What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WHICH WR WAS THE GOAT OF ALL TIME? (1 Viewer)

Which WR

• Jerry Rice

Votes: 151 86.8%
  • Randy Moss

Votes: 23 13.2%

• Total voters
Rice had benefits of playing with great QBs (Joe Montana and Steve Young) plus great head coach (innovative offensive play-calling).  Moss was freak of talent that crashed in NFL landscape, resulting them having a "deer in headlight".  They were unprepared in defending him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have made one heck of a duo if they played together.  

If I had to take one of them to have for their best 10 years stretch, Rice for me.

If I had to take one of them for one game when at their best, Moss.

True GOATs don't take plays off, or give up on their team when they have a losing record.

"Maybe because I'm unhappy and I'm not too much excited about what's going on, so, my concentration and focus level tend to go down sometimes when I'm in a bad mood".

Man, did that piss me off.

Ummm  are you asking which one was the goat of all time or the G.O.A.T.?

If its the second, I gotta go with Rice.  He was good everywhere... never took a season off, like Moss did final year in both Minn and Oak.

If its the former, as a Bengals fan I am gonna go with Eddie Brown, whose poor play cost us a SB win.... and who they took three picks before Rice in 1985.  Now that's a goat!

Randy Moss is the most talented WR to ever step on the field. Moss’ mind got in his way sometimes. Rice’s mind enhanced his skills. 

Depending upon how one defines greatest, both can be acceptable answers. 

Pure talent and domination:  Moss 

Moss had a gear that no one could match  

Best all around player and teammate:  Rice

Randy Moss is the most talented WR to ever step on the field. Moss’ mind got in his way sometimes. Rice’s mind enhanced his skills. 

Depending upon how one defines greatest, both can be acceptable answers. 
I give that nod to Calvin. If I could have a wr in his prime for one game, or one play, it would be Calvin. If you look at the entire career I give it to Rice. Moss was great and really fun to watch, but got caught up in an era of diva wrs, and did the same as the TOs, Joe Horns, ochocincos of the time. He disappeared for a few years in Oakland. This hurts his image. If he hadn’t had the monster years in NE he wouldn’t be in the conversation. (Well, maybe)

My favorite player of all time was Randy Moss.  Both Moss and Rice were great.

Rice played most of his career with hall of fame quarterbacks including the best quarterback in the history of the game up to that point and set almost every receiving record there is. 

But almost as impressive is that in one season with Brady, Moss immediately set the single season touchdown record and helped Brady do the same.  From randy hey nice to meet you I'm tom to 18-1 with the highest scoring offense in nfl history in 9 months. 

As impressive as Rice's records are - and it's incredible that so many have survived not only this passing era but the longer seasons - maybe the most impressive thing he did was come back from an ACL injury and play again the same season.  And he scored a touchdown. 

Rice's prime was longer,  Moss's was better. If Moss had worked as hard as rice he could have passed him. He didn't.  The answer is rice 

Randy Moss was an unreal talent, but he could not bench press Jerry’s jockstrap with TO spotting him.

The difference in receiving yards between #1 all-time Jerry Rice, and #2 all-time Terrell Owens, is GREATER than the difference between Owens and #64 all-time Wes Chandler.

Yes, you read that correctly.

?

Rice played most of his career with hall of fame quarterbacks including the best quarterback in the history of the game up to that point and set almost every receiving record there is. 

But almost as impressive is that in one season with Brady, Moss immediately set the single season touchdown record and helped Brady do the same.  From randy hey nice to meet you I'm tom to 18-1 with the highest scoring offense in nfl history in 9 months. 

As impressive as Rice's records are - and it's incredible that so many have survived not only this passing era but the longer seasons - maybe the most impressive thing he did was come back from an ACL injury and play again the same season.  And he scored a touchdown. 

Rice's prime was longer,  Moss's was better. If Moss had worked as hard as rice he could have passed him. He didn't.  The answer is rice 
Except the touchdown record Moss beat in 16 games was set in 12 by Rice. 

Except the touchdown record Moss beat in 16 games was set in 12 by Rice. 
In his third year playing with Montana. 

I get it.  i mentioned that rice played shorter seasons. And i said rice was better.

I just think one of the most impressive accomplishments I've ever seen is that, when all the receivers ever since haven't touched that record, moss - ostensibly at the end of his career and traded for a 4th round pick - immediately broke it. Even if you call it the second best in history it still begs the question, what would 2008 have looked like if Brady hadn't gotten hurt the first week? 

We know now that Brady was no slouch, but moss didn't get to play his whole career with Brady.  Rice got to play almost his whole career with two of the best that ever played the game.  So there is a legitimate what if argument that moss could have done better if they'd swapped situations.  

But as good as Montana and young were they didn't make rice. Rice made the most of his talent. Moss will always be the guy who makes you wonder what if. 

You’ve got a guy who set a career TD record that stood for over 4 decades, done in only 116 games, who when he started his career the forward pass was only a trick play and DBs could maul WRs, and lead his team to 5 straight NFL championships.  When he finished his 10 year career passing was a regular staple in every team’s offense.  He was a guy who changed the game of football almost single handedly (okay, there was also this Baugh guy too, but still...).  Imagine what that guy would have done if he played 200 to 300 games in his career and DBs were forced to play with their hands tied.

History, gents.  History.

Agree with the final analysis, but I wouldn’t be so quick to give Moss the nod on prime being better.

Between 1993-1995 Rice put up:

98/1503/15

112/1499/13

122/1848/15

I’d put that 3-year stretch up against any of Moss’s.  Even from a fantasy standpoint, 796 points over that 93-95 peak exceeds any of Moss’s best 3 years.  

Rice’s 1995 (292 points) essentially par with Moss 2007 (287).  In fact, Moss didn’t even have three 250-point seasons his entire career, let alone three *consecutive* 250-point seasons like Rice did.

Moss’s peak was nuts.  I just don’t want it lost or dismissed how freakishly nuts Rice was during his peak, as well.

Statistically, Rice's first 10 years in the league were better than Moss's first 10 years.  More catches, more yards, more TDs, etc. 

And then Rice played for another 10 years, and his numbers in that second decade all by themselves would be roughly the 50th best receiving career all-time.

Edit: I may even be understating the second half of his career.  If he stopped playing after his first 10 years, he's still arguably the GOAT.  And then he was basically Michael Irvin for the next 10 years.  

Statistically, Rice's first 10 years in the league were better than Moss's first 10 years.  More catches, more yards, more TDs, etc. 

And then Rice played for another 10 years, and his numbers in that second decade all by themselves would be roughly the 50th best receiving career all-time.
Yup.  The argument in favor of Moss is not empirically- or data-driven.  It’s based on the emotional shock and awe of what we witnessed that’s still fresh in our minds.  He was remarkable.  

I suspect, however, that a lot of folks here either never saw—or have decaying memory of—Rice, leading to the false impression that somehow he was just a compiler and/or just reaped benefits of great QBs.  Both of which are true AND he was an absolute freak.

This topic brought to you by the Dept of Redundancy Dept. 

The GOAT of OAT huh? lol 

only one WR in that discussion & his name isn’t Moss. 

Yup.  The argument in favor of Moss is not empirically- or data-driven.  It’s based on the emotional shock and awe of what we witnessed that’s still fresh in our minds.  He was remarkable.  

I suspect, however, that a lot of folks here either never saw—or have decaying memory of—Rice, leading to the false impression that somehow he was just a compiler and/or just reaped benefits of great QBs.  Both of which are true AND he was an absolute freak.
One more thing I'd add about moss 

Rice benefited from one of the major coaching innovations in NFL history with the west coast offense.  He had the best coach, best quarterback, best scheme that had ever been seen, and the talent around him was exceptional.  

Until the Patriots, moss played with an ver the hill Cunningham, Brad Johnson, daunte culpepper and Kerry Collins - not exactly Montana and Young - and the biggest offensive innovation he saw was from an offensive line coach turned head coach who developed the Randy ratio with a pass play called Randy Go. 

Most productive versus Best.

Not the same imo.

If you were drafting WRs, even knowing Rice's career - you are taking several more recent players over him.  Moss, Calvin, Julio for no brainer starters.

Most productive versus Best.

Not the same imo.

If you were drafting WRs, even knowing Rice's career - you are taking several more recent players over him.  Moss, Calvin, Julio for no brainer starters.
Nah I still take Rice.  Not buying the stuff like "I'd take Rice's career, but I'd take ____ for 1 game."  People forget how good Rice was.  You want a WR for just one game?  How about:

Super Bowl 23: 11 rec, 215 yards, 1 TD

Super Bowl 24: 7 rec, 148 yards, 3 TD

Super Bowl 29: 10 rec, 149 yards, 3 TD

Super Bowl 37 (at age 41 lol): 5 rec, 77 yards, 1 TD

I'll take that guy.  

Not even close.  Jerry Rice. 
No kidding! I'm not even sure Moss would be top-5. He wouldn't be my choice just of WR's from this year's HOF class.

No position has a more obvious greatest player than WR. The dropoff from Rice to Randy Moss is bigger than the dropoff from Randy Moss to Santana Moss. Rice made every QB he played with look like a stud. Not just Montana, Young and Gannon, but guys like Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac. Even Jeff Kemp(who was barely an acceptable QB3) had his moments with Rice. 

Moss gets way too much credit for big plays, and not enough blame for being an awful teammate. I'd have rather had Terrell Owens as a teammate any day of the week. Sure he might act like a jerk, but at least I'd know he was gonna outwork everyone else and not loaf. 

This topic brought to you by the Dept of Redundancy Dept. 

The GOAT of OAT huh? lol 

only one WR in that discussion & his name isn’t Moss. 
WHEN I THINK OF THE GOAT OF ALL TIME IT HAS TO DO WITH THE PEAK PERFORMANCE AND NOT JUST HOW MANY 1,000 THOUSAND YARD SEASONS THEY HAVE STRUNG TOGETHER.

Nah I still take Rice.  Not buying the stuff like "I'd take Rice's career, but I'd take ____ for 1 game."  People forget how good Rice was.  You want a WR for just one game?  How about:

Super Bowl 23: 11 rec, 215 yards, 1 TD

Super Bowl 24: 7 rec, 148 yards, 3 TD

Super Bowl 29: 10 rec, 149 yards, 3 TD

Super Bowl 37 (at age 41 lol): 5 rec, 77 yards, 1 TD

I'll take that guy.  
Not for 1 game.  Starting fresh today, to begin a career.

You would draft several WRs ahead of him starting over today.  In that way, I don't think there is any doubt several of the freaks we have seen over the last 20 years would be considered better players.

No kidding! I'm not even sure Moss would be top-5. He wouldn't be my choice just of WR's from this year's HOF class.

No position has a more obvious greatest player than WR. The dropoff from Rice to Randy Moss is bigger than the dropoff from Randy Moss to Santana Moss. Rice made every QB he played with look like a stud. Not just Montana, Young and Gannon, but guys like Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac. Even Jeff Kemp(who was barely an acceptable QB3) had his moments with Rice. 

Moss gets way too much credit for big plays, and not enough blame for being an awful teammate. I'd have rather had Terrell Owens as a teammate any day of the week. Sure he might act like a jerk, but at least I'd know he was gonna outwork everyone else and not loaf. 
I am not sure I would even put Moss 2nd.  His lows were too low, and he quit in too many games and on too many teams.  

I had a friend that had a pet goat. Coolest goat ever. It acted like a dog. You could wrestle with it, play catch and all kinds of stuff. It never caught footballs but it did catch tennis balls. His name was Henry but we called him Hank. I say was because this was 15 years ago and I don't know how long goats can live so I just figure he's dead. Anyway, I consider Hank to be the GOAT of all time because that dude was cooler than Jerry Rice, who isn't even an actual goat.

tl;dr @ScottNorwood fix your poal thx

This is crazy talk. After Moss’ rookie season, the Packers drafted 3 consecutive DBs. He literally changed how teams operated. 

The Packers always draft consecutive DBs. 1st and 2nd round pick 2018, first and 2nd round pick in 2017, first and 2nd round pick in 2015....

Users who are viewing this thread