What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the back up to CEH ? (1 Viewer)

cantstop1999

Footballguy
I heard today that CEH was dehydrated and had to sit out and Darrell Williams ran with the 1st team , anyone know anything else ? Opinions?

He's the incumbent so it makes sense on day 1. Darwin Thompson is also there but he got less work last year. I'd actually put my money on Deandre Washington being the back up by the end of camp though. He's a vet, has had some decent NFL moments and has a familiarity with Mahomes as they played together in college.

He's the incumbent so it makes sense on day 1. Darwin Thompson is also there but he got less work last year. I'd actually put my money on Deandre Washington being the back up by the end of camp though. He's a vet, has had some decent NFL moments and has a familiarity with Mahomes as they played together in college.
I agree.  DeAndre Washington is the back to monitor.  He may not possess CEH's vision or decisiveness, but Washington is similarly sized and fits nicely in the role CEH will fill.  Darrell Williams is an underrated receiver for a power back, and, if he sticks with the team, he could carve out a role as a short-yardage thumper.  He reminds me a bit of his former Chiefs' teammate and fellow LSU alum Spencer Ware.  Darwin Thompson may struggle to find the field.  He is a solid receiver, but so is every other back in front of him.  Thompson has the speed to go the distance at any time, but he is undersized.  Andy Reid could devise certain packages to utilize the diverse skills of each of these backs, but I expect CEH to be a workhorse right out of the gate.

I'd say Washington, and I think he could actually have value beyond a handcuff role. I think there is a stronger chance that KC is a bot of a RBBC than ADPs seem to indicate.

Based on what we have seen recently in KC, I would think it's going to be a messy backfield.
It will at first, but will someone emerge? If Darrell Williams hasn't by now then I don't think it's going to happen. Best case is he suppresses the other two. I think Washington is the best bet, but if Darwin unlocks another level neither vet is going to stop him. 

It will at first, but will someone emerge? If Darrell Williams hasn't by now then I don't think it's going to happen. Best case is he suppresses the other two. I think Washington is the best bet, but if Darwin unlocks another level neither vet is going to stop him
I always respect your knowledge, but disagree. I rostered Jacobs on two teams last year, so I saw plenty of Washington. He looked really good in more than fill-in duty. I think his YPC was greater than Jacobs's though that is fraught with problems as a stand-alone stat. I think he's ahead in the pecking order should he have to spell CEH. I think Darrel Williams is in line for short yardage work. In short, it's a bit of a cluster though CEH has been running with the firsts pretty definitively, so if protection is there (and somebody made a great point that KC's backs are not asked to pass protect) then this is CEH all the way, with the rest fighting for scraps.

I always respect your knowledge, but disagree. I rostered Jacobs on two teams last year, so I saw plenty of Washington. He looked really good in more than fill-in duty. I think his YPC was greater than Jacobs's though that is fraught with problems as a stand-alone stat. I think he's ahead in the pecking order should he have to spell CEH. I think Darrel Williams is in line for short yardage work. In short, it's a bit of a cluster though CEH has been running with the firsts pretty definitively, so if protection is there (and somebody made a great point that KC's backs are not asked to pass protect) then this is CEH all the way, with the rest fighting for scraps.
I wrote I think Washington is the best bet 😉 He's the stable vet that isn't a liability anywhere. 

All I'm saying is he doesn't have control over Darwin leveling up - in the unlikely event that happens. In that scenario I don't think Washington is good enough to justify a bigger share over a younger player that earns it. 

I wrote I think Washington is the best bet 😉 He's the stable vet that isn't a liability anywhere. 

All I'm saying is he doesn't have control over Darwin leveling up - in the unlikely event that happens. In that scenario I don't think Washington is good enough to justify a bigger share over a younger player that earns it. 
I lost that tree in the forest, man. Sorry. My bad.

I think you're right, I guess I disagree with Darwin coming to the fore, though I have been dead wrong about KC's backfield since last year, so...

I lost that tree in the forest, man. Sorry. My bad.

I think you're right, I guess I disagree with Darwin coming to the fore, though I have been dead wrong about KC's backfield since last year, so...
All good- I think there's good reason we didn't see much of him last year, the Chefs added Washington, then prioritized CEH in April. But I also think it's way too early to close the door on any year 2 player. 

Washington is great in pass pro which might make him more than just a backup. CEH has struggled with protection at LSU. There is a chance Washington earns regular passing down work as I'm sure nobody wants to put Mahomes too much at risk. The situation is not clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread