What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Defiant Ones - HBO (1 Viewer)

zoonation

Footballguy
Four part documentary on the rise of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine.  Part one aired last night.  Part two goes tonight.

If you are not watching this you should be.  The production is excellent.

That is all.

Just came to post about this.

Watched the first 2.5 last night.

Really excellent

ETA: You can watch them all On Demand presently

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying it thus far.  I'm familiar with Dre's story as NWA was a big part of my youth but really finding the Iovine stuff interesting.  I didn't have any idea he was involved in the production side of things for guys such as Bruce so early on.  Hopefully they'll start digging more into Dre's personal life and why he beat up all these women.  

I used to work for Atlantic Records at Time Warner, so I always love these record industry series/shows. I used to work for Doug Morris, so this past episode was especially interesting to me since it talked about the time he was fired. For a while, I was his personal runner. I had to do some interesting things to say the least.  It's such a sleazy industry. It's funny to see how repulsed they were by the Death Row violence. They did plenty of repulsive things on their own.

This show is absolutely amazing.

I knew who Jimmy was before this but had no idea the impact he has had on music.  Telling Dre to forget shoes and stay in the music field and go for headphones is just staying way ahead of the game. 

Major said:
Enjoying it thus far.  I'm familiar with Dre's story as NWA was a big part of my youth but really finding the Iovine stuff interesting.  I didn't have any idea he was involved in the production side of things for guys such as Bruce so early on.  Hopefully they'll start digging more into Dre's personal life and why he beat up all these women.  
Note, I am not saying the MTV black chick interviewer deserved to get harassed or anything but you can see why he was mad at the way the interview was done and the way they took it to Cube and spliced in the replies.  Bush league.  And suing for 10 million?  GTFO

Note, I am not saying the MTV black chick interviewer deserved to get harassed or anything but you can see why he was mad at the way the interview was done and the way they took it to Cube and spliced in the replies.  Bush league.  And suing for 10 million?  GTFO
She got beat and bloodied.   If you don't know Dee Barnes, you really should.  Big part of hip hop.  Pretty much a fluff piece for Dre.  It's about time he acknowledged it and showed some remorse.  He ignored it for so long.  

Another one of Dre's victims:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/surviving-compton-dre-suge-michelle_us_57f67929e4b0c1a524cbbd0f

As for the group split, it produced Cube and Dre's best work.  Americas Most Wanted was Cube at his best and #####z4Life probably featured Dre's best production work.  Yes, better than The Chronic.  

Born to Run

Damn the Torpedoes

Making Movies

insane
Yeah, dude is a boss on the production and business side.  Really impressive.  I knew he was a mogul but as I mentioned earlier, didn't realize his scope on the production front.  And all those early U2 records.  GTFO.  

2 other things that I take from that show.

1. Suge is truly a despicable human

2.  I could listen to the snoop interview parts on loop

For the most part, it was great.  Episode 4 was the one I liked the least, did seem like a commercial.  Now I know why some of the critics say it was a bit too long.  

I binged this show Tuesday evening with the wife.  I only knew Jimmy Iovine from seeing him on the news when Beats sold, and probably wouldn't have recognized him if they hadn't showed that.  It was spectacularly done.  Episode 4 was the weakest, but I found the few Eminem stories entertaining.

Really liked the first two.  Agree that 4 was the weakest.

I felt like 3 was not as good as two, but partly because there was just so much that they tried to cover. It felt less coherent and impactful as the first 2.

No one has stepped in $hit more times than Iovine 

Beatles-Bruce-tom petty Stevie nicks-u2-nine inch nails-PAC- dre which lead to Eminem 50 and Bieber- Gaga 

Watched the first 2. Great so far.

The dude who owned the night club where Dre started needs his own show. Love that guy's stories.

"#### Tha Police" written in part because NWA loved to paintball :lol:

I put off watching the 4th episode because of some of the negative reviews here but I actually really liked it. Put a nice cap on the series. I didn't think it was a great show but was definitely worth watching. I had never even heard of Iovine until this show.

Users who are viewing this thread