What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official LA Rams 2018 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

dkp993

Footballguy
I'm a bit surprised with all their moves this offseason no thread was started (at least one I could find) so let's get one going.

With the additions of Peters, Talib, Suh and Cooks along with the resignings of some key players where do the Rams stand in the NFC rankings? Are they legit Super Bowl contenders now?

I'm a bit surprised with all their moves this offseason no thread was started (at least one I could find) so let's get one going.

With the additions of Peters, Talib, Suh and Cooks along with the resignings of some key players where do the Rams stand in the NFC rankings? Are they legit Super Bowl contenders now?
Heck yea they are Super Bowl contenders.

Seems like they are trying to go all in while they have this window of Goff, Gurley, and Donald all on cheap rookie deals.  I have to say as a fan of another team that plays it safe and always ends up mediocre, I am envious of the way yours is willing to go all in and try and get a ring when the time is right.

As a DC native, I lucked into the prediction that you all would love McVeay.  The players in WAS said he's a beast of a coach so I don't think it was that odd to think he would succeed despite his age.  WAS sorely misses him for scheme, and Cousins would have done a deal if McVeay was still here.

He's already turned the LA offense into something special, and Goff and Gurley into what they always had the potential to be.  The Brandin Cooks pickup will give Gurley even more room to work, and is a significantly better move than whoever they could have gotten in Round 1.  And now the GM has gotten nice talent for the defense.

Its amazing to me how much coaching matters in the NFL.  If they kept Fisher it would have been a 6-10 season and Goff/Gurley going backwards.  Bring in the right coach and presto, suddenly the whole organization is rightly looking at a Super Bowl rather than figuring out who to draft in the top 3.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 7m7 minutes ago

Rams are giving WR Brandin Cooks a five-year extension worth $80 million, tying him to LA for six years at $88 million, per source.

Every year there is a team that everyone just knows for a fact is going to take that next step. And they don't. Last few offseason it's been Raiders, Cowboys, Lions, Dolphins... Every year those not-so-cinderella teams always bust. It is like clockwork. Is that the Rams this year? Or maybe it's the 49ers instead. 

Also amusing to me that I know if the Redskins went out this offseason and got Talib, Suh, Peters, and Cooks everyone would be laughing at them for being the same old Redskins trying to buy a Super Bowl. Don't they know that never works? Lololol.

Hope I'm wrong though. On paper they look legit. I own both Gurley and Cooks, I desperately want them to make the Chargers more irrelevant, and I love McVay. Go Rams!

I jumped ship on Miami after being a lifelong fan. Just can't take anymore of the idiots ruining the roster. I do believe I will be rooting for the Rams this year.

Does anybody have a good feel for this offense? I'm noticing that Goff (QB15) isn't getting a ton of love in redraft or dynasty circles despite having a hell of a season on a per attempt basis (and at only 23 years of age) with 8 YPA and almost a 6% TD rate. Likewise Woods (WR36) and Kupp (WR34) are relatively cheap, too. The whole offense sat out week 17, but Kupp had 36/499/2 in his final 7 games. Woods was on pace for a 1000 yard season had he not missed some games. Everett is entering his second year and they just paid Cooks (WR21) a lot of money. As a team they were only 24th in passing attempts. Will these guys all hold each other back or will McVay open up the offense a bit in the second year and throw some more passes? Logically, it doesn't seem like there's a need with that defense and running game. 

FF Ninja said:
Does anybody have a good feel for this offense? I'm noticing that Goff (QB15) isn't getting a ton of love in redraft or dynasty circles despite having a hell of a season on a per attempt basis (and at only 23 years of age) with 8 YPA and almost a 6% TD rate. Likewise Woods (WR36) and Kupp (WR34) are relatively cheap, too. The whole offense sat out week 17, but Kupp had 36/499/2 in his final 7 games. Woods was on pace for a 1000 yard season had he not missed some games. Everett is entering his second year and they just paid Cooks (WR21) a lot of money. As a team they were only 24th in passing attempts. Will these guys all hold each other back or will McVay open up the offense a bit in the second year and throw some more passes? Logically, it doesn't seem like there's a need with that defense and running game. 
Obviously I pay close attention and the word is is that Goff has a much better grasp of the offense in his second year in the system so McVay has expanded the playbook.  Also with Cooks in early for a full offseason of work he and Goff have developed some good chemistry (something that never happened with Sammy).  I’m all in on Kupp and feel very good about him out performing his ADP pretty easily (guessing high RB2 range, low 20’s).  Cooks matches his numbers from last year   Woods stays flat or falls back slightly.

I feel like there is still some room to grow from last year and can see another super explosive year but truth be told I’m a bit nervous.  Now mind you that’s not due to anything I’m seeing or reading, it’s all due to being a life long Rams fan and I’ve become accustom to being let down.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I pay close attention and the word is is that Goff has a much better grasp of the offense in his second year in the system so McVay has expanded the playbook.  Also with Cooks in early for a full offseason of work he and Goff have developed some good chemistry (something that never happened with Sammy).  I’m all in on Kupp and feel very good about him out performing his ADP pretty easily (guessing high RB2 range, low 20’s).  Cooks matches his numbers from last year   Woods stays flat or falls back slightly.

I feel like there is still some room to grow from last year and can see another super explosive year but truth be told I’m a bit nervous.  Now mind you that’s not due to anything I’m seeing or reading, it’s all due to being a life long Rams fan and I’ve become accustom to being let down.  
Yeah, it would make sense for Goff to be better in year 2 than year 1 of an offense and I feel strongly that Cooks >> Watkins even though I'm not particularly high on Cooks for fantasy purposes (except best ball format). What makes you higher on Kupp than Woods? They are only a year apart in age and Woods seems more versatile. As I mentioned, my main cause for concern for everyone on this offense is pass attempts. Can you see any reason why they'd increase their passes outside of the defense unpredictably collapsing? I honestly think the run game could even survive a Gurley injury.

Man, I'm not even a Rams fan and I'm excited for you guys. I'll probably be a temporary Rams fan this year as I expect to have a lot of Goff shares in my leagues with some Woods/Kupp shares thrown in. Everett is a dirt cheap, so he'll probably find his way onto a lot of my teams as a $1 end of auction guy.

FF Ninja said:
Yeah, it would make sense for Goff to be better in year 2 than year 1 of an offense and I feel strongly that Cooks >> Watkins even though I'm not particularly high on Cooks for fantasy purposes (except best ball format). What makes you higher on Kupp than Woods? They are only a year apart in age and Woods seems more versatile. As I mentioned, my main cause for concern for everyone on this offense is pass attempts. Can you see any reason why they'd increase their passes outside of the defense unpredictably collapsing? I honestly think the run game could even survive a Gurley injury.

Man, I'm not even a Rams fan and I'm excited for you guys. I'll probably be a temporary Rams fan this year as I expect to have a lot of Goff shares in my leagues with some Woods/Kupp shares thrown in. Everett is a dirt cheap, so he'll probably find his way onto a lot of my teams as a $1 end of auction guy.
Answering your Kupp/Woods question..... Kupp is the 3rd down go to guy as well as the main red zone target (think he had like 22/23 last year).  I like Woods a lot and think he’s a very good number 2 (behind Cooks of course) but the chemistry Goff and Kupp have is clear and it’s obvious Kupp is the guy Goff trusts and leans on.

As far as the overall passing game....  Goff only attempted 477 passes, can see this above 500 pretty easily, and threw for 3800 and 28tds.  I don’t think 4000k and 30 is unreasonable by any stretch. Likely? Who knows, but certainly not unrealistic.  

NeverEnough said:
What does Everett look like in camp & pre-season? Will he be worth anything FF wise this year?
He’s looked good but the issue is so has Higbee.  I think it’s a coin flip honestly at this point.  I believe the coaching staff would really like Everett to take the lead (being the new regime’s first pick and all) but “baby Gronk” Higbee seems to want to have something to say about that.   

Answering your Kupp/Woods question..... Kupp is the 3rd down go to guy as well as the main red zone target (think he had like 22/23 last year).  I like Woods a lot and think he’s a very good number 2 (behind Cooks of course) but the chemistry Goff and Kupp have is clear and it’s obvious Kupp is the guy Goff trusts and leans on.

As far as the overall passing game....  Goff only attempted 477 passes, can see this above 500 pretty easily, and threw for 3800 and 28tds.  I don’t think 4000k and 30 is unreasonable by any stretch. Likely? Who knows, but certainly not unrealistic.  
Yeah, the team as a whole passed 515 times. If Goff plays all 16 games, he'll surpass 500 attempts. I'm just trying to figure out if 550 is in his future or not. This FBG article was kind of interesting from the perspective of seeing what people think of Goff and the Rams: https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-pick-a-player-goff-mahomes-roethlisberger
They almost all picked Ben despite his history of injuries and the fact Goff basically duplicated Ben's numbers while Ben threw 17% more passes. Weird that Chad Parsons cites that Goff is the benefactor of a strong system, says he trusts in McVay, and then somehow counts that as a negative for Goff. I don't know how much I believe the "system QB" narrative, but true or not, he's still in that system and likely will be for years to come... and it's a rare situation where you can almost be certain ALL his pieces will be there for at least 3 more years (Gurley, Cooks, Woods, Kupp, and Everett each have at least 3 years left on their contracts). My only concern would be the aging OL. Sullivan is 33 and Whitworth is about to turn 37. If it was my team I would've rather seen them sign someone like Albert Wilson as a FA WR and use their 1st to draft a LT than trade away that 1st just to give Cooks big money.

Yeah, the team as a whole passed 515 times. If Goff plays all 16 games, he'll surpass 500 attempts. I'm just trying to figure out if 550 is in his future or not. This FBG article was kind of interesting from the perspective of seeing what people think of Goff and the Rams: https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-pick-a-player-goff-mahomes-roethlisberger
They almost all picked Ben despite his history of injuries and the fact Goff basically duplicated Ben's numbers while Ben threw 17% more passes. Weird that Chad Parsons cites that Goff is the benefactor of a strong system, says he trusts in McVay, and then somehow counts that as a negative for Goff. I don't know how much I believe the "system QB" narrative, but true or not, he's still in that system and likely will be for years to come... and it's a rare situation where you can almost be certain ALL his pieces will be there for at least 3 more years (Gurley, Cooks, Woods, Kupp, and Everett each have at least 3 years left on their contracts). My only concern would be the aging OL. Sullivan is 33 and Whitworth is about to turn 37. If it was my team I would've rather seen them sign someone like Albert Wilson as a FA WR and use their 1st to draft a LT than trade away that 1st just to give Cooks big money.
Injuries and the O-line long term are far and away my biggest concerns 

Bump.

Any idea why this is? It seems at this point to only be a veteran/rookie thing because Kelly just looks like a better all around back. I'm grabbing Kelly as the handcuff for THIS year.
Agreed. It’s also likely due to Brown’s better pass pro too.  

Donald is about to sign his deal.

Time to wreck some QB's, #####es!!!!!!
For next two years, it's Super Bowl or Bust for Rams... Man, any QB who is going to face Donald, Suh, and terrifying CB duos (Talib / Peters) got to be wetting / sh*tting his pants by now.  

Any new thoughts regarding who ought to be the Gurley handcuff... Brown or Kelly?
As much as I'd like it to be Kelly, he's never even active on game day.
It's got to be Brown... right?

For this year it’s not even in question.  Brown is the clear handcuff.  If you asking for dynasty, Kelly enters the picture again.  

Users who are viewing this thread