What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trade away David Johnson in keeper league? (1 Viewer)

xBlazingSaddles

Footballguy
I’m currently 5-3 in a 12 team keeper league (standard scoring). Right now David Johnson is in my IR spot because he’ll be my 4th round pick next year. My other RBs are Gurley, L. Miller, C. Thompson, R. Kelley, and D. Foreman. My WRs are AJ Green, S. Shepard, C. Davis, and Juju Smith-Schuster. Do you think I should try to trade Johnson for a RB and WR? It’s tough for me to trade him bc I’ll get him in the 4th round next year, 3rd the year after, etc. Teams in the league who won’t make the playoffs would easily pay top dollar for him. Would you try to move him? If so, who would you target? I might be able to get L. Bell and W. Fuller for him, in which case I’d be able to keep bell in the 2nd round next year. My issue with this trade is I think I should try to get a better WR. Whomever I trade Johnson to will be able to keep him next year (4th round), then 3rd round in 2019, 2nd round in 2020, etc. We are only able to keep 2 players each year.  Should I just hang on to him since I'll have him for at least 3 more years, or trade him away to try to win it all this year?  Thanks so much!

I don't know when your trade deadline is, but I'd wait to that week before doing anything. Your current RB's are solid, and your WRs have a #1 already and three upside guys that you can play the matchups with.. I'd wait till the last possible second to avoid trading for someone just to avoid any fluke injury.. I'm 5-3 as well and in a similar spot. The few teams that appear out of it want my 12th round keeper Marlon Mack, but I feel I can wait until week 11 or 12 before moving him. It would be clearer to me at that point to know exactly what kind of player I need to give me the best chance for the playoff weeks..

I would try and trade for a WR. In dynasty, RB is the most volatile position between with committees and guys that seemingly come on out of now where. You could also try and trade Johnson for some team's #1 overall pick and draft Saquon Barkley next year but otherwise, I'd shoot for a WR if you're trying to win it all this year. If you can get Bell and Fuller for him, that seems like a GREAT deal but if you can get a lesser RB and a better WR, I'd go that route.

I don't know when your trade deadline is, but I'd wait to that week before doing anything. Your current RB's are solid, and your WRs have a #1 already and three upside guys that you can play the matchups with.. I'd wait till the last possible second to avoid trading for someone just to avoid any fluke injury.. I'm 5-3 as well and in a similar spot. The few teams that appear out of it want my 12th round keeper Marlon Mack, but I feel I can wait until week 11 or 12 before moving him. It would be clearer to me at that point to know exactly what kind of player I need to give me the best chance for the playoff weeks..
agree with this guy

Realize RB is incredibly volatile, but you're talking about getting DJ in the fourth round, which is an absolute steal. Not to mention he didn't suffer a lower-body injury so he should be good to go when he takes the field. I know some are holding out hope it's this year (myself included), but even if he sits, he's coming back into a prime role next season. I'm not even sure who I'd want in return for that kind of value. OBJ is a massive question mark after his injury; Evans doesn't do it for me; I'm not sold on Barkley or anyone in the '18 draft being a home run right away. Unless you could get Leveon Bell and a pick or something along those lines, I'd hold and see what happens. Agree it doesn't make sense to sell now until your playoff fate is relatively clear. At that point you can decide if it makes sense to play for this season or hold a key piece going into the next. 

I think you all make good points and I'm going to wait a bit longer before making a trade. I wanted Bell and Fuller for Johnson but with Watson out for the rest of the season Fuller's value takes a big hit.  

Realize RB is incredibly volatile, but you're talking about getting DJ in the fourth round, which is an absolute steal. 
I agree completely, which is why its tough to trade him away.  But, Bell is a monster and could put my team over the top, and I would get him in the 2nd round next year so thats still good value.  Just unsure if the getting him for this season and next is worth trading away Johnson who I'd get in the 4th next year, 3rd the year after, etc. 

I'd hang onto him, unless you could get Bell plus something like Cooks or Baldwin, but the only way that works is if the Bell/Cooks owner is already out of it and is playing for next year, and that's probably not likely.  Having DJ at a 4 is awesome value so i'd just keep him.  Your team is solid enough to hang on until he returns

I would try and trade for a WR. In dynasty, RB is the most volatile position between with committees and guys that seemingly come on out of now where. You could also try and trade Johnson for some team's #1 overall pick and draft Saquon Barkley next year but otherwise, I'd shoot for a WR if you're trying to win it all this year. If you can get Bell and Fuller for him, that seems like a GREAT deal but if you can get a lesser RB and a better WR, I'd go that route.
I am not sure this is a wise decision.  They are only allowed 2 keepers and it appears to be based on the round drafted.  There is no way anyone should draft Barkley in the first round in a league with those keeper rules.

Users who are viewing this thread