What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade your team's draft from 2014 (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
The return of my annual thread.

Did this last five years. 

Link to the grades from the 2013 draft. Seattle grade = C-
Link to the grades from the 2012 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2011 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2010 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2009 draft. Seattle grade = F

Journalists keep saying they're forced to give grades. They know it's a stupid activity. They routinely admit it and proceed to throw down the grades anyway. Let's choose to be better. After investing the time for only a few years it changes one's perspective. Realizing what actually constitutes a respectable draft. It doesn't take much. Most years you're looking at getting a starter or two if you're lucky. The vast majority of players drafted don't make it onto the field.  If you go back and look through the Seahawks 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts you'll see why they played in back to back Super Bowls. They crushed those years and got somewhat lucky. Pro-bowl starters outside the first two rounds? They had a bunch in Sherman, Wright, Chancellor, Baldwin, and Wilson on a rookie contract. Geesh. 

If you wish to participate please include the following:
1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com
2. Players still with team
3. Starters
4. Potential future starters
5. Pro-bowls
6. Positives
7. Negatives
8. Grade

Seattle Seahawks 2014 draft

2 13 Paul Richardson WR Colorado

2 32 Justin Britt T Missouri

4 8 Cassius Marsh DE UCLA

4 23 Kevin Norwood WR Alabama

4 32 Kevin Pierre-Louis LB Boston College

5 32 Jimmy Staten DT Middle Tennessee State

6 23 Garrett Scott T Marshall

6 32 Eric Pinkins DB San Diego State

7 12 Kiero Small RB Arkansas

Players still with team: 1
Starters: 2
Potential future starters: 0
Pro-bowls: 0

Positives: Britt bounced around from tackle to guard to center before finding a home at center. He's played well enough to be counted on as a building block and received a second contract. Richardson has made some ridiculous highlight reel catches and earned a second contract with another team. Injuries burned the start of his career. If they could have afforded it he would still be a Seahawk. Norwood was a waste. Both Marsh and KPL were great on special teams. Marsh will keep a roster spot around the NFL and continue to be a swing DE. KPL just earned a second contract with KC. After doing this for several years I recognize this draft as average as average can be. Part of the problem with the Seahawks at this time was they had a crazy deep roster and were headed into their second super bowl. Tough for young guys to make noise on a team like that. 

Negatives: Meh. Richardson's injuries sucked. Britt took forever to find a home. I think part of that can be blamed on Tom Cable. Complete whiffs in the late rounds, but that's to be expected. 

Grade: C **

** Added notes: This draft began the adventure of trading down on an annual basis. Seattle traded down twice out of the first round before taking Richardson. I can't remember who they got in return for the missing 3rd rounder. 

Denver Broncos 2014 draft

1 31 Bradley Roby CB

2 56 Cody Latimer WR

3 Michael Schofield OL

5 Lamin Barrow LB

6 Matt Paradis C

7 Corey Nelson LB

Players still with team: 2

Starters: 2

Potential Future Starters: 0

Positives: Roby has been a key player since being drafted as a contributor to the No Fly Zone.  He finally cracks the strating line-up after trading Talib, although it remains to be seen if he can play at the same level.  Paradis has started every game since 2015, I don't think he has even missed a snap.  For PFF fans, he consistently grades really well - like one of the top C's in the game.  For a 7th round pick, Nelson made the roster for 4 years and signed as a FA with the Eagles.  not sure what else you can ask for.

Negatives: Latimer never blossomed into a threat as a WR, although he did grow into a good ST player.  Still, that's not what you are looking for from a 2nd rounder.  Schofield never developed in Denver, but he was able to notch some starts in SD.  Barrow washed out and was never worth much.

Overall, if the team can get four players out of a draft to make the team for four years (roby, Paradis, Latimer, Nelson), it couldn't have been THAT bad. 

Grade: C

2009 Broncos: F <- probably the worst draft in Broncos history.

2010 Broncos: no grade.  Tough to evaluate though: DT and Decker, but also Tebow.

2011 Broncos: not graded, but I would have given this an A+. 

2012 Broncos: A+

2013 Broncos: B- (although I would have had it at C- at best)

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit Lions 2014 Draft Grade: A-

1st round:Eric Ebron TE. I know most people wish the Lions had taken Beckham or Aaron Donald here but those guys are really expensive. The Lions were able to save a ton of money by taking Ebron instead.

2nd round: Kyle Van Noy LB. Starting line backer on a Super Bowl team. Nuff said. 

3rd round: Travis Swanson C. It was such a good pick taking a center from Arkansas that 4 years later the Lions did it again. 

4th round: Nevin Lawson CB. He is still on the team. 

4th round: Larry Webster DE. He played football. 

6th round: TJ Jones WR. He is probably the 3rd best wide receiver with the last name Jones in the NFL now that James Jones is retied. 

7th round: Nate Freese K. Most people think drafting a kicker is a mistake but Freese hasn't missed kick since the Lions cut him after week 3 of the 2014 season. 

Overall: I rarely hand out As because perfect drafts are so rare- that is why it's just an A minus here. They probably could have done better then getting a starting corner in the 4th round and I just wonder jf most of TJ Jones success has been because he has the same name as Marvin and sometimes the coaches confuse them. Other than those small gripes, it's hard to find fault here. 

Chargers:

• 1.25 (25) - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
  • 2.18 (50) - Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech
  • 3.25 (89) - Chris Watt, C/G, Notre Dame
  • 5.25 (165) - Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State
  • 6.25 (201) - Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State
  • 7.25 (240) - Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
Players still with team: 1 (for now... Verrett should be released if he passes his physical)
Starters: 0
Potential future starters: 0

Positives:

• None.
Negatives:

• It was known that Verrett was a risk to be unable to stay healthy due to his size and injury history. Telesco gambled on him and lost, given he has only played 25 of a possible 64 games in his career to date and hasn’t actually played well on the field since 2015. Then Telesco stupidly doubled down and picked up his 5th year option. Hopefully, he will pass his physical, enabling the team to release him and avoid paying him $8.5M to play minimal snaps behind Hayward, Williams, and King. 
  • Traded up in the second round to draft Attaochu, giving up their fourth round pick in the process. Attaochu had one solid season in 2015, then barely played in 2016 and 2017 before leaving as a UFA this offseason.
  • It was hoped that Watt would slot in as a starter in the interior OL, but he was a bust.
  • No late round gems.
Grade: F. This is about as bad as a draft can be. Fortunately for Telesco, he improved in subsequent drafts, or he would probably no longer be with the team.

This was Telesco's second draft. In 2013, I graded his draft as a D.

Eagles.  Not much time, but it's a D at best, I think.  @modogg @Insein @Deamon

1 26  Marcus Smith DE Louisville

2 10 Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

3 22 Josh Huff WR Oregon

4 11 Jaylen Watkins DB Florida

5 11Taylor Hart DE Oregon

5 22 Ed Reynolds DB Stanford

7 9  Beau Allen DT Wisconsin

Steelers:

1 15 - Ryan Shazier  Linebacker Ohio State

2 46 - Stephon Tuitt Defensive end Notre Dame

3 97 - Dri Archer Running back Kent State

4 118 - Martavis Bryant Wide Receiver Clemson

5 157 - Shaquille Richardson Cornerback Arizona

5 173 - Wesley Johnson Offensive Tackle Vanderbilt

6 192 - Jordan Zumwalt Linebacker UCLA

7 215 - Daniel McCullers Defensive Tackle Tennessee

7 230 - Rob Blanchflower Tight End Massachusetts

Players still with team: 3 (Shazier, Tuitt, McCullers)

Shazier is awesome but we're just hoping he can walk again. Obviously, without the injury, this class would look a lot better. Tuitt's turned out to be very solid, and earned himself a pretty lengthy extension. Bryant coulda woulda shoulda but he has knucklehead tendencies and is with the Raiders now. McCullers hasn't done anything but remains with the team. The rest of these guys are selling cars or, even worse, playing for the Lions. I'd give them a C+ but can be talked into a B- 

There's no way they could have predicted Shazier's injury, and he was playing like a first rounder. They nailed that pick. Tuitt's been all you can hope for from a space-filler in the second round. Bryant has flashes of greatness but he's one stupid decision away from being out of the league and was handily beat out by JuJu, anyway. Dri Archer has amazing YouTube highlights. The rest of these picks were garbage. I'm not even convinced Rob Blanchflower is a real person. I don't remember him at all. What kind of name is Blanchflower? It sounds like a really crappy local Matchbox 20 cover band. "Hey guys, thanks for coming out to Dave's tonight. And now, give a big welcome to Blanchflower!"

3 22 Josh Huff WR Oregon

I guess I would give Smith an F-

Matthews like a B-

Huff an F

Watkins a D+

Hart a D

Reynolds a D-

Allen a B+

I guess I would give Smith an F-

Matthews like a B-

Huff an F

Watkins a D+

Hart a D

Reynolds a D-

Allen a B+
:lol:  Ah, yes, the first "Chip buys the groceries" draft.

I remember seeing World War Z in the theater right around then and thinking it was terrible, then deciding to catch it again last year on Netflix or wherever thinking my memories of a few years ago must have been tainted - it couldn't be that bad. Nope. It was even worse than I remembered it.

This draft was a football World War Z.

1st round:Eric Ebron TE. I know most people wish the Lions had taken Beckham or Aaron Donald here but those guys are really expensive. The Lions were able to save a ton of money by taking Ebron instead.

2nd round: Kyle Van Noy LB. Starting line backer on a Super Bowl team. Nuff said. 

3rd round: Travis Swanson C. It was such a good pick taking a center from Arkansas that 4 years later the Lions did it again. 

6th round: TJ Jones WR. He is probably the 3rd best wide receiver with the last name Jones in the NFL now that James Jones is retied. 

7th round: Nate Freese K. Most people think drafting a kicker is a mistake but Freese hasn't missed kick since the Lions cut him after week 3 of the 2014 season. 

Overall: I rarely hand out As because perfect drafts are so rare- that is why it's just an A minus here. They probably could have done better then getting a starting corner in the 4th round and I just wonder jf most of TJ Jones success has been because he has the same name as Marvin and sometimes the coaches confuse them. Other than those small gripes, it's hard to find fault here. 
A-? :lmao:

Chicago Bears 2014

Round 1:

14. Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller

Round 2:

51. LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson

Round 3:

82. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton

Round 4:

117. Arizona running back Ka'deem Carey

131. Minnesota Safety Brock Vereen

Round 5:

(None, traded to Broncos.)

Round 6:

183. San Jose State quarterback David Fales

191. Miami punter Pat O'Donnell

Round 7:

246. BSU offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr

This is a tough one. I would've once destroyed draft. One of worst ever. Now, 4 years later, we have our best CB and a very good LT as solidified starters.  The rest of the picks are beyond laughable. But hey, getting a very solid CB and LT from the same draft who were both extended is a pretty damn good draft I guess.  Grade: B

Long Ball Larry said:

3 22 Josh Huff WR Oregon

The best player out of them was the 7th round pick. The only one left on the team is Taylor Hart. What a terrible draft.

List of drafted players

3 22 Josh Huff WR Oregon

5 11 Taylor Hart DE Oregon

Players still with team

1 (Hart)

Starters

0 (Matthews was basically a starter before being traded.  Allen was pretty close to being a starter at times this past year.)

Potential future starters

Pro Bowls

Positives

Beau Allen was a solid contributor at DT until leaving as a FA this offseason.  He is a starter-caliber player, but was too expensive at a position where they already have so much depth.  Jordan Matthews was a serviceable WR until they traded him as part of a package for Ronald Darby.  

Negatives

Someone with a better knowledge of the old days could argue, but Smith might literally be the worst first-round draft choice in team history.  (I guess Kevin Allen could trump him.)  Huff showed flashes occasionally in the beginning was terribly inconsistent and generally not particularly smart and was cut in his 3rd season after speeding and being caught speeding with pot, a gun and hollow-point bullets.  Ed Reynolds occasionally contributed on special teams, but was largely plagued by injuries.  Hart and Watkins both got cut after a year or 2, though later re-signed with the team as basically last stringers.  Watkins provided a minor contribution in nickel and dime packages this past year, before leaving in FA.  Hart has been a project for the past year or 2, as the team tries to convert him to an OT.

Grade

Probably have to drop this to a D-. There is no piece of this draft that is in any way shape or form a part of the team's future, though it did provide minor contributions over the past few years.

1 11 Taylor LewanTMichigan

222254 Bishop Sankey RBWashington

3412112 DaQuan Jones DTPenn State

4422122Marqueston Huff DBWyoming

5511151Avery Williamson LBKentucky

662178Zach Mettenberger QB

Lewan is a stud. Williamson played a role, Jones a consistent starter.

That's probably an A-, maybe a B+

Hankmoody said:
Raider fans have been waiting for this thread for 4 years.

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Too bad Dowling never panned out. 

Round 1 - Mo Hurst

Round 2 - Martavis Bryant

Round 3 - Arden Key

Round 3 - Kolton Miller

Round 4 - Nick Nelson

Round 5 - P.J. Hall

Round 5 - Brandon Parker

Round 6 - Azeem Victor

Round 7 - Marcell Ateman

Round 7 - Johnny Townsend

round 7- Ryan Switzer

The picks alone are worth a grade B

the risk / reward could end up being an A + 

Minnesota Vikings 2014
No. Round Pick Player Name Position College
1 1 9 9 Anthony Barr LB UCLA
2 1 32 32 Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
3 3 8 72 Scott Crichton DE Oregon State
4 3 32 96 Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern
5 5 5 145 David Yankey G Stanford
6 6 6 182 Antone Exum DB Virginia Tech
7 6 8 184 Kendall James DB Maine
8 7 5 220 Shamar Stephen DT Connecticut
9 7 8 223 Brandon Watts LB Georgia Tech
10 7 10 225 Jabari Price DB North Carolina

1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/vikings
2. Players still with team: 1 (Barr)
3. Starters: 3 (Barr, Bridgewater, McKinnon)
4. Potential future starters: 3
5. Pro-bowls: 4 (Barr - 3, Bridgewater - 1)
6. Positives: One regular starter and multi year pro bowler. Two high end backups/semi regular starters
7. Negatives: None of the late picks panned out. Most are out of the league
8. Grade: B+

Round 1 - Mo Hurst

Round 2 - Martavis Bryant

Round 3 - Arden Key

Round 3 - Kolton Miller

Round 4 - Nick Nelson

Round 5 - P.J. Hall

Round 5 - Brandon Parker

Round 6 - Azeem Victor

Round 7 - Marcell Ateman

Round 7 - Johnny Townsend

round 7- Ryan Switzer

The picks alone are worth a grade B

the risk / reward could end up being an A + 
Which makes this post worse?

1. Your defeated the purpose of the actual thread by attempting to do something lame like put a grade on THIS YEAR'S draft. 

2. You have no idea that this is the thread where we grade your team's draft from 2014. 

Which makes this post worse?

1. Your defeated the purpose of the actual thread by attempting to do something lame like put a grade on THIS YEAR'S draft. 

2. You have no idea that this is the thread where we grade your team's draft from 2014. 
correct on all points...my bad ...ill exit stage left

1.4 Sammy Watkins WR

2.44 Cyrus Kouandjio OT

3.73 Preston Brown LB

4.109 Ross Cockrell CB

5.153 Cyril Richardson G

7.221 Randell Johnson LB

7.237 Seantrel Henderson OT

Players still with team

Starters
2 (Watkins/Brown)

Potential future starters
1 (Cockrell)

Brown was a great linebacker, even though he's moved on to the Bengals. He didn't play FA correctly at all. Watkins remains more potential than production, but is still slotted in a WR#1 role. Cockrell was cut by the Bills after one year, gave the Steelers a couple good years and should be nickel/#2 corner for the Panthers this year.

Rest of the draft was poor. Kouandjio gave the Bills 25 games over 3 years. Richardson only played one year and Johnson three. Henderson started 26 games over his first two years, not terrible for a seventh round guy, but only had one more over the next two years and has moved on to Houston.

Not terrible, three current impact players and two more still kicking around the league. That being said, none are still on the Bills and none are a high ranked starter, nary a Pro Bowl amongst them.

Grade: B-

Hooper31 said:
1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com

1.8 Justin Gilbert DB Oklahoma State

1.22  Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M

Joel Bitonio G Nevada

Christian Kirksey LB Iowa

Terrance West RB Towson

Pierre Desir DB Lindenwood

2. Players still with team  Bitonio, Kirksey

3. Starters  same

4. Potential future starters

5. Pro-bowls  I don't think so.

6. Positives  Two solid starters

7. Negatives:  Manziel & Gilbert, neither of whom had NFL heads and whose skills were always suspect.

8. Grade.  I came into this thread to bemoan our draft & post a solid F, but it just isn't so.  Still, blowing the first 2 picks so drastically overshadows everything else.

.................  C............
Maybe C is too good.

2014 Jaguars

Bortles

Marqise Lee

Allen Robinson

Linder 

Colvin

Telvin

Chris Smith

Bowanko

Grade A - possibly second best draft in franchise history. Despite Bortles being overdrafted and having serious weaknesses, this draft has impressive depth.

Even after letting ARob and Colvin walk for lucrative contracts, they still have their starting QB, a starting WR, a versatile starting interior lineman, a Pro Bowl LB and a couple of depth guys. 

Ilov80s said:

Everyone else should just like this post instead of evaluating your team's draft. This thread has already been won. 

Baltimore Ravens

Code:
1	17	17	C.J. Mosley	LB	Alabama
2	16	48	Timmy Jernigan	DT	Florida State
3	15	79	Terrence Brooks	DB	Florida State
3	35	99	Crockett Gillmore	TE	Colorado State
4	34	134	Brent Urban	DT	Virginia
4	38	138	Lorenzo Taliaferro	RB	Coastal Carolina
5	35	175	John Urschel	G	Penn State
6	18	194	Keith Wenning	QB	Ball State
7	3	218	Mike Campanaro	WR	Wake Forest
2. Players still with team - 2 (CJ Mosley & Brent Urban)

3. Starters - 2, when Urban isn't injured (3 if you count the fact that Jernigan starts in Philly)

4. Potential future starters - 0

5. Pro-bowls - 3 (all by Mosley)

6. Positives

• CJ Mosley is one of the better LBs in the league, although his performance in 2017 below that of previous years
  • Zach Orr was a pretty good UDFA (until a previously unknown neck condition caused him to retire)
  • James Hurst was an UDFA who earned a 2nd contract after decent play at LG last year
7. Negatives

• Timmy Jernigan was a poor fit in the defensive scheme, and was traded away for an ~8 place upgrade in the 3rd round after his 3rd season
  • Terrence Brooks was a flat out bust, and Crockett Gillmore, Brent Urban and Michael Campanaro were all significantly affected by injuries during their time on the team
  • John Urschel looked good during his short run of starts in his 2nd year, then regressed in his 3rd before retiring just before training camp in 2017
  • Keith Wenning never made it off the practice squad 
8. Grade - I'd be hard pressed to give it more than a C- as just one productive player from an entire draft class is below par, even if that one player is in the top 5-10 at his position

Baltimore Ravens 

8. Grade - I'd be hard pressed to give it more than a C- as just one productive player from an entire draft class is below par, even if that one player is in the top 5-10 at his position
Jernigan has been disappointing but I think if you get a top 5 type player from the draft you get at least a B. If the position matters, which LB clearly does.

1 11 Taylor LewanTMichigan

222254 Bishop Sankey RBWashington

3412112 DaQuan Jones DTPenn State

4422122Marqueston Huff DBWyoming

5511151Avery Williamson LBKentucky

662178Zach Mettenberger QB

Lewan is a stud. Williamson played a role, Jones a consistent starter.

That's probably an A-, maybe a B+
Sankey, though. Ugh

Remember Brewtown? :lol:  

id say its pretty clear the  2014 draft  was an off the charts success 

Mack

carr 

ellis 

jackson

HUGE A 
Honestly one of the better drafts I remember the Raiders having over the last many years.

TJ Carrie, who we got in the 7th, hasn't been stellar but certainly serviceable depth, especially in nickel. He plays feast/famine sometimes but is certainly better than DJ Hayden in every way. A middling player who at least contributes.

The duds were Keith McGill in the 4th who despite had the measurables and big body we needed in the position, never panned out for us and was outplayed by a guy like Brynden Traywick. But seeing what other corners/safeties went in the 4th that year, we didn't miss out on anything (though you wonder what might have been had we drafted Martavis Bryant or James White instead).

Another whiff was Shelby Harris, a flier for us at a DL lineman who never panned out and is more of a depth/practice squad guy. Dowling was another project with character concerns like Harris, and also was a dud, not having played in the last two years.

Carolina Panthers

1.28 - Kelvin Benjamin - Solid rookie season but never turned into an elite WR.  Since the day he was drafted, the Panthers were significantly better in games he DIDN'T play than the ones he did.  He tore his ACL in the 15-1 season and Newton became a better quarterback for it, winning the MVP.  Traded for a 3rd rounder that was used this year.

2.60 - Kony Ealy - Showing up in the big game wasn't a problem, as he had the best game of his career in the Super Bowl and potentially could have won MVP if the Panthers had won the game.  He was traded to New England to move up a couple spots in the draft and hasn't really been missed.  Dud.

3.92 - Trai Turner - The savior of this draft.  He's been a perennial Pro-Bowler and one of the key pieces of the defense.  A fantastic third round pick.

4.128 - Tre Boston - He had about a season and a half as a starter who performed decently well in 2015.  He was waived last offseason. 

5.148 - Bene Benwikere - He was cut the game after Julio Jones put up 300 yards against the Panthers in 2016.  At the time I didn't agree with cutting him because he played pretty well as a nickel CB in the Panthers system but struggled when moved outside.  Apparently there were some conditioning issues and more that went into the decision that just a bad game or bad results from moving outside.  He's bounced around the league since he was cut and hasn't made an impact anywhere else.

6.204 - Tyler Gaffney - Never played a down in Carolina.  He was injured before his rookie year and Carolina waived/injured him to place him IR.  New England broke a somewhat unspoken rule among NFL teams and claimed him.  Dave Gettleman likely learned a valuable lesson, even though Gaffney never really did anything with New England of value...though he did manage to win two Super Bowls.

Overall, I'll give it a C, almost solely because Trai Turner was a fantastic third round pick.  Kelvin Benjamin and Tre Boston had flashes, but overall it was a lackluster draft.

TLEF316 said:
So yeah, the Jets get a very large F
12 draft picks - 1 player still with the team.....that is just awful and explains why the GM was fired after 2 seasons and Jets have yet to recover

2014 New York Jets draft
Round    Pick    Player    Position    College    Notes
1    18    Calvin Pryor     S    Louisville    
2    49    Jace Amaro     TE    Texas Tech    
3    80    Dexter McDougle     CB    Maryland    
4    104    Jalen Saunders     WR    Oklahoma    Pick from TB
4    115    Shaquelle Evans     WR    UCLA    
4    137    Dakota Dozier     OT    Furman    Compensatory
5    154    Jeremiah George     LB    Iowa St    
6    195    Brandon Dixon     CB    Northwest Missouri St    
6    209    Quincy Enunwa     WR    Nebraska    Compensatory
6    210    Ikemefuna Enemkpali     DE    Louisiana Tech    Compensatory