What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Question (1 Viewer)

dagman

Footballguy
I'm in a 12-team, PPR Keeper League with fairly normal scoring. We get bonus points for TDs over 35 yds. 
Every team keeps up to 4 players with 16 player rosters.

My Keepers
QB: Luck - 6th round
RB: Gordon - 2nd round
RB: Peterson - 16th round
WR: Cooks - 4th round

I pick 6th in every round. 

I'm torn between taking the best RB available in the first round or best WR of those available. My inclination is to take Cook as I don't pick again until the 3rd round and I want another stud RB to take the place of Peterson in the next couple years. Am I wrong?
RBs

.Cook, Dalvin MIN RB (R)9

McCaffrey, Christian CAR RB (R)11

.Mixon, Joe CIN RB (R)6

Montgomery, Ty GBP RB8

.Anderson, C.J. DEN RB5

.Ingram, Mark NOS RB5

.Hunt, Kareem KCC RB (R)10

Henry, Derrick TEN RB8

Lacy, Eddie SEA RB6

Riddick, Theo DET RB7

Prosise, C.J. SEA RB6

Mack, Marlon IND RB (R)11

Lynch, Marshawn OAK RB

WRs:

Nelson, Jordy GBP WR8

Hilton, T.Y. IND WR11

Parker, DeVante MIA WR11

Baldwin, Doug SEA WR6

Allen, Keenan LAC WR9

Hill, Tyreek KCC WR10

Bryant, Martavis PIT WR9

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR5

Cooper, Amari OAK WR10

Benjamin, Kelvin CAR WR11

Diggs, Stefon MIN WR9

Moncrief, Donte IND WR11

Cobb, Randall GBP WR8

Jackson, DeSean TBB WR11

Brown, John ARI WR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll go with cooper or jordy. I like mccaffrey but i need  to see him in action. Jordy and cooper are soild

I'm not sold on cook nor any rb in that offense and behind that line.  If possible I would trade down and take someone like Henry or Keenan Allen.  I think Benjamin Moncrief and Mack have very good value where they are listed too (Mack is only 21 years old btw, he could be huge in keeper leagues).  If you keep the pick I think I'd go McCaffrey over Cook.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sold on cook nor any rb in that offense and behind that line.  If possible I would trade down and take someone like Henry or Keenan Allen.  I think Benjamin Moncrief and Mack have very good value where they are listed too (Mack is only 21 years old btw, he could be huge in keeper leagues).  If you keep the pick I think I'd go McCaffrey over Cook.
Trades aren't allowed prior to the draft.

Your just going to get so many different answers... is your keeper Cooks NE? that's good. It's a good year for rookie RB (in reality we don't know but it seems deep)- Cook, McCafferey, Mixon and Hunt. I don't know who of those to take! who knows who will be the stud.  PPR.. Jordy, TY Hilton, Cooper... all good. Either way, WR or RB, is a viable approach, It's hard to pass on a WR in PPR, you probably start 2 or 3 or at least have a flex. But there are more WR's out there, a starting RB is scarce. How does your league go? You may find that WR's get snatched up so you need to pounce. There are a lot of good PPR receivers deeper in the draft imo, like Diggs, Maclin, Crowder.... Ty Montgomery is also an interesting RB, but a rookie in the wings. Tough one, good luck!

Thanks for your help.

How long do you get to keep these players?  I ask because it may make those rookies much more valuable if you can keep them for several seasons.

I'm usually of the mindset that if you can shore up your RB corps, do so.  It's normally easier to find WRs that will help you later in the draft than RBs.  A 1-2 punch of Gordon & Cook/McCaffrey/Mixon would have me ready to get the season started.  Yes, your WR2 would be weaker, but I don't see any WR listed there who I'd take over any of those 3 rookie RBs in a keeper league format.

I think PPR shortens the distance among the 3 RBs, but Cook should be in line for the most touches all season.  Volume alone makes him the most valuable.  I would give McCaffrey a slight edge over Mixon simply because McCaffrey is starting week 1.  I expect Mixon to start soon, but who knows if that's in the first month, or later?

I like your instinct to go after another RB to pair with Gordon.  I understand taking Jordy or even Keenan if you're sold on him staying healthy, but I would have a hard time passing on any of those RBs.

Good luck!

I would pick Jordy Nelson (1st Round) and I would try to pick any of those RB on 3rd Round: Cook, McCaffrey, Lynch, Hunt or Mixon.

Thanks for all the answers, guys. 
There was a huge run on rookie RBs right out of the gate. McCaffrey, Mixon, and Fournette were all picked before my choice at #6, along with Nelson and Cooper. I ended up going with Cook at 1.06, 
So my final roster (draft round) looks like this:

QB: Luck (6, keeper), Palmer (11)
RB: Cook (1) Gordon (2, keeper), Peterson (16, keeper), Riddick (10) D. Washington (FA pickup)
WR: Cooks (4, keeper), Parker (3), Moncrief (5), John Brown (8), Fuller (12, IR), Beasley (14)
TE: C. Fleener (9, missed out on the TE rush), J. Thomas (15)
 K: Crosby (13)
DST: Seattle (7)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

How long do you get to keep these players?  I ask because it may make those rookies much more valuable if you can keep them for several seasons.

I'm usually of the mindset that if you can shore up your RB corps, do so.  It's normally easier to find WRs that will help you later in the draft than RBs.  A 1-2 punch of Gordon & Cook/McCaffrey/Mixon would have me ready to get the season started.  Yes, your WR2 would be weaker, but I don't see any WR listed there who I'd take over any of those 3 rookie RBs in a keeper league format.

I think PPR shortens the distance among the 3 RBs, but Cook should be in line for the most touches all season.  Volume alone makes him the most valuable.  I would give McCaffrey a slight edge over Mixon simply because McCaffrey is starting week 1.  I expect Mixon to start soon, but who knows if that's in the first month, or later?

I like your instinct to go after another RB to pair with Gordon.  I understand taking Jordy or even Keenan if you're sold on him staying healthy, but I would have a hard time passing on any of those RBs.

Good luck!
There is no time limit on the keepers. They can be kept as long as we want them and their draft position doesn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread