What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Misophonia support group (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
For most of my life, I have had the very typical symptoms of this, just did not have the name or "diagnosis" until a few years ago.  I think it is hard for people to understand how real it is.  I can be eating a meal with my family, and one of them will all of a sudden start chewing loudly (and don't even think about chewing gum around me) and it is like a switch gets flipped.  It is not even irritation.  It ranges from anger to flat out rage, and it is so involuntary.

I have coped for a long time by just removing myself from the situation.   Things have gotten really tense lately now that I have a son-in-law that could be the loudest, most obnoxious eater in the northern hemisphere.  I will just get up and walk away any more when they are over and he goes into overdrive.  To make matters worse, it is like this guy is always hungry.  He comes over and just starts eating with such vigor and decibel that I might qualify as a Catholic Saint for the miracle of me not flat out rage monstering on him.  So far so good.  I just give the wife a look, she nods, and I excuse myself.  Daughter to this point has not made the connection.

How have my FFA brothers coped with this?  Does it go from 1 to 11 for you as well? 

On board. My sisters and I all have it. My oldest child has it as well. People need to learn manners and chew with their mouths closed. Period. Also, getting a drink of water shouldn’t be a 150 decibel event. My wife drinks like a cow unfortunately, but thankfully my hearing is getting worse and my tinnitus is as well. So most times I can’t hear the sloppy eating and drinking that goes on around me. I stand proudly beside you Mad Cow. Oh, and by the way, they have a problem, we don’t. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On board. My sisters and I all have it. My oldest child has it as well. People need to learn manners and chew with their mouths closed. Period. Also, getting a drink of water shouldn’t be a 150 decibel event. My wife drinks like a cow unfortunately, but thankfully my hearing is getting worse and my tinnitus is as well. So most times I can’t hear the sloppy eating and drinking that goes on around me. I stand proudly beside you Mad Cow. Oh, and by the way, they have a problem, we don’t. 
:rolleyes:

Misophonia is not classified as an auditory or psychiatric condition, there are no standard diagnostic criteria, and there is little research on how common it is or the treatment. 

Seriously though - my wife appears to have this "issue".  My response is to ignore it.  I'm able to tune her out, so she can tune out my chewing/drinking.

never considered being irritated by slurping, chomping and crunching so loud that a person can be heard 10 yards away to be something unusual. who the hell doesn't find it disgusting?

what's difficult about chewing small enough bites that one's mouth doesn't have to be wide open? or chewing with your mouth shut and not slurping and slobbering while eating?

No idea why you would be afraid of that soup they serve at sushi restaurants.  You've got problems.

Like I said, it is hard to understand if you don't experience it.  I am not talking about loud eating, it can be just eating in general.  Certain sounds just trigger it and it has everything to do with self-control in not letting it control you and fly off the handle.

No idea why you would be afraid of that soup they serve at sushi restaurants.  You've got problems.
Get your Asian food to go! In many countries, it is a sign of appreciation to the chef when you slurp your noodles/soup!

If the soup you are talking about is the same that they serve at Hibachi restaurants; I disagree, I find it delicious. But hey, I don't eat sushi! :)

My son’s mouth is like an echo chamber. Mouth closed or not, if he’s eating anything with crunch factor of lettuce and above everyone in the family wants to murder him.

My son’s mouth is like an echo chamber. Mouth closed or not, if he’s eating anything with crunch factor of lettuce and above everyone in the family wants to murder him.
So there aren't any Grape Nuts in the house then?

Like I said, it is hard to understand if you don't experience it.  I am not talking about loud eating, it can be just eating in general.  Certain sounds just trigger it and it has everything to do with self-control in not letting it control you and fly off the handle.
If you flew off the handle, what would you do? 

For most of my life, I have had the very typical symptoms of this, just did not have the name or "diagnosis" until a few years ago.  I think it is hard for people to understand how real it is.  I can be eating a meal with my family, and one of them will all of a sudden start chewing loudly (and don't even think about chewing gum around me) and it is like a switch gets flipped.  It is not even irritation.  It ranges from anger to flat out rage, and it is so involuntary.

I have coped for a long time by just removing myself from the situation.   Things have gotten really tense lately now that I have a son-in-law that could be the loudest, most obnoxious eater in the northern hemisphere.  I will just get up and walk away any more when they are over and he goes into overdrive.  To make matters worse, it is like this guy is always hungry.  He comes over and just starts eating with such vigor and decibel that I might qualify as a Catholic Saint for the miracle of me not flat out rage monstering on him.  So far so good.  I just give the wife a look, she nods, and I excuse myself.  Daughter to this point has not made the connection.

How have my FFA brothers coped with this?  Does it go from 1 to 11 for you as well? 
I had this problem with my ex-wife. Mentioned in a counseling session. The ice chewing, the stuffing a whole nacho chip in her mouth and chewing it with he mouth open, and then there was her eating of breakfast cereal.

Turns out I had a ####load of resentment and I was fishing for something to piss me off.

Get some help dude.

I have moments of this.  My GF also does a thing where she scratches the couch cushion or the sheets to get the cat's attention and that sometimes triggers it also.  It doesn't always bother me though.  I definitely thing it's the person with the intense reactions issue though and naming it like a medical issue is some poor me victimization BS.  It's like they say, you can't control what happens to you, but you can control the way you react. 

I have this too.  It tends to ramp up and down depending on my mood or other outside factors.  My wife started turning the TV off during dinner (as we should so we can have some family discussion time with the kids) but I have to at least turn on music sometimes to get through dinner.  And that's after programming my kids to chew with their mouth closed, etc.  Sometimes my wife will grab a bowl of cereal at night and start eating it on the couch next to me.  Some days I can focus on something else and ignore it but sometimes I have to get up and go somewhere else.

You're right, people that don't have it don't understand.  It's like I can go from a good mood to having an urge to punch my wife or kids (who I love very much) directly in the face for chewing in my ear.  Would never do it, just describing the feeling.

Is this really a disease or being turned off by people who are not considerate?  I always assumed I was the later, but maybe there is a real reason. :shrug:

Are there any treatments for misophonia? Any research into common depressants, stimulants (including the common ADHD meds), or cannabinoids having a mitigating effect?

I have never heard of Misophonia before, but I too get much more annoyed with loud chewing and bad table manners than most others I know.  I try hard to ignore it.  I especially hate the sound of chewing and when I hear it on TV, I will change the channel.  For me, some of the most annoying commercials are when they have the crunching or chewing noise.  Also, like with Mad Cow and others, it's involuntary for me so ignoring it takes effort.

I consider it more SelfAbsorbtia. Lack of awareness of how what you are doing is seen by others, lack of empathy and lack of manners. 

I disagree with telling the sufferer to grin and bear it. Tell the SIL to chew with his mouth closed and chew more quietly.  :hophead:

I consider it more SelfAbsorbtia. Lack of awareness of how what you are doing is seen by others, lack of empathy and lack of manners. 

I disagree with telling the sufferer to grin and bear it. Tell the SIL to chew with his mouth closed and chew more quietly.  :hophead:
SIL is probably "chewing quietly" -- to himself and others without misophonia.

My understanding of misophonia (daughter seems to have it) is that there's no such thing to her as "quiet chewing" except her own. Super-careful, mouth-closed, slow-motion noiseless chewing in other people still bothers her if she is aware of it.

Gum chewing makes me want to put an ice pick through my ears.

Had an awesome roommate in college whose only flaw was crunching on pretzels.

I didn't know this was an actual diagnosis.

I go from 1 to 12 in a heartbeat.

Movie theatres selling popcorn is the worst thing ever for me.  Crunching ice.  My wife's jaw pops weirdly when she eats, I feel like I have a stethoscope up to everyone's cheeks when they eat.  I hear everything.  I often eat away from family on spaghetti night.  I'll get up and leave mid show when my wife opens a bag of potato chips or nuts.

It annoys me to the point that I am uber paranoid that anyone would ever hear me eat.  Mouth closed always.. First bite doesn't happen until lips closed around fork/utensil/mouthful, I suck on things to soften them before chewing.  I slow crush crunchy food.

It annoys me to the point that I am uber paranoid that anyone would ever hear me eat.  Mouth closed always.. First bite doesn't happen until lips closed around fork/utensil/mouthful, I suck on things to soften them before chewing.  I slow crush crunchy food.
Is that on the left or right side?

I didn't know this was an actual diagnosis.

I go from 1 to 12 in a heartbeat.

Movie theatres selling popcorn is the worst thing ever for me.  Crunching ice.  My wife's jaw pops weirdly when she eats, I feel like I have a stethoscope up to everyone's cheeks when they eat.  I hear everything.  I often eat away from family on spaghetti night.  I'll get up and leave mid show when my wife opens a bag of potato chips or nuts.
One of the few things that bother me about my wife.  Totally skeeves me out.  but I never thought to find out, if my not liking it was a disease I might have. 

One of the few things that bother me about my wife.  Totally skeeves me out.  but I never thought to find out, if my not liking it was a disease I might have.
That would make sense since it would obviously be classified as a mental disorder rather than a disease.

GroveDiesel said:
That would make sense since it would obviously be classified as a mental disorder rather than a disease.
:mellow:   potato/potatoe  i didn't think to see if i had a mental disorder.  

RC94 said:
  I especially hate the sound of chewing and when I hear it on TV, I will change the channel. 
This is me - or at least mute. Kit Kat commercials are the worst. And there's a scene in What's Up Doc where Streisand is chewing a carrot. I kept muting and unmuting to see if she was done. :lol:

I remember feeling so vindicated the 1st time I heard it had a name. I think it is believed to relate to how the brain processes sound.

From Psychology Today--
"There is no clear agreement regarding the definition of Misophonia. However, the consensus is that Misophonia is considered a neurological/auditory disorder in which the brain misinterprets auditory stimuli. Auditory stimuli are often pattern based, repetitive and may or may not emanate from other people.Most of the trigger sounds reported by individuals with Misophonia are sounds that would not be noticed by other people. Successful figure-to-ground discrimination is sometimes referred to as the “cocktail party effect”. One automatically processes auditory stimuli so that important information is attended to, while the rest is “filtered” to the background.  Typical trigger noises, such as chewing, coughing, pencil tapping,  could easily be viewed as noises that many people filter to the “background” in favor of speech, or something else relatively salient. " 

Users who are viewing this thread