What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gr00vus's Favorite 50 Songs - 1: Synchronicity II (1 Viewer)

Gr00vus

Footballguy
My 50th birthday is rapidly approaching (some time in December 2018). I haven't been doing a ton of reflection, but one thing I have been thinking about is what makes me like the songs I like. I still have no idea, but as an exercise to help figure it out I thought I'd try to assemble what my favorite songs of all time are. Over the days and weeks that follow, I'll be posting my 50 favorite songs, plus one wildcard chosen by my 9 year old son as his "favorite" among the songs I've subjected him to. I'm not suggesting these are the most influential, most technically excellent, most critically acclaimed, biggest hits, most popular or anything like that. They're just the 50 songs I've figured out I like listening to the most.

Over the course of time I've graded the songs I like in my various music playing applications on the 5 star scale (5 being best). While there are thousands of 4 star songs, it turns out there are only about 200 5 star songs in my world. It took a bit, but I culled my favorite 50 from that 5 star list, and those are the ones I'll list here. I'll post a little bit about why I like each song, maybe some interesting history, some tangents related to the song.

One working hypothesis I have is that the bulk of your music taste is developed pretty early on in your life, particularly between the time you just about hit your teens and roughly the end of your college career. Obviously this won't be the same for everyone, but I think it's pretty representative of most people. In my case that means the late 70's and most of the 80's have a lot to do with my music sensibilities, for better or worse. So, there will be some hair bands, there will be some sterile production qualities, and, yes, there will even be some disco. I like to think there is a minimal amount of chalk in this list, though I'm not shying away from top 40 stuff either. But if you're looking for the Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, etc. - you won't find it here. I think it likely that I've heard all that stuff too many times to love any of it anymore, but for whatever reason, they didn't crack the list, organically (i.e. I wasn't forcing myself to avoid chalk).

I've also played drums most of my life, so the rhythm section plays a huge part in whether I like a song or not. I imagine many of my comments on these songs will bear some discussion of the drummer, bassist, etc.

I may interject a few mini-favorite lists as interludes, as the topics take me. Towards the end I will definitely put up my top 10 drummers of all time at least.

I invite you to comment, heckle, expound, expand, ridicule, boggle, laugh, cry, or whatever other type of participation you'd like to have. What fun is bearing your truest musical soul for the FFA without blow back? If nothing else, I'll have explored a bit more about what makes music work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this post I keep the overall list:

50: Young Americans, David Bowie, 1975 - highlight post link

49: All The Time, A Race Of Angels, 2009 - highlight post link

48: Waterfront, Simple Minds, 1983 - highlight post link

47: Help Me, Joni Mitchell, 1974 - highlight post link

46: Fabric, Midival Punditz/Hira Devi Mishra, 2001 - highlight post link

45: Boogie Oogie Oogie, A Taste Of Honey, 1978 - highlight post link

44: Jerk Out, The Time, 1990 - highlight post link

43: Traveling Without Moving, Jamiroquai, 1996 - highlight post link

42: Super Freak, Rick James, 1981 - highlight post link

41: The Soul Cages, Sting, 1991 - highlight post link

40: Lady Marmalade, LaBelle, 1974 - highlight post link

39: Highway To Hell, AC/DC, 1979 - highlight post link

38: Bad Girls, Donna Summer, 1979 - highlight post link

37: Under The Pressure, The War Against Drugs, 2013 - highlight post link

36: Shake Me, Cinderella, 1986 - highlight post link

35: Underbart, Little Dragon, 2014 - highlight post link

34: I Want Your Love, Chic, 1978 - highlight post link

33: Sensation, Bryan Ferry, 1985 - highlight post link

32: Pressure And Time, Rival Sons, 2011 - highlight post link

31: Nightrain, Guns N Roses, 1987 - highlight post link

30: Get Down, Groove Armada featuring Stush and Red Rat - Calvin Harris Remix, 2007 - highlight post link

29: Livewire, Motley Crue, 1981 - highlight post link

28: King Of Pain (Live at Villa Manin, Italy), Sting, 1993 - highlight post link

27: The Mob Rules, Black Sabbath, 1981 - highlight post link

26: Dead Giveaway, Shalamar, 1983 - highlight post link

25: Night By Night, Steely Dan, 1974 - highlight post link

24: She Sells Sanctuary, The Cult, 1985 - highlight post link

23: Cannot Contain This / Forever More, Moloko, 2003 - highlight post link

22: One Nation Under A Groove, Funkadelic, 1978 - highlight post link

21: Madman Across The Water, Elton John, 1971 - highlight post link

20: Stay, David Bowie, 1976 - highlight post link

19: (Bang A Gong) Get It On, T. Rex, 1971 - highlight post link

18: Disco Inferno, The Trammps, 1976 - highlight post link

17: Little Wing, Sting, 1987 - highlight post link

16: You've Got Another Thing Comin', Judas Priest, 1982 - highlight post link

15: Fire On High, The Electric Light Orchestra, 1975 - highlight post link

14: Cherry, Lisa Shaw, 2005 - highlight post link

13: Alex Chilton, The Replacements, 1987 - highlight post link

12: Perfect Kiss, New Order, 1985 - highlight post link

11: He's A Whore, Cheap Trick, 1977 - highlight post link

10: Seven Deadly Sins, Bryan Ferry, 1987 - highlight post link

9: You Should Be Dancing, The Bee Gees, 1976 - highlight post link

8: Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose, James Brown, 1970 - highlight post link

7: When The World Is Running Down, You Make The Best Of What's Still Around, The Police, 1980 - highlight post link

6: Save My Soul, Groove Armada, 2007 - highlight post link

5: Ωmegaman, The Police, 1981 - highlight post link

4: I Didn't Mean To Turn You On, Robert Palmer, 1985 - highlight post link

3: Dreams, Fleetwood Mac, 1977 - highlight post link

One From The Son: Monkey Man, The Specials, 1979 - highlight post link

2: Peg, Steely Dan, 1977 - highlight post link

1: Synchronicity II, The Police, 1983 - highlight post link

Before I get on with the top 50, here are all my other 5 star songs that didn't quite make the cut (in alphabetical order by artist). Too many to comment on any particular one, but many of them were tough outs.

Code:
How Long -- Ace
Pick Up The Pieces -- Average White Band
I Stay Away -- Alice In Chains
A Horse With No Name -- America
Sweet Love -- Anita Baker
The First Song -- Band Of Horses
Hey Ladies -- Beastie Boys
What You Won't Do For Love -- Bobby Caldwell
King's Lead Hat -- Brian Eno
Don't Stop The Dance -- Bryan Ferry
Kiss & Tell -- Bryan Ferry
It's Too Late -- Carole King
Long As I Can See The Light -- Creedence Clearwater Revival
Miss Me Blind -- Culture Club
Slipping Away -- Dave Edmunds
Dancing With The Big Boys -- David Bowie
Heroes -- David Bowie
Let's Dance -- David Bowie
Cat People (Putting Out Fire) -- David Bowie
Tomorrow's Girls -- Donald Fagen
New Frontier -- Donald Fagen
Black and White Town -- Doves
Girls On Film -- Duran Duran
Fire On High -- Electric Light Orchestra
Nightrider -- Electric Light Orchestra
One Summer Dream -- Electric Light Orchestra
Night In The City -- Electric Light Orchestra
Smoke and Mirrors -- Elline
Levon -- Elton John
Stand Still -- [feat. Micky Green] Flight Facilities
Relax -- Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Seasons (Waiting On You) -- Future Islands
Cars -- Gary Numan
Baker Street -- Gerry Rafferty
Love Sweet Sound (Radio Edit) -- Groove Armada
Kinky Afro -- Happy Mondays
Everybody's Talkin' (From "Midnight Cowboy") -- Harry Nilsson, George Tipton
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang -- Heaven 17
New Girl Now -- Honeymoon Suite
Together feat. Jennifer Johns (Crazy P Remix Edit) -- J Boogie's Dubtronic Science
Planet Home -- Jamiroquai
Starchild -- Jamiroquai
Time Won't Wait -- Jamiroquai
Canned Heat -- Jamiroquai
Bad Girls (Live in Verona) -- Jamiroquai
Canned Heat (Live in Verona) -- Jamiroquai
Last Goodbye -- Jeff Buckley
Is She Really Going Out With Him? -- Joe Jackson
Look Sharp! -- Joe Jackson
Give Me Every Little Thing -- Juan Maclean
Too Shy -- Kajagoogoo
Let It Slide -- Keane
Neal And Jack And Me -- King Crimson
Outside -- George Michael
Something About You -- Level 42
Vahevala -- Loggins & Messina
Scapegoat -- Love And Money
Hot Girls In Love -- Loverboy
Dress You Up -- Madonna
Her Favorite Song -- Mayer Hawthorne
Give -- Missing Persons
Sing It Back (Boris Musical Mix) -- Moloko
Forever More -- Moloko
Looks That Kill -- Mötley Crüe
Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thorns -- Mother Love Bone
Hi-speed Soul -- Nada Surf
Cinnamon Girl -- Neil Young
Blue Monday -- New Order
Crystal -- New Order
Message Of Love -- Pretenders
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man -- Prince
Round And Round -- Ratt
Jimmy Jimmy -- Ric Ocasek
Something To Grab For -- Ric Ocasek
Love & Happiness -- River Ocean & India
You Are In My System -- Robert Palmer
Early In the Morning -- Robert Palmer
Konichiwa #####es -- Robyn
Let Me Know -- Róisín Murphy
Miss You -- Rolling Stones
A Girl In Trouble -- Romeo Void
On the Loose -- Saga
Pharaohs -- Sbtrkt (featuring Roses Gabor)
Sugar Walls -- Sheena Easton
The Glamorous Life -- Shelia E
Promised You a Miracle -- Simple Minds
The American -- Simple Minds
Superunknown -- Soundgarden
Find Your Way Back -- Starship
Stranger -- Starship
Stuck In the Middle With You -- Stealers Wheel
Babylon Sisters -- Steely Dan
Home At Last -- Steely Dan
Reelin' In The Years -- Steely Dan
Rikki Don't Lose That Number -- Steely Dan
Pretzel Logic -- Steely Dan
Charlie Freak -- Steely Dan
The Fez -- Steely Dan
Talking Back to the Night -- Steve Winwood
Dreams -- (Deep Dish)	Stevie Nicks
Riviera Paradise -- Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Superstition -- Stevie Wonder
Do Ya Wanna Funk? -- Sylvester
Once in a Lifetime -- Talking Heads
Crosseyed and Painless -- Talking Heads
Girlfriend Is Better -- Talking Heads
Year of the Knife -- Tears for Fears
Little Suzi -- Tesla
The Letter -- The Box Tops
What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
You Really Got Me -- The Kinks
Ooh La -- The Kooks
Mission Of Mercy -- The Motels
A Million Miles Away -- The Plimsouls
Spirits In The Material World -- The Police
Hungry For You (j'aurais toujours faim de toi) -- The Police
One World (Not Three) -- The Police
Secret Journey -- The Police
Smoking Gun -- The Robert Cray Band
Jungle Love -- The Time
The Whole of the Moon -- The Waterboys
Sakamoto's Spring -- Tokimonsta
Sexbomb (Peppermint Jam Mix) -- Tom Jones
You wreck me -- Tom Petty
What Is Hip? -- Tower Of Power
Unchained -- Van Halen
Everybody Wants Some!! -- Van Halen
Dance Hall Days -- Wang Chung
Giant Peach -- Wolf Alice
Senses Working Overtime -- XTC
Summertime Girls -- Y&T
Don't Go -- Yaz
Gimmie All Your Lovin' -- ZZ Top
Got Me Under Pressure -- ZZ Top

:blackdot: Oh hell yeah.  I was preparing to start my long-promised 211-song Beatles countdown tomorrow but will follow this along instead.

Just dropping by to say I'll also be reading, even if I have a feeling our tastes are different. Definitely want to see this list, Gr00vus.  

Do eet for the people, if not yourself!  

Cheers, brother.  

Pre-rank (before listening to them all together) of 5-star also-rans:

1. You are in my system 

2. Vahevala

last. It's too late, baby

shuke said:
By the way, still working on my 1000 songs by 1000 artists.  I'm getting close, maybe another year or so.
I was thinking of a top 100 songs that have a number in their titles. But all the numbers would have to be between 1 and 100.

"We live for just these twenty years, do we have to die for the fifty more?"

50: Young Americans, David Bowie, 1975

I can hear it now - "You said there'd be no chalk and you lead off with Bowie?!?!" Well, point to the avatar skippy.

I guess I was about 7 when this came out, and even then this white suburbanite recognized this track for the gateway to funk and r&b that it was. After wearing out the grooves on my parents' Cat Stevens, Doors, Elton John (who to be fair dabbled in soul successfully himself), 5th Dimension, Loggins & Messina, Carly Simon, Moody Blues, Crosby/Stills/Nash, etc. records - I remember hearing this on the car radio while my parents would drive me around and realizing things had just changed in a very good way. Everything else seemed just so "square".

I can't imagine what the Bowie fans up to this point felt when they heard this song and its accompanying album. I'd like to think it was confusion swiftly followed by elation. What a change of direction. Looking back on Bowie's catalog, it's at this point (though he had tons of great songs already) that I transition from liking his music to his music becoming a critical "influence" on me. This began my favorite 10 years or so of his work (yes I do very much like Tonight and Never Let Me Down).

This also began Bowie's collaboration with Carlos Alomar, rhythm guitarist extraordinaire (no relation to Roberto Sr./Jr. or Sandy I don't think), and producer Tony Visconti. Both of these would be fixtures in Bowie's music from this point through Scary Monsters.

There were other phenomenal musicians on this track/album, including a young Luther Vandross and a young David Sanborn, both of whom would go on to make names for themselves in their own rights.

On drums - Andy Newmark, a pro's pro session musician. He got the feel just right on this one, a lilting yet solid groove that keeps things moving but doesn't get in the way of the Sanborn's gritty sax and the soaring gospeleqsque vocals. Just a bit behind the beat to really get your spine loose. I particularly like the break with what sounds like an embryonic syndrum, though I think it might be a heavily processed conga played by Larry Washington.

I also love Bowie channeling his inner Elvis  with the "Ain't there a one damn song that can make me break down and cry?" interlude. Well, David, do tears of joy count?

I have a biological son who i never had much to do with a couple years younger than you, groovy, and your "grow up" records are all ones he woulda grown up on, so this all just adds an element to enjoying your list.

My one cultural regret about my generational placement is that i didn't have a Bowie to grow up to. I had musical heroes but none who presented what a life#### adolescence & identity is like Bowie did. I love to enjoy the fervor for him the late Boomers & early GenXers have.

wikkidpissah said:

2. Vahevala
If you ask 5 year old me - this would probably come in at number 1. I looooooved this song back then. My parents would play Sittin' In for me because of House On Pooh Corner (which I also loved), but Vahevala was the track I'd move the needle to myself whenever given the chance.

If you ask 5 year old me - this would probably come in at number 1. I looooooved this song back then. My parents would play Sitting In for me because of House On Pooh Corner (which I also loved), but Vahevala was the track I'd move the needle to myself whenever given the chance.
Loggins & Messina priced Sittin' In more than a full dollar cheaper than anyone else's records (so everyone had it) and supported it like no band i ever seen - played supermarket openings, live at EVERY radio station in the northeast, and i dont think there was an outdoor gig whichever summer that was that they weren't at, so i saw em a LOT. Every guy worthy of his medallions had a few girls in his repertoire who could be identified as easy & fun by the bliss with which they reacted to Vahevala. mmmmmm, gotta go -

wikkidpissah said:

1. You are in my system 
Of course you know you need to drop the other shoe on You Are In My System.

The vocal trick Palmer does at about 2:36 - I don't know how a human makes that sound.

Of course you know you need to drop the other shoe on You Are In My System.

The vocal trick Palmer does at about 2:36 - I don't know how a human makes that sound.
Sample, i think.

Robby - tho i liked to call him a veddy British "Bob' to piss him off - helped me learn how to sing. When i toured w Little Feat, Palmer opened several dates for us (Lowell George produced his 1st record, Sneakin Sally, and got him huge exposure opening for the Wailers' 1st big tour) and though, not a joyful entourager, would indulge a few of Lowell's all-night jams. To me, they were like playing fungo with Willie Mays, so i was always there, usually only piping up when they needed a bass voice. JDSouther heard me sing in higher registers in less formal singalongs, guessed i'd been a choir boy whose voice had changed badly and showed me some tricks to singing out of my range. Robby also piped in with the sage advice "shuut yer bleedin gob'. When i looked at him all offended, he refined his statement. "Between notes. Can't have you trailing away every time you think there's more to be sung. Your pitch will always be rubbish if you don't respect the note." Then he watched me sing again and opened & closed his mouth like Alec being fed  in Clockwork Orange to signal proper gob mgmt. One of the greatest moments of my life.

Sample, i think.

Robby - tho i liked to call him a veddy British "Bob' to piss him off - helped me learn how to sing. When i toured w Little Feat, Palmer opened several dates for us (Lowell George produced his 1st record, Sneakin Sally, and got him huge exposure opening for the Wailers' 1st big tour) and though, not a joyful entourager, would indulge a few of Lowell's all-night jams. To me, they were like playing fungo with Willie Mays, so i was always there, usually only piping up when they needed a bass voice. JDSouther heard me sing in higher registers in less formal singalongs, guessed i'd been a choir boy whose voice had changed badly and showed me some tricks to singing out of my range. Robby also piped in with the sage advice "shuut yer bleedin gob'. When i looked at him all offended, he refined his statement. "Between notes. Can't have you trailing away every time you think there's more to be sung. Your pitch will always be rubbish if you don't respect the note." Then he watched me sing again and opened & closed his mouth like Alec being fed  in Clockwork Orange to signal proper god mgmt. One of the greatest moments of my life.
Stories like this are one of the main reasons I went ahead with this thread. Thanks for sharing it.

Tipping my hand a bit, Robert Palmer will appear in my top 50 songs, and would also be a member of my top 10 (20?) vocalists of all time if I get around to posting that in here.

you're genuinely missing out.
I've been picking up on that from you guys. I've been trying to spend my free listening time "tuning in to" the KCRW Eclectic 24 stream, it's a good mix of different styles that throws things at me a curation algorithm might not. I just don't get that much free listening time anymore. When listening while working it helps to keep it familiar so I don't get distracted focusing on whether I like a particular song or not.

Stories like this are one of the main reasons I went ahead with this thread. Thanks for sharing it.

Tipping my hand a bit, Robert Palmer will appear in my top 50 songs, and would also be a member of my top 10 (20?) vocalists of all time if I get around to posting that in here.
Tremendous singer who lived in the wrong time, really. Would have been a tremendous British Sinatra, because he had that kind of soul and style, but his fastidious nature caused him to learn a command of chopping of rock/pop syllables better than anyone this side of Jagger. Too polite to be a rocker, he brought a clean, if not deep, musicality to everything he did.

I've been picking up on that from you guys. I've been trying to spend my free listening time "tuning in to" the KCRW Eclectic 24 stream, it's a good mix of different styles that throws things at me a curation algorithm might not. I just don't get that much free listening time anymore. When listening while working it helps to keep it familiar so I don't get distracted focusing on whether I like a particular song or not.
KCRW used to have regularly updated spotify playlists (morning becomes eclectic, IIRC) that I'd use exactly how you're using the stream. not sure they still do.

the difference- BIG difference, IMO- is that you can save the songs you like (even when they're in the background, some of them move foreground because they sound good) to your own playlist(s) and play them back any time you want. or find more by the same artist. or more by similar artists. or open a "radio" set that has songs/bands that are similar to the song/band you like. as a fellow music nerd, i can honestly say that it's changed my life back into a more music nerd-dom life. I don't even pay for it... but it's only $10 a month to get it without commercials and fully transportable on your PDs.

and btw- my favorite part of spotify happens once you get some momentum with it... the algorithms are pretty great for their weekly you-specific playlists "Discover Weekly" and "Release Radar". or you can dive into half-dozen daily created playlists based off your music (stuff from your own playlists, but other stuff added too)

and btw- my favorite part of spotify happens once you get some momentum with it... the algorithms are pretty great for their weekly you-specific playlists "Discover Weekly" and "Release Radar". or you can dive into half-dozen daily created playlists based off your music (stuff from your own playlists, but other stuff added too)
i also got one last week called "the ones that got away".  It is "a collection of songs you'll wish you'd discovered earlier in the year".  I guess it's like a discover weekly overflow from the year, or something.

Never a huge fan of that band outside of their fantastic name.
Heh. Used to be a favorite of mine back when I was twenty-one. We all grow up, it seems. Not a huge fan today.  

I was just riffing on the obvious; that it was 99 Luftballoons, and there's another 99 lurking.  

Heh. Used to be a favorite of mine back when I was twenty-one. We all grow up, it seems. Not a huge fan today.  

I was just riffing on the obvious; that it was 99 Luftballoons, and there's another 99 lurking.  
that was what i was thinking, though later i realized that it is NOT that obvious.

But, if you're bored...

This live version of Look Sharp! (1982) by Joe Jackson (which was included in my leftovers list) just popped up on my playlist - the drum (Larry Tolfree) /percussion (Sue Hadjopoulos) solo trade off in the middle of this one (about 1:50 in) is great. And I don't really like drum solos.

If you like Sue's playing there, check her out with Cyndi Lauper on this fantastic live version of Boy Blue (1987). This is a really great rendition of the song, Cyndi pours her heart out in this one. Love the breaks/fills by the drums (Sterling Campbell) and Sue towards the back end of the song. Seriously, if you haven't heard this one before, give it a listen. A lot of 80's stereotypical sound (I'm looking at you captain Yamaha keyboards), but still an incredible performance.

No Dave Houghton on drums?

That three album run- look sharp, I'm the man, beat crazy...even Jumpin Jive... was epic. Love all of them, and love seeing the song picked.

No Dave Houghton on drums?

That three album run- look sharp, I'm the man, beat crazy...even Jumpin Jive... was epic. Love all of them, and love seeing the song picked.
To be clear, that was just a tangental spotlight, that song did not make my top 50 (though it is among my 5 star leftovers).

Users who are viewing this thread