What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commisssioner - "What Would You Do?" Questions In The Shark Pool? (1 Viewer)

Should the Shark Pool Allow League Specific Commissioner / GM Questions?

• For sure

Votes: 55 53.9%
  • Probably

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • On the fence

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Probably not

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • No way

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Question. Threads where a commissioner or GM in a league describes a specific situation in their league and then asks for help can be helpful and interesting.

But they are the commissioner equivalent of "who should I start?". 

What do you guys think about allowing commissioners or league GMs to use the Shark Pool for a "Here's what happened in my league - what do you guys think we should do?" type questions?

Never had a problem with these kinds of threads. They don't get in posted in number sufficient to take over the Shark Pool. And they're typically the kinds of questions that are best answered by a wide selection of posters. Putting these kinds of infrequent threads in a sub-forum would lead to far fewer eyeballs reading them and make it a lot harder to get thoughtful answers to these kinds of questions.

I voted "For Sure" in the absence of a sub forum specifically dedicated to one (I don't think a sub forum is needed because these questions don't come up a lot).  The Shark Pool seems to have more traffic and a broader spectrum of participants that the AC forum.  I think the Commish question would get more input being in this forum. 

Never had a problem with these kinds of threads. They don't get in posted in number sufficient to take over the Shark Pool. And they're typically the kinds of questions that are best answered by a wide selection of posters. Putting these kinds of infrequent threads in a sub-forum would lead to far fewer eyeballs reading them and make it a lot harder to get thoughtful answers to these kinds of questions.
We have to understand though that there will be a ton more of these once we start allowing. We've always moved these out of the Shark Pool whenever we see them in the past. 

I voted "For Sure" in the absence of a sub forum specifically dedicated to one (I don't think a sub forum is needed because these questions don't come up a lot).  The Shark Pool seems to have more traffic and a broader spectrum of participants that the AC forum.  I think the Commish question would get more input being in this forum. 
For sure it'll get more input here. That's why people post them here. A sub forum would get a lot less traffic. But keep this forum completely focused on topics applicable to everyone. 

This is exactly a "who should I start?" type question for commissioners. I'm not saying don't do them. I'm just saying we've never allowed them in the past and asking the group what they think. 

We have to understand though that there will be a ton more of these once we start allowing. We've always moved these out of the Shark Pool whenever we see them in the past. 
Really? I've seen some of these in the recent past. But I guess what you wrote explains why I haven't seen all that many :D  

I don't have a problem with them...they don't dominate the Shark Pool like the Dynasty threads do...

Really? I've seen some of these in the recent past. But I guess what you wrote explains why I haven't seen all that many :D  
Thanks. Yes. Tons happens behind the scenes that most people don't see. This forum is as good as it is because of a lot of cleanup that hopefully most people don't see. 

Like I said in the other topic - sub-forum of the AC for “commish questions” would be a great addition & offer a landing spot for the ones that get moved. 

There’s potential value there. I’ve been commishing a league for 13 years. I don’t know everting but I feel I’ve got a sound moral/ethical compass. But some folks are new at it, or have difficult scenarios pop up. 

If the options are “on the main or nothing” I vote for the main.

but if possible to create a place where commishes can go for community advice, I believe that would add value to FBG. 

voted for "Probably". As it is definitely a gray area for "Shark Pool" vs. "AC" forums. 

For the most part I appreciate the lack of "League/ team specific" questions in the Shark Pool, but these Commish/ GM questions do seem to invite some good discussion and aren't "my team specific". 

That being said, if these types of threads start to take over the general SP ones, I think the sub-forum is a better solution. Since I don't know how many of these are moved / deleted behind the scenes, I can't really say how inundated the SP would get. 

In the end, most of the posts in here end up being a "who do I start" thread.  Just sift though a random sampling and you will see.  People are smart enough to know THIS is the forum with the most traffic, and will try to be creative in their wording.  Here are some snippets from a select few...

What are the odds MVS keeps the #2 WR job when Allison is back?  Debating who is the better hold: MVS vs. DJ Moore.

Chubb or Mack ROS?

If you are starting him, who are starting him over?

I still go to the assistant coach forum and add my two cents from time to time, but have stopped posting questions there.  You are lucky to get 3 replies, and it's mostly from people who are only replying to your question so you will reply to theirs.  If I have a WDIS question, I will just bump that players thread in here, and write something like, "thinking of starting him this week over player X".

