks good for him 2021 going forward.  Search here looks like a lot of shark pool people drafted him. Did not see a thread while searching. 

93-1496-13 at Wisconsin

Last edited by a moderator:
The talk has been so positive on this guy all camp. I think he needs an injury to do anything this year but if Marvin gone in 2021, Cephus seems built to replace him and is more valuable dynasty piece than we anticipated.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he pushed Amendola for slot snaps right away. Amendola is 34 and hasn’t met an injury he isn’t prone to. 

Beat writers seemed to be saying if Cephus keeps getting open against everyone, they’ll have no choice but to play him. May have been in one of the articles linked in this thread (don’t recall exactly), but comparisons to Anquan Boldin were being made. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if he pushed Amendola for slot snaps right away. Amendola is 34 and hasn’t met an injury he isn’t prone to. 

Beat writers seemed to be saying if Cephus keeps getting open against everyone, they’ll have no choice but to play him. May have been in one of the articles linked in this thread (don’t recall exactly), but comparisons to Anquan Boldin were being made. 
Boldin had over 200 yards in his first NFL game so if he’s that good, Marvin and Kenny might need to step aside. I however think it’s a far cry from getting open in drills with the media present and getting on the field in an NFL game. I would love to see it but it seems like a stretch. Ideally we see Amendola, Swift, Hock and maybe even Agnew mix in at the slot. Also I thought Cephus was more an outside WR but I can’t say for sure that he’s better at one spot or another.

10 targets but only 3 catches...anyone know why? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
from MLive (this is a new beat writer so I don’t have a good feel if I trust him yet):

-- Quintez Cephus logged a whopping 62 offensive snaps in his NFL debut. Kenny Golladay was out with a hamstring injury, leaving Cephus, Marvin Hall and Jamal Agnew to fill some reps.

The fifth-round rookie had some good and some bad. Still, he had Matthew Stafford’s attention throughout the entire game. Cephus hauled in three of his team-leading 10 targets for 43 yards. He and the Lions quarterback seemed to have a miscommunication in the red zone in the first half. He later dropped another look. All three of his catches moved the chains, so it’s not all bad. Cephus looked great in camp, and it sure looks like he has Stafford’s faith out of the gates.

Quintez Cephus is expected to “get a lot of playing time” in Week 2 against the Packers.

Cephus started and had a team-high 10 targets on a 79% snap rate with Kenny Golladay (hamstring) out last week. He caught just three of those passes and his targets seem likely to go down, but Cephus is going to play a lot in what projects as a high-scoring game. Cephus is a plug-in WR4 and DFS punt play.

SOURCE: MLive.com

Sep 19, 2020, 12:39 PM ET

Getting opportunities is a good sign. Now can he convert on more of those this week?  He's still a hold and watch player for me but I'm intrigued anytime a rookie gets this much play this early.

Getting opportunities is a good sign. Now can he convert on more of those this week?  He's still a hold and watch player for me but I'm intrigued anytime a rookie gets this much play this early.
It’s good he got so many looks, but you’d like to see him do better when Stanford throws him the ball. He had two pretty bad drops early. Maybe it was nerves. All 22 I thought he looked ok or good whatever that’s worth.

Quintez Cephus caught 2-of-3 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 13 win against the Bears. 

Cephus was among several Lions pass catchers who benefited from Matthew Stafford's 402-yard day against the Bears. The Lions reportedly want to get Cephus more playing time down the final stretch of a lost season, though he only ran 20 pass routes against Chicago. Fantasy managers in deep leagues might scoop up Cephus if they have several flex spots to fill. 

Dec 7, 2020, 10:55 AM ET

Quintez Cephus caught 2-of-3 targets for 51 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 17 loss to the Vikings.

A fifth-round rookie from Wisconsin, Cephus turned 10 targets and approximately one million air yards into a 3-43-0 receiving line in the season opener. He didn’t eclipse four targets in any other contest despite Kenny Golladay missing 11 games. Cephus will compete for the second outside receiver job this offseason with Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola set for free agency, but the Lions will certainly look for a more-promising replacement in the upcoming NFL Draft. Cephus caught 20 passes for 347 yards and two touchdowns as a 22-year-old rookie.

- Rotoworld
I hope he eventually gets the nickname of "Bo".

While Perriman and Tyrell Williams are real injury concerns due to their history, I just don't see Quintez as a outside threat due to his lack of speed and size.  He will be competing with Amon-Ra in the slot, which I give Amon-Ra the upper hand.  I see the Lions targeting another deep threat WR in free agency although they did bring in several interesting UDFA.   Quintez is an interesting deep sleeper in that if he does get the slot job he could see lots of targets. 

He's been a star in the 3 day veteran minicamp that concludes today. Goff seems to have great chemistry with Hock, Tyrell Williams, Swift and the guys you expect to be the WR4/5 - Cephus and Victor Bolden. Perriman has not made a strong first impression and it's not clear by any means who the WR1 is going to be. Personally I think ARSB locks down the Slot and becomes the lead WR in targets, but I'd be surprised if any of them top 80-85 targets. This is going to be an offense which overall has a low average depth of targets and they're going to be a relatively rush heavy team given the outstanding line personnel they have. Pace wise they'll probably be in the bottom quarter in plays run (28th last year at 61.9.) They'll be losing often so I do expect Goff to top 4400 and 625 attempts but so many of those targets will go to Hock, Swift, Williams and ARSB, I don't think any of their receiving options are going to be fantasy relevant. There is no alph or target hog on this team and very few of their current WRs will be on the roster in three years. This is a terrible WR room and they should all be avoided except for bye week filler in a plus matchup.

In-house Lions beat writer Tim Twentyman reports the team's quarterbacks were "looking Quintez Cephus' way early and often throughout practice" in minicamp. 

Cephus is a 23-year-old second-year fifth-rounder. Per Twentyman, Cephus "looks to have really expanded the route tree in year two," and is "starting to have a really good feel for some of the little nuances that help receivers gain separation from defenders." Twentyman believes Cephus has "a real shot to carve out a significant receiving role this year." Likely to get the first crack in the slot in the post-Danny Amendola era, Cephus probably won't make much of a fantasy impact, but he could affect fourth-rounder Amon-Ra St. Brown's status. It is St. Brown whom Cephus figures to battle for snaps. 

SOURCE: detroitlions.com 

Jun 12, 2021, 2:22 PM ET

Highest Passer Rating when Targeted among rookie WRs in 2020:

1. DET Quintez Cephus - 120.4
2. JAX Laviska Shenault Jr. - 119.0
3. PIT Chase Claypool - 116.7
4. MIN Justin Jefferson - 116.4
Interesting - hadn't seen that. He's a bit forgotten as owners seem to be focusing on Tyrell Williams, Perriman, and St. Brown but Williams and Perriman have often been banged up. Hockenson is obviously the player to own among the pass-catchers and Swift/Williams should see their fair share of targets, too, so I'm not sure how much there will be to go around, but I'll be keeping an eye on Cephus.

The Man With No Name said:
Highest Passer Rating when Targeted among rookie WRs in 2020:

1. DET Quintez Cephus - 120.4
2. JAX Laviska Shenault Jr. - 119.0
3. PIT Chase Claypool - 116.7
4. MIN Justin Jefferson - 116.4
Cephus only got 35 targets. Next lowest of these 4 was Shenault with more than double that (79).

Amon-Ra was running with the 1s during minicamp, but there were good reports about Cephus as well. I don't think he'll see volume during the regular season barring injury but he seems all but certain to make the team. Probably the WR4 on a bad team, but they should be throwing often as they'll be behind every week.

I had cooled on Quintez with the drafting of Amon-Ra,  then a FantasyPros writer made this comment that caught my eye:

"The Lions have some journeymen clogging up the depth chart, but it may very well be Cephus joining Amon-Ra St. Brown in two-wide sets by the end of the year. Cephus is a bench stash who can prove to be a lottery ticket."

I had cooled on Quintez with the drafting of Amon-Ra,  then a FantasyPros writer made this comment that caught my eye:

"The Lions have some journeymen clogging up the depth chart, but it may very well be Cephus joining Amon-Ra St. Brown in two-wide sets by the end of the year. Cephus is a bench stash who can prove to be a lottery ticket."
Tyrell will be the #1 deep threat, but Cephus and Amon-Ra will get more targets.  Cephus will be a solid bye week guy like a WR4 type.   I don't see Perryman being the guy.  He has already failed to shine in numerous chances and you really are not hearing anything about him.  He could actually get cut, although I hope he realizes this is his last chance. 

Tyrell will be the #1 deep threat, but Cephus and Amon-Ra will get more targets.  Cephus will be a solid bye week guy like a WR4 type.   I don't see Perryman being the guy.  He has already failed to shine in numerous chances and you really are not hearing anything about him.  He could actually get cut, although I hope he realizes this is his last chance. 
Perriman is more than serviceable when healthy and has oodles more speed than Cephus. I watched him with Tampa and then the Jets last year when he had no quarterback to get him the football. But that's when he's healthy. Each roster needs six or seven receivers. Perriman is likely to make your team and start.

Perriman is more than serviceable when healthy and has oodles more speed than Cephus. I watched him with Tampa and then the Jets last year when he had no quarterback to get him the football. But that's when he's healthy. Each roster needs six or seven receivers. Perriman is likely to make your team and start.
The coaches seem much higher on Cephus than Perriman.  Perriman has been on 5 teams in 6 years.  That has to be something about him that teams move on from him perhaps it is work ethic.  

The coaches seem much higher on Cephus than Perriman.  Perriman has been on 5 teams in 6 years.  That has to be something about him that teams move on from him perhaps it is work ethic.  
Perhaps it is work ethic. I know his fitness to play is often in question. He has a promising few games to close out years, and then he's hurt for the majority of the year. My comment wasn't to pick nits in yours, really, it's just that I got to watch Perriman play firsthand and know he's a quality receiver when healthy. How that factors into the Lions plans is probably more yours, Leroys, BLs, ilov80s, etc., thing to comment on more so than me.

I can just tell you about Perriman. I know TB moved on because they had enough receivers and he'd priced himself out of their market range with the four or five games he had at the end of the year there. He got a one-year prove it with the Jets for $8 M of his own volition in what was supposed to be a career-defining year, but got hurt again for the majority of it. So, that's Perriman. Quality receiver, oft-injured. From the beginning of his career, even. It's too bad, really. 

Perhaps it is work ethic. I know his fitness to play is often in question. He has a promising few games to close out years, and then he's hurt for the majority of the year. My comment wasn't to pick nits in yours, really, it's just that I got to watch Perriman play firsthand and know he's a quality receiver when healthy. How that factors into the Lions plans is probably more yours, Leroys, BLs, ilov80s, etc., thing to comment on more so than me.

I can just tell you about Perriman. I know TB moved on because they had enough receivers and he'd priced himself out of their market range with the four or five games he had at the end of the year there. He got a one-year prove it with the Jets for $8 M of his own volition in what was supposed to be a career-defining year, but got hurt again for the majority of it. So, that's Perriman. Quality receiver, oft-injured. From the beginning of his career, even. It's too bad, really. 
Can’t comment too much on what the new staff wants but Perriman physically seems capabale of some things that nobody else on the roster is. Early reports from the people covering the team haven’t been good though. 

Quintez Cephus caught 3-of-7 targets for 12 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 1 loss to the 49ers.

