What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anarchy Opens His Concert Vault - Free U2 (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Haven't given anything away in a while because (knock on wood) musicians haven't been falling like flies lately. So to kick off the new U2 tour that starts tonight and get people psyched up to see them, I am dipping into my music vault again and offering up a boatload of free U2 stuff spanning across their 40 year career.

Mostly live shows across all their tours, but as a bonus also a ton of B sides, covers, rare performances, songs that many people won't know exist, demos, alternate versions, unreleased tracks, and some things they only played once. Plenty of music for the casual fan all the way to really rare stuff for the uber U2 fanatic.

Here's what people will get FOR FREE, NO CHARGE:

- 100 hours of material, a lot of which sounds so good you will think the band is in your car or living room (or wherever you want to listen to it).
- All the files are audio mp3's put on DVDs, so you will have to have a way (and figure out on your own) to transfer the files from a DVD to a device of your choosing.
- To clarify, there are no video files . . . only audio files.

If you want in, PM me your real name and postal mailing address and I will send it to you. It might take me a couple of weeks to get the stuff out, but I will send it to anyone that wants a copy as soon as I am able.

Howd it go!?!?
I've seen about 100 concerts over the years. had never seen U2 before.  The show was pretty awesome.  I'm pretty sure the video screen they used is part of their show. It extended almost the length of the floor and the screen was in 3D and the effects and shots of them playing were off the charts.

So you had the normal stage at one end. And then there was a ramp from the stage all the way to the other end of the floor. The other end of the floor was an enlarged circle. They spent most of their time playing on the ramp. It was pretty cool.

Video Screen and stage ramp

Entire Ramp/Bright yellow light is where main stage was

That screen moved up and down.

They had a U2 Experience app that they emailed to me before the concert.  It looked like 20% of us downloaded the app. About 10 minutes before the concert started, you could could turn on the app and point it to the huge screen and their was some wicked things that were projected onto your phone. One was a cascading waterfall that made it look like the water was falling onto the crowd.  You were able to take pics of these projections on your phone. 

U2 Experience App - Cascading waterfall onto the crowd before the concert.

Second half of the show was less focused on the music and was mostly a series of political statements. Wasn't a huge fan of that.

Set list - played 2 1/2 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen about 100 concerts over the years. had never seen U2 before.  The show was pretty awesome.  I'm pretty sure the video screen they used is part of their show. It extended almost the length of the floor and the screen was in 3D and the effects and shots of them playing were off the charts.

So you had the normal stage at one end. And then there was a ramp from the stage all the way to the other end of the floor. The other end of the floor was an enlarged circle. They spent most of their time playing on the ramp. It was pretty cool.

They had a U2 Experience app that they emailed to me before the concert.  It looked like 20% of us downloaded the app. About 10 minutes before the concert started, you could could turn on the app and point it to the huge screen and their was some wicked things that were projected onto your phone. One was a cascading waterfall that made it look like the water was falling onto the crowd.  You were able to take pics of these projections on your phone. 

Second half of the show was less focused on the music and was mostly a series of political statements. Wasn't a huge fan of that.

So pumped. I saw them in Seattle and KC last year and I got tickets for Omaha in a couple weeks.  

Ghost Rider said:
Yep, it is a good to see they finally played that great song, from their best album.  Yes, Achtung Baby is better than The Joshua Tree.  
Even Better Than the Real Thing

Getzlaf15 said:

Great stuff.  Thanks for the thorough description and pics!

Anarchy99 said:
Last night was the first time they've ever played Acrobat, if anyone cares.
That’s surprising. That’s one of my favorite songs from Achtung Baby.

Anarchy99 said:
Last night was the first time they've ever played Acrobat, if anyone cares.
On the Zoo TV Tour, the indoor show I saw they played 10 of the 12 songs on Achtung Baby, including the first eight of the show.  It felt like an act of defiance, that they were no longer the band they were on their older albums.  Acrobat and So Cruel were the two left behind.  Was curious if they would ever revisit those two, especially after they've brought back a deep track like Ultraviolet to recent tours.   

On the Zoo TV Tour, the indoor show I saw they played 10 of the 12 songs on Achtung Baby, including the first eight of the show.  It felt like an act of defiance, that they were no longer the band they were on their older albums.  Acrobat and So Cruel were the two left behind.  Was curious if they would ever revisit those two, especially after they've brought back a deep track like Ultraviolet to recent tours.   
Oddly enough, they've played Acrobat in soundchecks before but never in an actual show. Not sure what prompted them to avoid playing for 26 years.

Since you mentioned So Cruel, I was at the show where they first played it. They only played it two more times after that. It never dawned on me that it would be a special thing. At that show, we also got 10 Achtung songs (just not Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses which would have to be the song you got that we didn't).

On the Zoo TV Tour
I was lucky enough to see U2 in the Charlotte Coliseum in 1992 and then later that year in Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia. I was in the rafters in Charlotte and on the 12th row in Columbia.With the walkway out to a smaller stage I was real close for parts of the show. My only two U2 concerts. I need to change that.

Nugget said:
So pumped. I saw them in Seattle and KC last year and I got tickets for Omaha in a couple weeks.  
Did the Truman Sports Complex doubleheader on the KC show - Royals moved their game up to 12:15 first pitch to accommodate the U2 concert.  Walking around between innings, we heard some of the soundcheck over at Arrowhead.  Tailgated after the baseball game until time to walk over to Arrowhead for the concert - they didn't empty the parking lot between events.  

Was going to skip this tour, but now I see there are still unsold seats for the Omaha show.  On a Saturday.  Hmm...

Was going to skip this tour
This is where I get wishy washy. I don't care quite as much for their catalog from the past 25 years. The setlist from the Tulsa show had too many newer songs for my liking. So for my tastes, I would have been better off going to see one of their 2017 shows (where they concentrated on songs from the 80's and 90's).

Even if they played songs I didn't know or didn't love, I am sure they would play them very well . . . but I would not be as into it. They usually play about 40% newer songs and 60% older material these days. I have seen them so many times over 4 decades that at this point I am not compelled to say I am dying to see them again (not for the ticket prices where I live).

Interesting enough, in looking at tickets in St. Louis, you can get tickets just to the side of the stage for roughly $100. The same seats in Boston are going for $500-$600. Even face value seats are going for $325. Too rich for my blood.

Yeah prices look steep at the moment but invariably you can get good pricing for just about any show by hitting up stubhub an hour before the event.

I am hoping they hit a Texas stop after the Europe leg.

This is where I get wishy washy. I don't care quite as much for their catalog from the past 25 years. The setlist from the Tulsa show had too many newer songs for my liking. So for my tastes, I would have been better off going to see one of their 2017 shows (where they concentrated on songs from the 80's and 90's).

Even if they played songs I didn't know or didn't love, I am sure they would play them very well . . . but I would not be as into it. They usually play about 40% newer songs and 60% older material these days. I have seen them so many times over 4 decades that at this point I am not compelled to say I am dying to see them again (not for the ticket prices where I live).

Interesting enough, in looking at tickets in St. Louis, you can get tickets just to the side of the stage for roughly $100. The same seats in Boston are going for $500-$600. Even face value seats are going for $325. Too rich for my blood.
I got a ticket for $40 for tonight's show.  It was a good show, but getting bludgeoned with the political stuff on the big screen for much of the second half of the show really sapped my strength.  I go to a rock concert to let loose for 2-3 hours and have fun, not to get lectured to.  Yes, this stuff has always been a big part of U2, but the way it is being presented this time is just annoying.  

As for the tunes, getting Acrobat was awesome; one of the highlights for me.  The crowd was nuts for most of the hits (predictably), and most of the new songs didn't get much of a reaction.  Ending the show with 13 might make sense thematically, but it is awfully mellow to be a show closer.  I know it is U2's thing to end shows with something from their newest album, but I think going with a fan favorite rocker is always the best way to go.  I still can't believe what a turd American Soul is. 

Overall, good show, and I enjoyed most of it, but it didn't stand out (as someone who has been to probably 100 concerts now over the years). 

I have been looking for a decent sounding show to include since they kicked off the tour. Haven't found one yet. Will give it a little longer to see if one pops up.

Not too late to get in on this if there are other folks that want in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming down the final stretch now. Actually have too much and will have to thin out some stuff. Finally found a recording of 2018 material with excellent sound. Hope to start sending stuff out in the next few days. Not too late to get in if people are interested.

The problem for me would that Bono can't sing very well live anymore.  I'd have a hard time listening to a full live recording of one of their current shows.  It used to be that U2 made songs better live.  They can't anymore because the vocals are now always worse. 

joker said:
Big shout out to Anarchy again for all he does with these offers. I just finished sending a donation via Paypal and would encourage those of you who can afford it to send something Anarchy's way - we want him to be the gift that keeps on giving  :thumbup:
I'd appreciate a pm with the Indo-European thanks!

Received and looking forward to diving in.  Thanks again!
All the stuff is interesting and worth a listen. A handful of my faves include . . .

- Live version of Holy Joe (in Rare Performances on Disc 2)
A B side from 1997's Pop album, this was the only time this song was ever performed live. And they chose to perform it in the Lingerie Department in a K-mart in NYC. On top of that, that was the only song they played that day. Not sure why the song wasn't deemed worthy to be included on the album, as it is better than most songs on the Pop album.

- Live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday (in Rattle & Hum Live Tracks on Disc 1)
Bono introduces the song after discussing a recent bombing in Ireland. The band plays angry and edgy (pardon the pun).

- Live version of Exit (in Rattle & Hum Live Tracks on Disc 1)
Not exactly the best known track from Joshua Tree, but the live version is much more rocking than the album version.

- Live version of Rockin' In The Free World (in Rare Performances on Disc 2)
If you ever wondered what would happen if U2 and Pearl Jam combined resources to play Neil Young, wonder no more. Seven and a half minutes with back and forth guitar solos.

- Live version of Running To Stand Still (from 1993 Sydney show on Disc 1)
Much different arrangement than the album version with interspersed electronic guitar riffs and added synthesizer.

- Studio version of Lady With The Spinning Head (from Rare Tracks on Disc 2)
A B Side recorded during the Achtung Baby sessions. Trippy, dancy, experimental, and an alternative vibe that fit in with music at the time. One of 65 studio tracks I included from the Achtung Baby recording sessions.

- Live version of Womanfish (from 1986 TV show performance on Disc 1)
Only time they every played it. Nevern recorded in the studio. Decent guitar work and drumming. Wished they added it to an album somewhere along the way.

- GoldenEye Demo (from Rare Tracks on Disc 2)
For the James Bond fanatic. U2 wrote the theme song for the movie for Tina Turner. Really weird hearing Bono singing this song.

Got mine, thanks! Looking forward to diving in in the next few days! 

Users who are viewing this thread