What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hamstrings-what is the deal w/ these? (1 Viewer)

shadrap

Footballguy
I alerted Dr. Dan as am hoping for some insight.   Why are some guys always getting the hamstring issue & some not.  I mean W. Peyton started like 14 zillion games in a row  at approx. 195 lbs.  I guess I'm asking because it seems like some NFL players are always battling this & it's not a one week thing-look at Fournette.  Is there something you can do to lessen the risk of this?    What is the deal?????

There’s not one answer to this question.

To understand why something hurts, first you have to understand what it does. The hamstrings have quite a few jobs.

1.       They flex the knee and extend the hip. That is their action.

2.       They serve as “the brakes” for knee extension; when the quadriceps contract to extend the knee, the hamstrings slow that motion down as it nears the end of available range of motion.

3.       They assist the ACL to some degree. This is important for guys who have ACL surgery and then come back quickly (less than 1 year) from surgery.

So why do we see so many more hamstring injuries today than 20 years ago? Today’s players are bigger, stronger than players of the past. Some of these guys defy human limits, but they tend to find themselves injured a lot (JJ Watt, Gronk to name two). So to point #2 above. If an athlete has massive quads, they need appropriate brakes to slow them down. Imagine driving a semi-truck with Prius brakes… good luck with those brakes lasting. Sure, these guys should work their hamstrings out and be balanced, many do. However, the human body does have limits. Our tissues have a breaking point. So this is one reason; guys are just too big, and often times imbalanced with quad/hamstring strength ratio. This is especially evident in guys who have previous ACL surgery. They are often times very imbalanced. It’s almost predictable that Dalvin Cook is having issues following coming back from ACL surgery. It doesn’t happen for everyone, but it’s the most likely to happen following that surgery. Consider that the hamstrings help with the ACL to some degree. Then you have an athlete coming back after 9, 10 months from an ACL tear. That ACL is not fully integrated yet into the bone and it hasn't turned into a ligament yet from a cellular standpoint- it's still a tendon. Those athletes are going to use their hamstrings a little more and be prone to injury

Often times an injured hamstring takes a long time to fully recover, and not just because of healing time. You have to “reprogram” that muscle how to work. Following an injury, the body learns new ways to move to compensate for pain, weakness, or injury. The body wants to get the job done as easily as it can with the least amount of work or pain. So when you strain a hamstring, it’s healed after roughly 2 weeks, but the aftermath is all what happened during those first 2 weeks: how weak did you get, is it firing correctly (at the right time, the right amount, etc), is it tight/does it resist stretch? This is when you can see guys re-injure themselves easily, such as Fournette this year.

What can be done to prevent this? Well, it’s not just stretching your hamstrings. I remember watching one of Clay Matthews’ work out routines a few years ago and during the stretching portion of his workout he was practically able to get his knee to his face. Yet, that previous year (and the year following this workout) he had significant hamstring issues. So it’s not just a flexibility issue. It’s a flexibility and a strength balance issue, not to mention a running form issue. So let’s talk about that…

Often times, when people are pulling their hamstrings during running, they are over-striding. This puts a lot of strain on the hamstrings for points #1 and #2 above. This is where gait analysis can come in and help athletes, or even weekend warriors, decrease their risk for injury. There is no “magic” cadence for appropriate running form, nor is there a best running form. You’ll hear you should run on your toes, or your heels, or midfoot. Which one is right? All 3; do what works for you. The over simplification of injuries and running is: if you are finding yourself injuring your hamstring a lot during sprinting/running, shorten your stride length/increase cadence and it will improve. In fact, that’s fairly true for most running injuries.

Then the answer that is true for a certain percentage of NFL athletes, and it's using something a little extra to help get bigger, faster, stronger. These "extras" often leave the athlete with weaker tendons, more prone to injury, as well as with muscle imbalances that the body cannot handle. I realize this does not apply to everyone, but it applies to some.

So unfortunately, there is no one answer to the question of why athletes get hurt with hamstring issues. I won't give away all of my secrets, but when I look at guys who might be injury prone I try to look at how they run- do they over stride? I try to look at how they move and see if they use quad dominant strategies. These things will put an athlete at a higher risk for injury. I also look at surgical history- did this athlete recently have a surgery? Was it a long rehab? ACL? What’s the typical recovery and rehab time? I look at injury history too- does he have significant history of hamstring or other strains that result from something more than a fluke? I make a judgement call based on these things. Some athletes concern me more than others. It’s why I disagree with those who label athletes injury prone when really their injuries come from fluke incidents, rather running style or other factors that are more predictable for injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything Dr. Dan said is spot on.

The only other thing to stress when it comes to reinjuries:

1.  Poor rehab/injury management.

2. Rushed back to the field too soon.

First of all, I don't have nearly the knowledge to match @Dr. Dan's contribution above, but one thing I've noticed is that, from a fantasy owner's perspective, different injuries are annoying in different ways:

• Hamstring/groin -- player rushes back too early and reinjures it; the reinjury is almost always much worse than the initial one
  • Lisfranc -- this is the one that initially gets reported as a "foot sprain" and then you get strung along for a few weeks hoping he'll make it back to the field before he goes on IR
  • High ankle sprain -- guy guts it out and tries to play through it, but is severely limited. I still remember the year Roddy White tried to play through a HAS and it ended up torpedoing his season. (Also, we sometimes over-emphasize the importance of "high" vs "low"; there can be LASs that are more severe than HASs)
  • ACL -- obviously, it's a season-ender when it happens, but the following year, players whose names don't rhyme with "Schmadrian Schmeterson" typically suffer other minor compensatory injuries, and often lack explosiveness (some of it may also be mental). It's not a hard and fast rule, but I will typically try to avoid guys coming off ACL tears if I can. Even more important, if they do have a bad first year back, I may buy low the following year once they're fully healthy.

I think a lot of it has to do with guys not loosening up/warming up properly.  Hammies are difficult to stretch and loosen - the most effective way takes a partner.  When was the last time you saw two guys working together on the field to loosen their hamstrings?

I think a lot if these guys are imbalanced in their thighs also.  They spend so much time and effort strengthening the quads and not nearly enough time strengthening the hammies.  That imbalace can lend itself to injuries in the weaker muscles as well.

I think a lot of it has to do with guys not loosening up/warming up properly.  Hammies are difficult to stretch and loosen - the most effective way takes a partner.  When was the last time you saw two guys working together on the field to loosen their hamstrings?
It happens every pregrame for almost all players.  There is usually a trainer working to stretch most players out.  I would guess this is the norm at this point.

Miles Austin's hamstrings ruined his once promising career.  :(

True. I think there were other factors as well with him though.

Other guys figure it out and learn how they need to treat their bodies to prevent further injury--speedsters like Santana Moss and T.Y. Hilton had early career hammy troubles. Desean I believe. Fuller is going through it right now. Fournette is as well, not the same type of player but unnaturally fast for a guy his size. 

I wouldn't consider it a death knell to a guy's career at all, that's rare.

Thanks for the info.  Appreciate it!  Just frustrating with all the hammy injuries in the last 15 years compared to "back in the day".   I'm not going to look up stats but I just don't remember Jerry Rice with many injuries & he was fast, FAST & played forever.

True. I think there were other factors as well with him though.

Other guys figure it out and learn how they need to treat their bodies to prevent further injury--speedsters like Santana Moss and T.Y. Hilton had early career hammy troubles. Desean I believe. Fuller is going through it right now. Fournette is as well, not the same type of player but unnaturally fast for a guy his size. 

I wouldn't consider it a death knell to a guy's career at all, that's rare.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it is a death knell, but just that in some cases it can be - although I think it is very rare.

I really don't think Miles Austin ever had any other notable injuries or problems. He was very good when healthy. Just couldn't stop pulling his hamstring. I think injury prone gets overused, but that dude was legitimately injury prone.

It happens every pregrame for almost all players.  There is usually a trainer working to stretch most players out.  I would guess this is the norm at this point.
I'm sure there are poorly run teams out there that don't encourage -- and provide resources for -- proper stretching, but it really is inexcusable. It's like spending $100K on a Ferrari and then getting it serviced at Pep Boys.

Thanks for the info.  Appreciate it!  Just frustrating with all the hammy injuries in the last 15 years compared to "back in the day".   I'm not going to look up stats but I just don't remember Jerry Rice with many injuries & he was fast, FAST & played forever.
I think part of it is related to their size and performance. Players are bigger and faster than ever which adds more stress to their body. That stress leads to more injuries. 

Dr. Dan said:
Often times an injured hamstring takes a long time to fully recover, and not just because of healing time. You have to “reprogram” that muscle how to work. Following an injury, the body learns new ways to move to compensate for pain, weakness, or injury. The body wants to get the job done as easily as it can with the least amount of work or pain. So when you strain a hamstring, it’s healed after roughly 2 weeks, but the aftermath is all what happened during those first 2 weeks: how weak did you get, is it firing correctly (at the right time, the right amount, etc), is it tight/does it resist stretch? This is when you can see guys re-injure themselves easily, such as Fournette this year.
Never a football player, but this part rings true for me as a fairly high level athlete back in my prime (Canadian nationals, div1 through college). Hamstrings seemed to me the most susceptible for reinjury as the body compensates for it, causing you to move/run in slightly different ways and leverage muscles -- not just in the leg but trunk, even slight upper body adjustments -- a little differently.

In my experience, as the hamstring starts to feel near 100%, you start testing/trusting it a little more, but what I've found is that at that point, as your body goes back to your normal gait/using your muscles in the way you already have without adjustment, and at full speed/effort -- BAM! -- your hamstring pulls again as you weren't compensating and supporting your hamstring like you were during injury, and that little bit more stress on your hamstring re-injures it and sets you back where you were weeks back.

groin injuries seem even worse than hammies....so easy to re-aggravate....if I hear one of my guys has a bad groin, I pretty much settle on the fact they are done for a long time...beast mode is an example right now, I bet he is out for quite a while..

groin injuries seem even worse than hammies....so easy to re-aggravate....if I hear one of my guys has a bad groin, I pretty much settle on the fact they are done for a long time...beast mode is an example right now, I bet he is out for quite a while..
The adductors are tricky because some also assist in hip flexion, so it can be more difficult to rest, plus some of them are very small. 

I agree, when I hear of a guy with a groin strain I'm considering them below 100%, or even out, for 6 weeks or so. It's just as bad if not worse than hearing "hamstring strain"

Ilov80s said:
I think part of it is related to their size and performance. Players are bigger and faster than ever which adds more stress to their body. That stress leads to more injuries. 
This is especially true for hamstrings. As Dr Dan pointed out - they serve as the ‘brakes’ on the stride to return the foot from extension back to the ground. The faster your stride is the more work the hamstrings have to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread