What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood (1 Viewer)

I remember loving this show as a kid and I always try to encourage my girls to watch it over other garbage they watch. It’s calming, and nurturing, and warmth, and just goodness (and the jazz piano music is a plus). Not much like it out there. 

Put an episode on today for my 4 year old and she was riveted.  Absolutely entranced.  Love it. 

Interesting to note that Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.  After the war, Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life… He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.

Interesting to note that Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.  
False

”Despite recurring rumors, he never served in the military.[21][22][23]”

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to note that Mr. Rogers was a U.S. Navy Seal, combat-proven in Vietnam with over twenty-five confirmed kills to his name. He wore a long-sleeved sweater on TV, to cover the many tattoos on his forearm and biceps. He was a master in small arms and hand-to-hand combat, able to disarm or kill in a heartbeat.  After the war, Mr. Rogers became an ordained Presbyterian minister and therefore a pacifist. Vowing to never harm another human and also dedicating the rest of his life to trying to help lead children on the right path in life… He hid away the tattoos and his past life and won our hearts with his quiet wit and charm.
You could have hit the backspace bar, repeatedly.

Watched part of this on PBS last week. It is excellent.
There are two different Mister Rogers films now.

"It's You I Like" is a one hour PBS special that aired earlier this month

"Won't You Be My Neighbor" is a feature length documentary that will be released in early June.

There are two different Mister Rogers films now.

"It's You I Like" is a one hour PBS special that aired earlier this month

"Won't You Be My Neighbor" is a feature length documentary that will be released in early June.
You’re right my bad. A few of same clips in preview got me.

False.

He was special forces and his service record is fully classified at the highest level. He's been disavowed by the military because to acknowledge he existed would threaten national security. 

If some of his missions were revealed, allies would become enemies. Treaties would be invalidated. National borders would have to be redrawn. We'd risk a major international conflict on three sides if it went public. 

Mr. Rogers was one of the fiercest soldiers that ever lived. He could topple governments solo. He was one of the finest snipers in US military history... He was known to the communists only as  'breath of the night wind' and he was feared everywhere behind the Iron Curtain. It was said he could get a killshot at a range of a mile and a half, and cleanly escape his sniper's nest before the sound of the bullet made it to the corpse of the dictator he shot. 

He could hold his breath for over nine minutes during an amphibious assault while dragging a tow line in his teeth. He was lethal with any blade more than three quarters of an inch at a range of fourteen feet in hand-to-hand combat. He once liberated an entire village singlehandedly, against a warlord with 50 guerrilla soldiers. He once snuck behind enemy lines with only the cigar between his teeth, and torched an Afghani poppy field of such massive acreage that the entire opium economy collapsed for three years. 

Three of the characters in "Inglorious Basterds" were based on him, because they thought it was too unrealistic to say that just one man could do it all. That's the bloodthirsty killing machine everyone else sees as the kind old man in the cardigan sweater. When he turned his back on war and became a pacifist, some say it was because he was haunted by all he had done. Others say it was because he'd just run out of people to kill. 
Where did you get that?

One of the better decisions we have made as a family is cancelling cabel.  Only thing we have is ota, Netflix, and amazon.  We spend more time together as we don't channel surf and save lots of $$.  Most of what we do watch is on pbs which is why we donate every year to it.  I encourage everyone to do the same.

False.

He was special forces and his service record is fully classified at the highest level. He's been disavowed by the military because to acknowledge he existed would threaten national security. 

If some of his missions were revealed, allies would become enemies. Treaties would be invalidated. National borders would have to be redrawn. We'd risk a major international conflict on three sides if it went public. 

Mr. Rogers was one of the fiercest soldiers that ever lived. He could topple governments solo. He was one of the finest snipers in US military history... He was known to the communists only as  'breath of the night wind' and he was feared everywhere behind the Iron Curtain. It was said he could get a killshot at a range of a mile and a half, and cleanly escape his sniper's nest before the sound of the bullet made it to the corpse of the dictator he shot. 

He could hold his breath for over nine minutes during an amphibious assault while dragging a tow line in his teeth. He was lethal with any blade more than three quarters of an inch at a range of fourteen feet in hand-to-hand combat. He once liberated an entire village singlehandedly, against a warlord with 50 guerrilla soldiers. He once snuck behind enemy lines with only the cigar between his teeth, and torched an Afghani poppy field of such massive acreage that the entire opium economy collapsed for three years. 

Three of the characters in "Inglorious Basterds" were based on him, because they thought it was too unrealistic to say that just one man could do it all. That's the bloodthirsty killing machine everyone else sees as the kind old man in the cardigan sweater. When he turned his back on war and became a pacifist, some say it was because he was haunted by all he had done. Others say it was because he'd just run out of people to kill. 
This is incorrect. You are thinking of Don Knotts.

Wanted to link y'all to the Mister Rogers & Me film done on PBS a few years ago but, in light of the new furor, the filmmaker has pulled it down from public access to take sales advantage, i'm guessing. The way he connected with & touched people was truly extraordinary.

Met him 30some years ago. Me ma's baby brother & his wife were bigwigs in Pgh education and had him over regularly. I don't remember anything particularly special about the occasion - just that he was a sweet, winning guy - but every time i think back on it, i start to cry (i'm crying now). A truly holy presence, i guess.

Can't wait for The Rock to play him in the sequel.

False.

Move over, Chuck Norris.

We have tickets to see "Won't You Be My Neighbor" at the SF Int'l Film Festival on April 7.

More excited about this one than the next 007 movie.
We saw this yesterday and highly recommend it if Mr. Rogers means anything to you.  The filmmaker Morgan Neville and Francois "Officer "Clemons attended the screening and took questions afterwards. 

Neville won the best documentary Oscar a few years ago and knows how to structure a story.  When you think about it, Rogers is far from the perfect figure for a biography.  There's little conflict or personal transformation in the protagonist's life.  His real life and on-screen characters were similar; he never was a Navy SEAL.  Neville focused instead on the timeless (and hopefully timely) ideals of love and community that Rogers taught.  It's a understated movie as befits the man but very moving.  The old theater where it was shown got kind of dusty near the end :cry: .

We saw this yesterday and highly recommend it if Mr. Rogers means anything to you.  The filmmaker Morgan Neville and Francois "Officer "Clemons attended the screening and took questions afterwards. 

Neville won the best documentary Oscar a few years ago and knows how to structure a story.  When you think about it, Rogers is far from the perfect figure for a biography.  There's little conflict or personal transformation in the protagonist's life.  His real life and on-screen characters were similar; he never was a Navy SEAL.  Neville focused instead on the timeless (and hopefully timely) ideals of love and community that Rogers taught.  It's a understated movie as befits the man but very moving.  The old theater where it was shown got kind of dusty near the end :cry: .
Thanks for the report.  Cannot wait to see this.

Morgan Neville also directed the Netflix Keith Richards documentary that came out a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread