What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's try to ID the waiver wire RB darling from here out (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
SO looking at some posts in the waiver wire thread.  Lots of talk about where the WW talent is this year.  So let's take a shot at identifying the population (there's another RB thread but that thing is out of control - anybody with a pulse is listed in there).  Not going to spend time talking about potential injury backups - looking for opportunity and talent and likely on the waiver wire.

Here are the offenses that present an opportunity (let me know if I missed any).

NFC:

Minnesota:  Murray depending on Cook outlook

Washington:  Bibbs depending on AP ailing

Atlanta:  Opportunity for Ito Smith (Coleman free agent at EOY)

Tampa:  Ronald Jones

Seattle:  Rashard Penny

San Fran:  Mosert

Oakland:  Gruden loves some Doug Martin

Indy:  Mack/HInes

Titans:  Is there an option to Lewis/Henry

Houston:  Foreman coming back soon

Cleveland:  Chubb/Johnson

Miami:  Ballage

Any others?  Than we can talk about tiers.  And if anybody mentions Kelly in case Gurley gets hurt..................

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, which thread are you talking about who has every RB born under the sun listed?

I don't know if any of these players you listed will be the WW pick up of the year players. It is possible one of them is, or maybe its someone else. Or maybe more than one of the RB you list will be neck and neck for the honors of move valuable WW pick up.

If a player is actually WW or not really depends on the league. A lot of the players you listed were drafted in deep leagues before the season began.

Mosert might be the most obscure of the RB you listed.

I think I like Nick Chubb the most out the guys you listed to have a monster second half, although because of Hue Jackson I kind of doubt it will happen. Jackson has been doing a 60/40 split at RB for 4 or more years in a row now. He makes plays with few opportunities though. I think he is definitely a RB who could change Hues mind.

I already have the feeling that Ronald Jones is going to be bust. Which is disappointing because I do like the way he runs. His game has not translated to the next level, he is worse as a receiver than I realized (I thought he could catch just didn't get opportunity because of bad QB) I guess I am wishing someone would have pointed out that there was a reason Darnold was not targeting him when he was wide open. While I would love to be surprised, I am guessing it is not going to be him (although he might be useful at some point this season, I am not expecting him to be great anymore). Like any RB if he gets enough volume of opportunities he will be valuable for FF.

Penny is doing some good things and maybe he will be their main RB later on in the season. I could see that happening.

I really like Ito Smith. I ran into him when watching some team mates a couple years back and he is already scoring.

I wish Forman the best but I don't expect him to be able to take over right away once he comes back to play. They will likely ease him in for awhile.

I am not really interested or confident about any of the other RB you listed being a difference maker in the way you describe.

Are we discussing ppr or standard? 

What standard are we aiming for? Rb2? Flex? Rb1? I think the answers change depending what you're aiming for. For example, in a ppr league where you're content with a flex or possible rb 2, Duke Johnson deserves discussion. But barring injuries I don't see how he surpasses that ceiling. But Ronald Jones? Significantly less likely to hit imo, but has a clear opportunity to blow past Duke's level.

I recognize the variances in leagues but I would think most these guys are available in standard size leagues.  

And I think just looking for guys that can produce at a starting level - be it standard or ppr.  

Just trying to be proactive on the waiver rather than reactive.

I agree that Mack is probably the front runner right now but he was 4 carries for 8 yards until NYJ opened up a big league and started playing the run softer.

if GB would just give A. Jones the damn ball he'd be the savior for many FF'ers the second half of the season, but McCarthy seems hellbent on RBBC and playing from behind because the Packers haven't run away from anyone yet this year they've played from behind in nearly every game - probably relying on Rodgers reads at the LOS more than play calling itself.

I would NOT bet on a TB RB rising to the top. fools gold all the way. Frank Gore is probably the name you want to keep an eye on - he's probably the starting RB for Miami going forward, and will likely earn more work in each game as the season rolls on. Clearly Gase loves him,trusts him,even said as much. 

Chubb maybe a 2nd half darling, but Hue Jackson is an idiot. 

you get the feeling the #1 RB waiver darling for 2018 is Kerryon Johnson - as much as it pains me to say it , JB Cooter is giving him the rock way more than I ever thought possible. I could see that role expanding and KJ getting a LOT more work from here on out..

Tanner9919 said:
.you get the feeling the #1 RB waiver darling for 2018 is Kerryon Johnson - as much as it pains me to say it , JB Cooter is giving him the rock way more than I ever thought possible. I could see that role expanding and KJ getting a LOT more work from here on out..
I know there is a lot of league variability and all that but you have to figure KJ was drafted in over 90% of all formats. Yours must be very unique if he was available on the wire.

Bilal Powell, Nick Chubb, and Spencer Ware are the guys I'm highest on.

Those are all injury plays though (with the possible exception of Chubb).  Not sure why we would exclude the injury plays.  That's where the WW darling usually emerges.

I want guys with RB1, league winner potential, not low ceiling Duke Johnson types, and those three guys fit the bill.

One that no one seems to be interested in that has a lot of potential value is CJ Anderson.  CMC is getting a heavy workload and if any injury happens, Anderson is the unquestioned starter.  He is good in the passing game and would likely be the bellcow if CMC gets hurt.  Artis-Payne is just a guy and likely would be relegated to the current Anderson role at best.

While Anderson isn't being used a ton now, when he has been on the field he has been good and has produced.  

I realize you said "not injury plays"...but that is what all of these guys are, including the ones mentioned in OP for the most part. 

Biabreakable said:
Mosert might be the most obscure of the RB you listed.
I don't see why. Somebody will score points in tandem with Brieda. Mostart looked at least as good as Morris and roto seems to think he's the new rbbc guy. I've also heard it was a game-plan specific thing. So whatever. He's worth an add in leagues with more than 7 bench spots just to see what happens.

Lol at you people trying to list guys who require an injury after the OP specifically said they want to talk about rb upsides that do not involve needing an injury. 

I don't see why. Somebody will score points in tandem with Brieda. Mostart looked at least as good as Morris and roto seems to think he's the new rbbc guy. I've also heard it was a game-plan specific thing. So whatever. He's worth an add in leagues with more than 7 bench spots just to see what happens.
I wasn't saying Mosert isn't a good RB to pick up.

I was merely saying that he is the least known of the RB he listed. That is all.

Without injury, it’s Chubb and Penny. I can see these guys putting up Jwill numbers from last year. Both offenses need playmakers and these guys are potentially game breakers.

without injury I could see A. Jones being that guy.  More explosive and Rogers wants him on the field.  As it gets cold and they throw less someone needs to take those extra carries.

without injury I could see A. Jones being that guy.  More explosive and Rogers wants him on the field.  As it gets cold and they throw less someone needs to take those extra carries.
Green Bay keeps throwing. Cold or not, but sure I could see Jones doing well down the stretch.

I'm expecting the RBBC to continue though.

Chubb is my guess, I would also say Martin as Lynch will milk an injury at this point as his team sucks and he just wants to get paid.

CJ Anderson and Foreman are top of mind too.

Chubb is my guess, I would also say Martin as Lynch will milk an injury at this point as his team sucks and he just wants to get paid.
This is not what Lynch is about. Otherwise he wouldn't have retired. This man is all about Oakland. It's who he is. It's where he's from. The guy LOVES his city. He's there regularly. He's invested in the city not just emotionally but financially. He only came back to play with his Raiders. I'm not arguing against Martin is Lynch is hurt, but he's definitely not all about the money here. 

Marlon Brown or Spencer Ware. Both are an injury away from becoming a stud. Almost all the other guys mentioned are just JAG's.

This is not what Lynch is about. Otherwise he wouldn't have retired. This man is all about Oakland. It's who he is. It's where he's from. The guy LOVES his city. He's there regularly. He's invested in the city not just emotionally but financially. He only came back to play with his Raiders. I'm not arguing against Martin is Lynch is hurt, but he's definitely not all about the money here. 
Spot on about Lynch in Oakland.  

Lol at you people trying to list guys who require an injury after the OP specifically said they want to talk about rb upsides that do not involve needing an injury. 
Then again the OP immediately listed two RBs who required an injury to be relevant and require injuries to remain relevant.

Hilts, I disagree, Lynch isnt about money? Cares about the city Oakland? Sure he does, thats known, but that has nothing to do with him milking an injury. He is a 32 year old RB who is breaking downwho already retired once. This vibe that players are beyond milking injury is humorous, just like they are beyond many other things they end up doing. He may hate Gruden more than he likes Oakland.

But my point that makes your point that he isnt about money meaningless is..."He is just here so he wont get fined," but he isnt about money? Disagree.

He hated speaking to the media so much so that he faced his fear to save what, $50k? But he isnt about money? I have some certain fears 50k couldnt get me to shake and I'm not rich. lol

I mean, he has a famous quote that makes your whole point that he isnt about money rendered moot. I'm not one who likes to argue as I am a person who likes to hear points and while he is about Oakland is touchy feely, saying Lynch isnt about money is disingenuous and we have historic evidence that says thats the opposite.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=im+here+so+i+wont+get+fined#id=2&vid=3c621032ef38c1a13a137c3756df9cb2&action=click

Hilts, I disagree, Lynch isnt about money? Cares about the city Oakland? Sure he does, thats known, but that has nothing to do with him milking an injury. He is a 32 year old RB who is breaking downwho already retired once. This vibe that players are beyond milking injury is humorous, just like they are beyond many other things they end up doing. He may hate Gruden more than he likes Oakland.

But my point that makes your point that he isnt about money meaningless is..."He is just here so he wont get fined," but he isnt about money? Disagree.

He hated speaking to the media so much so that he faced his fear to save what, $50k? But he isnt about money? I have some certain fears 50k couldnt get me to shake and I'm not rich. lol

I mean, he has a famous quote that makes your whole point that he isnt about money rendered moot. I'm not one who likes to argue as I am a person who likes to hear points and while he is about Oakland is touchy feely, saying Lynch isnt about money is disingenuous and we have historic evidence that says thats the opposite.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=im+here+so+i+wont+get+fined#id=2&vid=3c621032ef38c1a13a137c3756df9cb2&action=click
Generally a player misses time before being accused of "milking an injury". Marshawn hasn't missed a snap and is on a bye. 

I question the bias of anyone who jumps to spurious conclusions absent evidence.

Marshawn's love for the city of Oakland is unquestionable and regularly demonstrated by his actions.

Marshawn admitting he showed up to a media session merely to avoid a fine only proves 1) he's not stupid and 2) he's honest (I think it also proves he's hilarious but that's just my opinion).

If you think $50k is somehow meaningless to a guy because he makes X million dollars only suggests that people shouldn't take financial advice from you.

Then again the OP immediately listed two RBs who required an injury to be relevant and require injuries to remain relevant.
Not true.  Assuming you mean murray and bibbs, they are behind guys that are already injured.  AP has an injured shoulder and it showed last week by the counts I have read.

those are situations to monitor.  Nobody is watching Gurley to see if he’s injured.  Or Hunt.  Or any other top rb

Not true.  Assuming you mean murray and bibbs, they are behind guys that are already injured.  AP has an injured shoulder and it showed last week by the counts I have read.

those are situations to monitor.  Nobody is watching Gurley to see if he’s injured.  Or Hunt.  Or any other top rb
Your thread, your rules.

:lol: yet you list at least 2 other situations that would require an injury, especially because you're implying a rb2 could be a "ww darling"

Yeah, I typed that running out the door.  I guess the real point is this is for discussion to try and identify the potential breakout ww rb.

So if you think it's Brown or Kelly or Ware - there's really nothing to discuss.  Go out and pick those guys up.  It's probably a lot less likely they are on the waiver wire than the guys noted above.  Bibbs is worth being in the discussion as it's reported AP has limited range in his arm due to a shoulder injury.

I am not sure which of the above Chaka and Dan think are locks in their spots for the remainder of the year but all the lead guys on those teams look vulnerable.  Please share.

And for Dan, RB2 is a wasteland this year.  If you can find a lock and load RB2 off the waiver you are in a pretty good spot.

People have got to stop with treating everything as if our opinions must be formed as if this is the court of law.

This is no court, there is no jury, this is court of public opinion...but absent evidence? Lets talk about the evidence.

Chaka, I question the motives of people who deny video evidence that Lynch is all about money when video says as much because it doesnt benefit the point you want to make, so denying evidence makes it absent to you, I suppose. He is on tape saying he just doesnt want to be fined, what says that isnt about money to you? What evidence do you have to show it wasnt about money? Was it about his respect for the media or the game that he showed up? No, he admitted why he was there. Absent evidence? I guess if you ignore it.

I have evidence its all about money, now he has milked injuries in Seattle in my "opinion" based off his last year in Seattle for instance. Dont need evidence to form an opinion, thats why I initially said its my guess. I also said in another thread I have a feeling Fitz starts again over Winston, do I need evidence or am I allowed to have that guess? But moving on, I dont need court or a jury, I am entitled to my opinion based off the evidence that I see that you want to discount, I'll question why you deny the evidence. If you read my initial statement I said "my guess is he will," because I dont think he likes Gruden. Again dont need evidence to present to you to share my guess. You dont have to listen to me, but when you say things like questioning my motves. It clear your motives should be questioned... thats my guess. When I guess, I really dont need evidence, thats why it s a guess.

This he is all about Oakland stuff, really? Then play for league minimum to help your team get more players like Mack. If not, you are not all about Oakland and to add this team is moving to Las Vegas he knows that. I do think it is pretty cute people want me to think a player who is about money cares about his city more.

Have you seen him in college? He is the only real back in Seattle as far as I can tell. The other backs will always be JAGs. 
I really liked what I saw too and he did test well but with how bad he's been in Seattle and his inability to beat out JAGs makes me wonder if perhaps he was just benefitting from a great run offense. 

I think Penny looked good this last game. His college tape showed good to great long speed, an ability to set up his blockers, and explosive acceleration out of a single cut. His ability to string cuts together and his lateral agility are lagging compared to these other traits, kind of mediocre. He has good hands, and did run some WR routes in college so he's not a complete waste in that area. I think his missed preseason hampered his development. Penny's early game problems were/are the same (but more severe) as my only significant criticism of Carson - both will commit to a collapsing A or B gap more often than I'd like to see. But I believe the RBs are coached to err on the side of a 1-2 yard gain rather than the risk of a loss of yardage associated with bouncing the run outside. In the last few possessions of the Rams game, it was absolute torture to see the 'hawks RBs, mainly Carson, run a dive into a completely collapsed A gap on 1st and 10 and 2nd and 9, putting the team in 3rd and long several times and really restricting the playcalling options - just overly conservative running, probably due to coaching. That said, the Seahawks OL is really getting into a groove on it's run blocking and it wouldn't surprise me if Penny ends up benefiting the most from the rapidly improving OL play; the kinds of gaps that are opening up are best exploited by his acceleration and long speed.

I just picked up Mostert, but has anyone mentioned Sproles? The Eagles backfield is a shambles of mediocrity (maybe Clement is above average) and if Sproles comes back healthy, I really like him as a consistent RB2 with occasional RB1 upside.

I really like the idea of trying to get on the Rams backups at some point. Probably Malcolm Brown. Not saying I think Gurley isn’t the special talent he is but McVay is just very intelligent how he installs the offense. If Gurley were to get hurt those backs are going to still be in 11 personnel and be seeing far less 8 in the box than the rest of the league making their chances for success much higher.

Big movement in the prognostications:

Chubb and Duke rocket to the top of the list

Ito and Mack to a lesser degree just cuz the increase in PT

Who's next?

Big movement in the prognostications:

Chubb and Duke rocket to the top of the list

Ito and Mack to a lesser degree just cuz the increase in PT

Who's next?
It's clearly Chubb. Not just because of the opportunity; trading away your big FA signing from the offseason is a huge vote of  confidence in him.

Users who are viewing this thread