What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Consensus Mock Draft Pick 1.13 - Redskins (1 Viewer)

What's the pick?

• Derwin James

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Denzel Ward

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Da'Ron Payne

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Calvin Ridley

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Mike Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marcus Davenport

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Darius Guice

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • DJ Moore

• Harlod Landry

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Maurice Hurst

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Josh Jackson

• Leighton Vander Esch

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Chip Lohmiller

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Sebowski

Footballguy
Bills take a QB in Lamar Jackson. My Skins up next. 

1.1 Browns take Sam Darnold (66% of the votes / 33 votes)

1.2 Giants take Josh Rosen (62.69% of the votes / 42 votes)

1.3 Jets take Josh Allen (52% of the votes / 23 votes)

1.4 Browns take Saqoun Barkley (50.7% of the votes / 36 votes to 30 for Chubb)

1.5 Broncos take Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

1.6 Colts take Bradley Chubb (71.88%/ 23 Votes)

1.7 Bucs take Minkah Fitzpatrick (35% of the vote with 16 votes to Nelson's 13)

1.8 Bears take Quentin Nelson (77% of the vote / 20 votes)

1.9 49ers take Tremaine Edmunds (32% of the vote /  17 votes to 10 for Roquan Smith and 9 for Derwin James)

1.10: Raiders take Roquan Smith (52% of the vote / 25 votes)

1.11 Dolphins take Vita Via (40% of the vote / 17 votes)

1.12 Bills take Lamar Jackson (36% of the vote / 13 votes)

1.13 Redskins up!

James sems to be the BPA and is also a need. Safety has been a mess in Washington for a long time now. They have been trying to address it though and might be adequate there now. Where they aren't adequate right now is stopping the run and running the ball. They were terrible at both last season. Payne would be tempting to pair with his college teammates and last year's top picks, Jonathan Allen and Ryan Andersen. If Vea was here I think that's the pick. Not sure Payne is good enough to pass on James here to chase a bigger need. Guice would be a great addition, but we have seen RBs turn in to luxury players, and the Redskins can't afford a luxury this high in the first round. Losing their 3rd round pick in the Alex Smith trade shrinks their window to nab a starting RB in the draft, so I believe Guice is enough in play to list. Speaking of the Alex Smith trade, they also lost a starting CB in that deal (Fuller), and they let Breeland walk as well. Suddenly a position of strength and depth as become a weakness (classic Redskins :bag:   ). This puts CB in play and Ward isn't a completely unrealistic option. 

For me though this is either Payne or James. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For me though this is either Payne or James. 
I'm generally not a proponent of drafting S this high but I agree with you that he's likely the safest of the group available. If anyone reading this hasn't listened to "Move the Sticks" podcast #279 3/22/18 I think they did a very good job focusing on James. 

If it were me picking for WAS at this spot I would likely take Ward. It's just so much easier/cheaper finding starting S's in FA than it is finding starting CB's. For that matter Reid, Boston, and Vaccaro are still floating around in FA so you know they won't break the bank. The fact Ward is a speed compliment to the physical Josh Norman(will turn 31yo this season) on the other side is a bonus. I've read they are high on Dunbar but he seems more like a nickel/dime guy from what I've seen. He only had 20+ snaps in 6/16 games played last season so I'm not convinced he's ready to be an every down player. Scandrick is 31yo with a checkered injury history and not much more than a stop-gap(but a wise signing because you never want to go into a draft DESPERATE for a position).

I will admit though that this draft seems pretty strong at CB though and if you were planning on using your 2nd rounder on a CB then taking James here makes sense. The problem with that is they lost their 3rd round pick in the Alex Smith trade and have made a lot of noise about adding a substantial piece to their RB's. I don't know if waiting until day 3 of the draft adds any more than a rotational back and it sounds like they plan on adding something more. This is why I don't understand why teams like WAS wouldn't have been more interested in a Rex Burkhead/Crowell/Hyde type back for ~$4-6mil/season. Some positions like RB's and S's are so inexpensive in FA every year it seems like a mistake to burn high draft capital on them.

Payne is possible and they do desperately need interior run stopping but I just have a tough time spending a first rounder for run defense in a pass happy league. Plus, there may be some interior DL diamonds in the rough available on day 3: Settle(not likely but possible), Nnadi, Shepherd, Fatukasi, Hill, and Senat among them.

Great analysis on your part Sebowski. 

I haven't voted yet.

My initial thought is that James, Ward or Jackson might be the BPA here and does fill a need for Washinton.

However I think Washinton needs defensive line help, and preferably outside pass rush from a player who is also solid against the run.  Vander Esch or Landry might meet a greater need for the team than a defensive back would.

I am just not sure if those players are good enough to justify the pick here or to be drafted ahead of the defensive backs, even though it may be a somewhat greater need.

The other option would be Payne or Hurst. Add one of them to Allen and the defensive line would be pretty good on the inside, and maybe are better players? I am not sure about that.

Maybe some comments from Washington fans can give me some better insight into their decision. I will vote later after some feedback about this.

I don't think Washinton should be looking at the offensive side of the ball with this pick, although they do have needs on that side of the ball as well.

CB would surprise me a bit. I think they are good 3 deep there with Norman, Scandrick and Dunbar. If they were to go CB, I think Josh Jackson would make more sense than Ward, do his superior size and playmaking ability.

I've seen a few mocks with Guice here, but that feels like a reach to me. I think the Redskins are a sneaky wildcard team this year, but even so, they aren't really in a spot where they can take a RB in round 1, though I think its possible they add a guy at some point in the draft. 

Derwin James could go as high as #4 and it wouldn't be a reach. I like Swearinger, but he is about all they have there, Everett or maybe Nicholson is likely the other starter right now right? James is certainly in play.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Payne is a very borderline 1st round pick. His pass rush skills leave something to be desired and he has a tendency to quit on plays if he gets stopped initially. I think its crazy if he goes ahead of Hurst who is better at everything a DL is supposed to do, he's just 20 pounds lighter. 

Ultimately I agree with Sebowki just with Hurst instead of Payne. Its Hurst/James for me. I voted Hurst, but its very 51-49. I value interior lineman over safeties in general, and Allen/Hurst would be frightening on the interior.

Biabreakable said:
I haven't voted yet.

My initial thought is that James, Ward or Jackson might be the BPA here and does fill a need for Washinton.

However I think Washinton needs defensive line help, and preferably outside pass rush from a player who is also solid against the run.  Vander Esch or Landry might meet a greater need for the team than a defensive back would.

I am just not sure if those players are good enough to justify the pick here or to be drafted ahead of the defensive backs, even though it may be a somewhat greater need.

The other option would be Payne or Hurst. Add one of them to Allen and the defensive line would be pretty good on the inside, and maybe are better players? I am not sure about that.

Maybe some comments from Washington fans can give me some better insight into their decision. I will vote later after some feedback about this.

I don't think Washinton should be looking at the offensive side of the ball with this pick, although they do have needs on that side of the ball as well.
I don't see outside rush as a need. Of course there can never be enough of that, but they are as set at that skill as any on the roster. Kerrigan is a stalwart. Preston Smith has been on an upward trajectory since joining the league. In fact one beat reader I follow, Rich Tandler, has him penciled it to the franchise tag next season if an extension isn't reached. He used this as support: "  Since Smith came into the NFL, he is the only player with at least 20 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 4 forced fumbles. " Yeah, those stats are a bit cherry picked, but the point is made. They also signed Pernell McPhee from the Bears this offseason for depth and are hoping 2nd year Ryan Anderson steps up as well. 

This is all really starting to make me disappointed in the Alex Smith trade. They basically lost 2 starters in that deal. CB Kendall Fuller and a 3rd pick that would give them flexibility with these other picks. All for a QB that was on the outs no matter what. Andy Reid pillages the Redskins once again. But I digress.... 

I don't see outside rush as a need. Of course there can never be enough of that, but they are as set at that skill as any on the roster. Kerrigan is a stalwart. Preston Smith has been on an upward trajectory since joining the league. In fact one beat reader I follow, Rich Tandler, has him penciled it to the franchise tag next season if an extension isn't reached. He used this as support: "  Since Smith came into the NFL, he is the only player with at least 20 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 4 forced fumbles. " Yeah, those stats are a bit cherry picked, but the point is made. They also signed Pernell McPhee from the Bears this offseason for depth and are hoping 2nd year Ryan Anderson steps up as well. 

This is all really starting to make me disappointed in the Alex Smith trade. They basically lost 2 starters in that deal. CB Kendall Fuller and a 3rd pick that would give them flexibility with these other picks. All for a QB that was on the outs no matter what. Andy Reid pillages the Redskins once again. But I digress.... 
Okay.

So Hurst? Or a defensive back?

Okay.

So Hurst? Or a defensive back?
Hurst is a bigger need, but James is BPA. So I guess it depends on how close you rate those 2 on your big board balanced with how you feel about BPA vs Need. I went James.   I think he can be a all-pro player. I think you take those when you can. But I'm also a FSU alum...

Hurst is a bigger need, but James is BPA. So I guess it depends on how close you rate those 2 on your big board balanced with how you feel about BPA vs Need. I went James.   I think he can be a all-pro player. I think you take those when you can. But I'm also a FSU alum...
Works for me.

I am not sure how Hurst would fit into the primarily 3-4 defense, I don't think it suits him as well as under tackle in a 4-3

As a Bears fan, I can tell you McPhee was great for the Bears when he was healthy, he just wasn't healthy all that often. He was never coming back at his salary, but I was hoping he'd have restructured and stayed. He's a big pickup if he stays on the field. 

Do you think the Redskins would have been able to outbid the several other teams who brought in new QBs for Smith? Smith is as good or better than all of those guys. Losing Fuller sucks, but pillages feels strong when the prize is a quality starting QB.

Works for me.

I am not sure how Hurst would fit into the primarily 3-4 defense, I don't think it suits him as well as under tackle in a 4-3
There was some concern about Aaron Donald moving to 3-4 end last year too. Its not apples to apples, but they do have very similar styles. 

As a Bears fan, I can tell you McPhee was great for the Bears when he was healthy, he just wasn't healthy all that often. He was never coming back at his salary, but I was hoping he'd have restructured and stayed. He's a big pickup if he stays on the field. 

Do you think the Redskins would have been able to outbid the several other teams who brought in new QBs for Smith? Smith is as good or better than all of those guys. Losing Fuller sucks, but pillages feels strong when the prize is a quality starting QB.

There was some concern about Aaron Donald moving to 3-4 end last year too. Its not apples to apples, but they do have very similar styles. 
Yeah I am sure they could make it work or even change the front to the personnel. In the 3-4 he would bookend Johnathan Allen who is similar type of player. That could be very good. 

Ultimately I think they take a linebacker (thinking Roquan Smith), however from these list of players...

Voting Derwin James. 

As other have said, it's a tough call between James or addressing the DL. I went with Hurt because I think it's a bigger need and if you put any stock in PFF grading, they have Hurt as the #3 prospect. They said he's the highest rated interior defensive linemen in their 4 years of grading college play. 

As other have said, it's a tough call between James or addressing the DL. I went with Hurt because I think it's a bigger need and if you put any stock in PFF grading, they have Hurt as the #3 prospect. They said he's the highest rated interior defensive linemen in their 4 years of grading college play. 
Man, I love Hurst, but that is a bold statement even to me. 

It seems Derwin takes it here. If Tampa were to take Derwin over Minkah at 7, does Minkah make it to the Skins here at 13? If not, who takes him?

Users who are viewing this thread