What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Antonio Gibson, NE (2 Viewers)

What's your risk assessment of his toe injury? Mine has me leaning pass at his current price point.

I'd put the toe injury risk  causing him issues as unfortunately very high and overall injury risk high as well even if the toe was not still getting sore on him for simple reason he's new to the position, new to learning to be a full time feature RB and all the knowledge and experience that entails to know how to avoid contact and protect yourself to be a 300 kind of touch NFL RB.

But for me that does not mean I pass at his current price point because the upside is so immense. For me, and I'm one of those 30+ fantasy league guys, it  just means I try and hold down my risk level and not go all-in on him.  The kind of player I make sure I got on some teams, make sure I don't have on to many teams.

I'd put the toe injury risk  causing him issues as unfortunately very high and overall injury risk high as well even if the toe was not still getting sore on him for simple reason he's new to the position, new to learning to be a full time feature RB and all the knowledge and experience that entails to know how to avoid contact and protect yourself to be a 300 kind of touch NFL RB.

But for me that does not mean I pass at his current price point because the upside is so immense. For me, and I'm one of those 30+ fantasy league guys, it  just means I try and hold down my risk level and not go all-in on him.  The kind of player I make sure I got on some teams, make sure I don't have on to many teams.
Yeah I'm a little worried myself. I did see a blurb today where he said the lingering issue he had over a month ago is gone now. But I read a convincing medical report suggesting he made a mistake not getting surgery and that his risk is moderate for reinjury. I'm not worried about his instincts to avoid contact and learning the position and all that. But the report I read suggested that *if* he had this lingering issue come TC then it meant he was hurt worse than originally thought. But if it is gone now, maybe that isn't the case. He might have been just a *little* behind the healing curve a month or so ago. IDK but I agree his risk is high enough to be aware of and not load up on. 

IDK but I agree his risk is high enough to be aware of and not load up on. 

When it comes to foot/toe injuries, no timetable is really safe.  I agree it's a concern, but if he's deemed heathy enough to be atop the depth chart, he's probably ok. 

but specific to this part of the body, even if 100% healthy on opening day, one bad step, cut, teammate stomp, opponent stomp or plant and *poof*, you've got a problem on your roster & the McKissic owner has a jackpot. 

if I do draft Gibson, I'm going to handcuff him for sure, even if it means reaching a round early. 

. I did see a blurb today where he said the lingering issue he had over a month ago is gone now.

Saw that,was feeling optimistic and then saw this report from a very good WFT beat writer about a hour or so ago and the bolded parts put a little hesitation back in my Gibson acquisition game:

"The injury appeared to bother him occasionally during minicamp and over the last five practices, though he insisted, “It’s been good. Just making sure I stay on top of it, treating it after practice. After the long days, it gets kind of sore, but other than that, I’m fine out there.”

Saw that,was feeling optimistic and then saw this report from a very good WFT beat writer about a hour or so ago and the bolded parts put a little hesitation back in my Gibson acquisition game:

"The injury appeared to bother him occasionally during minicamp and over the last five practices, though he insisted, “It’s been good. Just making sure I stay on top of it, treating it after practice. After the long days, it gets kind of sore, but other than that, I’m fine out there.”
Pffft yeah that sucks

I take that as progress. If he said he was in pain, or he couldn't walk on it squarely that's one thing. But IMO soreness is expected after practicing on it. And if he's back out there the next day practicing because by morning it's abated, we're seeing excellent progress. 

If reports start showing up that he's practicing intermittently or missing the occasional practice due to lingering foot soreness, that's a gigantic red flag. 

:penalty:

Antonio Gibson played in Washington's "turbo set" on Sunday, signaling potential for an expanded role.

In 2020, J.D. McKissic had a lock on hurry up snaps, which was a major factor in producing his 6.9 targets per game. On Sunday's Washington Football Talk, NBC's JP Finlay stated "until Gibson is used in additional roles, the usage probably won't look that different. But today I saw him for the first time, to me, in an additional role." Finlay's emphasis on role makes sense, given that new quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is less likely than Alex Smith was to check down to running backs on early downs. For Gibson to see a significantly expanded receiving role, he'll likely need to be play in obvious passing situations in a way he did not last season. That appears to be a realistic possibility.

RELATED: 

J.D. McKissic

SOURCE: Washington Football Talk with JP Finlay

Aug 9, 2021, 3:08 PM ET

It’s probably important to know how well he did in that role. I’m sure teams try lots of things out in practice but how well it goes there will determine if they try it in games.

Ilov80s said:
It’s probably important to know how well he did in that role. I’m sure teams try lots of things out in practice but how well it goes there will determine if they try it in games.
I agree that would be good to know.

This is what they drafted him for though. To be their version of CMC. He needed a lot of reps so that process hasn't been immediate but its coming.

My cousin trying to argue with me that McKissic is worth taking in redraft and I did my best to explain to him why I don't think thats the case because those opportunities are going to start going Gibsons way instead.

I agree that would be good to know.

This is what they drafted him for though. To be their version of CMC. He needed a lot of reps so that process hasn't been immediate but its coming.

My cousin trying to argue with me that McKissic is worth taking in redraft and I did my best to explain to him why I don't think thats the case because those opportunities are going to start going Gibsons way instead.
Not just Gibson's way. That whole offense is full of options they didn't have last year, and a qb room more capable of distributing the ball among them more diversely than we saw for most of last year.

Until I see otherwise, and IMHO I've been very dialed in to all things WFTskins for decades, there is going to be a very democratic process look to the WFTskins Offense for 2021. I've been banging this drum for months - Gibson and McLaurin will get theirs, but maybe not as much as many think. More mid-to-low-end RB/WR2 than borderline RB/WR1. Samuel, Humphries, DBrown, Thomas, McKissic and others will all feed from the lower bowl of the trough, but they will not starve. Most importantly, a 3rd RB is going to emerge over the next 4 weeks, whether on the Roster or not right now. They absolutely will not reprise 2020 Peyton Barber falling down and gaining his height on short yardage plays. Gibson and McKissic have holes in their games that are easily solved by employing a 'slasher', and it's critical they find that element to structure an optimally efficient rushing offense - whether that's an improved Barber, Lamar Miller, Jaret Patterson, or someone else currently on or off the Roster. That guy will siphon off just enough touches to prevent Gibson from having elite stats. That's the flag I'm planting, until I see reason to uproot it.

Not just Gibson's way. That whole offense is full of options they didn't have last year, and a qb room more capable of distributing the ball among them more diversely than we saw for most of last year.

Until I see otherwise, and IMHO I've been very dialed in to all things WFTskins for decades, there is going to be a very democratic process look to the WFTskins Offense for 2021. I've been banging this drum for months - Gibson and McLaurin will get theirs, but maybe not as much as many think. More mid-to-low-end RB/WR2 than borderline RB/WR1. Samuel, Humphries, DBrown, Thomas, McKissic and others will all feed from the lower bowl of the trough, but they will not starve. Most importantly, a 3rd RB is going to emerge over the next 4 weeks, whether on the Roster or not right now. They absolutely will not reprise 2020 Peyton Barber falling down and gaining his height on short yardage plays. Gibson and McKissic have holes in their games that are easily solved by employing a 'slasher', and it's critical they find that element to structure an optimally efficient rushing offense - whether that's an improved Barber, Lamar Miller, Jaret Patterson, or someone else currently on or off the Roster. That guy will siphon off just enough touches to prevent Gibson from having elite stats. That's the flag I'm planting, until I see reason to uproot it.
Alright.

Do you think McKissic is worth a roster spot in a 10 team PPR league?

I would say no. But I am open to changing my mind if you think differently.

Gibson will be borderline elite, coaches are talking about opening up the playbook for him this season. not buying the regression theory or that the skins will add someone else. This is the same coaching staff that ran CMC into the ground.they're about to do the same to Gibson. Great hands, strong runner. unleash the beast. 

don't overthink it, he's going to eat

The guy who is gonna lose looks is Logan Thomas, IMO.  Chasing his numbers this year is something I want no part of.  He may still have a good year, but target share? That's not gonna happen again.  

I'm not moving Gibson down because of JD McKissick.  That's just........I can't even read that phrase without my eye starting to twitch.  

He was as green as it gets last year, and had Jamaal Charles ypc numbers with Dwayne Haskins at QB. 

People need to remember what a lot of the thinking was last year:  Conversion job, needs to prove he can carry the ball, might just be a passing game guy. Raw, so raw, needs to learn a new position.  

Few weeks into the season, and he passed a bunch of vets for lead job, and is the goalline back.  Umm, sploosh  :wub:

Unless you are taking the position that Gibson isn't going to be a pass-catching weapon (rather than what the coaches say, which is they were keeping his responsibilities light) then I think it's fair to think crazytrain upside is possible.  

Few weeks into the season, and he passed a bunch of vets for lead job, and is the goalline back.  Umm, sploosh  :wub:

Unless you are taking the position that Gibson isn't going to be a pass-catching weapon (rather than what the coaches say, which is they were keeping his responsibilities light) then I think it's fair to think crazytrain upside is possible.  
He actually took over in week 2 by and large. Was involved in week 1 and made plays and week 2 was the main back. And he had over 50 targets in barely more than 13 games. It doesn't fit some of the narrative out there about him not being involved in the passing game much as a rookie, but he was. I am blown away some people are questioning his ability to contribute in the passing game considering he played WR in college. They've talked about getting him even more receiving looks this year, they're giving him those reps.

I remain concerned about the toe but maybe he just healed a little slower than the timeline and maybe it wasn't so bad it needed surgery. Hoping so. Aside from my own selfish FF interests, I am a fan - I think he can be special and it can happen this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
He actually took over in week 2 by and large. Was involved in week 1 and made plays and week 2 was the main back. And he had over 50 targets in barely more than 13 games. It doesn't fit some of the narrative out there about him not being involved in the passing game much as a rookie, but he was. I am blown away some people are questioning his ability to contribute in the passing game considering he played WR in college. They've talked about getting him even more receiving looks this year, they're giving him those reps.

I remain concerned about the toe but maybe he just healed a little slower than the timeline and maybe it wasn't so bad it needed surgery. Hoping so. Aside from my own selfish FF interests, I am a fan - I think he can be special and it can happen this year.
The toe and Samuel are my only concerns with him. And those aren’t huge concerns.  

Bringing up Mckissic isnt about that Gibson cant be their recieving RB which I think he will he for the most part, but that McKissic caught 80 balls last year and he still might he in the mix for more in 2021.

Now things are different without Haskins and Smith at QB so there shouldn't be quite so many check downs to the RB with Fitzpatrick, but it's still a big part of their offensive game plan.

From what Nittanylion is saying McKissic might still catch 40ish balls this year (to be worth a bench spot) and if that's the case it could limit Gibsons upside in that area even as Gibson sees his targets increase, which I think they will.

It's a difference between playing 65+% of the snaps compared to 90% which is what these coaches were doing with McCaffrey.

I am still very optimistic about Gibson possibly being a top 12 RB for fantasy this season. That's just not as much of a shoe in if McKissic continues to be involved.

My love for Gibson is well-documented (page 11), and I’m watching the preseason game right now. Unfortunately, if you listen closely, you can hear him flying up draft boards all over the place. 

Targeted by Fitz early and often. 

Gibson looked ok to me. His blocking wasnt much to work with though.

I am not liking the defensive players wearing single digit numbers, but the Pat's defense doing a good job.

I play in two leagues….a 2 player keeper league and a redraft where I’ve drawn pick 1.01. As much as I’d like to have Gibson I’m likely not in a position to get him. 

Antonio Gibson received zero third down snaps in Washington's first preseason game.

Gibson started the game with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center, but on third and two on Washington's first drive, it was Peyton Barber who had the privilege of being stopped for no gain. On the four subsequent third downs, J.D. McKissic was the running back on the play. Gibson was targeted three times on the night, while exiting in the second quarter, so he does appear to have a meaningful receiving role. His current ADP however, suggests that he will see a significant boost in his receiving opportunity. We have yet to see concrete evidence that role change is going to materialize.

RELATED: 

Peyton Barber

, J.D. McKissic

Aug 12, 2021, 10:22 PM ET

Antonio Gibson received zero third down snaps in Washington's first preseason game.

Gibson started the game with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center, but on third and two on Washington's first drive, it was Peyton Barber who had the privilege of being stopped for no gain. On the four subsequent third downs, J.D. McKissic was the running back on the play. Gibson was targeted three times on the night, while exiting in the second quarter, so he does appear to have a meaningful receiving role. His current ADP however, suggests that he will see a significant boost in his receiving opportunity. We have yet to see concrete evidence that role change is going to materialize.

RELATED: 

Peyton Barber, J.D. McKissic

Aug 12, 2021, 10:22 PM ET

McKissic was pretty good out of the backfield last year. Even still, Gibson had 44 targets and that should go up even with no change to the JDM role bc his snap count will go up.

There's just so few backs who are true 3-down backs, I don't even know why FF managers worry about it. Gibson isn't completely shut out of the passing game and he'll dominate GL carries. Could easily approach top 5 with JDM in the same exact role/usage as 2020.

McKissic is of zero concern long-term. Like I've said from the beginning with Gibson, don't overthink it.

College play time is a different dynamic than the NFL. There's things at play that's not applicable in the pros.

I'm not sure if there's a RB in the league with more upside. The question is how much of it he'll fulfill. My guess is a good chunk of it. 

This guy is a combination of Jerry Rice, Jim Brown, and Tony Gonzalez.  Oh, and Peyton Manning. He will have better stats than CMC and Michael Thomas combined this year and will probably be a better QB than Joe Burrow. I hear he is also an Ayurvedic healer, shaman and philosopher. 

also, not really, but go ahead and mark him down for 367yfs and 7 TDs this week. Total lock. 

I just want to say that I was right. Neener neener.

he's going to take a step up this season but doubtful he grabs a top 5 RB finish. maybe top 10 ?

SO McKissic gets 3rd down duties. ok fine. and WFT gets how many additional first downs this year than last? 25-30? They're going to move the ball and score more with Fitzmagic. a LOT more.

Means AG's stats go up, possibly way up.

I watched most of the game when he was playing and have a few thoughts:

I owned him last year and got burned by the toe thing in the playoffs, would have won the championship etc. but this isn't just crapping on him for that. I also watched him score 3 tds against the cowboys in joy.

He didn't look as explosive as a runner as I thought he would. He had a couple of plays where he had more space at the line of scrimmage than he used in his run. Maybe he's not maxzing effort in the preseason but my eyeballs told me that his short area burst was not what I thought I'd see. We're told the toe is fine but it eyeball test reminded me more of toe-impacted Gibson.

He got split out wide a couple of times. I guess not on third down? But this was kind of exciting to see. Definitely an uptick in targets coming his way but overall usage may not be up as high as some here would like. 

I've moved his floor down and his ceiling up. If that makes any sense. I moved him behind Najee on my board but see why some people have visions of CMC. 

I liked what I saw last night, mostly how Fitz had control of this offense against a likely solid Pats D.   

So he's being compared to McCaffrey now?

Definitely throwing this dude out early in my auction when the horntoads are flush. I find his tape a bit underwhelming compared to consensus reviews and I absolutely hate any talk about a lingering case of the dreaded.

So he's being compared to McCaffrey now?

Definitely throwing this dude out early in my auction when the horntoads are flush. I find his tape a bit underwhelming compared to consensus reviews and I absolutely hate any talk about a lingering case of the dreaded.

I have yet to see one person anywhere compare him to McCaffrey?

Link?

eta- I see people using McCaffrey's ROLE (the coaches were Panthers)

• Smile
Reactions: One
Ryan Fitzpatrick played 14 snaps last.

Total RB snaps:
Antonio Gibson 8
JD McKissic 5
Peyton Barber 1

RB snaps with Fitz on 3rd downs:
JD McKissic 3
Peyton Barber 1
Antonio Gibson 0