I have no problem with the WDIS questions in this forum.  They may not apply to everyone, but are basically a ranking of one player vs another.  I mean really, how many non-Bell or Conner owners are looking at the Bell thread?  I read the threads that apply to me.

I voted definitely....  As a long term  commish I think for the long term health of the "sport" its imperative that commishs make good decisions  to keep leagues running as smoothly as possible.  Every time a league is in chaos  thats usually 10- 12 people who are turned off by the FF experience.  If answering  questions for another commish will help  I think there are many of us willing to give our perspective to help out.  Every once in awhile I read one of these types of threads and think.....Hmmmm.....  That idea would work well in our league.  I vote yes. 

I still go to the assistant coach forum and add my two cents from time to time, but have stopped posting questions there.  You are lucky to get 3 replies, and it's mostly from people who are only replying to your question so you will reply to theirs.  If I have a WDIS question, I will just bump that players thread in here, and write something like, "thinking of starting him this week over player X".
Straight talk: I do the same thing. My rule is that I always try to add some value to the SP discussions instead of just asking a question. So I might say in the Chubb thread, "Thinking of starting Chubb over Lindsay, because I feel like he has more guaranteed touches." Or in the Lindsay thread, I would say, "Leaning toward sitting Lindsay because I don't love his match-up this week and he's been losing work to Booker." (Note: I would generally post in one thread or the other, not both.) Personally, I feel like that's better than a WDIS thread because I'm offering my input on the player (which is what the forum is for) and offering the other guys as a point of comparison, rather than asking someone to weigh in on my roster decision.

Back to the original topic, I'm not a commish but I'm not bothered by those threads at all (and I thought the one about the fired coworker was particularly interesting). Maybe it's because the mods prevent them from growing like topsy and taking over the forum, but whatever the current mix is, I'm fine with it. The only posts that mildly annoy me are the "Should this trade be vetoed?" ones, just because they're all the same and there's no real discussion to be had.

I'm a commish now. I can always use the help, frankly. I see what you're getting at, Joe, but I also think that the commish has a separate set of issues that nobody can understand until he describes the situation and his league's arrangement. I guess if you have to move them, do so, but I'd generally say let 'em fly.  

I enjoy reading them, and maybe adding input if I've seen or dealt with something similar.....and I've learned new things as well.

I don't really go to other forums on here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them. If anything it makes me aware of some different kinds of leagues that are run out there. 

#1. Link me to an example of the type of thread you're talking about, so we're on the same page.

#2. Where do you "move" them?

adding to some of the opinions already stated. if this goes out of the SP, it won't get much visibility. u can largely break down these into three categories based on what I am seeing over the past few years: Is this collusion? How does your league handle these setup situations? or a flat out schtick. i'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that stick out to me. Collusion question comes up most frequently and those are probably AC worthy. On the other hand I learn from the how does your league handle these setup situations question quite a bit, so those are good discussions that are SP worthy imo. these are rare unfortunately, but they should remain a part of SP. take the bad with the good. we have enough Sharks to run the schtick out of the pool quickly, too, so there's some help for the mods on those.

The real question is: What do you guys think about allowing site owners to use the Shark Pool for a "Here's what happened on my site/in my shark pool - what do you guys think we should do?" type questions?

Burn it Down of course.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/772094-booting-a-fired-co-worker-from-a-league-mid-season-didnt-pay/

They don't really have a good place to be moved to. Which may be part of the problem. Assistant coach? Just hidden and removed from Shark Pool?
Alright then, yeah I would say in some way, shape, or form, keep them in the shark pool. I think different perspectives are valuable, and in those threads you get perspectives from other commissioners as well as player/owner perspectives. I think people will get the best exposure for help in the shark pool. If you'd prefer one indefinite thread, I guess that's your call, but I think the pool is where these discussions should be.

My vote would change depending upon whether the alternative to the SP was "delete" or a different home. I don't go to the AC but if there was a subforum there for "all things Commish" I definitely would.

I voted definitely....  As a long term  commish I think for the long term health of the "sport" its imperative that commishs make good decisions  to keep leagues running as smoothly as possible.  Every time a league is in chaos  thats usually 10- 12 people who are turned off by the FF experience.  If answering  questions for another commish will help  I think there are many of us willing to give our perspective to help out.  Every once in awhile I read one of these types of threads and think.....Hmmmm.....  That idea would work well in our league.  I vote yes. 
Isn’t the ac forum a much better place? Really doesn’t add anything imo and can really be a negative at times. Definitely not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread