What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marquise Goodwin (1 Viewer)

This kid looked good last week and has another nice matchup against a beatable Houston D. Anyone have the courage to start him this week? 

This kid looked good last week and has another nice matchup against a beatable Houston D. Anyone have the courage to start him this week? 
Benjamin, Sanders, Schuster, Lee & Dede owner here who is considering him over Dede so that I don't have too many eggs in one basket with Lee already in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, he has been a pleasant surprise as a FA.  I thought he was kind of a one trick pony, a poor mans Torry Smith, but he can run all the routes. Had some dropped passes early in the season but seems to be fixing that. Maybe a concentration issue instead of bad hands.  

Looking forward to watching him the rest of the season with a competent QB. Has a decent chance to hit 1000 yards.  

Another nice day today, 6/106 and 14/205 last two weeks with Jimmy G at the helm. We might have something here, 8/8 in targets last week and 6/12 this week.

Goodwin looks like a quiet winner during this free agent period. At worst he's the #2 WR on the niners slated for 100+ targets. The arrow is pointing up. 

I know it's early and all that but reports seem to indicate Goodwin maybe should be ranked higher than Garcon

49ers’ Marquise Goodwin proving to be a tough cover

Last year, Marquise Goodwin won the award given annually to the 49ers’ player who is the most professional and cooperative with the media, but the wide receiver seemed to enjoy messing with reporters last week.

When asked about kicking at the field after a dropped pass in practice, Goodwin said it had nothing to with perfectionism: “There was actually a really big bug on the ground, so I wasn’t mad at all.”

After Goodwin said it appeared Ahkello Witherspoon had grown an inch in the offseason, a reporter followed up: Did he mean the promising young cornerback had grown in his standing on the team?

Said Goodwin: “It was a joke.”

Finally, after a reporter spoke at length while addressing him, Goodwin smiled about his long windup: “That’s like 13 questions,” he said.

To be clear, Goodwin wasn’t impolite, but the beat writers and the 49ers’ cornerbacks might have the same takeaway after the first week of training camp: Goodwin might be tougher to cover in 2018.

A year ago, Goodwin became the No. 1 wideout after Pierre Garcon sustained a season-ending injury. Now, Garcon, the team’s most decorated pass-catcher, is back … and Goodwin remains the 49ers’ top wide receiver.

At least that’s the strong impression Goodwin has left his first five training-camp practices, sessions which have suggested he’s bound to build on his breakout season.

To wit: It wasn’t news when Witherspoon said Goodwin — not Garcon — was the toughest wideout to cover on the team.

It’s his “speed and I feel like he’s underestimated as a route runner, as well,” Witherspoon said. “Very intricate routes, detailed routes, combining that with speed that threatens you, you have to respect it and it makes his game complete.”

For his part, head coach Kyle Shanahan suggested Goodwin can’t be handled in single coverage when asked about his ceiling in 2018.

“When you can beat man coverage like that on almost any route we give you, and he’s catching it consistently, we’re excited about his year,” Shanahan said. “And (we) expect him to get a lot of opportunities.”

Last year, Goodwin, 27, a former Olympic long jumper with world-class speed and a skimpy NFL resume, showed he was more than a deep threat. He had 56 catches — seven more than he managed in his first four seasons in Buffalo — and his 956 yards more than doubled his previous career high.

His all-around ability was highlighted when Jimmy Garoppolo became the starting quarterback. In five games with Garoppolo, Goodwin had 29 catches for 384 yards — numbers that would translate to 93 catches and 1,229 yards over a 16-game season — on short and intermediate routes. Of his 29 catches, not one was made more than 20 yards downfield, according to Pro Football Focus.

His season-ending streak was possible because Goodwin’s improved route running allowed him to take advantage of soft coverage from cornerbacks scared of his speed.

About that speed: Goodwin cuts off his team-issued workout shorts to better flash the legs that led him to sign a three-year, $18.85 million extension in the offseason. He owns the fifth-fastest 40-yard dash (4.27) in the history of the NFL combine, and his wheels are still wowing his teammates this summer.

Safety Adrian Colbert said Goodwin is in another league from other players who are mentioned among the NFL’s fastest: “I mean, (Kansas City wide receiver) Tyreek Hill is fast,” Colbert said, “but Marquise is fast, fast.”

Said fullback Kyle Juszczyk: “It looks like he’s floating out there.”

In fact, Goodwin is so fast that he has exposed a flaw, of sorts, in Garoppolo, the franchise savior with a 7-0 career record. What can’t Garoppolo do? Well, he appears incapable of overthrowing Goodwin.

The QB has failed to connect deep with Goodwin on a few occasions during camp when Goodwin has slipped behind the secondary. Garoppolo has said Goodwin’s rare speed means he needs to “tweak a couple of things” in his drop. He explained that meant processing defenses quicker because Goodwin gets down the field so quickly.

“Yeah, unless you can throw the ball 100 yards, you’ve got to speed some things up,” Garoppolo said, smiling. “But it’s really just how you read the play out, though. You’re looking for certain things from the DBs to tip you off — shoulder tilt, hips open, hips closed — whatever it is. You just have to realize those things faster than you would on an average play.”

Though Goodwin has impressed, Garcon, 31, is off to a quiet start to training camp, and Garoppolo has acknowledged they are still building chemistry after they didn’t play together in 2017. However, Garcon, who ranks eighth among active players in receptions (604), figures to rediscover his stride.

Whatever the case, it appears Garcon will be supplanted as the No. 1 wideout because of Goodwin’s continued development, not because of any decline on Garcon’s part.

On Sunday, cornerback Richard Sherman received a rude welcome back from Goodwin in his first padded practice since he tore his Achilles in November. In Sherman’s first snap during a 1-on-1 drill, Goodwin easily eluded him at the line of scrimmage and had at least 4 yards of separation from Sherman when he made a deep over-the-shoulder catch.

Shanahan used the play as a coaching point in a team meeting. He noted that Sherman wasn’t afraid to immediately test himself against “one of the fastest guys on the planet.”

For all his praise, Shanahan has to yet to term Goodwin the best receiver on the team, but that’s not necessary: After Goodwin’s finish in 2017, and his start to 2018, it appears obvious.

This guy is the perfect example of why it is so important to watch WWs closely all season and churn your bench.  I’m guessing that like my league, Goodwin was available for a minimum bid midyear last year in most leagues except the really large ones.  You pick him up as he is showing a little life and looks better than another player at the end of your roster, and if he does nothing the rest of the year he’s an easy preseason drop when cutdowns come.  But if one of these guys hits, like it looks like Goodwin will, you may add a WR2 to your roster for next to nothing.

It’s much more about staying constantly active than it is about some kind of prescient genius (cuz I sure don’t qualify for the latter).

The San Jose Mercury News reports the the Jimmy Garoppolo to Marquise Goodwin connection "grows stronger by the day."

Goodwin is drawing genuine raves for his work early in 49ers camp, with the San Francisco Chronicle proclaiming him the team's No. 1 receiver over Pierre Garcon. The 49ers' official website has called Goodwin a "bonafide No. 1." Per Fantasy Football Calculator, Goodwin is still merely the No. 41 receiver off the board in PPR drafts.

Source: San Jose Mercury News 

Aug 2 - 7:05 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8461/marquise-goodwin

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reports Marquise Goodwin is "clearly Jimmy Garoppolo's favorite target."

This has been the consistent report out of 49ers camp all August, and it certainly looked that way in limited snaps in the preseason opener. Although Pierre Garcon could develop better rapport with Garoppolo as the month goes on, Goodwin looks like the receiver to roster. Aug 14 - 12:10 PM

If the 49ers offense is good he could be a top 12 WR in FF. If they aren't good maybe a WR2

Garrappalos #1 WR

That means something doesn’t it? Speedy Deep threat and solid route runner.
I'm pretty sure when he was on BUF all he ever did was run go routes. I remember posting footage of him last year and being pretty surprised to see his route tree develop. It's probably too early to call him a solid route runner but it's been nice to see him develop his craft, he's definitely not a one trick anymore. I'd also like for his ADP to chill. 

Picked him up last year and was really impressed with him. Was hoping everyone would be focused on Garcon now that he is back and healthy but people starting to talk about Goodwin and my main draft is in a week. Slow it down!

Marquise Goodwin exited Week 1 against the Vikings with a quad injury and is questionable to return.

Goodwin collided with Vikings DT Jaleel Johnson while running a drag route in the second quarter. Before leaving, Goodwin was catch-less on one target. Rookie Dante Pettis is in the game opposite Pierre Garcon.

Sep 9 - 2:00 PM

Marquise Goodwin - WR -  49ers

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Marquise Goodwin is day to day with a bruised thigh.

Goodwin is surely dealing with a deep tissue bruise. He was able to return for a series or two in Week 1 after the injury but had to finally throw in the towel in the third quarter after catching no passes on on one target. It sounds like Goodwin would miss only one game in a worst-case scenario. We'll have another Goodwin update on Wednesday when the Niners practice.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter 

Sep 10 - 7:36 PM

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is "not sure" if Marquise Goodwin (quad) will play Week 2 against the Lions.

Goodwin tried to return to the season opener after suffering a thigh/quad bruise, but he exited for good in the second half and was not able to practice on Wednesday. If he sits, second-round rookie Dante Pettis is expected to serve as the No. 2 option behind Pierre Garcon.

Source: Joe Fann on Twitter 

Sep 13 - 9:32 AM

Goodwin practiced Wed (I believe in a limited way) and while I don't know if he practiced in full (anyone know) I have seen reports that he is expected to play.

Chiefs D is getting torched in the secondary, so it's a juicy match up, and we know Goodwin was a beast in preseason as Garoppolo's favorite target.

Deciding given the opportunity if he's a better start than Golladay, or over guys like Clement/Lindsay in flex. My instinct is to see how he does coming back before trusting that connection is still there, but again, match up just might be too juicy to pass on.

What are you guys and girls doing with Goodwin? Who are you debating starting him over?

Goodwin practiced Wed (I believe in a limited way) and while I don't know if he practiced in full (anyone know) I have seen reports that he is expected to play.

Chiefs D is getting torched in the secondary, so it's a juicy match up, and we know Goodwin was a beast in preseason as Garoppolo's favorite target.

Deciding given the opportunity if he's a better start than Golladay, or over guys like Clement/Lindsay in flex. My instinct is to see how he does coming back before trusting that connection is still there, but again, match up just might be too juicy to pass on.

What are you guys and girls doing with Goodwin? Who are you debating starting him over?
I’m probably going to start him over Hogan if he plays. Like you said, this matchup is great for his game. 

Think I’m going to sit royce freeman for him as my flex play and hope marquise doesnt miss a beat here against the 32nd ranked pass defense.

I also have Allen Robinson on the bench.  That’s a tough one but I figure he’s likely to spend a lot of time on Patrick Peterson island today, and his qb hasnt been especially efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread