What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roster evaluation - Do I need to upgrade anywhere? (1 Viewer)

wheeleke

Footballguy
Play in a 10-team, 2 QB, .5 PPR league. We start 2 QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, TE, Flex (RB/WR/TE), K, and DEF. Have a 4-3 record and am in 5th place (6 teams make the playoffs). After some manuevuering via trades and free agency, I have the following roster:

QB - Philip Rivers (bye in Week 9), Kirk Cousins 

RB - Jay Ajayi, Lamar Miller, Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey, David Johnson

WR - DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Alshon Jeffery, Corey Davis

TE - Jimmy Graham

K - Matt Bryant

DEF - Philadelphia, Jacksonville (bye in Week 8; will drop Philadelphia after the bye)

There's not much on waiver wire for QBs; being that it's a 2 QB league, anywhere from 2 to 4 QBs are on a roster. The only guys remaining on waivers are DeShone Kizer, Drew Stanton, Teddy Bridgewater/Sam Bradford.

RBs that I would entertain pursuing on waivers are Dion Lewis, D'Onta Foreman (handcuff to Miller) and Derrick Henry, and WRs on waivers that are intriguing are guys on the Jaguars, Jets, and LA Rams. Greg Olsen remains on waivers and there is word he may begin practicing next week even though he likely isn't eligible to play until Week 11 or 12. 

I could consider trading away Rivers and a player for another quarterback or Rivers straight up for another QB. Guys that I could potentially trade for are Jared Goff (would trade Rivers for him but he has bye this week), Alex Smith (would require trading Rivers and another player - has bye in Week 10), Matt Ryan (not sure I really want to trade for him), Derek Carr (would trade Rivers but has a bye in Week 10), Ben Roethlisberger (would trade Rivers but also has bye in Week 19, Blake Bortles, Marcus Mariota (would trade Rivers but bye in Week 8), and Eli Manning (would trade a skill position player for him). Seems like the best option is to just hold off until Week 8 passes and see what other lineups do or would you make a trade? That seems to be the biggest position of need. I still have an open roster spot to grab someone off waivers and have the option to grab another position player after Week 8 and I drop Philadelphia.

There we go! Trade went through - nice. For your RB, watch Derrick Henry because he's getting more touches lately; also, with Mariota being sluggish, they may resort to running more. Foreman I wouldn't worry too much about because Miller has been healthy and taking up much of the role. So keeping him as a handcuff would be a waste. Lewis is a bit tricky because the Pats are running a multiple-man backfield, but Lewis is more favored. So I'd keep it between Henry and Lewis. Just check their opponents and see which has it easier. Just options but they necessarily won't out-perform any of your current RB's, especially when DJ comes back.

As for possible WR: Anderson (Jets)/Wood (Rams)/ Lee (Jags) >  Kupp (Rams)/Hurns (Jags). Keep a special eye on Dede Westbrook. He's the rookie WR the Jags drafted in the 4th round who has speed and athleticism. He's been out because of core muscle surgery, however they're predicting him to be one of the starter WR for the Jags. Goff may be iffy, but he'll have a valuable weapon who seems better than Lee/Hurn. He won't be back until after their bye. Overall, your WR seem set especially with Corey Davis making a comeback. Now that may decrease Derrick Henry's chances.

For your QB, if you want, make a trade for Alex Smith > Carr/Big Ben. Since you have an open spot, you could just grab a filler QB for the week they're on bye. Rivers seems a bit bumpy right now, but you could keep him if the asking price for the other QB's are a reach. 

For you line-up, I'd keep WR - Hopkins & Thomas, RB - Miller & Kamara, Flex - Ajayi/McCaffrey.

There we go! Trade went through - nice. For your RB, watch Derrick Henry because he's getting more touches lately; also, with Mariota being sluggish, they may resort to running more. Foreman I wouldn't worry too much about because Miller has been healthy and taking up much of the role. So keeping him as a handcuff would be a waste. Lewis is a bit tricky because the Pats are running a multiple-man backfield, but Lewis is more favored. So I'd keep it between Henry and Lewis. Just check their opponents and see which has it easier. Just options but they necessarily won't out-perform any of your current RB's, especially when DJ comes back.

As for possible WR: Anderson (Jets)/Wood (Rams)/ Lee (Jags) >  Kupp (Rams)/Hurns (Jags). Keep a special eye on Dede Westbrook. He's the rookie WR the Jags drafted in the 4th round who has speed and athleticism. He's been out because of core muscle surgery, however they're predicting him to be one of the starter WR for the Jags. Goff may be iffy, but he'll have a valuable weapon who seems better than Lee/Hurn. He won't be back until after their bye. Overall, your WR seem set especially with Corey Davis making a comeback. Now that may decrease Derrick Henry's chances.

For your QB, if you want, make a trade for Alex Smith > Carr/Big Ben. Since you have an open spot, you could just grab a filler QB for the week they're on bye. Rivers seems a bit bumpy right now, but you could keep him if the asking price for the other QB's are a reach. 

For you line-up, I'd keep WR - Hopkins & Thomas, RB - Miller & Kamara, Flex - Ajayi/McCaffrey.
Thanks. Always tinkering with my team. And, yeah, feel good about the trade. I may just puck up Stanton off waivers and at least I have a 3rd QB rostered. I mentioned Foreman so I could stay ahead on waivers because he is still getting a healthy amount of touches. I actually drafted Henry but seemed like a waste of a roster spot despite moments of optimism there.

There is a team with Gordon, Chris Thompson, Duke Johnson, Marshawn, Orleans Darkwa and I considered sending two of my RBs for him. Another team had LeSean McCoy, Mike Gillislee, Ty Montgomery, and James White. So could do a 2 for 1 with those teams at RB but I may save that till trade deadline.

I'd stand pat as far as QB goes and just take my chances with streaming next week - all the options you suggested are just moving around your bye week problem.  So unless you really like one of those guys a lot more than Rivers (and I don't personally), don't see any reason to pay up for any of them.

thanks for answering mine, got a new one if you don't mind

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/762064-tyrod-or-cam-for-mariota-whir/
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/762034-ppr-ros-dion-lewis-or-tarik-cohen-whir/

So if you keep Rivers, you need to grab a WW QB for his bye.  But all those guys you want to trade for have upcoming byes too, and with the exception of Smith I don't see them as an upgrade over Rivers.  Maybe Matt Ryan, but he's very Big Ben-ish so far this year.  I'd sit tight with what you have, unless the Alex Smith guy has 3 QBs and needs a piece somewhere else.  But I feel like Rivers + Kamara/Jeffery/CMC is an overpay, for that I'd be looking more for a Wilson/Wentz level QB.

So if you keep Rivers, you need to grab a WW QB for his bye.  But all those guys you want to trade for have upcoming byes too, and with the exception of Smith I don't see them as an upgrade over Rivers.  Maybe Matt Ryan, but he's very Big Ben-ish so far this year.  I'd sit tight with what you have, unless the Alex Smith guy has 3 QBs and needs a piece somewhere else.  But I feel like Rivers + Kamara/Jeffery/CMC is an overpay, for that I'd be looking more for a Wilson/Wentz level QB.
Yeah. I don't want to really trade away Rivers or Cousins if I don't have to and unless I'm getting a big time QB in return. This team just offered me Larry Fitzgerald and Duke Johnson for Alshon Jeffery and Alvin Kamara. I'm not going to accept but it's a pretty bad offer IMO.

Their roster:

QB - Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Brett Hundley

RB: Melvin Gordon, Chris Thompson, Duke Johnson, Orleans Darkwa, Marshawn Lynch, Alex Collins

WR: Doug Baldwin, Jarvis Landry, Danny Amendola, Larry Fitzgerald

TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

K: Justin Tucker

DEF: Detroit

It's not a good team at all but they're in 6th place in our league at 3-4. Thought about sending Jeffery and Kamara for Jarvis Landry. My RBs would still be Ajayi, Miller, McCaffrey, Dion Lewis and my WRs would be Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and Davis. Otherwise, I'm content sitting where I am for now.

Of the trade QBs you mentioned I only see Alex Smith and Derek Carr as options. They all have pretty good schedules the rest of the season. Smith has a tough week 15, rivers a tough week 10, carr a tough week 12. But for the most part they are facing bottom half pass defenses. No real upgrade to be had now until an injury to a key player changes something. 

Id be curious to see what Ajayi would fetch. I agree with Mkha2240 with Miller and Kamara as your starting rbs and like CM as a flex. With the Dolphins struggling Ajayi may the get volume but be snuffed out at the line with no one afraid of Moore. They face a bottom barrel Ravens tonight, so you may have a sell high scenario before next week. Possibly tag Jimmy G and Ajayi together and upgrade the TE to give you a little more edge in the playoffs.  

Murray gets those lingering injuries he cant seem to shake. Gillislee has had a big drop in usage and lewis has seen the increase. Agreeing with those above that Lewis and Henry are the best options at WW. The Cardinals face each NFC W team once more. Maybe they beat 49ers, lose to the seahawks, and get destroyed by the rams again. Season is done and there is no reason to bring David Johnson back, let Adrian Peterson take the abuse. The DJ situation is gonna be tricky. 

snoochieboochies said:
Of the trade QBs you mentioned I only see Alex Smith and Derek Carr as options. They all have pretty good schedules the rest of the season. Smith has a tough week 15, rivers a tough week 10, carr a tough week 12. But for the most part they are facing bottom half pass defenses. No real upgrade to be had now until an injury to a key player changes something. 

Id be curious to see what Ajayi would fetch. I agree with Mkha2240 with Miller and Kamara as your starting rbs and like CM as a flex. With the Dolphins struggling Ajayi may the get volume but be snuffed out at the line with no one afraid of Moore. They face a bottom barrel Ravens tonight, so you may have a sell high scenario before next week. Possibly tag Jimmy G and Ajayi together and upgrade the TE to give you a little more edge in the playoffs.  

Murray gets those lingering injuries he cant seem to shake. Gillislee has had a big drop in usage and lewis has seen the increase. Agreeing with those above that Lewis and Henry are the best options at WW. The Cardinals face each NFC W team once more. Maybe they beat 49ers, lose to the seahawks, and get destroyed by the rams again. Season is done and there is no reason to bring David Johnson back, let Adrian Peterson take the abuse. The DJ situation is gonna be tricky. 
Thanks I appreciate it. Unfortunately I played Ajayi last night and will just put him on the trading block.

wheeleke said:
Yeah. I don't want to really trade away Rivers or Cousins if I don't have to and unless I'm getting a big time QB in return. This team just offered me Larry Fitzgerald and Duke Johnson for Alshon Jeffery and Alvin Kamara. I'm not going to accept but it's a pretty bad offer IMO.

Their roster:

QB - Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Brett Hundley

RB: Melvin Gordon, Chris Thompson, Duke Johnson, Orleans Darkwa, Marshawn Lynch, Alex Collins

WR: Doug Baldwin, Jarvis Landry, Danny Amendola, Larry Fitzgerald

TE: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

K: Justin Tucker

DEF: Detroit

It's not a good team at all but they're in 6th place in our league at 3-4. Thought about sending Jeffery and Kamara for Jarvis Landry. My RBs would still be Ajayi, Miller, McCaffrey, Dion Lewis and my WRs would be Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and Davis. Otherwise, I'm content sitting where I am for now.
Kamara is basically the RB equivalent of WR Landry in a PPR - I think adding Jeffery is an overpay.  However, since Jeffery has done so little, if you need to throw him into the deal in order to get Landry I don't have a huge issue with it, but I'd start with Kamara straight up first. 

I don't know that you really have the ammo (or the need) to try and get Wilson from this guy.  I'd see how he feels about Carr vs. Rivers, if he sees it as a wash or fairly close then maybe there's something to do there but I wouldn't pay much since I don't think Carr is that much of an upgrade over Rivers.  

Users who are viewing this thread