What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #43 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

1) Buckminster Fuller is the patent holder of the geodesic dome, and soccer-ball shaped carbon molecules are named after him. Which of the following is also true about him?

a) invented the carburetor
b) was a member of a World Cup winning championship team
c) used a lever to move a 20 ton statue by himself
d) documented his life in 15 minutes increments
e) all of the above

d) Fuller documented 63 years of his life from 1920 to 1983 in 15 minute increments. Fuller called his manuscript Dymaxion Chronofile, and once said of it: "If somebody kept a very accurate record of a human being, going through the era from the Gay '90s, from a very different kind of world through the turn of the century—as far into the twentieth century as you might live. I decided to make myself a good case history of such a human being and it meant that I could not be judge of what was valid to put in or not. I must put everything in, so I started a very rigorous record."

2) In 1493, King James IV of Scotland reportedly sent a deaf-mute woman and two newborn babies to live on an isolated island as an experiment. What was the experiment meant to test?

James's aim was to see what language, if any, the children acquired with no other linguistic input. He believed that a resulting language, whatever it might be, must be an innate, God-given language of mankind. It is not the first time a monarch has conducted such an experiment. Herodotus recorded that in the 7th century BCE that Egyptian pharaoh Psamtik I did a similar experiment, as did Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II.

3) On live television in 1987, this celebrity shook the hands of an HIV/Aids patient without wearing gloves. This was considered a landmark event in challenging the public notion that HIV/Aids was passed from person to person by touch. Who was the celebrity?

a) Michael Jackson
b) Aretha Franklin
c) Johnny Carson
d) Ronald Reagan
e) Princess Diana

e) Princess Diana

4) This actor had originally wanted to be a doctor, but couldn't afford medical school. He was later proud of the number of people who told him that his portrayal of a doctor inspired them to become doctors. He said, "You can win awards... but to influence the youth of the country... is an award that is not handed out by the industry."

DeForest Kelley, who played Doctor McCoy in the original Star Trek television series.

5) When the Queen of England visited the set of Game of Thrones, the shows makers wanted to get a picture of her seated on the Iron Throne. The Queen refused. Why?

There is an actual rule that the British monarch may not sit on any foreign throne, real or otherwise.

6) A molecule is an electrically neutral group of two or more atoms held together by chemical bonds. Water contains 3 atoms (2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen). The largest known molecule in nature contains over 10 billion atoms. What is it?

The biggest molecule in nature resides in your body. It is Chromosome 1, and each holds about 8% of the DNA in a cell. Full credit for "Chromosome" or "DNA".

7) What did Eostre contribute to modern society?

a) developed first process allowing printing presses to print photographs
b) perfected the steam engine
c) created first aqueducts, founder of fluid dynamics
d) invented the curling iron
e) the Easter bunny

e) the Easter bunny.  Eostre, or Eastra to the Saxons, was a Germanic fertility goddess who had her festival around the spring equinox. One of Eostre’s symbols of fertility was a bunny rabbit, thanks to their prolific reproductive cycles. The Christian church co-opted Eostre's festival to celebrate the ressurection. The result, Easter, still bears Eostre's name. And her bunnies.

8) What planet spins the fastest on its axis?

Jupiter, whose days are just under 10 hours. Being a gas planet, different parts of Jupiter rotate at different rates. The equator rotates at about 28,000 mph. Earth's equator rotates at a comparatively laggardly 1000 mph.

9) If you robbed a bank, took all of the money in the bank, and found it totaled $15,140, then which bank did you probably rob?

The bank in the game Monopoly. It contains 20 orange $500 bills, 20 beige $100 bills, 30 green $50 bills, 50 blue $20 bills, 40 yellow $10 bills, 40 pink $5 bills, and 40 white $1 bills = $15,140.

10) True or False. Taking baths was once outlawed in some parts of the US because doctors considered them hazardous to people's health.

False. This was actually a factoid from a 1917 hoax newspaper article about a made up 75th anniversary of the creation of the bath tub. The article was meant to highlight the American public's gullibility. In the years that followed, the article was reprinted in multiple newspapers, and the fabricated facts appeared in some reference books.

Last edited by a moderator:
5/10.  Was able to guess all the multiple choices, which boosted my score this time around.  :thumbup:

Thanks as always, love these.

4/10

What is up with question 5?  Why is there even a rule for that?
I wasn't able to find anything on it other than the makers of the show had clarified that was why in interviews.

Perhaps it is something to do with making sure the monarch was focused on Britain and didn't end up joining it with another country they also ruled, or something like that?   And "sitting" on the throne is being interpreted literally here?  Just guessing at something that might make some sense.

Users who are viewing this thread