What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Guys 2017 Accuracy (1 Viewer)

RaiderDave99

Footballguy
I know the last couple of years there have been sites that put together how accurate preseason projections were compared to actual at the end of the season.  It would compare other sites and other fantasy professionals.  Anyone have a link for this for last season?

Thanks

Ewww, I hope not.  There is one FBG in the top 130...
Wait, who?  I didn't look at the list before I posted the link.  Just looked and I don't see any FBG on the list at all.  I know historically multiple FBGs did pretty well in the rankings, maybe they're not included last year for some reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the 'Analysis' link on that pages, it says they analyzed 130 experts from their preseason rankings, so that list of 130 are the only ones that they looked at.

Somewhat related, but who do you think are the best analysts in the industry? Overall, I think it's the Fantasy Guru, John Hansen. It seems like he is less involved with his site these days though. I like the deep dive analysis of most DFS analysts (e.g. Guru Elite).

On this site, I've always respected David Dodds.

The worst are probably the Rotowire guys and the NFL Network Fantasy show clowns.

Somewhat related, but who do you think are the best analysts in the industry? Overall, I think it's the Fantasy Guru, John Hansen. It seems like he is less involved with his site these days though. I like the deep dive analysis of most DFS analysts (e.g. Guru Elite).

On this site, I've always respected David Dodds.

The worst are probably the Rotowire guys and the NFL Network Fantasy show clowns.
Dodds has decent rankings but his upgrade/downgrade/ww advice during the season is a joke

I know Bob Henry did well the year before.  I based the next year in DD turning up his rankings but not sure that all worked out well.  Good to see the site you are loyal too out there dominating their industry though.  If any FGB staffer can chime in would be great.

I actually think the Tremblay weekly picks are way out there on MyFBG.  Not sure if he is the one trying to go bust or boom but Dodds and the other person (cant think who at moment) are more in line with th norm week by week.

Somewhat related, but who do you think are the best analysts in the industry?
My favorites from FBG are Bloom of course, and Bob Henry. 

Others are: Sean Koerner (Action Network), John Paulsen (4for4), Jake Ciely (Rotoexperts), Pat Fitzmaurice, Justin Boone, Scott Pianowski (Yahoo), and the Sablich Brothers.

^ Koerner/Paulsen/Ciely/Fitzmaurice/Sablich is  mine, too. Mostly for making in-season DFS roster decisions.

Two years ago, my doorman got roped into a league last minute. Knowledgeable in NFL, but never played FF. I found him Sablich Brothers draft rankings day of his draft. He won the league.

Evan Silva is a really good read. While he makes plenty of mistakes, I respect how he thinks and he grounds his projections in generally sound logic. 

They need to stop calling fortune tellers "experts".
It's about knowing the situations that players are in and making reasonable forecasts based on that information.  If you don't have enough time to do all that research, then you rely more on the "experts."  But I agree--it's not as if some guys have the gift of clairvoyance and others don't.

It's about knowing the situations that players are in and making reasonable forecasts based on that information.  If you don't have enough time to do all that research, then you rely more on the "experts."  But I agree--it's not as if some guys have the gift of clairvoyance and others don't.
I think we are complaining for the sake of complaining when we start to voice annoyance with what these people call themselves or what others call them. 

if you dont like what they have to say, dont pay for it. I dont like Dodds' weekly WW upgrade downgrades. so I dont read them. but I like the dynasty information and the rankings. I wont get bent out of shape if their rankings are wrong. I dont follow them 100%

I'd like to see those people put their own projections on record so we can go back and see how great they are. chances are they are far worse than these experts. we are all wrong way more often than we are right. its dumb and petty when people criticize posters for being wrong about something, and it's no different than the experts being wrong. 

I think we are complaining for the sake of complaining when we start to voice annoyance with what these people call themselves or what others call them. 

if you dont like what they have to say, dont pay for it. that's the funniest part about all of this, people pay for this information and then complain about it. 

I'd like to see those people put their own projections on record so we can go back and see how great they are. chances are they are far worse than these experts. we are all wrong way more often than we are right. its dumb and petty when people criticize posters for being wrong about something, and it's no different than the experts being wrong. 
Agree with everything you said, except for the bolded.  Were we all to to spend the time that the "experts" do, I would wager that prediction outcomes (who performed better at season's end, "experts" or "average Joes with the same amount of time invested") would be pretty random.  But that's the rub--we don't have that time, hence we pay up.  But every time I hear "fantasy football expert," I :lmao: .  And on some level, I'm sure the "experts" do, too.

Agree with everything you said, except for the bolded.  Were we all to to spend the time that the "experts" do, I would wager that prediction outcomes (who performed better at season's end, "experts" or "average Joes with the same amount of time invested") would be pretty random.  But that's the rub--we don't have that time, hence we pay up.  But every time I hear "fantasy football expert," I :lmao: .  And on some level, I'm sure the "experts" do, too.
well, sure, if we had the time we could be comparable. 

I agree, expert is a funny term. i even think mel kiper as a draft expert is kind of funny. 

if you dont like what they have to say, dont pay for it. I dont like Dodds' weekly WW upgrade downgrades. so I dont read them. but I like the dynasty information and the rankings. I wont get bent out of shape if their rankings are wrong. I dont follow them 100%

When we are all wrong more often than we are right, and the "experts" are wrong more often than they are right.... oops?

It is an effort to market/brand themselves as more than they are.

Agreed - I appreciate the information and insight that these people can provide.

But what I do with that information and what they do with that information is EXACTLY the same... we make guesses.  With more/better information we can all make slightly better guesses.

Guessing "experts"?

I’ve subscribed to FFG for the past 5-6 years. I’m curious if they submit their rankings to fantasypros for evaluation. If they don’t, why not? The fact that not a single FFG analyst placed among the 109 analysts ranked in 2017 is disconcerting. 

I’ve subscribed to FFG for the past 5-6 years. I’m curious if they submit their rankings to fantasypros for evaluation. If they don’t, why not? The fact that not a single FFG analyst placed among the 109 analysts ranked in 2017 is disconcerting. 
I can't answer the why, but FBG didn't participate last year, so it's no reflection on their performance in '17. They did used to participate and do pretty well. Looking back at old lists, it looks like FBG stopped submitting after 2015. 

I dont like Dodds' weekly WW upgrade downgrades. so I dont read them. but I like the dynasty information and the rankings. I wont get bent out of shape if their rankings are wrong. I dont follow them 100%
I think this is the best way to approach the FBG content, as a buffet of information.

Personally, I appreciate the IDP info and dynasty stuff the most. I think they do a good job of tracking targets and talking about those trends mid-season. When I suggest FBG's as a possible tool for other people to use it's typically because I think they would enjoy the weekly projections(who should I start) type of information. For a lot of folks an informed second opinion on who they should start for 16 weeks is worth the subscriber price by itself. For others, the contest is enough by itself to make it a good value.

There is probably a ton of stuff I could criticize, but I just don't read it so I don't know if it's all that good or bad. A buffet may have terrible mashed potatoes compared to your mom's.... but if you have no interest in mash potatoes what difference does it make?

I thought I heard it costs money to submit fantasy rankings to Fantasy Pros. Also, the projections for FantasyPros is based on end of the year macro results and most people don't draft that way. I don't draft the 50th WR off the board in the 12th round hoping he finishes the year with the 50th best stats. I hope that he performs like a top 20 WR and am ready to cut him for a WW pick-up when that likely doesn't happen. Like there is no way I end up drafting Sanu but I would draft Courtland Sutton. Sanu is almost sure to get more targets and finish with better stats. However, he obviously doesn't have the kind of upside Sutton does. 

While the attached site doesn't appear to have a 2017 season accuracy update, if you read the content you'll realize that the results are moot.  

This is one of my favorite fantasy theory sites:

http://fantasyfootballanalytics.net/2017/03/best-fantasy-football-projections-2017.html
Key conclusion from that article, imo:

The weighted average was equally accurate compared to the simple average.  Weights were based on historical accuracy.  If the best analysts are consistently more accurate than other analysts, the weighted average will likely outperform the mean.  If, on the other hand, analysts don’t reliably outperform each other, the mean might be as or more accurate.  Given the mean and weighted average were equally accurate each year, the evidence suggests that analysts don’t consistently outperform (or underperform) each other.
So predicting fantasy football performance is a lot like stock market forecasting, in that no one reliably beats collective wisdom year after year.

Makes sense actually.

Arodin said:
Key conclusion from that article, imo:

So predicting fantasy football performance is a lot like stock market forecasting, in that no one reliably beats collective wisdom year after year.

Makes sense actually.
Exactly.  It's a fascinating concept. 

Should I buy the T Rowe Price or the Fidelity fund?  I should buy the index fund with the lowest fees.

Should I believe David or Evan Silva or (insert rando here)?  I should use some combination of averaged projections (index fund) or my own (buy stocks or options rather than funds).

None of this is to say David's or any one else's projections are not good, just that no one should be expected to consistently beat the index.  Further, although I might not buy the T Rowe Price fund, there is value in observing the holdings, and to understand the basis for weighting individual players (stocks).

Index funds...

thats why I like that FBG has so many staff rankings. We get a wisdom of the crowds just by looking at average staff ranking. I use those to guide me and maybe shift a guy up or down based on personal bias. 

Users who are viewing this thread