[Bo] Cephus' seven targets led all Lions' WRs on a day T.J. Hockenson, D'Andre Swift, and Jamaal Williams combined for 30 targets. Cephus didn't do anything until late in garbage time when he secured a jump-ball two-yard touchdown and the subsequent two-point conversion. Cephus is not on the fantasy radar ahead of Week 2 against the Packers.

Quintez Cephus caught 4-of-7 targets for 63 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 2 loss to the Packers.

Cephus has now seen seven targets in back-to-back games to open the year and has scored in both contests as one of Jared Goff's top options at the goal line. After beating CB Kevin King clean for 46 yards on the opening drive in this one, Cephus capped the possession off with a five-yard touchdown in first-round rookie CB Eric Stokes' coverage. Goff clearly trusts Cephus, who may be finding himself some fantasy value as a playable WR4/5 headed into a Week 3 date with the Ravens.

Sep 21, 2021, 12:37 AM ET

promising start, more involved than I thought he would be. ahead of ARSB in the pecking order which is not how I saw it this summer. I was probably wrong on his upside. 

He looks legit.

Almost came down with a ridiculous one handed circus catch in the endzone. 

Have no faith in a healthy T. Williams...to be healthy or good.

DET offense seems to have more bite than I would have thought. Think you could do worse having this guy in your flex when the matchup is right. 

I'm putting a claim in tonight.

Quintez Cephus caught his lone target for eight yards in the Lions' Week 3 loss to the Ravens. 

[Bo]Cephus went from 14 targets over the team's first two games to disappearing in Week 3. Kalif Raymond took over as the Lions' No. 1 wideout, drawing ten targets from Jared Goff. Though Cephus might take advantage of softer matchups -- the Ravens got CB Jimmy Smith back from injury in Week 3 -- he's not a reliable fantasy option. The Lions play the Bears in Week 4.

Quintez Cephus caught 4-of-5 targets for 83 yards in the Lions' Week 4 loss to the Bears.

[Bo]Cephus had the longest reception of the day for the Lions, hauling in a 33-yarder from Jared Goff. He averaged 20.8 yards per reception. Cephus was fifth in the target pecking order on Sunday, but Goff was able to find him for big plays. He will be a desperation FLEX option against the Vikings in Week 5.

Lions WR Quintez Cephus was forced from Detroit's Week 5 game against the Vikings with a shoulder injury and will not return. 

Cephus was the Lions' leading receiver at halftime but got his shoulder crunched on a late second quarter grab. He was initially announced as questionable before being ruled out early in the third frame. From the looks it followed by the quick rule out, it could be a multi-week absence for the Lions' sort-of No. 1 wideout. The trickle-down effect would be nonexistent in this talentless receiver corps. 

Oct 10, 2021, 3:08 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Lions WR Quintez Cephus broke his collarbone in Week 5, a potentially season-ending injury. 

[Bo]Cephus had caught all three of his targets against the Vikings for 38 yards before suffering the injury. He had been an occasional bright spot in the league's worst receivers group, tallying 15 receptions on 22 targets for 204 yards and two touchdowns this year. Amon-Ra St. Brown led all Detroit pass catchers with eight targets against Minnesota. He could be a fringe starter in 14-team formats with Cephus sidelined. Probably this just means more targets for D'Andre Swift and T.J. Hockensen. 

- Tom Pelissero, Twitter

Lions placed WR Quintez Cephus (broken collarbone) on injured reserve.

Cephus' sophomore season comes to a close as Detroit's lone bright spot at receiver, tallying 15 receptions for 204 yards and two touchdowns on 22 targets this year. Amon-Ra St. Brown has led the team in targets (16) in back-to-back games and will have a shot to continue doing so whether Tyrell Williams (concussion, IR) is activated for Week 6 or not. Managers should expect more targets in negative game script for D'Andre Swift and T.J. Hockensen down the stretch.

SOURCE: Detroit Lions on Twitter

Oct 12, 2021, 3:49 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread