What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Audiophile help - Vinyl to digital conversion (1 Viewer)

Kanil

Footballguy
Since I've never seen a subject that the FFA hasn't been able to help with, I'm reaching out.  My father-in-law wants to convert all of his vinyl (around 500 albums) to digital.  He's been great to me and my family so I'm looking to do this as a surprise while he's out of town for 3 weeks next month.

• I assume I should buy some sort of software.  There seem to be a ton that come up when I search and I have no idea what to even look for to start comparing them.  Does anyone have any software suggestions?
  • What hardware would I need?  I saw a USB Turntable that I'm assuming would work but I'm not sure if there's a better piece of hardware specifically for this purpose that I could buy to essentially automate the process.
  • If I do need the USB turntable, is there going to be an increase in quality between this $300 one and this $90 one.  If I don't need one, how do I get the current turntable connected to my computer (would use a laptop so installing any special cards is out).
  • How does the transfer occur?  Is it going to be: Start the album > hit record on the laptop > wait for the album to play, or is there some sort of way to speed that process up?  500 albums is a LOT of time so the faster the better!
  • How do I break the albums up into individual tracks for each song?  I'd assume there would be something built into whatever software I use but I've assumed incorrectly before (one time).
Thank you all in advance... you're the best!

I think I'm going with this and then ripping as many albums as possible on my own while he's gone, leaving the rest for him.  It's $400 which is about as much as I was willing to spend but seems to be a decent turntable that will do the job fairly intuitively.  I've added it to my amazon cart and am going to wait a couple weeks to see if they send me a coupon advertisement.  Once I get it in, I'll update the post with results.

Users who are viewing this thread